Dinner at Captain's table

cruisebliss

As you can see there are a lot of reasons people are chosen. There are some guidelines when it comes to suite passengers and frequent cruisers and the rest vary. I'm sure it depends on the individual ship as well.

I was not trying to be sarcastic either LoisR and I really hope no one took it that way. I agree with MaBell, there are many reasons why folks are chosen. On the last cruise at the CC cocktail party they acknowledged a couple that had sailed X 27 times, yet they did not get an invitation. I know this because they told us. So yep I think it is the luck of the draw.

At any rate, if you are invited, don't turn it down, it is a very pleasant experience.

Happy Sailing to All and To All Have a Great Cruise!!!!!!!! :D

Hi:) I didn't take your post that way...I just thought If you really wanted a direct answer (from the Horse's Mouth) maybe you want to call HQ;)

Ma Bell, You hit the nail on the head. But if you mingle with the right people it will enhance your chances. As I said in my earlier post, talking with the senior officers and social hosetss is always a good way to put you in the mix of maybe's. We haven't stayed in a suite or PH yet, and have always been very social with everyone onboard guests and crew alike. It took us eleven cruises with Celebrity to be asked, but well worth the wait.

We were invited to dinner at the Captains table last week on the Zenith. It was only our second cruise with Celebrity. We had major issues with our stateroom/attendant so we are guessing that was the reason for the invite. We received the phone call in the cabin about 90 minutes before dinner. It was quite an experience to have access to the Staff Captain sitting directly across from you. I asked as many questions as I could think of. :)

we were on one celebrity or was it rccl??? forget, when we didn't like the table they assigned us because it was too small, the head waiter just said, i am putting you at one of the officer's table, is that okay??? we said sure. i don't know why we were asked, serendipity i think. we have sailed rccl and celebrity about 25 times, but at that time it was maybe our 5th cruise. i think they pick at random, but we were at his table the whole cruise, and he bought us drinks!!!!!

I guess we were fill ins, but it was worth the experience. I almost turned the invitation down. I would have been kicking myself! I was friendly with the Assistant Maitre' D. My Assistant Maitre' D served the Captains table the first formal. He noticed that I was intently watching him so meticulously setting the table.

The first formal the captain was present at the late seating. On the second formal, to which we were invited, the captain was present at the early seating.

My mom and sister were in the PH on their first three Celebrity cruises, and I was in the CS for one of those, and they never received an invitation to anyone's table. On last year's Summit cruise, the social hostess "interviewed" mom and sis and nothing came of it. On our cruise this past March, all three of us were in the PH and we recieved an invitation on the morning of the evening they wanted us at the table, and we declined. We had reservations for the Normandie, and we felt that it wasn't fair to receive less than 8 hours notice for this invitation. We'll probably never get another invite, which doesn't bother us one bit because it's just not something we think is all that fantastic. I've dined with Captains on Seabourn and Crystal, and while it's nice to have a chance to talk to the Captain, unless you're seated right next to him, it's not easy to have much of a conversation.

We have been invited each time we cruise. Each time we decline. We cruise to "escape" and so enjoy just sharing meal times with our family - a rare thing shoreside. I certainly can understand couples travelling alone enjoying the social aspect though.

• 4 weeks later...

Our last cruises - 2 7 day back to back - we were invited to dine with the Captain the second 7 days. We were cruising with 2 Friends we had met from another cruise and my Mother. We were all invited - the night before we received our invitation. I was terrified...then thought...WHY? We will be with interesting people, etc. We had a BLAST and after the dinner and the Captain's Cocktail Party we were invited to meet the Captain and the Staff Captain in the Redevous Lounge for drinks. We had soooo much fun!! They were great and we all talked for over two hours. It was a major highlight of our trip.

I totally understand having dinner with one's Family - my DH travels all year and our cruise is the time the he, Mother, Brother and I have Family time...and that is so important. But I have to say - if invited again, we will happily accept.

Happy Cruising to All! Take CAre! Allena

I think once you initially get invited to the first formal night with the Captain you are always invited regardless of the room category.

We got invited years back on the Century and each subsequent time we cruised I got the "A" List (first formal night with the captain) invitation.

I would never be so gosh and decline no matter what the reason.

On a seven day or 14 day cruise with friends or family there is nothing that earthshaking that would preclude me from skipping a meal with them and joining the captain.

Don

idssms, How do they know you have been invitied to the Captain's table previously? We loved going. Will always go when asked! a

Lady

Its on a computer somewhere at HQ and I am sure of that ,, why???

I was on the Zenith in Jan for a 14 day cruise that was a last minute thing for us. It was $700 per person for a CC category and it was a great deal when you figure it out..

Anyway,

The Captains first dinner was the next day. Cruise left Sunday, the dinner was the following day, Monday night or which was the first night at sea.

Follow this:

I didnt know a soul on the Zenith, got on at 3:00 or so. Never spoke with anyone that day.

After dinner at around 10:00 pm on sunday, I received a printed invite to the Captains "A" List first dinner for the next night (mon).

I called the Social Hostess to confirm. I asked her how she got my name??

She said the invitations were printed earlier in the day from a list they get from HQ in Miami... Meaning,, they have to have my name on some computer saying that either I am a good talker, good dinner mate or my wife is pretty,, who knows why... but it happens everytime..

Check out my last cruise on the Millie in the Photo Gallery , it has the Captains Dinner Pictures on one of the Millennium Albums. We had a blast..

But , they do have a pc with secret info on it...

check out my review on there in the review area of the Millennium, its the first and lastest one.

more qu's,, come back at me..

don

Question - According to the blurb we received when we became Elite Status - we were told that if space were available we "might" be invited to dine with the Captain.

OK - we are traveling with two other couples. Would they be invited as well if we mentioned that to whom ever did the inviting??? On one hand I would hate to turn down such an honor - on the other - these are friends of 40 years - I am sure they would understand but I wouldn't slight them.

They probably would not invite friends of yours to the captains table.

If someone was my real friend meaning they knew how important it would be to me to join the captain they would understand and want you to attend.

On a 7 night cruise you can eat with your friends 3 times a day or 21 meals. I think they would understand that one night you may not be with them. If they were unforgiving I wouldnt think they were true friends.

Just my take on it but I would never disrespect the captain and decline.

Don

Question - According to the blurb we received when we became Elite Status - we were told that if space were available we "might" be invited to dine with the Captain.

OK - we are traveling with two other couples. Would they be invited as well if we mentioned that to whom ever did the inviting??? On one hand I would hate to turn down such an honor - on the other - these are friends of 40 years - I am sure they would understand but I wouldn't slight them.

Hi Hermang !

They would (more than likely) not be invited. I was on Summit 2 months ago, and I was invited, while my Sister and husband were not invited. It created a very awkward situation for me, but my Sister "insisted" that I sit at the Captain's table. She agreed that it was only 1 night, and they totally understood.

I did accept the invite, and I was glad I did. It was a wonderful experience.

We had dinner with the Chief Engineer on the Galaxy. It was our first cruise on Galaxy. We also had dinner at the captains table on our two RCL cruises. Who knows why? This time while having drinks before dinner the group all tried to see what we had in common. There was nothing. I know it has nothing to do with being in a suite, even though we were. There were alot of couples in suite on our floor that didn't get invite's. I mean, do the math. Their aren't enough formal dinners to include all the guests in suites alone.

Hi Again, Don, I know you will think I am crazy, but I don't know where to find the photo gallary or the review. Would you post a link? I tried to find it before I asked, but haven't had any luck...it's probably VERY EASY to find...I just haven't been able to. Thanks tons! Allena

Lois R is correct when she stated that this topic comes up every few months. On our very first Celebrity cruise on Mercury, we were invited to have dinner at the Captain's Table and we accepted. Our host was the Hotel Director and he was somewhat of a bland person and it was an interesting evening, but also somewhat ho-hum. Since we were not then a member of the Captain's Club, we assumed that we were invited because we had a Royal Suite.

Our second cruise was on Century, and again we were invited to have dinner with the Captain at his table. We had a Royal Suite, and were Classic Members of the Captain's Club. This was a great great evening with Captain Skylongiannis who was a wonderful and witty host.

On our cruise on Century in February, we again had a Royal Suite, but were not invited. We had a replacement Captain for this cruise because the regular Captain was on vacation. Not really certain on this cruise there were any invitations. On our first day on Century, we talked to the Maitre'd about our table situation, and glanced down at his desk as saw a short list entitled "VIP's". Our names were on it, and it seemed to be printed. My impression was that it was a listing of the pax in the PH and RS.

With our three cruises, they have moved us to Select. We will see if we get an invite on our Galaxy cruise in October. We again have a RS.

Hi Again, Don, I know you will think I am crazy, but I don't know where to find the photo gallary or the review. Would you post a link? I tried to find it before I asked, but haven't had any luck...it's probably VERY EASY to find...I just haven't been able to. Thanks tons! Allena

Lady

Here is a link to the pictures

Page 3 has the Millie on it with abt 4 albums

http://community.webshots.com/user/irwind101

Archived