Dinner at Captain's table

cruisebliss

Phil

it was better than nice.

They really took extra special care of me.

But, going down to the bottom of the ship and standing on deck -5 was such an experience... A the jet turbine engines roaring away running the ship was something I never thought I would see.

I cant explain how big each of the minus decks are and how many people work down there behind the scenes,, people you will never see on a cruise. They never come up except to go out when we dock.

Breakfast with the captain several times was something new and the Olympic was just a breath taking experience esp when you are with the Hotel Director... I never paid for any of my Olympic Dinners. Nothing , even Raddison, Crystal, Seaboune would ever best this Millennium Trip I just took. I guaranty those snobs on the so-called "luxury ships" have never had the experience I did on this last Mille Cruise in the Penthouse Suite..

Thanks for your comments Phil.

Don in Rainy Fl

Idssms.......

Thanks for all the fantastic suite pictures and a most intriguing review of your experience cruising in the Penthouse Suite on your Millie TransAtlantic. If you love being "treated famously", I'm sure there's nothing like it. (Couldn't possibly be better on any of the luxury ships!!!)

We'll be on the Millie in a Celebrity Suite on her November return to Fort Lauderdale. Could you tell me which two Celebrity Suites you photographed in your pics? We've sailed in 6104 on the Summit a few times. (Millie's Celebrity Suites look a little more elegant!)

We also have been invited to the Captains Table several times.......once in a SS, CS and CC. Each time we felt it was because of the Social Hostess/Captains Club Hostess.

M&M's

M&M's,, no choc mess

Let me explain this slowly:

Our PS was on the left side of the ship in the back as it faced forward.

The CS suites were on the right side of the ship. I got lost the first day before anyone boarded (I boarded real early) and was on the right side and took those pics. It was the Penthouse deck and those CS cabins were all together in the middle.

I was pleasantly surprised how stunning they were. I never really saw good pictures of CS class suites so I took a bunch of pics. IF I were doing Alaska or somewhere in the cold,,, that is a magnificant suite to be in because the view out of those windows is specatcular,, better than the PS view. You are right on the water in those suites.

The bedroom had a little office in it and the baths were very nicely done.

Each CS had a different look.

I would take a CS over a RS. That window did me in.

On the Zenith , the invitations were printed before we got on board so I dont think the SH had much to do with it. I really think its predetermined. Maybe the home office checks everyone out by demographics and if you have a house worth over $500K you are invited... I dunnnnnnnno. But, most of the guests are pre selected.

Agreed, the SH can fill gaps esp if someone declines.

I cant believe someone would be so rude and decline. The ones that say they do on here have never been invited, especially to the first dinner with the captain. But who cares if its true or not.

Anyway, thanks so much M&M for your positive comments.

How about sending me a few bag of M and M's?? I really like them,,,

Don

Thanx Don..........

Great...........that CS cabin you photogaphed is 6104, and the one we'll have on the Millie. We can tell by the way the furniture was situated. We did the CS on the Summit to Alaska.....BREATHTAKING VIEWS!!! Also did the same cabin on the Panama. Friends of ours had a royal and liked ours much better. And the weather was so hot and humid, it was delightful just sitting in our air conditioning splendor viewing the transit. The night the ship was tendered off Panama City, we enjoyed a magnificent romantic dinner in the cabin. We had the butler set the table in front of the windows and were mesmerized by the beauty of the night lights of the city. A night we'll never forget!

Chocolate or peanut?

M&M's :)

I cant believe someone would be so rude and decline. The ones that say they do on here have never been invited, especially to the first dinner with the captain. But who cares if its true or not.

I'm just wondering why it would be considered rude to decline? I'll admit, I've never been invited to dine with the captain, however I would decline in a heartbeat if I ever were. It's not like the captain doesn't have 2,000 other people from which to choose from. I'll leave that honor to someone who would enjoy it. I wouldn't.

Lady Hawk

Here is my review on this board,,just click the link

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=10960

Did the wines served for dinner all come from the regular dining room wine list, or the specialty restaurant list?

The review was great, but... for the $119 in scotch, any chance you could take the additional time to fill the rest of us in on Decks 1 thru -5? As you note, even a Penthouse guest has to be awfully persistent, so the rest of us will have to walk those decks vicariously through your report. So report, Ensign Don!

Did the wines served for dinner all come from the regular dining room wine list, or the specialty restaurant list?

The review was great, but... for the $119 in scotch, any chance you could take the additional time to fill the rest of us in on Decks 1 thru -5? As you note, even a Penthouse guest has to be awfully persistent, so the rest of us will have to walk those decks vicariously through your report. So report, Ensign Don!

Ensign Don here!!!

Thanks for the compliments on my review!!!

In the specialty restaurant on the Millennium (Olympic) when you order wine it comes from their wine cellar which is a private room off the main dining room. If you check out my pictures "dinner with the macksters" that is the wine cellar and you will see all the wines on the walls behind us. They keep this room at an exact temperature all the time.

Fabio, the restaurant Mgr said there is a bottle of french red wine that goes for $17,000. It came off of the Olympic Ship which was a sister ship to the Titanic. The walls and decor in the Olympic Specialty Restaurant are from the original ship. Some family in the Hamptons bought the inside of the ship years ago and Celebrity bought the house in the Hamptons just to get all the paneling and decor. That bottle of red wine is from 1923 I think. I offered him a price but he laughed at my offer. I figure what could something 82 years old taste like. I bet this bottle will never be opened.

OK, mini review:

The shows we saw were very good. I like the Broadway stuff so I went to all the shows with the Celebrity Singers and dancers. I had not one complaint. Carmen, a female singer was on the ship for a week and my wife and I got to know her. She was amazing and we went to all her shows.

The food in the main dining room was excellent. The waiters were great too. I had a waiter that I knew from the Zenith (Sebby) and he just couldnt do enough. I stuck to beef and chicken for dinner at the Metropolitan Dining Room. The filets were to die for, no knife needed. The shrimp cocktails were jumbo. My wife and I sat alone but we talked through out the meal with neighbors that sat alone so we had a regular crowd. And lots of folks stopped by the table passing by to say hi. I met hundreds of folks on this cruise and email a lot of them, keeping our crazy thread up. We had the best roll call thread imaginable. For lunch I tried everything different like Pad Tai, Indian food twice (excellent), shepherds pie, Nasi (great stuff,, beans rice chicken shrimp),, I had things that Susan cant or doesnt make at home for lunch each day. We ate lunch in our room everyday of this cruise. We would normally invite a couple or two to join us for drinks and lunch each day. Every day I exercised and met folks doing the same. If they stuck a chord with me, they would be a frequent guest of mine.

Passengers:

Absolutely no shoving, no shouting,,, everyone was on their best behavior on this cruise. You could not find a group of more friendly cruisers than on this transatlantic. Peachy, everyone. No seat saving for the shows, no chair hogs the one day I went by the pool and nothing obnoxious.

Ports:

Puerto Rico

Stayed on the ship. I have been there too many times.

St Thomas

Walked to go shopping. Lots of jewlery. Susan got some minor things, thank G-D.

Lisbon

I organized a tour before hand with Jose. Worked fine, we had about 40 people join me. I was able to get some folks at the dock since there were several seats left, i negotiated $50 per person for an 8 hour tour which went all over and had a great tour guide. I took this same tour last Sept 04. I think everyone had a great time. Well they told me that anyway. Hmmmm , I didnt get any tip!!! LOL

Malaga

Susan and I did the downtown tour. They had a BMW exhibit and I spent some time there. We were just there so again, I didnt want to repeat anything we did last Sept.

Gibraltar

Best shopping place for llardo on the planet. Susan bought 4 nice pieces and they shipped them to us in FL... They arrived like clockwork for the price agreed upon. Use the ships recommended stores.

Barcelona: Whisked to the airport for a 10 30 am flt to Kennedy. Made it with time to spare. Celebrity did a great job of embarkation.

Bars: Great bars and bartenders. Lots of them know magic and will dazzle you all night long. I showed them my stuff and they knew all my tricks so I couldnt impress them. We stuck to the bar right off the dining room. We also did the Roundez vous room bar. At night we frequented Cosmos,, great place to mingle. The brass hangs there too after midnight. If you want to schmooz, hang there and you will meet them all. The brass happen to be very friendly on X ships.

Activities: We didnt do much trivia, karaoke, lectures, talent shows. We were busy entertaining everyday. I didnt hear any complaints though about any of the activities.

All I can say is I would repeat this in a heartbeat. I tried to duplicate this cruise in Nov coming back but my room is sold out. There is nothing really open. When the schedules open up for the same cruise next year, Lori my agent will book it the first day and at least I am guaranteed the same experience.

One negative: I didnt like all the time zone changes in going east. Every night for 6 nights we lost an hour and I was tired and so was the staff tired.

If you have a choice go west and gain an hour each night!! Last Sept we went from Rome to Baltimore and gain 6 hours and it was so much nicer.

The library was great. We took a bunch of books out to read on the balcony. No late fees!!!

The computer cafes were great, live instructors and great new PCs. Good internet packages. Not run by Celebrity, separate company rents space and does the internet labs and cafes AND sets the prices per minute.

We had the best time!!

Anything else, just ask me..

Captain Don here

ps,, thanks walt

Am I right in assuming you meant to type 'gauche' in this sentence? It just doesn't seem to make too much sense otherwise.

You assumed right,, did you really have to make that point???

I typed it phonetically and I am sure everyone knew what I was trying to say. I have no idea why you needed to point that out.

So, its a french word I see. I never did well in french.

Don

Thanks for your perspective. I would like to know how the tips were split and especially how much you tipped the 'bar girls'. That's always a question mark for me.

Thanks so for taking the time to give us a very different view!

It is not considered rude to decline an invitation to dine at the Captain's Table. We declined once because our teenage children were with us and we preferred to dine as a family. On every other occasion we have accepted the invitations and had a wonderful time.

Ms Gail:

Since my drinks were comped the entire cruise at the end of the cruise I saw all my favorite bar servers and invited them in groups of 2 to the PS. I gave each of the bar waiters that "touched us" $100 in an envelope and 3 of the bartenders $50 (since they make more money then the servers).

At first I had a bit of a hassle getting staff into my suite but that was easily rectified. Apparently it is against Celebrity Policy for anyone to come to the Guest rooms which made no sense to me, especially when my wife and I specifically invited them.

Again, I normally dont get involved in tipping threads on here because for some reason some posters get very nasty with me but in my Millie review I took the liberty of telling it like is.

When we first stated cruising in the early 80's I am sure the "standard tips" were very close to what they are now (maybe a dollar a day different) and they have not kept up with inflation. But, how much have our U.S. salaries gone up since the early 80's? 10 or 20 fold????? I sure (when I worked) made so much more in the 2000's than I did in the 80's. So I use that analogy in tipping. The cruise lines need to increase the mininum or standard tip at least 2x to $10 per day pp for the room steward and the waiter. Imagine if you made $3.50 per day per person for each cabin you cared for in 1995 and in 2005 you are still getting the same amount. It's all relative meaning the attendent or waiter has less money today.

We told our travel agent Lori that when this same cruise opens up next year and I would really like to go west (time zone changes are to our benefit) to book the Penthouse Suite 6147 again and she will the day the itinerary opens up. Because of my generous ways with a lot of different workers on the Millennium I will experience the same exact service that I did this past May. Even though Celebrity treats EVERYONE special and I have observed this time and time again watching how the staff talks with the cruisers, I feel that I get outstanding treatment.

As you know I was on the Zenith in Jan 05. We booked 3 weeks before sail for almost nothing ($$s) and Celebrity upgraded up us from a low category to CC class. At that time I wasnt even a Select Member but on my previous cruises I took care of staff generously and someone somewhere is aware of this but I dont do it for that,, it just is fact. I had a great time on the Zenith. I had dinner with Captain Georgio the first sea night and he invited me up to the bridge twice with my wife, the last invite we had champagne and hor dourves. And that was a $700 deal for 14 days (LOL,,my tips exceeded the price of the cruise!!)... Even tho the room on the zenith was tiny, we had a great cruise. I am hooked on the M class ships now and will never take the C or smaller again. That Penthouse suite just has me dazzled.

In Sept 05 we are taking a mini vacation on the Caribbean Princess for 7 days in the Grand Suite (one on the ship) which Priness says is the best suite at sea. I will be excited to see just how "great" the Grand Suite is and how good the service will be.

I am going to write a candid comparitve review of the top Celebrity Suite versus the top Princess Suite and compare the entire experience. I will go into this Princess thing with an open mind even though that may be hard but I may just be pleasantly surprised. I just cant imagine the Princess Captain calling me everyday and chatting about cars and inviting me up to his residence to pal around with me ,, but who knows. I even feel a little guilty about taking this Princess Cruise in the Grand Suite since Celebrity does more than I could ever expect to please us. Maybe they dont read this board (hopefully) but their payback will be if Princess lets me down on this cruise.

Yesterday wasnt a fun day for me on this thread but Walt was right there by my side and Host Anne emailed me with her support. This really is a great website!!! They are fair and responsive (and we cant even tip them and they dont publish addresses for sending XMAS gifts!!) and have integrity.

Any more qu's come back at me..

Captain/Ensign Don retired and loving it in FL soon to be traveling to DC/VA/MD for 3 weeks (land only to be with friends)

You assumed right,, did you really have to make that point???

I typed it phonetically and I am sure everyone knew what I was trying to say. I have no idea why you needed to point that out.

So, its a french word I see. I never did well in french.

Don

LMAO, you tell her Don, I thought the same thing.... :cool:

Nothing , even Raddison, Crystal, Seaboune would ever best this Millennium Trip I just took. I guaranty those snobs on the so-called "luxury ships" have never had the experience I did on this last Mille Cruise in the Penthouse Suite..

Don in Rainy Fl

I am wondering.

As thrilling and personally gratifying as your experience must have been, how can you 'guarantee to the snobs on the so-called luxury ships', as you refer to them, that they have never had quite the experience that you did?

There could be some cruise experience left waiting for you yet on Seabourne and the like. Who knows what the captains of those fleets might have up their sleeves? They might even GIVE you a new 911 Turbo ;)

Fireguy:

I dealt with people my entire career and to this day I am still amazed by them.

I hardly use the word and when I needed it,,, it sounded cool to me,,

Go sssssssh

So I spelled it accordingly. I am sure 100% of everyone reading my posting knew exactly what i meant..

Now that the spelling was brought to my attention I remember a great restaurant in Georgetown (DC) in the 70s and early 80's,, the Reive Gauche that I dinned at a few times. It had great food. I am not sure on the spelling of Reive tho,,,lol

Captains Table:

Please everyone, if you get invited GO.. Why????

You will get the best service. The Restaurant Manager will seat you, he will be observing the entire time. The Maitre D's will sub as waiters (and they were former waiters and are the best) and the food is Spectacular. Not that the regular food isnt excellent but at the Captains table my food has been to die for. Not to mention the wine and the cocktails. The Captain's are very gracious and hospitable and if you build some kind of rapport (french word but I have this one right!!) during the 2 hour visit you may find several invites to fun things at a later date!!! So, this first captains table dinner is analagous to NETWORKING,, sort of. It isnt necessary of course to be invited but it just adds to a great experience. To be honest now, I am kind of hooked on dinning the first formal night with the Captain and hate to say but I would be upset if I wasnt invited but SHIP HAPPENS... so , I never take anything for granted. Well, maybe I do, LOL

I just called my faithful TA and am booking both transatlantics next year on the Millie, to Europe and from Europe in Penthouse Suite 6147. Now I have to play the waiting game for the itinerary to open.

Merry Xmas to all

Just another retiree on a fixed income,,,,

Third or Fourth Officer Don

I am wondering.

As thrilling and personally gratifying as your experience must have been, how can you 'guarantee to the snobs on the so-called luxury ships', as you refer to them, that they have never had quite the experience that you did?

There could be some cruise experience left waiting for you yet on Seabourne and the like. Who knows what the captains of those fleets might have up their sleeves? They might even GIVE you a new 911 Turbo ;)

Those luxury lines will never have the pleasure of my cruising. I was turned off about 18 months ago and will spend my money on what I consider Luxury Cruise Liners such as the Millie and the Infinity.

Don

ps,,, I have a 2006 997/911 Twin Turbo S (speed yellow) on order so I am not in need of another one.

The reason we declined our one and only table invitation was because we felt the invitation wasn't given to us in a timely manner. The note was left on our PH door at 10am for dinner that night, and we had reservations with other people for the Normandie that night and since we had planned that evening days in advance, we felt it was rude not to be with them in the Normandie.

As one of those "Snobs" who cruise Crystal and Seabourn, I take exception to Don's comments. I cruise every line, including Carnival, NCL, RCCI and Celebrity, and I am really getting tired of those who have never cruised the luxury lines calling us snobs. Just because you chose not to cruise Seabourn or Crystal, don't just assume we're snobs. I've found unpleasant people on every cruise line, even on Celebrity, but to label everyone on a cruise line you've never experienced as snobs just reeks of something (which I'm not going to write here).

I'm just wondering why it would be considered rude to decline? I'll admit, I've never been invited to dine with the captain, however I would decline in a heartbeat if I ever were. It's not like the captain doesn't have 2,000 other people from which to choose from. I'll leave that honor to someone who would enjoy it. I wouldn't.

Been there did that - multiple times.

We declined the last time. There are circumstances that may override you accepting.

How about the first formal night and Valentines day. For reservations in the specialty resturant. Where it's completely booked.

Our friends went the second formal night.

As one of those "Snobs" who cruise Crystal and Seabourn, I take exception to Don's comments. I cruise every line, including Carnival, NCL, RCCI and Celebrity, and I am really getting tired of those who have never cruised the luxury lines calling us snobs. Just because you chose not to cruise Seabourn or Crystal, don't just assume we're snobs. I've found unpleasant people on every cruise line, even on Celebrity, but to label everyone on a cruise line you've never experienced as snobs just reeks of something (which I'm not going to write here).

Darcie makes a good point. I've sailed on SeaDream I (formerly Seabourn's Sea Goddess I, and found no more snobbism than on any other of our cruises. The demographic was slightly older, and there were far fewer activities available, but the food and service were amazing.

We prefer Celebrity's M-class ships, because of all the options available, the food, service, and ambiance, and the fact that at 10:00 p.m. I'm not the only one who hasn't retired to their room. :)

There's a tendency for people to always resort to calling people "snobs" who (in their minds) appear to possibly be a slight bit above the name-callers in class or status. The perfect example of this is the Polo shirts on Formal Night crowd who label those who follow the dress code as being "snobs" and "uptight". :D

People should just find the cruise ship or line which best suits their personalities and desires, follow the ship's requests to guarantee the quality of the cruiseline's offerings, and try to refrain from trying to denigrate anyone whose preferences don't coincide with theirs.

Allen

It isnt necessary of course to be invited but it just adds to a great experience. To be honest now, I am kind of hooked on dinning the first formal night with the Captain and hate to say but I would be upset if I wasnt invited but SHIP HAPPENS... so , I never take anything for granted. Well, maybe I do, LOL

Merry Xmas to all

Just another retiree on a fixed income,,,,

Third or Fourth Officer Don

That seems to be the theme of all my cruises... Ship Happens...

And away I go.

When I say "snobs" it is not directed at anyone in particular since i am not friendly with anyone that sails the so called luxury liners. Its not personal.

I went on their thread about 18 months ago and asked some genuine questions about Seabourn. The posters there just weren't as friendly as on the threads here on Celebrity. I was just lambasted for no reason in my opinion.

Hard to believe but compared to some of those posters, Allen is a saint????

I may go back to the Seabourn thread again sometime soon and find out more about an experience on their ships. My wife has been interested in Seabourn since we get lots of flyers in the mail but because of my encounters I have shyed (sp) away from my one experience.

OK, anyone else going to Flame me on here???

Be nice and I will follow..

Don

That seems to be the theme of all my cruises... Ship Happens...

And away I go.

Be patient, your turn will come!!

Or come cruise on a cruise that I am on and pal around with me,, guaranteed ship will HAPPEN!!! for the good.. lol

Cpt Don

Archived