Read this if you're from the UK

When we book with a UK travel agent or UK cruise line office we pay inflated deposits, we get no price matching and if we want to make any changes to names, cabin type, ship or itinerary etc. we get hit with admin charges for e dry change.

If we need to cancel we lose our deposits.

If you book through a USA travel agent which we have started to do, you get none of this. You can make changes free, if the price of the cruise reduces before final payment day you can ask for this to be matched on your booking and if you cancel before final payment date you get all your deposit returned.

Doing this has made vacations so much less stressful for us. Thanks

What is the deposit in the US on a 7 night sailing?

I have had price drops in the UK on a UK made booking before final payment.

I agree there are charges for changes to cabins, sailing etc that we have to p ay for.

A 7 night cruise booked with a US TA the deposit is $250 per person, or $500 per person if travelling in a suite. While you may get more benefits from booking in the US, you get a lot more consumer protection when booking in the UK, ABTA, ATOL etc, there is a lot of consumer protection that is mandated by the British Government, and this costs the cruise lines money and exposes them to more liability, so the price has to reflect this

No problem providing there are ....... no problems!

You are entering into a contract with a US company where any disputes will fall within that jurisdiction. Similarly you will not be protected by any UK or European consumer protection that is limited to contracts within the jurisdiction.

Deposits for cruises with "RCCL" RCL Uk Ltd are £150 per person for any category of cabin or suite. Contracts with "RCCL" RCL UK Ltd are subject to English law.

Deposits for cruises with "RCCL" RCL Uk Ltd are £150 per person for any category of cabin or suite. Contracts with "RCCL" RCL UK Ltd are subject to English law.

Would that not be British Law ??

In the unlikely event you have a reason to complain whilst away, you must immediately notify the Guest Relations Desk onboard ship and the supplier of the service(s) in question (if not us). This is to ensure that we are given the opportunity to address and to attempt to resolve any issue you raise. Any verbal complaint must be put in writing and given to the supplier and us as soon as possible. If a problem cannot be resolved to your satisfaction and you wish to follow this up you must write to us on your return to the address below. You must give your booking reference number and full details of your complaint within 28 days of your return from holiday unless a different time limit applies to your claim – see clause 2.1, 2.3, 2.4 and 5.8. We will only accept complaints from the lead name of a booking. If your complaint is written on behalf of other members of your travelling party, their full names and booking reference numbers must be clearly stated in the correspondence together with their authority for you to handle the complaint on their behalf. If you fail to follow this simple complaints procedure, your right to claim the compensation you may otherwise have been entitled to may be affected or even lost as a result.

Any dispute between us, which cannot be settled by agreement, may be referred to the Passenger Shipping Association (P.S.A.) Conciliation Service or the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA). The PSA Conciliation Service is free for you to use but is not available where the claim solely or mainly concerns physical injury or illness or the consequences of such injury or illness, nor where it would be unfair to evaluate a claim purely on paper. ABTA also offers a complaints procedure to assist you in resolving any dispute with us. Where ABTA does not help you to settle the dispute, ABTA offers an arbitration scheme that is administered independently of the travel industry. For personal injury and illness claims, a mediation scheme is also available. Fees may apply to use of arbitration and mediation services. For further details and terms and conditions, visit the PSA’s website at http://www.the-psa.co.uk and ABTA’s website at www. abta.co.uk If you do not wish to use PSA or ABTA services or the dispute is not resolved as a result of using their services, you may go to court. We both agree that any dispute, claim or other matter arising out of or in connection with your contract or your holiday with us will only be dealt with by the Courts of England and Wales. The contract between us is governed by English law.

No, it says quite specifically English law.

No, it says quite specifically English law.

Another point for the Arguement of Devolution when it Clearly states the Association of BRITISH Travel Agents and yet we have to comply with ENGLISH LAW

:mad::mad:

I usually book with RCI in the UK direct and they have always honoured price drops, one time I did want to change a cruise (to another sailing) they wanted a £75 fee per person, the two times I have booked with a british TA I have had nothing but problems with contacting them to make changes which they have fees for and one TA did not recognise price drops, if I knew a US TA I would be tempted to go with them and see what happens.

You are entering into a contract with a US company where any disputes will fall within that jurisdiction. Similarly you will not be protected by any UK or European consumer protection that is limited to contracts within the jurisdiction.

So how/what is the UK/Europe consumer protection..in what circumstances does it protect you?

I have booked with a US TA for years now and never had any problems.

I always book onboard to get the onboard credit then pass the booking on to my TA who can usually give me another bit of discount, I then watch the prices and if the cruise goes down she will give me the new price up until final payment, when you reach D+ they waive the £75 fee to change the booking.

I always book onboard to get the onboard credit then pass the booking on to my TA who can usually give me another bit of discount, I then watch the prices and if the cruise goes down she will give me the new price up until final payment, when you reach D+ they waive the £75 fee to change the booking.

Exactly what he said :D

I have no problem with paying more of a deposit, it all comes off the final total anyway. The thing I dislike most about the difference between the two countries is that those in the US are able to hold any number of cabins on any number of cruises as they won't lose their deposit if they cancel at the last payment date. This means many of the best cabins are taken on popular cruises, even though the people who booked them may only be speculating as to whether to take the cruise or not.

Irish cruisers are also treated the same as the UK. I think it is disgraceful. Our Liberty cruise from Barcelona in September is €1,750 total for two adults. The deposit, by the way, was €330.00 which as someone said is non refundable in the event of cancellation.

This same cruise is being offered by one TA at 55+ rate total cost €1,175.00. I would love to know what it can be booked for on RCI USA site.

Incidentally would anyone be able to give me the email address of RCI in Miami.

Frank

Yes but I use a UK TA.

So do I :)

That was my point - I book onboard, get a further discount from my TA and he gives me price drops. I'm also D+ so don't have the price change issue. So apart from the non-refundable deposit I don't have a problem with booking in the UK

Hi all

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't ABTA cover you if RCI goes under either

before you go or get you home if it happens while your away?

And ATOL covers your flight portion of your holiday?

If you pay by credit or some Visa cards you can claim back your money if the company fails to provide under section 75 of the consumer credit act

Book flights seperate and you have ATOL protection

Travel insurance provided you get a decent one will cover for most other expenses

So could some one please explain to me how the "English law":( is going

to provide the UK customer with added protection.

Sorry I forgot they can not bump a UK booked customer if they overbook cabins other than this I can not see a upside to booking through UK based

RCI or TA

regards

Damon

So do I :)

That was my point - I book onboard, get a further discount from my TA and he gives me price drops. I'm also D+ so don't have the price change issue. So apart from the non-refundable deposit I don't have a problem with booking in the UK

Have either of you been able to get a price drop since May...(which is when the rules changed on price drops) ?

Hi all

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't ABTA cover you if RCI goes under either

before you go or get you home if it happens while your away?

And ATOL covers your flight portion of your holiday?

If you pay by credit or some Visa cards you can claim back your money if the company fails to provide under section 75 of the consumer credit act

Book flights seperate and you have ATOL protection

Travel insurance provided you get a decent one will cover for most other expenses

So could some one please explain to me how the "English law":( is going

to provide the UK customer with added protection.

Sorry I forgot they can not bump a UK booked customer if they overbook cabins other than this I can not see a upside to booking through UK based

RCI or TA

regards

Damon

See your first 3 paragraphs for your answer, you get all this and more by booking in the UK, you don't in the US.

Have either of you been able to get a price drop since May...(which is when the rules changed on price drops) ?

Since I now book very early Liz the prices normaly go up :eek: so the answer from me is no.

Archived