Hubbard Glacier Question

miss honey

we are booked for a Voyage of the Glaciers cruise with Princess , Southbound. We did this cruise in 2006 only we did the Northbound route. On the northbound route we did College Fjords, and we really loved that . We can't get the cabin and the date we want next yr. We had to book the southbound route. will we be disappointed with Hubbard Glacier? Any help would be appreciated.

I really enjoyed the Hubbard Glacier! I thought it was beautiful and I was so impressed with how CLOSE the Captain got us to the glacier. So many times we were like "okay, this is as close as we are going to get." The roar of the calving was amazing.

Hubbard is spectacular - it is my favorite glacier viewing area, yes, even over Glacier Bay! I know I'm in the minority with that comment, but its how I feel. Just so darn massive! Three of the four times I've visited we've gotten quite close and saw a tremendous amount of calving the first time we visited in Sept. of 2006. I don't think you will be disappointed at all!

Each area is excellent scenery. There is NO best. First off, they are in a constant state of change. I refuse to "rank", in my opinion, you can't. :)

I am lucky to sail Alaska repeatively and always see plenty of glaciers. I never fail to so enjoy them. :)

Thanks to everyone for the replies. when we did the Northbound cruise in 2006 it was stunning. So happy to hear Hubbard is equally exciting. I haven't been on here're for awhile. So glad to see the passion for cruising alive.

Each area is excellent scenery. There is NO best. First off, they are in a constant state of change. I refuse to "rank", in my opinion, you can't. :)

I am lucky to sail Alaska repeatively and always see plenty of glaciers. I never fail to so enjoy them. :)

How often do you sail alaska or visit? Seems as you know all the ins and outs of alaska better than anyone on this board. Do you study the state? Visit weekly? Retired and go to and from? Just trying to figure out you learn so much about alaska if you dont live there lol. I mean i've visted a few places over and over and even though I know a lot, I don't know all the ins and outs like you know alaska. Just a curious mind here. It's quite intriguing which not complaining because I do months of research on the internet in all my planning stages from the start to end of a vacation to maximize every dollar and minute I have of the day when I go somewhere. :D

I have no problem ranking the scenic areas we have seen in Alaska so for that are along the cruise route. This is how both my DH and I rank them:

#1. Glacier Bay

#2. Tracy Arm Fjord

#3. Hubbard Glacier

#4. College Fjords.

They were all magnificent experiences. Hubbard is definitely the most impressive of the glaciers you will see from the cruise ship. However, for us, it was all about the full experience: what the scenic cruising in the area was like as well as the glaciers. Glacier Bay just sits at the top of the list for us as we were in total awe that entire day.

How often do you sail alaska or visit? Seems as you know all the ins and outs of alaska better than anyone on this board. Do you study the state? Visit weekly? Retired and go to and from? Just trying to figure out you learn so much about alaska if you dont live there lol. I mean i've visted a few places over and over and even though I know a lot, I don't know all the ins and outs like you know alaska. Just a curious mind here. It's quite intriguing which not complaining because I do months of research on the internet in all my planning stages from the start to end of a vacation to maximize every dollar and minute I have of the day when I go somewhere. :D

I have visited Alaska 30 times, including 2 winter trips, since 1994. When I visit, I'm there extended, now at least 4 weeks at a time. I sometimes go twice per year, two years was there 3 times.

I leave again next month for a 5 week trip, which includes 3 cruises.

I do still work full time, I have a very generous vacation, time off deal, 8 paid weeks off/year, plus swapping with coworkers for unlimited blocks additional. My husband is a retired airline employee, makes the world small when you don't pay for air. :) This year I will be travelling 17 weeks.

Edited by Budget Queen

I have visited Alaska 30 times, including 2 winter trips, since 1994. When I visit, I'm there extended, now at least 4 weeks at a time. I sometimes go twice per year, two years was there 3 times.

I leave again next month for a 5 week trip, which includes 3 cruises.

I do still work full time, I have a very generous vacation, time off deal, 8 paid weeks off/year, plus swapping with coworkers for unlimited blocks additional. My husband is a retired airline employee, makes the world small when you don't pay for air. :) This year I will be travelling 17 weeks.

omg 8 paid weeks off per year. sign me up! Your husband must have been in the airline industry when it was a sweet deal. Now working in the airline industry, if you are in-flight crew, the benefits are ok but the pay is crap and you are working for almost minimum wage with many airlines. But that is also because of the rest time rules in effect has a lot to play into it. I work in the airline industry and wanted to go for in-flight crew and was offered a position in which I would be eating mcdoubles at mcdonalds every day and banana bread for breakfast because one doesnt make enough. The good perk still in effect is the travel time. You get so many buddy passes available per year on most airlines and other travel perks such as discounts to hotels and such wherever you go.

omg 8 paid weeks off per year. sign me up! Your husband must have been in the airline industry when it was a sweet deal. Now working in the airline industry, if you are in-flight crew, the benefits are ok but the pay is crap and you are working for almost minimum wage with many airlines. But that is also because of the rest time rules in effect has a lot to play into it. I work in the airline industry and wanted to go for in-flight crew and was offered a position in which I would be eating mcdoubles at mcdonalds every day and banana bread for breakfast because one doesnt make enough. The good perk still in effect is the travel time. You get so many buddy passes available per year on most airlines and other travel perks such as discounts to hotels and such wherever you go.

He is an A&P Mechanic, so did very well.

we are booked for a Voyage of the Glaciers cruise with Princess , Southbound. We did this cruise in 2006 only we did the Northbound route. On the northbound route we did College Fjords, and we really loved that . We can't get the cabin and the date we want next yr. We had to book the southbound route. will we be disappointed with Hubbard Glacier? Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't been to College so can't compare. Hubbard is a 6-7 mile wide wall of ice. If the day is agreeable, your Captain will pull within a reasonable distance of the glacier & then slowly cruise back & forth along the face of that wall. Don't know about Princess, but on HAL, they open up the bow of the ship for the scenic viewing.

If you have a balcony, you might want to find another spot from where to watch, since you'll only see the glacier 1/2 the time. The front, back or top of the ship are good places.

And the secret to good glacier pix - grey days. That's when you get to see the bluey ice. In the bright sunshine it all whites out. :rolleyes:

7576413228_b60aabd530.jpg

BQ said "I leave again next month for a 5 week trip, which includes 3 cruises."

Sorry for hijacking this post but would like to thank BQ. I hope we cross paths in Alaska! You have shared so much good info about Alaska with me. I might ask for your autograph if we should ever meet - after all you are a bit of a celebrity on this website. Maybe you should re-name yourself the "Alaska Queen". Have you ever thought of writing a travel book or starting a website of your own?

Any chance we'll be in the same place on any of the days below or even on the same cruise ship (Island Princess)? Do you wear a name or door tag with Budget Queen on it or do you prefer to remain anonymous?

We leave Aug 13th for 8 day land beginning Fairbanks (Chena River cruise) to Denali (all-day shuttle) to Kenai (6 hr cruise Kenai Fjords) to Whitter for 7 day SB cruise on Island Princess.

Excursions planned: The all- day Denali shuttle, 6 hr. Kenai Fjords cruise, WPRR to Carcross /return by van 8/25, Mendenhall followed by Orca whale watch for 8/26, and a fly-in bear watch to Traitor's Cove planned for 8/27. All plans were made after much reading info from this website, but always got the most detailed responses from you!

We asked about combining the bear watch flight with one to Misty Fjords, hoping the "combo" would save us some time and money over the price of two separate tours, but it didn't - maybe because they are in opposite directions. Still thinking that one over. It looks like awesome scenery and such a remote area.

bq said "i leave again next month for a 5 week trip, which includes 3 cruises."

i might ask for your autograph if we should ever meet - after all you are a bit of a celebrity on this website. Maybe you should re-name yourself the "alaska queen".

any chance we'll be in the same place on any of the days below or even on the same cruise ship (island princess)? Do you wear a name or door tag with budget queen on it or do you prefer to remain anonymous?

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha :D:D

Edited by FunShipCruiser05

BQ said "I leave again next month for a 5 week trip, which includes 3 cruises."

Sorry for hijacking this post but would like to thank BQ. I hope we cross paths in Alaska! You have shared so much good info about Alaska with me. I might ask for your autograph if we should ever meet - after all you are a bit of a celebrity on this website. Maybe you should re-name yourself the "Alaska Queen". Have you ever thought of writing a travel book or starting a website of your own?

Any chance we'll be in the same place on any of the days below or even on the same cruise ship (Island Princess)? Do you wear a name or door tag with Budget Queen on it or do you prefer to remain anonymous?

We leave Aug 13th for 8 day land beginning Fairbanks (Chena River cruise) to Denali (all-day shuttle) to Kenai (6 hr cruise Kenai Fjords) to Whitter for 7 day SB cruise on Island Princess.

Excursions planned: The all- day Denali shuttle, 6 hr. Kenai Fjords cruise, WPRR to Carcross /return by van 8/25, Mendenhall followed by Orca whale watch for 8/26, and a fly-in bear watch to Traitor's Cove planned for 8/27. All plans were made after much reading info from this website, but always got the most detailed responses from you!

We asked about combining the bear watch flight with one to Misty Fjords, hoping the "combo" would save us some time and money over the price of two separate tours, but it didn't - maybe because they are in opposite directions. Still thinking that one over. It looks like awesome scenery and such a remote area.

Wow, Thank you sincerely for your kind words. :) I'm delighted to offer my wonderful experience as examples for touring Alaska. I do remain anonymous. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

The southbound voyages include both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay which is a fantastic itinerary :D Enjoy!

• 2 years later...