Medical Staff and Facilities on Golden Princess July Alaskan Cruise

itsme_jj

Dear Members,

I thought I would specifically give some information on my experience on the Golden Princess in July and having to use the medical facilities for my husband.

My husband thought he may have tore or injured his elbow and bicep. While being in the industry I've always been told that the ship's doctor and facilities are quite good, this was the first time I've had to use them.

It was quite easy, you just go down to deck 4 when they are open, no appt needed. They have a nurse take your information and fill out normal forms for you and your condition, you sign an agreement to pay via your shipboard account. They tell you up front what the fees are and that they will provide you a detailed receipt so you can then file with your own insurance or travel insurance when you get home.

The medical center was very well equipped and had many patient rooms, and labs, pharmacy, xray and there were many patients there who had "forgot" their medications. In order to get your medications, you still need a doctor visit unfortunately, as they can't dispense with just your prescription due to international laws, etc. I was surprised by how cheap their medications were, and heard two others say the same thing, that it was cheaper even with the doctor visit fee to get the meds on the ship than at home. Of course they only give small amounts until you can get home.

In our case it was only $60.00 to see the doctor and $5.00 for predisone.

First the nurse took him back and did the usual initial checks and then we say the doctor and she also then did a very thorough examination. (I was very impressed, how she told us how she was looking to see if the tendon had become detached and how the various tests she was doing for nerve damage etc...). She discussed the possibility of that we could do an XRAY on the ship, but she didn't feel from all the exams that anything was broken or fractured and MRI they didn't have available on this ship. Since my husband wasn't in extreme pain, and we all felt it was probably a strain, they opted to put him on predisone, and asked him to not keep it immobilized but just let it heal with light use and stretches and to follow up with his doctor when he got back home.

It was re-assuring to know he had not something serious that he would further injury by ignoring it for 7 days, or us trying to put him in a sling (and as she said causing it to over tighten).

I was very very impressed. Gosh I can't even see my doctor at home that quickly or at those prices.

I have been astonished when on cruises seeing people suffering badly from mal de mer refusing to go to the doctor to get an injection which would cure them like magic 'because it will cost $$' They have spend so much more on the actual cruise and are wasting it being ill:D

Over the past several years we have visited the medical unit on Princess ships a couple of times and concur in all of the above comments.

-- Quickly seen

-- Extraordinarily Professional staff

-- Accurate diagnosis and treatment

-- Amazingly inexpensive charges

It is reassuring to know that if something happens while on board that requires medical attention, it is there.

P&J

We saw the medical staff on the Sapphire in May (more then once) and was extremely impressed with the medical staff and the prices. I felt like the doctor on the ship cared more about me then my doctor back home! The only thing to realize is that they are limited to the medications they carry and they didn't carry my usual antibiotic (and I am allergic to many others) so I had to pay for a non-generic price of a prescription for 5 days which cost $100. I realize that they can't carry everything but just wanted to warn people. I had forgotten to bring my antibiotic with me. I am very glad they carried something I could take.

The only negative is back home. I am trying to get my regular insurance to cover or deny my visits so I can send it on to Travel Insurance (secondary). 7 weeks later and still waiting.

I contracted noro on a royal ship and I ended up in the medical center and they were great! Later in cruise the doctor and the nurse were out shopping(on the ship) and saw me and stood there and talked to me for about 10 minutes! I was impressed with my care and visit! :D

Archived