Does anyone take ALL meals in the WindJammer and skill the MDR?

Never - the food is just so much better in the MDR. Even when our kids were young we almost always ate in the MDR. The waiters were excellent at bringing the kids meals to them early if they were tired or in a hurry to make it to a kids club activity. That said, I think it really depends upon your own preferences and your kids patience and interests. We ate out probably more than we should have when our kids were young so they were used to that.

Does the food choice change nightly in the Windjammer?

Thanks

Don

Yes, there are different things on different nights. Often you will have some of the same items offered in the MDR in the Windjammer. Plus you will still have all of the other choices to go with.

We have started doing MTD on recent cruises and it works out well

Our last (very port intensive) cruise we opted to skip the main dining room. We never regretted it for a second. We did eat in specialty restaurants two of the 7 nights.

I mentioned to hubby that RCCL was rolling out new menus and we might want to check out the MDR on our next cruise and he sounded so disappointed. He told me he really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the WJ!

As for tip, we simply had them added to our SeaPass. However, we noticed we tended to sit in the same areas in the WJ each day. So for that reason, we tipped those waiters on our last night... really we would have done the same had we been in the dining room.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ann

I prefer dinner in the windjammer too - i'm a picky eater, have the refined palate of a 5 yr old :rolleyes: and some days just want to grab a bite in less than an hour while wearing flip flops and shorts and not feel obliged to eat the 4 brussel sprouts rolling around on the plate on turkey dinner night ;)

With everyone booking MTD, and then going alternate; too bad RCL doesn't have a 3rd choice: Alternate all the way.

I would agree. We have been on Oasis 3 times and have yet to make it to the MDR for MTD. So many other Places to eat yummy things.

Just wondering what releasing the assigned dining room table actually accomplishes? We've done so in the past when we knew we would not be using the dining room (usually when we are assigned the last seating), however, the only thing I can thing of is it lets the waiter know not to hold service until our arrival. It might allow others to shuffle seating or dining times, I guess, but I don't think it affects overall tipping for the dining room waiters. Thoughts?

Yes you can eat all your meals in the WJ if you want but I too would suggest that you give the MDR a try (unless you know your kids are screamers and runners:rolleyes:). It may be easier for you and spouse to sit down and have someone serve you and the kids vs buffet running. Our DD was 6 on last cruise and did fine in the MDR. After the 1st night, the staff always had some fruit and crackers out for her right after we sat down. We did MTD and the meals did not seem much longer than a regular land restaurant.

If you don't plan to eat in the MDR you should use MTD. That way waiters aren't waiting for diners who aren't going to be there(and miss out on tips) and the tips are distributed the way they should be. If you have a regular waiter in WJ who you like you can give them a little extra.

If you don't plan to eat in the MDR you should use MTD. That way waiters aren't waiting for diners who aren't going to be there(and miss out on tips) and the tips are distributed the way they should be. If you have a regular waiter in WJ who you like you can give them a little extra.

Isn't MTD done in the MDR?

I would try the MDR at least once. Other posters have commented on the fact that you can sit and have people bring the food to you. There are kids' choices, or you can have them try some of the regular menu items. Also, it would be a good learning experience for the kids. Dining room etiquette can be learned at an early age. And kids often like to get dressed up for a "grown up" dinner. Mine LOVED to go to nice restaurants when they were little. The waiters in the MDR are professional and know how to keep little ones happy.

That's not to say that you can't learn dining room etiquette in the WJ (or at your own dining room table), or that they can't get dressed up for the WJ. Also, if you are absolutely sure that your brood (I also have four) will positiviely not sit still, then MDR is probably not for you.

Archived