Epic Cruise in Caribbean question on self-disembarkation?

jamies78

Hello,

My family of 4 is going on the Epic on November 10th. . . there is a direct flight home that leaves at 10:15 am. I know that is earlier than recommended by the cruise line, but it is the only available direct flight, and having a 4 and 3 year old traveling with us, a lay-over flight is NOT feasible. .

Does anyone know what time self-disembarkation typically starts on the Epic? And how quick and easy does it move??

Do you think we can make it to the airport in time for a 10:15 flight??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

According to the itinerary for the Epic sailing Nov 10, 2012 from Miami, it returns on Sat at 8 AM! :eek: My hunch is you'll never make a 10:15 AM flight considering you need to arrive at the airport two hours ahead, add in time for U.S. Customs to first approve the disembarkation (other ships may be at port), the time to go through customs, hailing a cab, the ride to the airport, etc.

Self-disembarkation requires that you be able to carry ALL of your baggage with you off the ship. You can do that at any time as soon NCL announces that the ship is cleared by U.S. Customs and the first passengers are called by color tag to disembark. You can go regardless of tag color but I'm doubtful anything but a flight delay can get you to the airport on time.

I hope someone sailing that exact same itinerary can answer how close the ship will dock to 8 AM.

P.S. If you're willing to carry all of your luggage off the ship, through customs, to the taxi stand, and with your children, how is a layover at the airport not feasible?

Self-disembarkation requires that you be able to carry ALL of your baggage with you off the ship. You can do that at any time as soon NCL announces that the ship is cleared by U.S. Customs and the first passengers are called by color tag to disembark. You can go regardless of tag color but I'm doubtful anything but a flight delay can get you to the airport on time.

With self-disembarkation one doesn't need to wait for the first colour tags to be called as long as the ship is cleared for disembarkation. For example if the ship comes in late or there is some other delay with the tagged luggage, the self-disembarking passengers can still get out before anyone waiting for the luggage to be processed by the dock crew. (This happened to us in NYC as the captain had serious problems with the strong current in the Hudson river and we were about 1,5 hours late when we finally got docked.)

I hope someone sailing that exact same itinerary can answer how close the ship will dock to 8 AM.

I checked that the last port of call before Miami is Nassau the day before so the distance to travel on the last night is really short for the time that is available (16hrs). So I'm pretty sure that in the optimal situation the ship will be ready to disembark passengers immediately at 8am if not sooner meaning that the clearance by the customs etc will be easily done by then. It is more likely that the ship will dock already much earlier in the morning.

But still I would never book a flight so early - one might make it but there are a ton of variables in the game and if anything goes wrong (starting from the fact that getting a large cab in PoM is sometimes quite tricky, with two small kids there is a lot of luggage for sure), missing the flight is almost guaranteed.

So I wouldn't book that flight either. If I really wanted that specific direct flight, I'd take a hotel room for one night and then fly the following morning on the same 10am flight (if it is a daily flight).

1015 flight carrying all your bags off with two kids that age? 1015 is way early. Is it possible? Yes, if all the stars align correctly. What you need to keep in mind is that on Saturday mornings the Miami airport is a zoo. Very busy.

I wouldn't plan on it.

Looks like you'll be flying back to CVG? What airline are you looking at?

I'm a little confused (but that's nothing new :D). By direct flight with no layover do you mean non stop? Because I see some 10:15am flights MIA-CVG, but they're all connecting with a layover, so it must not be the same one you're looking at.

Looks like you'll be flying back to CVG? What airline are you looking at?

I'm a little confused (but that's nothing new :D). By direct flight with no layover do you mean non stop? Because I see some 10:15am flights MIA-CVG, but they're all connecting with a layover, so it must not be the same one you're looking at.

Edited to add: If you're interested in grabbing a shuttle to FLL and flying out of there instead, Delta has a 12:35pm non-stop from FLL-CVG:

Delta Air Lines

Flight 1808

Non-Stop

Depart: 12:35 PM Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL (FLL)

Arrive: 3:05 PM

Cincinnati, OH (CVG)

Total Travel Time: 2 hrs 30 mins

SAS shuttle info:

http://www.ridesas.com/html/rates.html

You don't have to be at the airport two hours early, but the one hour deadline is very solid, they will give away your seat. You cannot just walk off when you want. After the ship is cleared, suites, VIP's and handicap always go first and there are pretty strict about that. After they are off, they will start with the first color and you could go then. You are going to miss your flight! Two kids and carrying your own luggage off the ship, through customs and out to a cab. You must be checked in at the airport by 9:15. You would have to be very, very lucky. If you miss it what happens???

Clarify the airport you are looking at. Assume Miami.

It is possible, but 10:15 is really pushing your luck. And the bad part? The rest of the flights that day could be full and you could be in for a real long stay in Miami.

I tend to be the risky one, but would not do it. Especially with a party of 4.

and, as said do not confuse direct with non stop. Lots of "direct" flights still change equipment along the way.

Thank you everyone for your advise on this! It sounds like it is a really bad idea. . . . Yes, the flight was out of Miami and was non-stop to Dayton, OH.

The main reason I can't do a layover is because my son has nut allergies and the flight crews have to take precautions for us and we also have to get on first to clean the seats.

I think I will go with the flight out of FLL to CVG that leaves at 12:35. That one will be safer. . . .

Again, I appreciate your help!! Cruise Critic is the best!!

Archived