please explain the cabin bathrooms on Epic

S.S.Oceanlover

Are ALL cabins like this? Is it just standard balcony cabins?

What about suites? Mini-suites? Interior? Oceanview?

I have to admit that this issue has caused me to pause for thought about cruising on the Epic. I can deal with it if it was just my GF and I. But we really like to take her kids now (currently 16 yo girl and 13 yo boy) because they made our last cruise just awesome.

But I KNOW they will absolutely hate the bathroom situation and each will want the entire cabin cleared out and the cabin door bolted shut and a chair wedged under the doorknob just so they can take a leak.

Yeah, they're really shy kids. ahahahahaha

(Edit. for clarity. They aren't MY kids. I've only been on the scene for a little more than 4 years now. So I can understand that they aren't, and never will be, completely comfortable in regard to their personal routines when I'm near. That's just the way it is.)

The Epic also has some outstanding "public" facilities, including on the pool deck and gym (full showers, etc.) that are free to use in a pinch

I stayed in 2 different hotels in Amsterdam last year (Park and Bilderberg) and both bathrooms, including the fixtures, were almost exactly like this. Maybe I should change my comments to "NED style"?

I too stayed at the Park in Amsterdam last summer. The bathrooms there were similar to the Epic in terms of size, and the glass door (and close proximity to the bed). DH couldn't even close the door all the way when using the bathroom!

I never saw anything this "intimate" anywhere else in Europe, though.

You forgot one fear which was mentioned rather much. When the toilet and the sink are in different rooms, some might not wash their hands after using the toilet!

LMAO

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I would think if you are sharing a cabin with someone, you should know them well enough to know if they ever skip hand washing AND anyone ....I would imagine the VAST majority.... of civilized human beings would make the effort to walk a few steps to find the sink on the opposite side of the cabin.

I know this wasn't your concern...I'm only quoting you because you posted it. I think it's hysterical.

LMAO

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I would think if you are sharing a cabin with someone, you should know them well enough to know if they ever skip hand washing AND anyone ....I would imagine the VAST majority.... of civilized human beings would make the effort to walk a few steps to find the sink on the opposite side of the cabin.

I know this wasn't your concern...I'm only quoting you because you posted it. I think it's hysterical.

The other one is that people might touch the curtain with their hands before washing them at the sink, which would cause another plague

You forgot one fear which was mentioned rather much. When the toilet and the sink are in different rooms, some might not wash their hands after using the toilet!

Oh my gosh I forgot all about those posts. How do these people use public bathrooms? There is not a sink in the bathroom stall with you! You have to unlock the door and walk to a sink.

Oh my gosh I forgot all about those posts. How do these people use public bathrooms? There is not a sink in the bathroom stall with you! You have to unlock the door and walk to a sink.

Unfortunately I think that lots of people don't wash their hands when they have used public bathrooms!

Is there a way to hang a bathroom caddy (containing toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc) by the sink like you would on a bathroom door. (We received one as Christmas present many years ago from one of our nephews after our very first cruise.

9 days now until we board the Epic!

Believe me, you won't need to bring anything extra to use as 'storage'. There is more than enough in the room. My advice would be to not waste the luggage space:D

Are ALL cabins like this? Is it just standard balcony cabins?

What about suites? Mini-suites? Interior? Oceanview?

Mini suites, interior and balcony rooms all have the deconstructed bathrooms. There are no oceanview cabins on the Epic. All exterior cabins have a balcony.

Unfortunately I think that lots of people don't wash their hands when they have used public bathrooms!

I agree that there are WAY too many folks who don't wash their hands after using the facilities but I don't believe for one second that having a sink outside the toilet area will cause in increase in said nasty habit folks.

Epic.....I love the ship....but not a fan of the new style cabin....

Using the 'loo' might be awkward if you were sailing with someone other than a spouse (or close)....the shower is fine, you can pull the curtain for privacy....

The cabin itself is pretty cramped....we had the bed closest to the bathroom...in hindsight, It would be better closer to the balcony....

The sofa was pretty uncomfortable and pretty useless....difficult to see the tv from it and really no way to get comfortable on it...

I loved the upholstered headboard...it was super comfy to sit up in the bed and watch tv....

My husband did not like the cabin at all....he is a little claustrophobic...so that tiny toilet room would be a dealbreaker for him....

The ship itself is beautiful and fun!! Too bad about the cabins :cool:

LMAO

I find this concern unfounded also. The sink is just a few steps away...just like in a public restroom when you walk out of the stall, walk a few steps to the sink area and wash your hands. No difference, actually.

My wife and I did our honeymoon on the Epic, and we had a balcony stateroom. We didn't have a problem with the bathroom setup. The curtain worked well to separate the bathroom area from the rest of the stateroom, and the fans worked well to mask noise / smells. It was actually kind of nice to have the shower and toilet separate, and the sink apart from both.

That said, our cabin configuration had the bed next to the balcony—not the bathrooms. I could see the other configuration (where the bed is next to the bathrooms) being bothersome.

The situation is somewhat better with a balcony, because when a traveling companion is using the facilities, you can always step out on the balcony to give them a bit more privacy.

Basically, I can understand why NCL isn't repeating this design with Breakaway, but it really wasn't a big deal for us.

I always wash my hands after using the "facilities", however, I do know there are folks who do not follow this golden rule of proper hygiene. Having said that, here is fuel for thought...

How many people at a sporting event, carnival or any event that serves fast food such as hot dogs and french fries, go to the counter, order the food, pay the cashier and immediately pick up said fast food in their hands and begin to eat it? Do you realize you have a world full of germs on your hands after handling cash coins and bills? We all do it.

If you want to "try out" the inside cabin arrangement before going on Epic, just put your bed in your bathroom for a night or two!!

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking. The entire cabin looks like a big bathroom with a bed in it.

I always travel only with my husband so it is just the two of us in the close quarters of a ship cabin. The compartmental bathroom set up was actually ideal for us. I loved the fact that one of us could be using the toilet room and the other could be in the shower and be steaming up the area without having to worry that the other was getting steamed out. Vice versa with the toilet room.

Also....I absolutely love the translucent doors on the shower room and toilet cubicle. I've never had the luxury of having a bathroom window in our cabin on a ship and the translucent doors allow natural light during the day and the evening into these bath areas. So nice!!

And so goes another Epic bathroom thread. I've missed these. lol!

Where's Willysgrandma to blast the bathroom and cabin design? She must be on a cruise somewhere. :D

LOL!!! I have to agree. The Epic's early days were fraught with down and dirty fights about way more things than just a bathroom desigh:eek:

If memory serves me right, one early review managed to get locked due to some heated debates within it!

I by no means am going to knock it down.....A cruise is what you make of it....enjoy it!!! you are away from the world,,so to speak...

I would only be concerned had my oldest sailed with us, but then again there is a curtain.....but lord knows, NO dressing on the balcony hahaha:o

We had 4 in our balcony, plus my 5th (son who was sleeping next door in grandpa's room) all getting ready for dinner at one time. Worked out great, except I was the 5th wheel. I walked down the hall to the gym where I showered and got ready. haha

I agree that there are WAY too many folks who don't wash their hands after using the facilities but I don't believe for one second that having a sink outside the toilet area will cause in increase in said nasty habit folks.

Some people think that the layout is good because more than one can use the facilities at the same time. I think that if someone else is using the sink, some might not wash their hands after using the toilet!

This is NOT a big problem for me.

Some people think that the layout is good because more than one can use the facilities at the same time. I think that if someone else is using the sink, some might not wash their hands after using the toilet!

This is NOT a big problem for me.

I can say with 100% positivity that my family would wash their hands, sink in use or not. My guess is that the exact same percentage of other families would do the same.

If you wash your hands regularly, you will not skip it because a sink is in use.

We were planning on sailing on the Epic this past July, but changed our minds because of the bathroom set-up. There was no way this would have worked with our kids, a 15 year old boy and a 14 year old girl. I so happy to read the new ship will go back to a more conventional bathroom. I wish all cruise lines did it like Disney with the separate shower/sink and toilet/sink - this makes it a breeze for four people getting ready at the same time!

Archived