July 2012 Splendor Review w/Pics

pyroguy

Awesome review and amazing pictures! You have great photography skills :) I did have a question regarding your camera - I have a DSLR Canon that I want to bring with me and have 3 lenses for it (regular, 55-250 and macro). Did you feel safe walking around Cabo and PV with your camera and equiptment? Its obviously $1000+ plus of stuff so I dont know how smart it would be to bring. Im find with having it on the boat but not sure about off the boat. Or maybe Ill just take the regular 18-55 lens...

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome review and amazing pictures! You have great photography skills :) I did have a question regarding your camera - I have a DSLR Canon that I want to bring with me and have 3 lenses for it (regular, 55-250 and macro). Did you feel safe walking around Cabo and PV with your camera and equiptment? Its obviously $1000+ plus of stuff so I dont know how smart it would be to bring. Im find with having it on the boat but not sure about off the boat. Or maybe Ill just take the regular 18-55 lens...

Great question. I'm a pretty big guy, so anyone wanting to tangle with me would have thier hands full ;)

However, I do have a SpeedCarry sling that I carry with my camera. It allows you to sling it over your shoulder and carry it on your hip but you still have quick access to it because it slides easily up and down the sling (google it if you are interested). Usually in port I carried only my 18-270mm Tamron lens which is a great "all-around" walking lens.

I also have a LowePro Fastpack 200 that is great because it's a full backpack with a side access for the camera. We usually just put all our stuff in the top and it allowed me to carry my camera and lenses inside without anyone even knowing what I was carrying.

I do think, however carrying the big camera and lens set me up for the vendors harassing us more. They saw $2k worth of stuff hanging from my side and obviously assumed we had money to spend. I do think that's an issue, but I never really felt unsafe in either port.

I would urge you to rent a fisheye lens for your cruise...wow great new perspective and a blast to play with in a unique location.

Have fun!

The current exchange rate is $1 equals 13 pesos. If they only give you 10 to 1 you are being cheated!

And to those that have been going to Mexico for years, that is the NEW peso . . . which is equal to 1000 times the value of the OLD peso ! ! :eek:

(a little lesson to learn there when a govt tries to PRINT itself out of economic trouble):rolleyes:

We (my kids and I) just watched your video, it was awesome! What a great job! I wish I could do that, what wonderful memories you have.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Thanks. I bought a program Adobe Premier Elements for that video.

One thing I wished I did more of was what they call "B Roll"...just setting the camera in one place on a tripod and catching background stuff...like waves rolling in, people walking by, etc. I think I will do more of that next cruise.

Glad you enjoyed it...I had a great time making it!

Thanks. I bought a program Adobe Premier Elements for that video.

One thing I wished I did more of was what they call "B Roll"...just setting the camera in one place on a tripod and catching background stuff...like waves rolling in, people walking by, etc. I think I will do more of that next cruise.

Glad you enjoyed it...I had a great time making it!

I enjoyed it all. Great stuff. You also answered my question, as I would love to try some of these techniques. Checking into this Adobe program. Looking forward to my 4th cruise on the SPLENDOR (before she leaves for NYC) some time this Fall.

Thanks again.:)

• 3 months later...
Thank you for your photo review...interesting fisheye shots. :)

Thanks. That lens is over $800 retail, so I rented it...but now I really want it.

As is with many other things, more wants than green...so it will have to wait;)

Thanks. That lens is over $800 retail, so I rented it...but now I really want it.

As is with many other things, more wants than green...so it will have to wait;)

Great video of your trip, nice job. Looking to book the splendor out of NYC.

• 3 weeks later...

…little man checking out the forbidden fruit (adult’s only area)…

DSC_7602.JPG

…front view from the secret deck on 7…

DSC_7620.JPG

It is funny I found your Liberty review from a simple search, I was planning on sailing that ship. Anyway after reading that one, your signature guided me to this one. So far I am loving it, I actually like it much better than your liberty review.

I absolutely love your fisheye pictures, I recently acquired a 8mm 2.8 lens for my nex system exclusively for cruising and I can't wait to use it. Your fisheye pictures have me really excited about the posibilites of the lens, just incredible.

Thank you so much for doing this, I just started reading it and I am hooked.

I am sorry about doing one more post :o, but I just had to ask you. What video editing software do you use? Video is not one of my strong suits and I still struggle with it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. The software I used for the video in my signature (Splendor Cruise) is called Adobe Premier Elements. I think I picked it up off of Amazon for around $60 or so. I love it, easy to pick up and learn.

Thanks. The software I used for the video in my signature (Splendor Cruise) is called Adobe Premier Elements. I think I picked it up off of Amazon for around $60 or so. I love it, easy to pick up and learn.

AWSOME, thank you. Video is something that I need to improve my skills at. I really have very little experience with it.

Archived