Passport Expiry

sweetcurves

So, I am cruising in October (14th-21st), and my passport expires December 23rd, 2012.

My ports of call are Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios (I'm not worried about Key West).

Should I renew before cruising or is it really nothing to worry about?

You have to send in your old passport to get a new one. If you do it now and don't get it back in time you're screwed. Wait till you get back.

Here in Canada I can get it expedited. I'm not worried about not getting it back in time. I just know that it's recommended to have at least 6 months left on your passport when traveling. I'll have 2.

But I'm not even sure I understand how the whole customs thing works in port anyway. Do you have to go through customs/immigration? So confused.

Here in Canada I can get it expedited. I'm not worried about not getting it back in time. I just know that it's recommended to have at least 6 months left on your passport when traveling. I'll have 2.

But I'm not even sure I understand how the whole customs thing works in port anyway. Do you have to go through customs/immigration? So confused.

As I understand it the port receives a manifest of all persons onboard and their information. If you were going to a port where there was a requirement that your passport be effective for a certain time then you may be prevented from getting off the ship in that port, but I don't think the ports you are visiting require that.

I think that Carnival only "recommends" that the passport be valid for 6 months beyond the end of your cruise, they have no requirement. But I have also heard that airlines are more firm on that 6 months passport validity if you're flying internationally (which I assume would apply since you're coming from Canada?). If I'm wrong on the airline part, then I agree with the others and would say to renew after your cruise.

As I understand it the port receives a manifest of all persons onboard and their information. If you were going to a port where there was a requirement that your passport be effective for a certain time then you may be prevented from getting off the ship in that port, but I don't think the ports you are visiting require that.

Especially since none of them require that you have a passport as a cruise line visitor anyway.

I think that Carnival only "recommends" that the passport be valid for 6 months beyond the end of your cruise, they have no requirement. But I have also heard that airlines are more firm on that 6 months passport validity if you're flying internationally (which I assume would apply since you're coming from Canada?). If I'm wrong on the airline part, then I agree with the others and would say to renew after your cruise.

If I were flying internationally you would be correct, but I live about 75 minutes from Buffalo (NY) airport so I almost always fly domestic US...it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

And joepeka, thanks for that info, I didn't know that! I won't worry about it then.

The only requirement you have to worry about is if the US requires the passport be valid for 6 months for entry into the US.

Just checked and all the countries I'm traveling to are ok as long as passport covers the length of my trip. Phew.

So, I am cruising in October (14th-21st), and my passport expires December 23rd, 2012.

My ports of call are Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios (I'm not worried about Key West).

Your passport must be valid 6 months from the date of the end of your vacation.

They are pretty strict about it! We travel frequently and would never chance it.

I filled out the renewal forms online & went into the passport office last Tuesday to do our renewals and they came via registered mail today. Not even a week later.

They will require it to be valid for the proper periods because you are non-US resident sailing out of a US port..travelling across international waters to Ocho Rios / Grand Cayman ....then back to a US home port.

I read somewhere it has to be valid for 6 months past your cruise date. You may want to check into that first

The rule is to enter the US your passport has to be valid for 6 months after your entry date. I have never heard of anyone not getting back into the US with a passport that is not vaid for 6 months after they enter, but I personally would not want take a chance. On our next cruise two of the family members passports expire three months after we sail. They are going to get their passports renewed so they don't have to worry about what could possibly happen.

Sweet curves is Canadian -- rules are different for us.

We need 6 months post the end of our travel for most countries.

DW was able to travel with her Portuguese passport up to the date of expiry but I required the 6 month expiry for my Canadian passport.

I just went to Scarborough Town Center with

My old one and got it renewed -- exactly 7 days

Ugh, really junkie? Man it's money I don't want to spend if I don't have to! And I hate getting ripped off two months use of my overpriced blue book with the worst picture known to man.

Ah well. I guess I'll do it.

LOL! If you have a Costco membership the pictures were only $6.99 instead of $10+ everywhere else.

I know its a pain.

My husband and sons didn't expire until February but we had to do them anyways because it wont be valid for 6 months after our next trip! Easier to get them done all at the same time.

The simplified renewal is fast. If you fill the form out online you do not wait as long inline either...they fit you in between the others waiting with the manual paper forms. We were in and out within 25 min's.

Our only problem was that we have a child and you need the long form birth certificate now when you do their passports as they want to make sure mother/father names match up on both for custody purposes on minors passports now. So that is another expense.

The rules are the passport needs to be valid for six months from the date of travel. You will need to have it renewed before you go. You risk not being allowed into the US. My passport expires in July of next year, and I will have to renew it in February just in case I get lucky on the lotto and win some money so I can cruise more....I want to go on BC6, but I don't have enough funds to do so, but a lotto win could help *BG*

In the meantime, get a renewal application and apply for a new passport. It is quick and easy to get a new one when the old one is still valid...it isn't cheaper though, it is the same price...

Applying and getting a passport in Canada is fairly easy. Anyone who lives in or near a large city will have a passport office. They can apply online, mail it, or go in person. I can go apply for a passport and still have plenty of time for lunch. I live a casual 15 mintue walk away from the passport office.

I only wish the Canadian government would make it valid for more than 5 years, say 10 *BG*.....but no, it is a cash cow and at $100 a pop, plus the photo, it's $120....and no, you can't use any old photo, they are picky about what photo...and don't smile....

What's the sense of listing an expiration date on the passport if it really expires six months earlier than that date?

It doesn't expire six months earlier, the laws of some countries mandate that you have to have 6 months remaining on your passport in order to gain entry into the country.

But the only reason I need a passport is to go to another country. Never needed one to stay home. It would make sense if the passport needed to be valid for the expected length of the visit. If an emergency mandated you remain in the foreign country unexpectedly then you should be able to go to the U S embassy for assistance.

What's the sense of listing an expiration date on the passport if it really expires six months earlier than that date?

I would imagine it's to cover the event of a medical emergency, or whatever else, that may mean your stay in a foreign country is extended beyond what you may have anticipated.

And let's not forget...when you renew a passport any period of time left before its expiration date (up to 9 months) is added onto your new passport.

I would imagine it's to cover the event of a medical emergency, or whatever else, that may mean your stay in a foreign country is extended beyond what you may have anticipated.

And let's not forget...when you renew a passport any period of time left before its expiration date (up to 9 months) is added onto your new passport.

OK. Did not know that they added the time on. Now I have no complaint. Thank you.

Oh I wonder if that's true for Canadian passports as well. I sure hope so. Then I don't care about getting it renewed.

Archived