Airplane Mode??

Godiva5

Airplane mode shuts off all transmitters and receivers on the phone so you cannot receive or send any voice or data.

The main thing to do is to either keep it in airplane mode all the time or turn off "data roaming". Using the regular phone function (making calls) is usually not that expensive, though you can incur long distance charges in foreign countries. But still, in countries like Puerto Rico or the USVI, where you can make phone calls at US rates, you may want to use your phone function. Where you incur the highest charges is usually from data (text messages and other smart phone functions like email, internet, most apps). Many people don't even realize they're using data because of all of the automatic downloading their phone may do (automatically downloading email for example, or updating subscriptions in apps like the NY Times. Auto-notifications, location services, etc). If you turn off data roaming you'll avoid all those high data charges, including from apps running in the background, but still be able to use your phone if you want. If you don't want to use your phone at all, just put it in airplane mode, or better yet, turn it off.

Someone please break it down for me. My service provider is T-Mobile. To avoid roaming charges...any additional charges, what do I do and when? What's airplace mode?

What I would do.Get on your flight, turn your phone off ,tell everyone if an emergency call Carnival and(or) send me an email.Midway through your cruise check your email and when you get back to your home airport turn your phone back on.The funs now over :)

DH calls both his brothers after we embark but are still in port just to laugh that we're on a cruise and they aren't. Then both phones are turned off and put in the safe until we return to that same U.S. port. No chance of unexpected charges.

DH calls both his brothers after we embark but are still in port just to laugh that we're on a cruise and they aren't. Then both phones are turned off and put in the safe until we return to that same U.S. port. No chance of unexpected charges.

I do this too ,I send a few picture texts while in Miami and take a few videos and the phones are shut off until we get back to Miami

Headed off topic just a bit but my wife and I leave our phones at home! Civilization survived just fine for centuries without phones in their pockets, we can do it for a week as well. We both have work provided phones that also serve as personal phones and neither of us want to be in touch with work or be tempted to "check in". Its already bad enough that we have to leave the country to disconnect from work in the first place.

What I would do.Get on your flight, turn your phone off ,tell everyone if an emergency call Carnival and(or) send me an email.Midway through your cruise check your email and when you get back to your home airport turn your phone back on.The funs now over :)

IF you have an iPhone and just turn it off, you may still incur the fees. Believe it or not but if you have the iCloud set a certain way all info goes to it while the phone is off but not in airplane mode. And if you turn it on for a "short" call without turning airplane mode on it will "zap" you with the data charges. Best bet is to turn on airplane mode and then turn it off.... or better yet do what the above poster says and leave it at home...

If you have a phone that takes sim cards you can buy a cheap throw away phone, put your card in it, take it for calls and no data.

I use my phone for lots of things on the cruise. I use my phone every day for much more than calling. In fact, I rarely call or text anyone! :p

And, no, it isn't that I have to stay connected.

But I use the phone's camera, the Kindle, music player, the white noise app, the Google maps I download of the ports before I leave home, etc.

So I don't want the phone locked in the safe.

While in port, if I turn on wi-fi and find a free network, I can connect that way while still in airplane mode (or data roaming disabled), correct? And then I could send a text if needed?

I never use wi-fi!

Headed off topic just a bit but my wife and I leave our phones at home! Civilization survived just fine for centuries without phones in their pockets, we can do it for a week as well. We both have work provided phones that also serve as personal phones and neither of us want to be in touch with work or be tempted to "check in". Its already bad enough that we have to leave the country to disconnect from work in the first place.

This ignores that fact that a large percentage of us have phones that are not just phones. My phone has over 800 songs in it, and is used to play music for me while I'm relaxing in the sun on the cruise. My kids likewise. We also have games to play at times. It gets used as a camera, and as a video recorder as well. A phone is not just a phone anymore.

This ignores that fact that a large percentage of us have phones that are not just phones. My phone has over 800 songs in it, and is used to play music for me while I'm relaxing in the sun on the cruise. My kids likewise. We also have games to play at times. It gets used as a camera, and as a video recorder as well. A phone is not just a phone anymore.

The OP asked how to not get roaming or added charges and turning your phone off is the best way that I know.Our phones are not just phones either but we use our ipods when we vacation

You may check with them to see if they have a monthly charge for international calling. I know Verizon charges $25 lump sum for international calling and data. If you think you'll be using your phone while on vacation this is a good alternative. You can cancel it when you get back and only get charged $25. Saves a lot of potential headaches!

I, too, use my phone for just about everything. I just turn it on airplane mode, that way I still have access to music, some games, camera, alarm clock, regular clock, etc. I can't afford, nor do I have any wish, to pay for roaming charges just so my son can post "LOL" on Facebook :D

Thanks for being my first LOL of the day!! I would do that, too. It's part of the fun of cruising.

I do that with my best friend. She calls me and I call her as soon as either one of us gets on the ship. Just a friendly "rub it in" type of thing. Next June we will be on the same ship so don't know who I will call.

Yes in airplane mode is the safest way. Re cell phones i turn data and roaming off and am still able to text. Like to do that so can stay in touch with my adult " kids" they are in my favorite 10 so actually incurred no charges at all!

I will be bringing my ipad for reading and games, does it still have to be in airplane mode for that?

If your Ipad has 3G, you can keep it in Airplane Mode. If it is just wi-fi, you don't need to. (My Ipad is wi-fi only)

Also, text messaging does not use data...it just needs wi-fi.

When you are on the ship, unless you have signed up for an internet package, you don't have to worry about connecting to their wi-fi, because you will always need to sign on to ship's internet before you can use it. It isn't automatic.

I have a free wi-fi location app, that will show free wi-fi spots when in port.

There are also quite a few apps, games that you don't even need wi-fi for. Just make sure they are downloaded before you leave. You can also download movies and watch those without a wi-fi connection.

On my TA from Rome last year, I kept data roaming off the whole time, and never had any issue with charges. But, remember, if you take it off for even a second, all the data that is waiting in hold will download. So, make sure to keep it off.

If your Ipad has 3G, you can keep it in Airplane Mode. If it is just wi-fi, you don't need to. (My Ipad is wi-fi only)

When you are on the ship, unless you have signed up for an internet package, you don't have to worry about connecting to their wi-fi, because you will always need to sign on to ship's internet before you can use it. It isn't automatic.

There are also quite a few apps, games that you don't even need wi-fi for. Just make sure they are downloaded before you leave. You can also download movies and watch those without a wi-fi connection.

On my TA from Rome last year, I kept data roaming off the whole time, and never had any issue with charges. But, remember, if you take it off for even a second, all the data that is waiting in hold will download. So, make sure to keep it off.

thankyou, my ipad is wi-fi only...

kc5grw - you are not kidding! I bought a new blackberry the week before my Cabo week in March. My next phone bill was over $200 due to the updates being downloaded. I always make a point to only text messages with the family back home so I had allocated $$ for text messages, but WOW! Those international data rates are outrageous.

I'm guessing this is the same for my 4g smartphone. As long as I keep data roaming turned OFF, I can use other apps. I'll have to see if there's an Android app for finding wi-fi spots.

Since I'm solo on Leg 1, but have DD and others joining me for Leg 2, it would be nice to find somewhere that I could send a text just to make sure that nothing has happened since I sailed!

Archived