St Maarten

cruisecritic001

Not sure if anyone can help but we are on the Spirit which arrives in St Maarten on Dec 16th.

Does anyone have any idea what time we will be able to leave the ship. We have a choice of flights at 09.15 or after 16.00.

We would prefer to get the 09.15 flight but I am not sure if this is cutting it too close to get off the ship and to the airport.

Any experiences, or advice, of St Maarten would be gratefully received.

It has been my experience that Seabourn usually arrives in port around 7-7:30a.m. The ship will need to clear customs/immigration and I think a 9:15 a.m. flight might be cutting it close. However, I understand why you'd want to take the 9:15 a.m. flight. It's hard enough to leave the ship let alone spending the day waiting for your flight to leave!! However, I have never flown out of Philipsburg (St. Maarten) so I can't comment on how long it takes to get to the airport. If you look at a map of St. Maarten on the internet it looks like there are two airports on the island. One on the Dutch side, the other on the French side. It would help to know which airport you're flying out of. I would suggest making arrangements through Seabourn for a private car to take you to the airport. HTH

CC001 - here's a response I received from Seabourn when I queried this same quandary...

Seabourn Reservations (SBN) seareservations@seabourn.com

Apr 6cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise Line. The ship is scheduled to dock in Philipsburg at this time. We recommend flights no earlier than 4 hours after the ship arrives in the port. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Robert

Seabourn

PHONE: 800 929 9595

EMAIL: seareservations@seabourn.com

seabourn.com

Consequently we booked the 4pm flight and a day tour of the Island.

Hope this helps.:o

The SB Spirit is a smaller ship which may help your disembarkation timing

but there also may be other ships in port, tying up facilities and custom officers. I fully understand the desire to take the 9:15am flight but before you book the flight you should telephone SB and inquire regarding their anticipated timing. Also you need to check with your airline to learn what check-in time they require. SXM used to be a rather congested airport but perhaps they have a newer facility these days. Also, one used to have to stand in a separate line to pay a departure tax. Perhaps someone who has flown out of SXM more recently could comment on these issues.

Not sure if anyone can help but we are on the Spirit which arrives in St Maarten on Dec 16th.

Does anyone have any idea what time we will be able to leave the ship. We have a choice of flights at 09.15 or after 16.00.

We would prefer to get the 09.15 flight but I am not sure if this is cutting it too close to get off the ship and to the airport.

Any experiences, or advice, of St Maarten would be gratefully received.

Do you have connecting flights to catch?

You might make the flight at 9:15, but it's not worth the stress. You will end up undoing all the relaxing benefits of your cruise. By the way, there is great duty free shopping on the island, you might even get to go home with a nice new bauble!

May I suggest booking a day room or taking the Seabourn tour and airport transfer.

I agree. Stay the night! You must not put yourselves through that aggro of dealing with other people's deadlines, queues, crowds and related nonsense the same morning you leave a Seabourn cruise. That would be most unwise and unfair! The stuff of nightmares for sure!

I hope you can swing it.

Happy sailing!

I have disembarked the 'lit Sister's and flown out of St Maarten several times ~do not book the early flight. Sometimes customs will be delayed, etc. Not worth all the stress, plus you may well miss your flight.

Enjoy the day and the Island. A wonderful hotel is "The Marquis Boutique Hotel" ~Pigeon Hill. The staff is amazing and location is great ~check it out. St Maarten is such a beautiful Carib Island.

Enjoy your TA Crossing

Martita B

Agree with others that a 9:15 am flight would be very risky.

A good alternative is to rent a car for the day. Many of the major car rental companies have a booth at the pier in Philipsburg and the car's trunk will provide a place to store your luggage. Take a leisurely drive around the island ... many good restaurants in Grand Case on the French side, duty-free shopping on the Dutch side and make sure to save time for a cool drink at Sunset Bar as you watch the jumbo jets land just a few yards from your table.

After our self-guided tour, the car rental company sent a two-man crew to meet us at the entrance of the airport two hours before our late afternoon flight. One of them hopped into our car and rode with us to the check-in door, helped us unload our bags and gave us our receipt before he drove the car away.

We go to St martin almost every year for a week. You cannot count on making the early flight. Some times the lines are horrendous because most passengers have to pay the exit fee after checking in and then go through security. Sometimes, it is a breeze. The new terminal has improved conditions, but it is still the islands...

Do rent a car and tour the island. From the port, head up to the Orient Bay area, then cross over to Grand Case, down to Marigot, then down to the Dutch side and the airport. If you want to see Philipsburg, do that first before driving to Orient Bay.

The traffic from P'burg to the airport side can be really bad. It is best to do the counterclockwise loop around the island.

And lock your car! Don't leave any valuables visible and you will be fine.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Based on your advice, and that from Seabourn, we will be booking the afternoon flight.

I suspect the stress of trying to make sure we would be off the ship first thing in the morning would have spoilt the last day or two of the cruise.

It will also give us the chance to see St Maarten.

Archived