Basic question about a flight back/boarding pass

WTMhs

From this post you'll be able to tell I don't travel or fly much, but here goes:

Hubby and Kiddo are cruising to Australia this fall. They will fly back from Sydney via Quantas, with a US company connection out of CA. I'm used to logging on 24 hours before a flight and printing a boarding pass at home, or at a relative's house.

How will they do this in Sydney? Do they just show up at the airport in time, wait in line, show their passports and Quantas will print them? And in L.A? (At our airport you barely see a human besides at the scanner. No more lines at the wide area that used to have them, and now the lines are in a dark corridor where people are checking their own bags on a machine.)

Hubby will probably take a laptop, but it is a long trip and who knows who will drop it or lose the power cord. So, I can't count on a computer.

TIA.

From this post you'll be able to tell I don't travel or fly much, but here goes:

Hubby and Kiddo are cruising to Australia this fall. They will fly back from Sydney via Quantas, with a US company connection out of CA. I'm used to logging on 24 hours before a flight and printing a boarding pass at home, or at a relative's house.

How will they do this in Sydney? Do they just show up at the airport in time, wait in line, show their passports and Quantas will print them? And in L.A? (At our airport you barely see a human besides at the scanner. No more lines at the wide area that used to have them, and now the lines are in a dark corridor where people are checking their own bags on a machine.)

Hubby will probably take a laptop, but it is a long trip and who knows who will drop it or lose the power cord. So, I can't count on a computer.

TIA.

Yes, if they have not printed their boarding passes ahead of time, they just show up with their ID and Quantas will print them at the airport.

No problem. People do this all the time.

Assuming that their flights were all booked with one carrier (even though the booking airline is using a separate airline in LA), the Quantas people in Sydney will give them all of their boarding passes in Sydney.

ie: they will receive their LA boarding passes while they are in Sydney

Although, on rare occasions....they may tell you to check in with the airline in the connecting city.

I assume they are flying SYD to either LAX or DFW on Qantas (code QF), then home on American Airlines (AA)? If so, the two airlines have a close alliance. Their baggage transfer will be pretty seamless, and QF will probably pre-print their AA boarding passes.

If you provide more details, people can offer lots of helpful suggestions.

Last thing, there is no "u" in Qantas, which is an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services.

You should be able to print your boarding passes on board 24 hrs before the flight. All boarding passes for all flights should be able to printed out.

How would I be on board 24 hours before the flight? What airlines allow printing of boarding passes while on board?

Thank you.

How would I be on board 24 hours before the flight? What airlines allow printing of boarding passes while on board?

Thank you.

If your husband is on the ship the day before the flight he could use the computers on the ship (a small fee for internet access) and print the boarding passes out. If he is staying at a hotel the day before then he could go to the business center of the hotel and print them out. Worst case he can just check in at the airport.

Keith

With Qantas, it's definitely a good idea to check in at 24 hours. In most cases, Qantas does not allow seat selection ahead of 24 hours unless you pay.

Now, if they already have seat assignments, it's no biggy - there is no need to check in 24 hours ahead in my opinion (I fly Qantas quite frequently (next Friday is my next QF flight) and just about never check in ahead of time).

If they do not have seat assignments, I would do all that is possible to check in 24 hours ahead, lest they end up in a middle seat for that long flight. There are worse airlines to get stuck in a middle seat on...but it's still not ideal.

With Qantas, it's definitely a good idea to check in at 24 hours. In most cases, Qantas does not allow seat selection ahead of 24 hours unless you pay.

Now, if they already have seat assignments, it's no biggy - there is no need to check in 24 hours ahead in my opinion (I fly Qantas quite frequently (next Friday is my next QF flight) and just about never check in ahead of time).

If they do not have seat assignments, I would do all that is possible to check in 24 hours ahead, lest they end up in a middle seat for that long flight. There are worse airlines to get stuck in a middle seat on...but it's still not ideal.

I see you are from the Midwest. I am also flying to Sydney in November, flying American. I am confused about when and where to request seat assignment. 24 hours puts it around midnight here. Do I request the seat through American or Qantas website? Or should I call the airline?

I see you are from the Midwest. I am also flying to Sydney in November, flying American. I am confused about when and where to request seat assignment. 24 hours puts it around midnight here. Do I request the seat through American or Qantas website? Or should I call the airline?

If you are actually flying on AA, and you have the confirmation number, go online at AA's web page and choose your seat now.

I am guess you booked on AA.com, correct? In that case, call American - they will give you the Qantas confirmation code. You can then log in to your reservation on Qantas.com.

24 hours out, you will be able to check-in for your flight. That might mean midnight your time...that stinks, but so be it. That's your best bet to score a decent seat without paying anything.

If he is staying at a hotel the day before then he could go to the business center of the hotel and print them out.

Ah-hah.

I never stay in hotels. They have computer rooms where one can surf to an airline's website and print! Great.

Archived