La Reserve Restaurant - Marina/Riviera

Lola911

Hello,

I am looking for anyone's impression and rating of La Reserve. I understand how it works: charge, menus, number of people, location. Was it worth it...did you enjoy the seating arrangements?

Thank you

Hello,

I am looking for anyone's impression and rating of La Reserve. I understand how it works: charge, menus, number of people, location. Was it worth it...did you enjoy the seating arrangements?

Thank you

I cannot imagine anyone who likes wine pairing not liking La Reserve..it was absolutely spectacular!!! Seating was fine talked to all the people at our table and enjoyed the conversation..

Jancruz1

Hello,

Thank you

We have done La Reserve each time we have been on an "O" class ship (3 sailings, two visits on 2 of the sailings and once on the other) and truly enjoyed the experience. The seating arrangements are fine. There are 8 people at each of 3 rectangle tables. Not the most ideal, but it works OK. You need to make the effort to talk to the others who are not right next to you or exactly across the table. If someone at the other end of the table is soft spoken, it can be difficult to hear them. Is it worth it....only you can answer that question. If you enjoy excellent wine and exceptional food then yes, if you really aren't into wine but want to experiment and perhaps learn something (like our friends Don and Betsy Horner) yes. If you are just there for the food, I'm not so sure.

Cenia

We have done La Reserve each time we have been on an "O" class ship (3 sailings, two visits on 2 of the sailings and once on the other) and truly enjoyed the experience. The seating arrangements are fine. There are 8 people at each of 3 rectangle tables. Not the most ideal, but it works OK. You need to make the effort to talk to the others who are not right next to you or exactly across the table. If someone at the other end of the table is soft spoken, it can be difficult to hear them. Is it worth it....only you can answer that question. If you enjoy excellent wine and exceptional food then yes, if you really aren't into wine but want to experiment and perhaps learn something (like our friends Don and Betsy Horner) yes. If you are just there for the food, I'm not so sure.

Cenia

Cenia you are absolutely correct about the food..it is for a sophisticated palate or someone that likes to experience different tastes..if you are not open to that it wont be a great evening!!

Jancruz1

Excellent comments. May I also ask when you visited twice on ONE sailing did the menus change? I know on the website they are showing 'sample' menu. Oh another question (we do love wine), did you feel that you had a substantial glass of each wine or was it only a 4 oz. tasting?

Excellent comments. May I also ask when you visited twice on ONE sailing did the menus change? I know on the website they are showing 'sample' menu. Oh another question (we do love wine), did you feel that you had a substantial glass of each wine or was it only a 4 oz. tasting?

The pours are very generous..

Shari

Sharicruz6

We went to La Reserve on our Riviera cruise this June. The pours were adequate, the company and seating very nice. The dinner was very elegant with small portions but the food was prepared well and very good. I like the innovative approach to the meal and the combinations were excellent.

Having done it once I would not do it again but I would certainly not forgo trying the experience at least once. The cost is up there. If the price was lower then I would return. Have fun and give it a go.

I concur with all of the positive comments. We did go back the second time we were on the Marina and loved it as much as the first time. The menu was different and made is just as worthwhile as the first time. We thought the cost was worth it. They offered us additonal pours on any of the wine we wanted - didn't really need any, though. We tried to make sure to book when we didn't have a shore excursion planned the next morning. We also knew the 2nd time to go a bit early and enjoy the outside area and a glass of Proseco (I think) and visit before going in.

I concur with all of the positive comments. We did go back the second time we were on the Marina and loved it as much as the first time. The menu was different and made is just as worthwhile as the first time. We thought the cost was worth it. They offered us additonal pours on any of the wine we wanted - didn't really need any, though. We tried to make sure to book when we didn't have a shore excursion planned the next morning. We also knew the 2nd time to go a bit early and enjoy the outside area and a glass of Proseco (I think) and visit before going in.

Never thought of asking for more and felt odd if I did. They never came around again and offered so I didn't ask. All of the wines were excellent. I don't like dessert wines so I gave mine to my seat mate who was most appreciative.

#7 and #8 thank you for your comments. Since reservations are not released yet for our cabin category I have another question. Is there only one seating time/evening? Thanks again

There is only one seating time, I think 7:00pm. La Reserve is not open every evening to the general population since they now use it for the owner, vista and oceania suite dinner. Once you are able to book on line, I suggest you do so, that way you are guaranteed a spot. Once on board, you can always check to see what other evenings have been opened up. Check at the general reservation desk on deck 5 to see what other nights might have been added. At least by booking ahead of time, you know you have a place and can change it if you want and if there is space available. As stated above there are 2 menus, Exploration and Discovery and a new more expensive (the wines are over the top on this menu as is the food) menu Connoisseur. We have been fortunate to have tried all three. We were always given sufficient wine pours at these dinners. Would I do it again, you bet. It really is a great experience if you are into ultra gourmet food and good/great wine.

Cenia

#7 and #8 thank you for your comments. Since reservations are not released yet for our cabin category I have another question. Is there only one seating time/evening? Thanks again

Do not wait for your cabin category to be released for reserving La Reserve. You can reserve on line at any time. You will need to pay by charge card when you reserve. There will be no seats left if you wait for your cabin category to open up or to be on the ship.

On our 12 day cruise there were two nights where La Reserve held the dinner. La Reserve is not held every evening. There is a set time - I believe the dinner was at 7 pm but get there a little early so you can have some Prosecco and an Amuse Bouche. Depending on demand and availability, Oceania will open a third night. There are two menus and they are different for each of the two nights. You do not get to chose the menu - only the day you want to go. Hope this helps. Reserve now if you really want to go. If you decide to cancel, you get you money back if it is done within a certain time frame.

How much in advance can you do a booking. Do bookings for reservations open at same time as other restaurants??

La Reserve operates differently. I had a B4 and the specialty restaurants booking on line opens up 45 days prior to sailing.

I booked La Reserve months in advance. Just go to Oceania booking on line and you will be able to reserve La Reserve. I don't really know how far in advance it opens up but I do know it is not on the same schedule. Good luck and enjoy and don't forget to ask for a second. Wish I knew this when I was there.

We have done La Reserve twice. Have also done many tasting dinners. the first one was spectacular, hence the second. We did enjoy the second one, but will likely not repeat.

The pours were very generous and the wine was very good. Food was good second time, but not great. The first time we went on time and missed the drinks outside. Second time we went a little early and they treated us like we should not have been there, and they were not ready. It was weird after having missed the drinks outside the first time.

You can book ahead at anytime but you have to pay when you book. If you book onboard, you can use shipboard credit which is what we did the second time and there was no problem with availability.

Mo

It isn't a restaurant that is on my list to try as I hate "wine pairings". I prefer to choose the wine I drink with my food! Sounds a bit curmudgeon-like, but that is my preference!!

I am however curious about the reference to "Owners, Vista and Oceania suite dinner". We are booked in an Oceania suite on the Riviera in January. Is there a special dinner for people in these suites? Or was the reference to the fact that people in these suites get priority in making dining reservations??

There is only one seating time, I think 7:00pm. La Reserve is not open every evening to the general population since they now use it for the owner, vista and oceania suite dinner. Once you are able to book on line, I suggest you do so, that way you are guaranteed a spot. Once on board, you can always check to see what other evenings have been opened up. Check at the general reservation desk on deck 5 to see what other nights might have been added. At least by booking ahead of time, you know you have a place and can change it if you want and if there is space available. As stated above there are 2 menus, Exploration and Discovery and a new more expensive (the wines are over the top on this menu as is the food) menu Connoisseur. We have been fortunate to have tried all three. We were always given sufficient wine pours at these dinners. Would I do it again, you bet. It really is a great experience if you are into ultra gourmet food and good/great wine.

Cenia

Cenia that suite dinner has been canceled..for many reasons..

Jancruz1

I am however curious about the reference to "Owners, Vista and Oceania suite dinner". We are booked in an Oceania suite on the Riviera in January. Is there a special dinner for people in these suites? Or was the reference to the fact that people in these suites get priority in making dining reservations??

Yes, on each voyage the Chef De Cuisine invites the full Suite passengers to a Dinner with the culinary, wine and hotel management team.

6a0120a92e343a970b0148c727ba6e970c-800wi

On the R ships, this dinner is held on the Pool Deck Patio, weather permitting, hence the official name of the occasion, the "Chef's Patio".

On the Oceania Class ships, the Patio Dinner is held in La Reserve on one of the nights when it would otherwise be dark; and no, one cannot predict in advance on which night it will be held.

JimandStan,

Am I misunderstanding....is the suite dinner that Jan says is cancelled the one you are referring to? I was kinda looking forward to it as we booked an Oceania suite for our upcoming cruise. Thanks for all of your help, as always.

K

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. We were on the Marina in April and this was the one experience I wanted to be sure to have! The seating was open as we just all sort of wandered into the room from the deck with our first drinks. I felt the menu was superb - even though there were some courses that I liked better than others. The pours were MORE than generous! And - the waiters kept coming around with additional pours if they saw you particularly liked one. Our server even noticed that I was drinking the Prosecco and only taking a small sip of the heavier reds - so - he came back again and again with the Prosecco for me. I was really happy that we only had to crawl back to our cabin that night!! When I complained about a little bit of a headache the next day, my husband reminded me of the two glasses of bubbly I'd had in Taormina for lunch, along with all the wine with dinner. :) I felt this was the best experience on the ship. I cannot wait to get on the Marina or Riviera to do this again!

JimandStan,

Am I misunderstanding....is the suite dinner that Jan says is cancelled the one you are referring to? I was kinda looking forward to it as we booked an Oceania suite for our upcoming cruise. Thanks for all of your help, as always.

K

Sadly, the Chef's Patio Dinner's have recently been cancelled because of........are you sitting down?..........lack of passenger participation!

Such a shame, it was a wonderful opportunity for guests to interact with the managers.

Archived