Port of Tampa closing Sunday

Vmalcolm

Have a feeling this article was published before the announced port closing by the CG.

It was posted at 1:29 today, just half an hour ago. Wouldn't be the first bad info they gave and known to update the article. Someone already commented on the article that other news agencies are reporting port closure. I expect a correction soon.

Yes, Carnival is terrible about informing their guest!

Just think about all the people that will fly in today and tomorrow and will not have a ship to sail on nor will they have a hotel room or transportation anywhere all so Carnival can wait till the last minute to announce a decision that has already been made for them.

I'm afraid this is the chance you take during hurricane season. Sorry but I can only imagine Carnival is trying their best not to make an announcement, only to retract and issue another.

There is still quite a bit of uncertainty regarding this system.

It was posted at 1:29 today, just half an hour ago. Wouldn't be the first bad info they gave and known to update the article. Someone already commented on the article that other news agencies are reporting port closure. I expect a correction soon.

Updated: August 25, 2012 - 1:29 PM

Either way, TBO is about as efficient reporting the news correctly as Carnival is at rolling out a new program.

Yes, Carnival is terrible about informing their guest!

Just think about all the people that will fly in today and tomorrow and will not have a ship to sail on nor will they have a hotel room or transportation anywhere all so Carnival can wait till the last minute to announce a decision that has already been made for them.

oh boy. this is going to be one unhappy outgoing cruise.

sailor should keep their ears close to the uttered words REFUND and take them promptly. this has the makings of fire and brimstone covens in the atrium.

They are currently there right now loading, so they'll be out to sea this afternoon.

OOPS my bad:o I was looking at wrong day

So the only ship in FLL tomorrow is Allure

If I was stuck at sea for an extra day Im thinking that would be a good ship to be on

Reposed for a Person Live on the Legend on CCLs Funville forums Sat Aug 25, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

(The Coast Guard has closed the Tampa cruiseport and is having us get off at Port Canaveral. They are providing buses to get to Tampa which will take about 2 1/2 hours. The swells are getting pretty big and only growing. Going out with a bang!!)

CCL get on the ball and announce something

For the uninitiated the legend will be in port by then. Carnival has done this before due to pprojected fog. We came back once before at 1am. The problem will be if the airport cancelled flights.

. . :confused: . .

. . . . .

Reposed for a Person Live on the Legend on CCLs Funville forums Sat Aug 25, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

(The Coast Guard has closed the Tampa cruiseport and is having us get off at Port Canaveral. They are providing buses to get to Tampa which will take about 2 1/2 hours. The swells are getting pretty big and only growing. Going out with a bang!!)

CCL get on the ball and announce something

WOW that would suck

Seems they are going to turn around the ship in Port Canaveral and bus everyone..

Usually CCL is good about notifying people via social media and text messages...though for some reason there hasn't really been any activity on their twitter accounts....hmmm

I will say that they sort of hide the info on their sites...though as of right now, they do have the info on their consumer site.

PORT OF TAMPA - Due to the potential impact of Tropical Storm Isaac, no vessels, including cruise ships and cargo, will be allowed to move through the Port of Tampa.

A “Condition X-ray” was issued by the U.S. Coast Guard at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, and the decision was handed down that no traffic will pass through the Port of Tampa after 3:00 a.m. Sunday.

Carnival, which is the only cruise line to run out of the port in the summer, had cruises scheduled for Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone scheduled to board Sunday’s cruise, the Carnival Legend, should get in contact with the cruise line immediately, as it will not be allowed through the port.

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/port-of-tampa-to-be-closed-to-cruises-all-other-vessels--due-to-tropical-storm-isaac#ixzz24aIjmL8Y

Just found this on Carnival's website:

CARNIVAL LEGEND – 8/19/12 DEPARTURE

The Port of Tampa is expected to close by 3:00 AM on Sunday. At this time, they are uncertain as to when the port will reopen. Therefore, we have made arrangements to dock at Port Canaveral instead, where we will arrive at 8:00 AM on Sunday. Busses will be available to take guests to the Port of Tampa or the Tampa airport. The parking garage at the port will be open. It will take approximately two and a half hours to the Port of Tampa from Port Canaveral.

CARNIVAL LEGEND – 8/26/12 DEPARTURE

Due to the expected port closure in Tampa, the Carnival Legend will dock in Port Canaveral on Sunday. We ask that guests proceed to the Port of Tampa and plan to arrive between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. The parking garage at the port will be open to park your vehicle. We will have busses available to take you and your luggage to Port Canaveral. Please do not proceed to Port Canaveral directly as the ship will be docking in Tampa when we return next week.

It will take approximately two and a half hours to Port Canaveral from the Port of Tampa and no adverse weather is expected. The last bus will depart from Tampa at 4:00 PM and we expect to sail at 8:00 PM.

At this time, our itinerary remains unchanged. However, there is a possibility we may have to make changes, depending on the path of the storm.

Sky - Off Topic, but hoping you'll post your impressions of Paradise after your return. thanks, Ken

Hi Ken! Yes I will. I haven't sailed "Paradise" since she was the "Non Smoking" ship, so I'm anxious to see how she looks these many years later, and also how she stacks up to "Inspiration". I'll let y'all know.

Ken

"SKY"

The Port of Tampa is expected to close by 3:00 AM on Sunday. At this time, they are uncertain as to when the port will reopen. Therefore, we have made arrangements to dock at Port Canaveral instead, where we will arrive at 8:00 AM on Sunday. Busses will be available to take guests to the Port of Tampa or the Tampa airport. The parking garage at the port will be open. It will take approximately two and a half hours to the Port of Tampa from Port Canaveral.

Due to the expected port closure in Tampa, the Carnival Legend will dock in Port Canaveral on Sunday. We ask that guests proceed to the Port of Tampa and plan to arrive between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. The parking garage at the port will be open to park your vehicle. We will have busses available to take you and your luggage to Port Canaveral. Please do not proceed to Port Canaveral directly as the ship will be docking in Tampa when we return next week.

It will take approximately two and a half hours to Port Canaveral from the Port of Tampa and no adverse weather is expected. The last bus will depart from Tampa at 4:00 PM and we expect to sail at 8:00 PM.

At this time, our itinerary remains unchanged. However, there is a possibility we may have to make changes, depending on the path of the storm.

This sounds reasonable to me, given the weather situation! I would be ok with 2 1/2 hrs on a bus to make my cruise. It might leave a couple of hours late, but better than not going at all.

Two observations:

For those who have first seating in the Carnival Legend main dining rooms, no one will be torn between going to dinner or staying out on deck to watch the ship go under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. :(

Although this ship has actually nothing whatsover to do (yet) with the new program . . . can you just imagine someone on the Tampa-to-PC bus transfer casually walking up to the driver and saying, "Look, dude, I paid for Faster To The Fun, so you better start moving faster. Pedal to the metal. NOW!" :)

Pilot boat has just met up with Carnival Legend (approaching Port Canaveral).

Carnival Sensation was shifted over to its former Terminal 5 spot in order to give Legend the new Terminal 6.

Let the Commuter Project begin.

This was in my email this am...I dont have a cruise booked...how weird.

Maybe Carnival just sent it to everyone.

Pilot boat has just met up with Carnival Legend (approaching Port Canaveral).

Carnival Sensation was shifted over to its former Terminal 5 spot in order to give Legend the new Terminal 6.

Let the Commuter Project begin.

Yup, she's on her way towards the inlet. I was surprised to see Sensation moved over, but the new terminal grounds are likely better to handle the busses etc.

Archived