Open Seating has me concerned-solo cruiser

martinimadam

I've always traveled on ships that had set seating. Even on the river cruises I took whci had about 100 - 150 passengers.

I'm concerned about being a solo and having to face open seating. Does Seabourn have 6 - 8 top tables in the dining room that they fill with folks so inclined? What about in the Verandah Cafe? I don't want to spend the money for a transatlantic cruise and have to eat in my cabin every night watching some movie! I definitely won't eat at a table by myself, except at breakfast.

Could other solo cruisers share their expeiences? Thanks.

You don't have to worry there are 6-8 people tables that you can request when entering the dining room. Also lovely host tables practically every night. As a single traveler you will be will taken care of. Only have to hang out in your cabin, if you wish.

I've always traveled on ships that had set seating. Even on the river cruises I took whci had about 100 - 150 passengers.

I'm concerned about being a solo and having to face open seating. Does Seabourn have 6 - 8 top tables in the dining room that they fill with folks so inclined? What about in the Verandah Cafe? I don't want to spend the money for a transatlantic cruise and have to eat in my cabin every night watching some movie! I definitely won't eat at a table by myself, except at breakfast.

Could other solo cruisers share their expeiences? Thanks.

On my cruise I had ~6 or 8 invites to hosted tables (out of 16 nights). The other nights I either ate in R2, joined people in R2 or was asked if I wanted to share a table with others (in the Restaurant). Due to table size it's harder to just join others in R2/Veranda but it is possible. For breakfast and lunch I saw people joining others in the Veranda, however it is harder to do due to the limited space (R2/Veranda share the same space on the little sisters).

I must be missing something...

If you are single then why not make friends with a couple of people and/or other singles and coordinate your dinner plans?

Flexibility with numbers and locations for dinner is one of the highlights and hallmarks of Seabourn that you won't get on Crystal while the food is the envy of Regent and Silversea. So what's the big deal?

Like the song says, if you can make it there you can make it anywhere. That's true on the Seabourn wannabe lines. But not on Seabourn where you can have it your way- provided you make the effort!

And if you are not so inclined all the time (for whatever reason) you can eat alone. There is plenty of room on the Seabourn ships, especially the larger ones. They have about 650 seats for 450 passengers.

Enjoy!

I have been cruising with my Mom for the last eight years. Two years ago, and at the last moment, she had to cancel so I went alone. Seabourn treats single passengers wonderfully. I had an invitation to sit at a Hosted Table every evening. You won't have to eat alone unless you choose to do so. HTH

Lisa :)

I have travelled solo on Seabourn twice (and on many other lines). I spoke the the head person in the dinning room on the first day, and had an invite all nights of the cruise.

I disagree with meeting up and having dinner with another single - they can become too clingy and, and want to be with you all the time. I enjoy being alone sometimes. Nice to join them occasionally, but at your choice.

If there were two people at a table at breakfast or lunch I would ask if I could join them, or sit at a table alone, and soon someone would join me - the only time you would eat all alone, is if you want to.

You will enjoy the trip - I found people very friendly and have no problem travelling alone, especially on Seabourn.:)

I love joining large tables, no matter whom I'm travelling with, especially early on in a cruise. It's one of the best ways to meet new people in a low-pressure setting; everyone's friendly and happy and in a good mood--how could they not be? Enjoying good food and drink :)

You've all lessened my concerns. The hosted tables sound great and, once I have a chance to meet a few folks I'll be able to arrange some dinners in the Verandah on m y own. It's just the initial "I don't know anybody" that's the concern. I will make sure to speak to someone in the dining room on the first day...that should help, too.

I agree with nanwel about meeting up with other singles. The idea of cruising solo is to be free to choose what I want to do and not worry about someone else. And now that it looks like dinner time will be taken care of, I'm ready to book!

Not in my opinion. I feel that the food, wine and presentation and table settings on Regent are superior. I cannot speak for Silversea.

I'll offer a different opinion. Even if everything else were equal Regents budget per meal per passenger isn't near Seabourns and IIRC lags SilverSea as well. There's only so much you can do with a Happy Meal budget. Though I have heard that by combining about 50% of the menu items Regent has upgraded the happy meal to the old Super Size budget. That and service speed on Regent was atrocious and they have a severe allergy to a la minute cooking.

I'll offer a different opinion. Even if everything else were equal Regents budget per meal per passenger isn't near Seabourns and IIRC lags SilverSea as well. There's only so much you can do with a Happy Meal budget. Though I have heard that by combining about 50% of the menu items Regent has upgraded the happy meal to the old Super Size budget. That and service speed on Regent was atrocious and they have a severe allergy to a la minute cooking.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am, though isn't that in cooking terms "over-egging the pudding" Where on Seabourn is the equivalent of Prime 7 or Signatures or indeed Sette Mari?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am, though isn't that in cooking terms "over-egging the pudding" Where on Seabourn is the equivalent of Prime 7 or Signatures or indeed Sette Mari?

If I had to compare Seabourn to one of those venues it would be Signatures.

What's great about Seabourn is that they avoided the same old cliche specialty restaurants of steak house, Italian and Continental, the hallmarks of all mass market lines. Regent's customers obviously like at sea what they can find at home.

What's great about Seabourn is that they avoided the same old cliche specialty restaurants of steak house, Italian and Continental, the hallmarks of all mass market lines. Regent's customers obviously like at sea what they can find at home.

Yes,well said.

I have just returned from a trip on Crystal Serenity and I think that Silk Road is probably the best food at sea at present.

The rest of the dining on board was well below par for a so called luxury ship:rolleyes:

Yes,well said.

I have just returned from a trip on Crystal Serenity and I think that Silk Road is probably the best food at sea at present.

The rest of the dining on board was well below par for a so called luxury ship:rolleyes:

That's sad to hear. Once upon a time I felt Crystal had the best of the luxury lines.

Archived