QM2 Queens vs Princess Grill Suite: Realistically what's the difference?

room010

I'm seriously considering the Round Australia QM2 cruise in Feb 2014. I'll probably be sailing solo (not a problem) but have decided that my first Cunard voyage should be one to remember so I'm going to spend the kids' inheritance on a Queens or Princess Grill suite. Given the price difference :eek: is one really so much better than the other? It's very hard to tell from the brochure/website as its mostly marketing spin rather than objective fact so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I think you should know that they've priced this circumnavigation much higher than the last one. In February this year, we did the Sydney to Sydney circumnavigation in Princess Grill for $22k, now they want $31k. That's a big price jump.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Princess Grill accommodation and amenities. You'll find that your PG suite is very roomy and has more than enough space for two people, let alone one. Deck 10 on QM2 is a very good location and the views from the balconies are better than those on deck 9 (I think, anyway, as the orange tops of the lifeboats are not visible when sitting on your deck 10 balcony).

You get all the perks that Queens Grill passengers get, with the exception of a butler. You go to the same Grills parties and use the same Queens Grill lounge, Grills Concierge lounge and Grills deck.

Queens Grill passenger do get a free in-room bar set-up. How much you like to drink will depend on whether the extra thousands of dollars makes this a worthwhile difference. If you expect to drink about $6-7 thousand dollars worth of alcohol during the three week voyage, then this QG perk could make the extra expense for QG worth it.

The Princess Grill restaurant is slightly smaller than the Queens Grill but the food has been described (by some) as the same. This makes sense as the two restaurants are served by the same kitchen (which is in-between). You certainly get the same excellent service and can go off menu as much as you like; I've never had a request refused. The difference between the QG & PG restaurants can be sumarised as:

• Queens Grill passengers get free caviar.
  • The Queens Grill menu is larger than the Princess Grill one. (somewhat redundant as you can go off menu and order whatever you like in Princess Grill)

I think you've made the right decision to go in the Grills. I would suggest you book Princess Grill and use the money you've saved to go towards you're on board account. If you have any other questions, I'm only too happy to help.

Edited by Whitemarsh

That's exactly the info I was after. Thank you! I've had butler service on other cruiselines and I've never been convinced its worth the extra $$$. Ditto "free" drinks and caviar and in any event I don't think I'll consume almost $10,000 worth :eek: which is the price difference between QG and PG I've been quoted. As you say, that money can be more productively put towards on board expenses, tips, etc.

I will speak to my TA next week as although the cruise is 18 months away I'm told there's a lot of interest already and some categories are selling fast.

We have done the Princess Grill twice and were very pleased. As a solo traveler, Anything above PG might be a waste. Same menu except for always available items. We, too, were always accommodated with special requests. I will say the the service on our second cruise was not up to the standards of the first cruise. I felt there were some cutbacks. If you can afford it, the Grills are the way to go.

I agree with Whitemarsh. My husband and I have sailed in both, and Princess Grill offers all we need, although I did find the added space in the Queens Grill stateroom very pleasant for two. For one, Princess Grill is certainly more than adequate.

Both dining rooms are very pleasant, with outstanding service. I really did not notice a difference in the food between the two. I should add that in the Queens Grill dining room, the atmosphere was disturbed on one voyage by rather demanding passengers, but that is the luck of the draw. Wishing you a wonderful sailing.

I agree with Whitemarsh. My husband and I have sailed in both, and Princess Grill offers all we need, although I did find the added space in the Queens Grill stateroom very pleasant for two. For one, Princess Grill is certainly more than adequate.

Both dining rooms are very pleasant, with outstanding service. I really did not notice a difference in the food between the two. I should add that in the Queens Grill dining room, the atmosphere was disturbed on one voyage by rather demanding passengers, but that is the luck of the draw. Wishing you a wonderful sailing.

PG suites on QM2 are a better configuration than on QV/QE. Having spoken to several folks who have experienced both, all say QM2 is far more practical and spacious.

I'd agree there is little difference btwn the Grills, location of suite is the critical factor IMO. We prefer the QG "wrap around" balconies on QV, at the aft, to other locations but we are trying the "midships" QG 6 on QM2 next April. On a longer, more expensive, trip I'd have no hesitation choosing a P Grill suite on QM2 tbh.

Edited by Pies4u

The most salient difference between the Queens Grill and the Princess Grill is the standard of the cabin. They just aren't comparable. We find that we spend more time in our cabin on a cruise than we do in our hotel room, so generally opt for the QG. We also love to entertain in our cabin, and that's just not going to happen in the PG. if you opt for a Q7, chances are that you could end up with a Penthouse (Q3/4). If you book a Penthouse, you could end up with a Q1 or Q2. Once you've experienced that, it's hard to go back to the PG.

I equate it to traveling First Class on an aircraft vs Business Class. Or the Ritz Carlton vs the Hilton. Both may be 5 star, but are hardly the same thing at all. If this is an occasional splurge, then I would do it big!

With respect, I don't think Whitemarsh has been in the QG and thus impossible for him to truly offer first hand experience. I rarely post, but did want you to have a balanced viewpoint from someone who has actually experienced everything from Britannia to the Queens Grill Master Suites. There are lots of little unpublished extras that make a Queens Grill experience more memorable. Otherwise, why would we and countless others continue to pay extra for it?

Hopefully some others that have actually experienced the Queen Grill will weigh in with their viewpoints. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

Edited by Kiltboys
Spelling

My husband and I have sailed in both PG and QG on QM2 and even though the QG stateroom is more spacious I would not again pay the difference. There is still plenty of room in PG. We actuaaly preferred the PG restaurant, slightly smaller and far more personal. For the difference in price you can buy an awful lot of bottles of spirits and wine!

I would also recommend PG. The cabins aren't as big as the QG ones if you are hosting a soiree, but it can be done. I would agree with all that has been said about the advantage of PG. Book a P1 and you may get upgraded to QG!

Edited by safarigal

Caviar is overrated anyway :). Thanks to all for such useful input. The First/Business class analogy makes sense I think and on that basis it's got to be QG! On the other hand I'm already paying a substantial single supplement - ah, the joys of solo cruising - so maybe I can really only justify PG. I will find out what's still available in both and then probably pester you again for the lowdown on each.

I've sailed in a Q4 and Q6 on QM2 solo, but trying a P1 in a few weeks. Will let you know if there is a huge difference. Since my last butler was creepy and condescending I'm all too happy to give up that perk (ie: asking how I could afford a penthouse all to myself, and going through my closet and commenting in passing on my clothes... Ewww)

Edited by avalon1025

Just spoke to my TA and the cruise is virtually sold out already! Only 3 PG and 3 QG left, all on Guarantee only. Everything else is wait listed. I then discovered that a $3,200 or $4,200 deposit respectively and payable now is non-refundable :mad: I really don't feel comfortable making this commitment 18 months in advance when so many things could conspire to prevent me going so I think I'll pass and maybe see if there are any last minute opportunities much nearer to departure.

The most salient difference between the Queens Grill and the Princess Grill is the standard of the cabin. They just aren't comparable. We find that we spend more time in our cabin on a cruise than we do in our hotel room, so generally opt for the QG. We also love to entertain in our cabin, and that's just not going to happen in the PG. if you opt for a Q7, chances are that you could end up with a Penthouse (Q3/4). If you book a Penthouse, you could end up with a Q1 or Q2. Once you've experienced that, it's hard to go back to the PG.

I equate it to traveling First Class on an aircraft vs Business Class. Or the Ritz Carlton vs the Hilton. Both may be 5 star, but are hardly the same thing at all. If this is an occasional splurge, then I would do it big!

With respect, I don't think Whitemarsh has been in the QG and thus impossible for him to truly offer first hand experience. I rarely post, but did want you to have a balanced viewpoint from someone who has actually experienced everything from Britannia to the Queens Grill Master Suites. There are lots of little unpublished extras that make a Queens Grill experience more memorable. Otherwise, why would we and countless others continue to pay extra for it?

Hopefully some others that have actually experienced the Queen Grill will weigh in with their viewpoints. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

So far no one has step forward to outline the benefits of QG that make the substantial price between between QG & PG worth it, so perhaps you might do the honours for us?

Let's suppose the price difference between PG & QG is ten thousand dollars (as verified by the OP, who has received quotes for both PG & QG for the same cruise).

We've already listed the following QG only perks:

• Butler
  • Complimentary in-room bar set-up.
  • Free caviar in the QG restaurant.
  • A larger menu than Princess Grill (we did note that PG passengers can go off menu, which does make this perk somewhat redundant).

We can also add:

• Q4 & above get a DVD player.
  • Q4 & above get priority tender service.
  • Evening canapés. It should be noted that the same canapés (sans caviar) are also available in the Commodore Club. Additionally, there is also food available in the Queens Grill lounge around this time as well (should PG passengers find themselves famished and unable to hold out until dinner).
  • Full bottle of French champagne with sugar-iced strawberries at embarkation (Princess Grill make do with a full bottle of sparkling wine accompanied by strawberries with chocolate).

I suppose it does come down to a personal opinion. If a person did think the above was worth $10k (or more) than they should definitely be booking Queens Grill. I am keen to find out what the unpublished extras are. It would be great if someone could publish them on here, it would be interesting to see (purely from our individual perspectives) if they, in addition to the above, were worth $10k.

For the sake of this discussion I'm happy to share the exact price details as quoted by my TA.

Melbourne to Melbourne (23 days) inc single supplement and taxes, etc but excluding tips and other on board expenses:

QG = Au$ 42,133

PG = Au$ 31,643

A difference of Au$ 10,490

Discuss :D

If you are travelling Solo, do Princess Grill!

If you were travelling with someone, do Queens as I have done.

Once did a Britannia Club solo but found that restrictive size wise (and missed the bath tub!) - the Princess Grille staterooms on QM2 are 1.5 times the size of the Britannia rooms - the QG rooms start at twice the size of the Britannia rooms. Use the money you save on the Princess Grille stateroom for your onboard spend (and ignore the bottle of Pok Acker:mad: which will be in your stateroom - get a good bottle of champagne!:D)

Again, can you no longer request what you want a day in advance in PG? If not then things have severely changed since I sailed in PG a few years ago when caviar was free flowing and the maitre d' was disappointed if we didn't special order something.

Again, can you no longer request what you want a day in advance in PG? If not then things have severely changed since I sailed in PG a few years ago when caviar was free flowing and the maitre d' was disappointed if we didn't special order something.

You can still request whatever you want in Princess Grill, provided you give them notice.

The only thing that has changed is that caviar is not free.

I think you should know that they've priced this circumnavigation much higher than the last one. In February this year, we did the Sydney to Sydney circumnavigation in Princess Grill for $22k, now they want $31k. That's a big price jump.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Princess Grill accommodation and amenities. You'll find that your PG suite is very roomy and has more than enough space for two people, let alone one. Deck 10 on QM2 is a very good location and the views from the balconies are better than those on deck 9 (I think, anyway, as the orange tops of the lifeboats are not visible when sitting on your deck 10 balcony).

You get all the perks that Queens Grill passengers get, with the exception of a butler. You go to the same Grills parties and use the same Queens Grill lounge, Grills Concierge lounge and Grills deck.

Queens Grill passenger do get a free in-room bar set-up. How much you like to drink will depend on whether the extra thousands of dollars makes this a worthwhile difference. If you expect to drink about $6-7 thousand dollars worth of alcohol during the three week voyage, then this QG perk could make the extra expense for QG worth it.

The Princess Grill restaurant is slightly smaller than the Queens Grill but the food has been described (by some) as the same. This makes sense as the two restaurants are served by the same kitchen (which is in-between). You certainly get the same excellent service and can go off menu as much as you like; I've never had a request refused. The difference between the QG & PG restaurants can be sumarised as:

• Queens Grill passengers get free caviar.
  • The Queens Grill menu is larger than the Princess Grill one. (somewhat redundant as you can go off menu and order whatever you like in Princess Grill)

I think you've made the right decision to go in the Grills. I would suggest you book Princess Grill and use the money you've saved to go towards you're on board account. If you have any other questions, I'm only too happy to help.

I've seen incidents where the staff isn't quite so willing to grant requests to go off menu in Princess Grill. I think it might be more up to the staffs' whim on that one.

Is there no longer included caviar in PG?

Usually, it's served once during your voyage. Most often on the last formal night when the ship's staff really go all out to make it a memorable night(not like they aren't already!)

I've seen incidents where the staff isn't quite so willing to grant requests to go off menu in Princess Grill. I think it might be more up to the staffs' whim on that one.

Really? Maybe that was a while ago. In February this year the response from one of the waiters to an off-menu request was "You can have whatever you like, as long as it's not an elephant sandwich".

And our head waiter, who was tasked with coming up with flambéed desserts after we had run out of ideas, really got into the spirit of things and came up with some delicious flambé desserts.

Usually, it's served once during your voyage. Most often on the last formal night when the ship's staff really go all out to make it a memorable night(not like they aren't already!)

It's changed since you've last been in the Princess Grill. It's no longer free and hasn't been since sometime during 2011.

Really? Maybe that was a while ago. In February this year the response from one of the waiters to an off-menu request was "You can have whatever you like, as long as it's not an elephant sandwich".

And our head waiter, who was tasked with coming up with flambéed desserts after we had run out of ideas, really got into the spirit of things and came up with some delicious flambé desserts.

It's changed since you've last been in the Princess Grill. It's no longer free and hasn't been since sometime during 2011.

Kind of a bummer. The free Caviar was served on the last formal night. You could request & pay if you wanted more on other nights. On our 2010 trip in the Queens Grill(Q-6)our butler Lily served Caviar every night. It came out on a 10" plate. It was ringed with blinis with Caviar on top. A couple on the opposite side of the ship(9002)were refused by their waiter when it came to the Caviar Canapes. I told them to see the purser, as it was one of the items you could get.The purser quickly changed things & they got it on request.