Random Thoughts on a B2B in a Window Suite on the Golden Princess from 09/01 to 09/15

IECalCruiser

This will not be a typical “Live From”. Although we booked the WS early enough to qualify for free internet, I am not going to be logging on very often as we are on vacation. I will try to answer some questions, but no promises.

Pre-Cruise/Departure

• We had a “free” night at Marriott and stayed at the Springhill Suites. Room availability was limited because there was a Gaming Convention in town with over 60,000 attendees. They stayed mostly near the Convention Center so the city did not feel crowded.
  • Hotel is somewhat remote and over a mile from the Pike’s Market area but has a free shuttle that takes you to the Convention Center and the Space Needle so you could get to a number of attractions easily. We had a very nice view of the Space Needle from our hotel room on the 10th floor.
  • The rooms are nice and the complementary full breakfast is OK. Any place where you make your own Belgian waffles and has some good fruit is OK for us.
  • The hotel works with a shuttle company to provide $7.50/person transportation to Pier 91 which was reasonable and convenient. We are going to use the company at the end of our cruise to go to our post cruise hotel.
  • Boarding did not start until noon. The Platinum/Elite/Suite embarkation lounge is just a couple of rows of chairs in the main area. No water or coffee was provided while we waited.
  • We dropped off our carry-on bags and were in the dining room for lunch by 12:30. By the time we got back to our cabin at 1:30 our checked bags were waiting for us and we were able to quickly unpack.

First Impressions of the Window Suite.

• We have had a balcony or mini-suite cabin on all of our past ten cruises with Princess including a prior Alaskan cruise, but on the Alaskan itinerary we are not missing the balcony. There are great views out our windows with no obstruction below. Much better than inside a balcony cabin and warmer than outside on the balcony.
  • Location is very convenient to almost everything except the Horizon Court.
  • If the price was right we would book again in a heartbeat on any cooler weather cruise.

Platinum/Elite/Suite Lounge

• The “Cocktail of the Evening’ is $3.99
  • Although normal hours are still 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM, the Lounge was open from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM on Sailaway for great views departing Seattle. Hours for Glacier Bay will be 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM for scenic viewing after departing Glacier Bay

Drinks

• They are not offering a “Happy Hour” in the evening.
  • The Signature Cocktails are $7.95 but you can get a good selection of cocktails for $5.50.
  • There are six hot Alaska Beverage Treats offered also for $7.95.
  • Alaska Amber and Alaskan Summer Ale are available for $4.95.

Coffee Card

• DW had an unpunched card she had used for fresh brewed coffee from our cruise last year. They did not offer a new card. We have used the card for fresh brewed coffee and once for tea. It is hit and miss. Several times the baristas have punched the card for fresh brewed coffee and tea while other times they have not.

Wine Package

• I talked to Angelo, the Maitre ‘d, but they were not offering the Wine Package on the seven day cruises.
  • He indicated that it would be offered on the Hawaiian cruises.

Weather

• Sailaway was sunny but cool.
  • First sea day was overcast and cold but no rain.
  • Juneau was overcast, cold and rainy. As a result the helicopter and float plane tours were cancelled. This wasn’t only for the Golden but the HAL ship as well. People didn’t find out that the tours were cancelled until they met at their gathering point. They then had to try to find alternatives.
  • The day has started out overcast, cold and rainy in Skagway but the sun is fighting to come out. We have actually seen some patches of blue sky but don’t know if it will last.

First Impressions of the Food

• This is our first cruise in a suite with access to Sabatini’s for breakfast. The service and food has been very good to excellent. Our waitress suggested that DW try the Café Americano and she is now hooked. We may need to by an expresso machine for home and retire her French press.
  • I have had beef tenderloin (not the always available option) for three meals and the quality has been very good. I had suggested that option for our tablemates at lunch on embarkation day and one person ordered with me. He said it was some the best beef he has had on a cruise ship.
  • DW has opted for the vegetarian entrée for lunch twice (a burrito and a stuffed pepper) and she though they were both very good.
  • The orange soufflé, vanilla crème brulee and ice creams have been very good to excellent as always.
  • Portions appear to be slightly smaller (which means you waste less to keep it off your waist) but just as good as in the past.

Cruise Director and Naturalist

• There have been some negative comments about Frank Castiglione and Michael Modzelewski but we need to disagree. They both seem to do their jobs well.
  • Frank has provided a good selection of activities on board and the Wake Show with Frank and Bernie is fairly good with some funny bits in and amongst all of the typical sales pitches.
  • Michael can be a little dramatic at times but we have enjoyed his two presentations and has provides a lot of interesting information.
  • To each their own but they work for us.

Dance Classes/Bands

• Cruises are about the only place DW and I try to dance.
  • There are two relatively new bands on board, Icon and In the Pocket. In the Pocket plays a good mix of songs including some for ballroom dancing as well as a little rock and roll. We haven’t listened to Icon but the lead singer sounded a bit like Michael Jackson when we walked by Explorer’s Lounge one night.
  • One of the CD’s staff, Eric, has been doing the dance lessons but he is leaving next cruise and someone else will be taking over. As compared to most, his lessons are fast paced and you can learn a lot in less than 45 minutes. People with no experience might be challenged but it is good for someone who wants to learn again a number of moves the used to know but mostly forgot. Will be interesting to see if the pace changes with the new instructor.

Escargot

• They were offering escargot off menu on the first Formal Night, at least at second Traditional Dining
  • DW and I declined as snails are not our preferred delivery system for butter and garlic.

Hot Chocolate

• Hot chocolate was available free of charge in the Horizon Court all day. They added a pump dispenser next to the coffee dispensers
  • Couldn’t tell if it was made with milk or water but if made with water they used a high milk solids mixer because it tasted very good to us.

Balcony Furniture

• From what I could tell, Aloha and Baja decks had the two old fixed back chairs and an old table.
  • Caribe deck had two old reclining back chairs, two new ottomans and a new table.
  • Dolphin deck had two new reclining back chairs, two new ottomans and a new table.
  • The new tables looked almost as large as the old tables but perhaps a little lower.
  • This is only current info as of today. They may replace more furniture as time passes.

What to do in Juneau if they cancel your helicopter or float plane tour?

• We hadn’t planned a formal tour but were planning to take the tram up Mount Roberts or the bus to Mendenhall.
  • The tram was disappearing into the mist so we cancelled the tram idea and with the rain and wind it didn’t look like a good day to hike to the waterfall by Mendenhall.
  • We went to the Alaskan Brewing Company Depot in town and signed up for the Brewery Tour. For $15/person RT you were taken out to the Brewery, allowed to sample up to six 4-6 oz. samples of beer and have a presentation of the history of the brewery by one of the staff. We found it an enjoyable way to spend an hour there warm inside and away from the wind and rain.

Thanks so much for posting - it's very useful info! We're sailing on the 15th also and I can't wait to order escargots, love them! So we also will be staying in the WS for the first time (usually in balcony and mini-suites) so glad to hear you're not missing the balcony. I have a question about the free Internet. Were there any problems like the ship charging you at first? How many devices per room can be on at the same time? I will be on my iPad and my BF will be on his laptop for work so I'm hoping multiple devices won't be an issue.

Also, with the private photo session, can that be done anywhere on the boat?

Funny thing is that my BF is hoping for rain in Juneau because I have us booked on the helicopter glacier trek and while I'm very excited about it, he'd rather go the less expensive route. I was thinking if it's cancelled I'd like to do the whale watching and Mendenhall glacier excursion through princess but if they are waiting to tell people they are cancelled at gathering time, I guess I may not have the opportunity to switch to another princess excursion that easily.

Have a great time and thanks again!!

Escargot

• They were offering escargot off menu on the first Formal Night, at least at second Traditional Dining
  • DW and I declined as snails are not our preferred delivery system for butter and garlic.

Hot Chocolate

• Hot chocolate was available free of charge in the Horizon Court all day. They added a pump dispenser next to the coffee dispensers
  • Couldn’t tell if it was made with milk or water but if made with water they used a high milk solids mixer because it tasted very good to us.

Balcony Furniture

• From what I could tell, Aloha and Baja decks had the two old fixed back chairs and an old table.
  • Caribe deck had two old reclining back chairs, two new ottomans and a new table.
  • Dolphin deck had two new reclining back chairs, two new ottomans and a new table.
  • The new tables looked almost as large as the old tables but perhaps a little lower.
  • This is only current info as of today. They may replace more furniture as time passes.

What to do in Juneau if they cancel your helicopter or float plane tour?

• We hadn’t planned a formal tour but were planning to take the tram up Mount Roberts or the bus to Mendenhall.
  • The tram was disappearing into the mist so we cancelled the tram idea and with the rain and wind it didn’t look like a good day to hike to the waterfall by Mendenhall.
  • We went to the Alaskan Brewing Company Depot in town and signed up for the Brewery Tour. For $15/person RT you were taken out to the Brewery, allowed to sample up to six 4-6 oz. samples of beer and have a presentation of the history of the brewery by one of the staff. We found it an enjoyable way to spend an hour there warm inside and away from the wind and rain.

I had to laugh when you brought up Escargots. My DW and I kill so many snails around the house, that if we tried it they would get back at us. Escargots are the last food we would eat. I thought we were the only CC members that will not snails.

I have a question about the free Internet. How many devices per room can be on at the same time?

Each person in the suite will have their own password and thus each can be on at the same time as the other. using a different device.

I had to laugh when you brought up Escargots. My DW and I kill so many snails around the house, that if we tried it they would get back at us. Escargots are the last food we would eat. I thought we were the only CC members that will not snails.

You're definitely not the only ones. I'll join you in the no-snails group. In fact, not only do I not care for snails, I don't like butter in any way, shape, or form, so the garlic-butter portion of the equation grosses me out almost as much as the snails do!

OP, thanks for checking in. It sounds like a great trip so far. Enjoy your suite life!

Thanks so much for posting - it's very useful info! We're sailing on the 15th also and I can't wait to order escargots, love them! So we also will be staying in the WS for the first time (usually in balcony and mini-suites) so glad to hear you're not missing the balcony. I have a question about the free Internet. Were there any problems like the ship charging you at first? How many devices per room can be on at the same time? I will be on my iPad and my BF will be on his laptop for work so I'm hoping multiple devices won't be an issue. DW and I each have 150 free minutes and we haven’t used those yet. You can swipe your cruise card by the Passenger Services desk to see your current charges. If there are any charges, we were told to go to Passenger Services to have them reversed. Each of you should have a logon ID and both can be connected. Only one device at a time per logon ID however.

Also, with the private photo session, can that be done anywhere on the boat? The private photo session is in the Platinum Studio on Aft on the Sun Deck behind the Wedding Chapel by the Sun deck suites. Be aware that the photos taken there are black and white only. We will be looking at our photos tomorrow. If you want color photos you will need to stand in line with everyone else.

Funny thing is that my BF is hoping for rain in Juneau because I have us booked on the helicopter glacier trek and while I'm very excited about it, he'd rather go the less expensive route. I was thinking if it's cancelled I'd like to do the whale watching and Mendenhall glacier excursion through princess but if they are waiting to tell people they are cancelled at gathering time, I guess I may not have the opportunity to switch to another princess excursion that easily. There were tours available in town at the booths by the Mount Roberts Tram. Seemed to be a lot availability but we weren’t looking for a tour. We talked to some people who did a whale watching in Juneau and they saw a number of humpbacks and killer whales and seemed pleased with the tour.

Have a great time and thanks again!!

See above

• After rain and wind early in the morning, the sun was able to poke it's head through and push the rain away before noon. It was partly sunny for the rest of the day until after 6:00 PM when the wind picked up a bit and it became cloudy again.
  • All in all it was a pretty good day in Skagway for the train and other inland tours after a rainy forecast for all day. People we talked to in the evening appear to enjoy there day in Skagway very much.
  • We had done the train a couple of years ago and decided to do the Jewell Gardens and Glass Blowing Demonstration Tour. It was a different way to spend three days on a mostly sunny afternoon touring about four acres of gardens, watching a fascinating glassblowing demo "up close and personal" and having a nice spot of afternoon tea. Not the typical Alaska tour but an interesting change of pace.

• Not the best day in Glacier Bay. Air temp was 45 degrees and it was overcast.
  • Still many people were on deck taking photos as we spent about and hour at Marjorie Glacier. Couldn't get photos of the full expanse of the glacier though.
  • There apparently was some minor calving but I was down getting my spare battery at that time :( Well, I have photos and video from our last cruise here.
  • They opened up the deck above the bridge for viewing when we arrived at Marjorie.
  • Because of the overcast we really couldn't get to see Johns Hopkins Glacier from the distance we were allowed to go.
  • About time for potential whale sightings now as we leave Glacier Bay.
  • Some of the best views of the day IMHO were from our WS windows on Fiesta deck where we were nice and warm :)

[*]There have been some negative comments about Frank Castiglione and Michael Modzelewski but we need to disagree. They both seem to do their jobs well.

I'm glad to hear a nice comment about Frank Castiglone. He was our cruise director for 15 days on the Coral Princess. We thought he did an excellent job. He was at all the shows, even the ones he didn't host. He seemed very friendly and personable to us. As you said, Michael Modzelewiski was over dramatic in his style of talk. But he was very informative, and his love for Alaska definitely comes through.

Thank you so much for a wonderful review.

We are also on the 9/15 sailing and have a WS and are looking forward to it.

Thanks so much for posting - it's very useful info! We're sailing on the 15th also and I can't wait to order escargots, love them! So we also will be staying in the WS for the first time (usually in balcony and mini-suites) so glad to hear you're not missing the balcony. I have a question about the free Internet. Were there any problems like the ship charging you at first? How many devices per room can be on at the same time? I will be on my iPad and my BF will be on his laptop for work so I'm hoping multiple devices won't be an issue.

Come join on us our roll call if you have the chance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1384179&page=43

Is there any furniture in front of either/both windows in your window suite? Is there a chair or seating area in front of one/both windows?
There is a desk with a chair in front of one of the windows and a good place to sit and watch. The other window is open. You can look out the window sitting on the sofa or the chair. You can be very comfortable during scenic viewing.

• We did see whales as we sailed through Icy Straits after leaving Glacier Bay. I saw the dorsal fins of several killer whales before deciding it was too cold on deck and retreated back to our WS cabin where DW was.
  • Shortly after getting back to the cabin, a humpback passed less than 100 feet away from our windows.
  • A little later a pod of humpbacks were off our window somewhat farther away and a couple of the younger whales gave us a show breaching more than a half dozen times. All this was viewed from our WS windows. What a way to watch whales from the warmth of our cabin.

Thanks for posting.....are you staying in the WS for the second leg of your b2b? We will be boarding on the 15th....in a WS and your posts are really getting me excited about the cruise. Did you take advantage of the complimentary specialty restaurant on embarkation night?

Andi

Thanks for posting.....are you staying in the WS for the second leg of your b2b? We will be boarding on the 15th....in a WS and your posts are really getting me excited about the cruise. Did you take advantage of the complimentary specialty restaurant on embarkation night?

Andi

Yes, we will be in a WS on both cruises. We did Sabatini's the first cruise and will be doing the Crown Grill the next cruise.

Archived