Reality Check, We took a land vacation

cambio

My wife and I spent four days in Hawaii in Waikiki.

Lousy and slow service. Expensive mediocre meals. Crummy entertainment.

The only really good thing we did was take an sunset cruise.

At least we stocked up on Hawaiian shirts and dresses for our future cruises.

Waikiki is the problem there. It's just another big city to me. 8 nights at a beachfront condo in Maui was pure heaven, though. Saw hundreds of humpback whales, grilled fresh ahi for dinner in the evenings, attended the Old Lahaina Luau, toured the famous Road to Hana, drove around the north shore to see the blowhole, shopped in Lahaina and had a sunset dinner overlooking the ocean, watched the sun rise at 10,000 feet on top of Haleakala, snorkeled with the sea turtles...... if the flights weren't so long I'd actually take Maui over a cruise. And i LOVE to cruise. Honolulu wouldn't be where I'd spend a vacation. One night was enough.

I'm happily at the point where I no longer know without counting how many times I've been to Hawaii (6 or 7, I think).

It's too bad that you didn't have a good time, since it is such a wonderful place. However, given that your first comment is "Lousy and slow service", I can only assume that the things that you vacation for are much different than the things that I (and most people who go to Hawaii, I would think) vacation for.

Hawaii is all about the natural beauty and near-perfect weather (The range in average high temperature from winter to summer is only about 9F). If your main criterion in assessing a trip is bell service at a hotel, then I'd suggest that you might have missed the point.

When we travel, as much as possible we rent a house or condo and cook our own meals, so if the "service" is slow, it's only because I'm sitting on the lanai with a cold drink and forgot to check the stove. And I don't go on vacation to "be entertained" -- unless you count sunsets and waterfalls!

A cruise is nice, but Hawaii is Hawaii!

We rented a condo and stayed a week in Maui and could not have asked for a better land vacation. Like the previous poster, we did the Old Lahaina Luau and drove the Road the Hana... and in fact kept going and did the full "circle". We also did a pineapple plantation tour, a lavender farm and a sugar factory. It was great to plan our days and do what we wanted to do... whether it was snorkeling, sitting in the hot tub or shopping.

We love our cruises, but I have to say that was probably one of my best land vacations I have ever taken.

I have been to Oahu and stayed in Waikiki 3 times now, and I absolutely love it. The Hawaiians are NOT in a hurry...just like in alot of other vacationing spots. BUT I always have a fabulous time. We do sunset sails, drive the island, visit the North Shore, lots of fun things to do there. And we always had fantastic service and the food was awesome.. So I guess it just might be where you ate and where you stayed..and thats a shame because it truely paradise....

Mistake #1, you went to Waikiki. Hawaii is a place unlike any other. But Waikiki is tourist trap central. Having been to Hawaii probably 15 times, it's my first choice for vacation. Just started cruising, trying to branch out. My heart still belongs to Hawaii though. :D

Wow. I'm sorry you went all the way to Hawaii and that's all you got out of it. Oahu wasn't my favourite island of the ones we visited (Maui and Kauai are incredible) but the three days we spent there before our cruise were enough to capture my heart. There's so much more to see and do on that island besides just Waikiki. It's a shame you seemed to have missed it.

Like another poster said, Waikiki is just a tourist trap - you can definitely miss it! We visited one afternoon and had a drink out on the patio at the big pink hotel (Sheraton?) and watched the sun go down. Then we left. We rented the best little house in a small town on the east shore, walk out the back door, there's the hot tub, then there's the beach! Sat in hot tub and watched whales migrating, or enjoyed the full moon. Rented a car, went all over the island, went to Pearl Harbor, went to North Shore, wonderful little beaches everywhere, went snorkeling at Honomea Bay. Cooked most of our meals ourselves. That was all about 10 years ago.

Two years ago our son got married on the beach on Maui. We stayed in a condo right on the shore, can't remember the name of the town, but just across the road were great restaurants. Went to the laua at Old Lahaina, went snorkeling, saw lots of whales, just had a great time.

I hope you'll give Hawaii another try and get out of Honolulu! Yep, too bad the flight to get there is so long.

Yes I'm enjoying it right now:)........been living on Maui for 32 yrs....I'm off to Wailea to go golfing:p....hope to see you soon.....when I'm on a cruise people always say, what are you doing here....when the cruise ends, going homes not to bad:D....Maui No Ka Oi (The Best)

Yes I'm enjoying it right now:)........been living on Maui for 32 yrs....I'm off to Wailea to go golfing:p....hope to see you soon.....when I'm on a cruise people always say, what are you doing here....when the cruise ends, going homes not to bad:D....Maui No Ka Oi (The Best)

Oh, I'm jealous! Maui is the only place I've ever been where I felt like I could just up and move there. I'd never get my DH to leave the Appalachian mountains, though. There really is a magic to Maui.... you can feel spirit of the land and the people. So much more I want to see and do there one day. Even a little tsunami warning :eek: our last day where we got stuck on the side of Haleakala waiting to see if it was going to be a big wave didn't put a damper on things, as scary as it was. :)

While I have never been to Hawaii, if I went I must say my expectations would be similar to those of the OP. I would NEVER consider cooking and keeping house to be a vacation no matter how beautiful the surroundings, and yes, I'd like to have activity and entertainment options easily available. Oh, and on our last land vacation it felt like we were bleeding money - having to pay OPP for every little thing. I guess that's why cruising is such a good fit for many, including myself and the OP apparently.

Hey OP, did you consider cruising the Hawiian islands? That's how I plan to do it.

Waikiki was my least favorite place in Hawaii. I loved Kauai and the Big Island, but i must admit that I was bored once the sun went down. The activities at the Marriott (none) could not compare to what is available on a cruise.

On the other hand, we did a land vacation to Italy/Germany last year and I was so grateful that I could experience evenings there and I did not have to return to a ship each night. I loved eating the local cuisine and experiencing the local culture.

After not having been there for a vacation in the last 25 years, We went in 2009, the place is not the same and while we had a good time while there, we won't be going back any time soon. Its so different than it used to be and how I remember back in the 80's.

I will say we do land vacations every few years to break up the cruise ship vacations and yes, we do seem to get more bang for the buck on the cruise vacations.

I know the feeling. We spent 4 days at Breezes, Bahamas, and I just sat staring at the cruise ships coming in and leaving from Nassau wishing I was on one of them!! Going to Fort Lauderdale in 2 weeks for 4 days, and I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen!:D

So sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your land vacation to Waikiki. We were there for four days about a year and a half ago and loved it. I didn't think service was any worse than anywhere else, nor was it overly expensive--maybe a dollar or so more expensive per meal. I would definitely go back again.

There is SO much to see and do on Oahu outside of Waikiki, it is a shame you stuck to Waikiki! The restaurants there are very overpriced and over crowded. I would have recommended a lot of better options in central Oahu not too far from Waikiki. For sights, sounds, and experiences- there are amazing things on the windward coast, the leeward coast, the north shore... for history there is the pearl harbor region. It is a beautiful island packed with great restaurants and sights- beyond the confines of Waikiki. The outter islands are each unique and each offers beauty, culture, and adventure. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your visit here~ you are right, it is not cruise level service (this isn't a service inspired island- we are known for beauty and aloha! Not great service lol) and obviously my family enjoys cruising very much... but next time you come to the islands, maybe ask here for suggestions! :-)

I can't speak about Hawaii, but I hear what you are saying about a land vacation. We went on a family vacation for 8 days to St. Thomas at an all- inclusive. Needless to say we couldn't wait to get back to cruising. :)

So what did you do in those four days? Did you visit the Arizona Memorial, the Battleship Missouri, climb Diamond Head, snorkel in Hanauma, visit Waimea Bay or the Falls, spend a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center? How about the Punchbowl, Lyon Arboretum, North Shore beaches, the Blowhole, the Bishop museum. There's more but I think my point is Oahu offers much more than entertainment and food although even that's also there if you look for it. Ever had a loco moco...something uniquely Hawaiian.

A career in the military has made me intimately familiar with our 50th state and my wife and I still visit the islands frequently. Each island offers experiences well worth the visit, I just don't think you gave them a chance.

I love Hawaii ... ah, let me count the ways! Too bad you didn't enjoy yourself, but maybe it's just not for you. We've been maybe 14-15 times ... and actually usually go every year for 2 weeks for our anniversary. The only reason we are cruising a 6 night Carnival cruise in a few weeks that also coincides with a Marriott Vacation Club Exchange in FL the following week this year, is that we had alot of family stuff going on in January when I usually book our anniversary trip and when I finally got to it, there was no availability. We've been to all the islands ... and they all have a different flavor and style ... but they ALL have 'Aloha'! We love to cruise, but it's a whole 'different' type vacation. On Oahu we usually stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village ... and yes, it's Waikiki, but also a 'world of it's own'. However, that being said, we walk the beach to restaurants for breakfast and dinner. You need to know where to go there to eat and there are wonderful and reasonable places, not everything is a tourist trap. The East side is beautiful ... the North Shore ... nothing like it ... Pearl Harbor ... the mountains, the trails, Diamond Head ... I could go on and on. Oahu gets a bad rap because of Honolulu ... but it's still a 'special' place. Where else can you have big business, shopping, dining and surfing all at the same time? Right now Maui is my 'favorite' island, but that always changes ... Hana, Iao Valley, Cowboy Country, even a winery! The West End drive ... if you think the road to Hana is something, try that one! Captain Ray's Sunset Cruise out of Lahina is awesome ... we'll miss that this year! The Big Island is awesome .... quiet at night to be sure, but what a place! Kauai ... truly a island paradise!! Even Molokai is something to experience ... first poster, I wouldn't try that one if you didn't like Oahu ... everything shuts down by 9:00 p.m.!! We rented a private condo there and it was wonderful! We've only day tripped to Lanai, but it's beautiful there as well. And no matter what island ... there's not a sunset like in Hawaii!! :D Personally, I would never cruise there ... you just don't have the time to really do the islands justice in my opinion. So much to do and see and experience .... it's my favorite place in the world and hopefully next year for our anniversary we'll be back. But, all that being said, we're thinking the cruise on the Freedom and our week at Hutchinson's Island will be not too hard to take either and we're looking forward to it!! Like I said, Hawaii and cruising are totally different ... at least the way we do it. In Hawaii, we rent a jeep ... we explore, go and do!! One of the best things is stopping at a 'Mom and Pop' place and getting a fresh sandwich made up and driving till you find a 'beach you like' and stopping for a picnic and beach break. Sometimes we leave the resort first thing in the morning and don't get back till dark ... it's whatever happens and we love it. Now cruising ... well, that's more formal and pampered type stuff, I think ... I really can't compare the two. So, sorry you didn't like it :(... we can't think of anything more perfect than a Hawaiian vacation and a cruise once a year! :)

Archived