Post-cruise baggage handling

luxurysailer

On our last HAL cruise one year ago we opted for the service in which our baggage was picked up on the last night, and we didn't see it again until we reached our final destination. Can't remember what the service is called.

We really liked this service and would like to use it when available, which gets me to the point of this thread. Is this service available when disembarking in foreign ports or only when the disembarkation is in a U.S. port?

On our last HAL cruise one year ago we opted for the service in which our baggage was picked up on the last night, and we didn't see it again until we reached our final destination. Can't remember what the service is called.

We really liked this service and would like to use it when available, which gets me to the point of this thread. Is this service available when disembarking in foreign ports or only when the disembarkation is in a U.S. port?

I think you are talking about the special express delivery (I can't remember the right words) for around $19 that takes your bags straight to the airport?

This is only available with select flights. But in all honesty, it is not a big deal to pick up your baags as the pier, go through customs and head to your airport and/or hotel. Some of us prefer it as we can stuff some stuff from the last night and eliminate a lot of carry on:D

It's called "Luggage Direct" and as mentioned it depends on your departure port and airline. It is a wonderful service and the last time we used it the cost was $19pp.

If you were more specific we may be able to help.

Hope this helps

This is from the Holland America website: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code#

Luggage Direct offers you the opportunity to receive your airline boarding passes, and check your luggage in to your flight while still onboard your Holland America Line ship. Our TSA certified partners will take your luggage directly from the ship and deliver it to your outbound aircraft. You will then claim your luggage when you arrive at your final airport destination.

This disembarkation option allows you to enjoy your final hours in the port at your leisure. Imagine your options: 1) enjoy the sights of the city or 2) stand in a never-ending line at the airport--the choice is yours with Luggage Direct.

Luggage Direct is available in selected departure ports and for selected ships, detailed below. Once onboard, a letter explaining the eligibility requirements will be sent to you.

Holland America Line is offering Luggage Direct in:

• Fort Lauderdale
  • Seattle
  • Tampa

On the following fourteen (14) vessels only:

• ms Amsterdam
  • ms Eurodam
  • ms Oosterdam
  • ms Maasdam
  • ms Nieuw Amsterdam
  • ms Noordam
  • ms Ryndam
  • ms Rotterdam
  • ms Statendam
  • ms Veendam
  • ms Volendam
  • ms Westerdam
  • ms Zaandam
  • ms Zuiderdam

Please note the following general information about Luggage Direct:

• Cost is $19.95 per person at all ports
  • Airline assessed baggage fees will be applied to guests' onboard account - fees vary by airline and all pricing is communicated directly from the airline to our partner company, BAGS, Inc. These fees are collected onboard and are then distributed to the airlines.
  • Guests are able to check no more than 2 pieces of luggage per person.
  • Upgrade Requests, Seat Assignment Requests, and Flight Changes cannot be accommodated onboard.
  • There are restrictions established for each homeport city.
  • Restrictions include: participating airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship requirements.
  • All flights must be Domestic (inclusive of U.S. Territories).

Those guests not participating in Luggage Direct should expect the following: Upon disembarking the ship, all luggage will be organized in the disembarkation hall by color/number order. Once you have been invited to exit the ship please come to find your color/number group and claim your bags. There will be a limited number of porters available, but individual carts will not be available. Please exit the building with all family members and luggage, as re-entry is not permitted.

Apologies to the OP if this seems like thread hijacking, but I would very much appreciate answers to the following questions, if anyone knows:

Is Virgin America a Luggage Direct participating airline in FLL?

Will Luggage Direct accept bags for a flight departing late in the day?

Is there any kind of luggage storage service available in or near the port in FLL? (Assuming, of course, that one is not spending the night in a hotel.)

We have friends meeting us to spend the day in FLL together when we disembark, and our flight does not depart until around 5pm. I suppose we can stash the luggage in our friends' car if we have to, but I would rather leave it somewhere more secure. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Apologies to the OP if this seems like thread hijacking, but I would very much appreciate answers to the following questions, if anyone knows:

Is there any kind of luggage storage service available in or near the port in FLL? (Assuming, of course, that one is not spending the night in a hotel.)

We have friends meeting us to spend the day in FLL together when we disembark, and our flight does not depart until around 5pm. I suppose we can stash the luggage in our friends' car if we have to, but I would rather leave it somewhere more secure. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

We love luggage direct it makes disembarking a pleasure. Can't help you with the airline, but I can tell you we had a flight leaving around 5:30 and had no problem using them. If you use them make sure you look at all the info they put in your mail box as you have to sign up in advance. We missed it once and kicked ourselves.

These were the airlines that used Luggage Direct last year -- don't know what it will be this year as the ships have not returned to the Caribbean yet.

Luggage Direct:

Flight after 11:30 AM for Ft Lauderdal

Flight after 2 PM for Miami

You must disembark and proceed to the terminal between 7:30 and 8:15 AM.

AirTran Airways

American

Delta

United

Jet Blue

Continental

US Airways

Southwest

Seeing HAL is now outsourcing Shore Operations in Port Everglades, is there a chance this luggage direct program could be scrapped or changed? The Shore Ops team that ran the operation there for years were outstanding but they are no longer there.

Don't hold your breath, smaller carriers like Virgin tend to avoid participating in this program.
We used Luggage Direct in Seattle in 2010 on Alaska Airlines. So, they have partnered with small regional airlines in the past. I would think Virgin is much bigger than Alaska Air, but I really don't know. Maybe its because Seattle is Alaska Air's biggest hub. As for Virgin, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

We used Luggage Direct in Seattle in 2010 on Alaska Airlines. So, they have partnered with small regional airlines in the past. I would think Virgin is much bigger than Alaska Air, but I really don't know. Maybe its because Seattle is Alaska Air's biggest hub. As for Virgin, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Slightly off topic. VA does not have the brightest financial picture. It would not be surprising to see them go under or be purchased by another airline.

Alaska is hardly a regional airline any longer. They fly coast to coast...

These were the airlines that used Luggage Direct last year -- don't know what it will be this year as the ships have not returned to the Caribbean yet.

Luggage Direct:

Flight after 11:30 AM for Ft Lauderdal

Flight after 2 PM for Miami

You must disembark and proceed to the terminal between 7:30 and 8:15 AM.

AirTran Airways

American

Delta

United

Jet Blue

Continental

US Airways

Southwest

We will be flying out of Miami airport on Jan 7, 2013 (off the Noordam) and have been told by our TA that Miami airport is no longer in the program only FLL. Does anyone know for sure if this is true?

Archived