Qantas Carryon Personal Item Question

RMLLEL

Hi! Does anyone know how large a personal item can be taken on Qantas? I have one carryon piece of luggage that is less than the 45" allowed. It will be about 15 pounds. I also would like to bring a personal item; a shoulder bag that is 14"wide x 10"high x 5"deep. Does anyone know if this is too big a bag to bring for a personal item? We are flying from Dallas to Brisbane to Auckland on Qantas.

Thank you

Is there some reason you would believe that you get TWO items? The link provided above specifically says one bag.

The "one plus a personal item" is very much a creature of USA airlines. Many (or most) overseas carriers have no such distinction and you get one bag - period.

I was told my Qantas, on the phone, we are allowed to take one carryon and one personal item. I'm not trying to take anything extra or anything I'm not supposed to, just wanted to know if someone who flies Qantas knew how big a personal item (something like a large pocketbook) could be.

Thanks.

I was told my Qantas, on the phone, we are allowed to take one carryon and one personal item. I'm not trying to take anything extra or anything I'm not supposed to, just wanted to know if someone who flies Qantas knew how big a personal item (something like a large pocketbook) could be.

Thanks.

For dimensions on a "personal item," the general rule of thumb is that it should fit under the seat.

Thanks.

When there is a phone agent saying one thing versus what a published website says, be prepared to have the printed "letter of the law" be applied to your situation. How much weight will "an unnamed agent on the phone told me...." carry?

Your wager.

When there is a phone agent saying one thing versus what a published website says, be prepared to have the printed "letter of the law" be applied to your situation. How much weight will "an unnamed agent on the phone told me...." carry?

Your wager.

and at the very least, the OP could have ASKED the AGENT when they had him/her on the phone!

In economy on Qantas a personal item can be the size of a medium purse, a small camera bag or a shaving kit of the unfold and hang up on a hook sort known in Qantas land as a 'wash bag'.

When dealing with any of the non-USA airlines be sure you have their defination of terms on items.

I have a Red Oxx brand tri-fold shaving kit that qualifies on Qantas as a personal item.

I am always prepared to put my personal item into my carry on bag in case the airline requires that I do so. I have had this happen on a variety of airlines including 2 or 3 in the USA.

I carry my Rx meds and etc along with my tooth brush in my Red Oxx bag. The tooth paste and such go into my 3-1-1 plastic zippy bag and does fit into my Red Oxx bag after I board the airplane.

Archived