why does Carnival have such a bad "partying" reputation

cruisingreena

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

Reputations can be hard to shake. Carnival is perhaps a bit more focused on bars and drinking, but not that much more so than the other mass market lines. I've never encountered an excess of intoxicated people. I do think it's a livelier group in general - that's why we like Carnival.

Edited by emelvee

Yeah.. I hear it all the time as well. *sigh*

I had to "drag" a friend of mine who had the same "I heard" ideas and she was SHOCKED. Ummmm family cruise.. wha?? A few tipsy people but no drunks all over the place.. HUH?? Hey.. the food is great.. Well I guess I heard wrong. Well DUH.

But to be honest.. Cruises four days and under on ANY line can bring out the party crowd in force. The one I took on Royal was a lot of fun but I don't want to see the party till you reboot by the pool ever ever again.

For those you like to party, Carnival has a "GOOD PARTYING" reputation, and for those who don't like to party, Carnival has a "BAD PARTYING" reputation. For cruisers who "know", any cruise can be a party or a romantic quiet vacation, whatever you want.

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

That's the bottom line right there. They have never cruised on Carnival before and are going by what their hair dresser's cousin's pool boys aunt's sister's ex-boyfirend's third cousin told them that happened on the Mardi Gras back in the 80's.

For the most part on anything longer than 5 days, they are Fun Ships, not Party Ships.

Out of five Carnival cruises, we've only seen one guy that had too much to drink and he wasn't real drunk, just kind of obnoxious.

Have you ever cruised out of Galveston or cruised on a 3 or 4 day out of Florida ?? Nothing more to be said.

I will give you an example of Carnival's partying atmosphere. In 2006 we planned a family cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston with my DD and her DH. Shortly before the final payment her husband's schedule changed and he couldn't go so my best friend said she would go instead. My daughter, 27, has not been out of the house in 5 years with 2 small babies, this was going to be a second honeymoon for her and her husband. First night out she hit the red bull and vodka. I didn't let her out of my sight because she is very trusting. When it came time to go home to our cabins my DH came up to the club we were at and I said, she's yours now. She had a giggling fit in the atrium and passed out. He picked her up, put her over his shoulder and carried her to her cabin. The next day the sun glasses never came off of her face and alcohol never passed her lips for the next 6 days. I also told her every chance I got, People like you give Carnival a bad reputation. I laughed of course. But, all in all, we have never seen any really obnoxious people or drunks. Maybe it's the time that we cruise or something and I hate it when people say that.

That's the bottom line right there. They have never cruised on Carnival before and are going by what their hair dresser's cousin's pool boys aunt's sister's ex-boyfirend's third cousin told them that happened on the Mardi Gras back in the 80's.

For the most part on anything longer than 5 days, they are Fun Ships, not Party Ships.

Out of five Carnival cruises, we've only seen one guy that had too much to drink and he wasn't real drunk, just kind of obnoxious.

Are you sure he was drunk? Maybe he was just obnoxious!

I've cruised on several lines, including Carnival. I was on C for a 4 day, a 7 day, and a 14 day cruise. In all instances I saw many more people having MUCH too good a time (drunk, obnoxious, loud, boisterous, in-your-face) on Carnival than on any of the other lines I have been on. And then all the silly contests, "hairy chests" among them.

Carnival caters to the younger set -- more likely to be a bit out of control, perhaps.

There were also many more children on C, and parents who just seemed to think it was ok to let their kids roam the ship unattended. I don't care how good the kids are at home...you put a pack of kids together without adult supervision, and things can quickly get out of hand.

I also really dislike C's decor -- loud, brassy, garish to my tastes. It seems to me that when the atmosphere is "loud", the people tend to be less in control. The glitter, flashing lights, naked statues, seem to bring out the worst in them.

The C crew were outstanding, the food good, the service exemplary...but I wouldn't cruise on C again unless it had an itinerary that was unique and totally unavailable on any other line (and they change their decorator...which I have learned they have, since my last C cruise in the early 2000's...)

Its all about perception. The hairy chest contests, the mixology contests, the poolside partys, the booze smuggling, that everyone can read about on the net and see on youtube all contribute to the perception of a party cruise line. To Carnival cruisers, its just entertainment.

CCL's party ship reputation is a throw back to its early days and it seems that they can't shake it. We cruise CCL all the time and the party rep is yesterday's news. Yes you can find a party if you are looking for one but you can also find many quiet spots to read of just relax.

Ignore the rep and have a great cruise--we always do!

We went on our first Carnival cruise in May on the Elation out of New Orleans and I really was expecting more of a party ship but I did not see anyone drunk. My 23 daughter even made a comments that is was very laid back and quiet.

I've cruised on several lines, including Carnival. I was on C for a 4 day, a 7 day, and a 14 day cruise. In all instances I saw many more people having MUCH too good a time (drunk, obnoxious, loud, boisterous, in-your-face) on Carnival than on any of the other lines I have been on. And then all the silly contests, "hairy chests" among them.

Carnival caters to the younger set -- more likely to be a bit out of control, perhaps.

There were also many more children on C, and parents who just seemed to think it was ok to let their kids roam the ship unattended. I don't care how good the kids are at home...you put a pack of kids together without adult supervision, and things can quickly get out of hand.

I also really dislike C's decor -- loud, brassy, garish to my tastes. It seems to me that when the atmosphere is "loud", the people tend to be less in control. The glitter, flashing lights, naked statues, seem to bring out the worst in them.

The C crew were outstanding, the food good, the service exemplary...but I wouldn't cruise on C again unless it had an itinerary that was unique and totally unavailable on any other line (and they change their decorator...which I have learned they have, since my last C cruise in the early 2000's...)

It totally depends on the time of year that you sail.....we have NEVER been on a CCL cruise filled with lots of unruly, unwatched kids....but then we don't sail during school vacation time. I think your sentiments are slanted.

Moreover, there was NO difference in demographics on RCI....same "kind" of passenger as CCL. If you didn't notice the ship as being different you wouldn't have known what line you were sailing.

We truly enjoy CCL BECAUSE there is a festive FUN atmosphere prevailing. We are in our upper 50's, don't travel with children and that is what comprises most of our ships population when we go.....like I said, "timing is everything".....and will perhaps change your opinion of an entire fleet of ships.

*raises hand in shame* :(

I'm guilty of this.

We sailed every cruise line but Carnival because we heard they were mostly all big party boats. :confused:

HOWEVER, our friends want to "try out" cruising, and the only one that fit our budget with a beautiful itinerary was the Carnival 5-day'er. Hubby and I are giving it a shot because we're trying to be fair, would like to try a new line, and the price couldn't be beat. While we are the youngest ones on the boat with Princess and one of few non-kid famlies on RCCL and Disney, we think Carnival may be right up our alley as far as entertainment (though we aren't really the get wasted/gamble all day type). So dare I say I'm actually excited to try Carnival now. We chose January in hopes that kids and college folks will be back in school and the rowdy crowd won't be too extreme. :)

Edited by DeloreanGirl

*raises hand in shame* :(

I'm guilty of this.

We sailed every cruise line but Carnival because we heard they were mostly all big party boats. :confused:

HOWEVER, our friends want to "try out" cruising, and the only one that fit our budget with a beautiful itinerary was the Carnival 5-day'er. Hubby and I are giving it a shot because we're trying to be fair, would like to try a new line, and the price couldn't be beat. While we are the youngest ones on the boat with Princess and one of few non-kid famlies on RCCL and Disney, we think Carnival may be right up our alley as far as entertainment (though we aren't really the get wasted/gamble all day type). So dare I say I'm actually excited to try Carnival now. We chose January in hopes that kids and college folks will be back in school and the rowdy crowd won't be too extreme. :)

And with that great attitude I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

So you're basing your slanted view on cruises from 10+ years ago? I've also heard your favorite, HAL, is quite a boring cruise for the scooter set, but would I try one if it was the right cruise, of course!

I'd rather be on a party boat than a boat full of stuffy, pretentious people. Lol. Seriously, those that judge Carnival negatively for it's fun atmosphere must be tons of fun.

And let me clarify, I'm not a big party girl - I'm 35, married with two small children, never was a big drinker though I did have some fun back in college. I suppose I could be stuck up if I wanted to but it seems like a real waste of time and energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever cruised out of Galveston or cruised on a 3 or 4 day out of Florida ?? Nothing more to be said.

What does this mean? I've cruised out of Galveston 4 times, and 3 of those were 4 day cruises, and haven't noticed excessive partying. I'm a fairly boring 63 year old, and can't stand drunks. I feel quite comfortable on Carnival. The only drunk I saw on my last cruise on the Magic in February was my brother-in-law!! That was one night and his wife sent him to his cabin pretty quickly. I wouldn't cruise Carnival if it really lived up to its hard-partying reputation!

We had a M-F four day first week in February that has been one of our wildest to date. Even wilder than the 3-day in July.

Carnival earned the party rep on it's first cruise when the Mardi Gras got stuck on a sandbar and opened up the bars. One big party for the rest of the cruise.

Edited by SadieN

I don't get it either. We've been on a few Carnival cruises and have NEVER experienced this "excessive partying" that people refer to. Sure you may see an "excessive" partier here and there, but I've also seen that on RC and Celebrity.

I'd also bet there's been a partier or two on Hal or any of the other 'uppity' lines. ;)

I would ask whoever says this IF they have ever been on a Carnival cruise. And if so, WHEN? Most of the time, they have not even sailed Carnival. It's their loss. :D

I will give you an example of Carnival's partying atmosphere. In 2006 we planned a family cruise on the Conquest out of Galveston with my DD and her DH. Shortly before the final payment her husband's schedule changed and he couldn't go so my best friend said she would go instead. My daughter, 27, has not been out of the house in 5 years with 2 small babies, this was going to be a second honeymoon for her and her husband. First night out she hit the red bull and vodka. I didn't let her out of my sight because she is very trusting. When it came time to go home to our cabins my DH came up to the club we were at and I said, she's yours now. She had a giggling fit in the atrium and passed out. He picked her up, put her over his shoulder and carried her to her cabin. The next day the sun glasses never came off of her face and alcohol never passed her lips for the next 6 days. I also told her every chance I got, People like you give Carnival a bad reputation. I laughed of course. But, all in all, we have never seen any really obnoxious people or drunks. Maybe it's the time that we cruise or something and I hate it when people say that.

Your daughter is a perfect example of the drunks on Carnival! I'm sure the vision of your husband carrying her over his shoulder didn't help the drunk reputation!

I was on one of Imagination's 4-day cruises. The age range onboard was mostly 25 to 55. There was a noticeable amount of partying, but nothing crazy or disrespectful: just a lot dancing (PG to PG-13), sitting around in hot tubs, and walking in zig-zags, although that could have been due to choppy seas. In other words, just enough to make the Fun Ship a fun ship without stepping on any toes.

The one place where there WAS a lot of partying was in Cozumel, where the ship stayed until 10:00 PM (9:00 PM local time). Now that's where it resembled Carnival of the old. People were doing limbos and conga lines, pole dancing, drinking giant frozen mararitas, singing off-key, and pier-running back to the ship. What was interesting is that many older and/or non-party people seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere as well.