"Live" (I hope) from Radiance - Sailing to Hawaii

PCWalton1

Here's another Aussie saying a big thank you for your wonderful report and great photos. Every day I call my hubby to the computer with, "Come and see what Bill and Marie are up to today." Your generosity in sharing your travels with us is very much appreciated. It's so good to see you are having a wonderful time....Cheers ......and happy days, Kay

Here's another Aussie saying a big thank you for your wonderful report and great photos. Every day I call my hubby to the computer with, "Come and see what Bill and Marie are up to today." Your generosity in sharing your travels with us is very much appreciated. It's so good to see you are having a wonderful time....Cheers ......and happy days, Kay

Thanks Kay, I appreciate your kind words. Glad to have the chance to brighten your day. :)

Bill

Today our day starts with our stop at Kailua Kona, Hawaii. Unlike our last stop on the Big Island, we anchored out and will be riding tender boats back and forth to the shore. We did not rush around this morning as we had no plans for the port other than to walk around town for a few hours.

8010784365_29c4a1e5b0_c.jpg

We grabbed breakfast in Windjammer then headed down to deck 5 to get tender tickets. Cruise director Bobby had just announced they were still working at getting the excursion people off the ship (paying people get priority) and that they were now going to take people with tender ticket #5. We walked up to the girl giving out the tickets and they were for tender #5. So much for long waits, from the time we grabbed tickets to the time we were ashore was twenty minutes.

8010789752_055d1a6cea_c.jpg

8010789618_c5aaed9e36_c.jpg

8010784055_455179f207_c.jpg

8010783955_30bfb8a2f6_c.jpg

8010783855_d867cd1654_c.jpg

Once ashore we just did a leasurely stroll down Alii Drive along the water. Stopped in a lot of shops including every ABC store (Marie can’t pass them up). We did a walk through the famers’ market, I bought a few gifts for friends back home and Marie bought some rambutan, they are similar in taste to a lychee. We found a coffee shop where I got a nice Americano and figured it was a good time to eat the rambutans since we can’t take them back.

8010783659_ea9f11c4f7_c.jpg

8010783471_6744701aaa_c.jpg

8010788758_f78aaf9b1d_c.jpg

8010783217_5b2d97e256_c.jpg

8010788414_c2d5021625_c.jpg

8010788314_0a12edc329_c.jpg

We continued walking down Alii Drive to the Royal Kona Resort which is the end of the shops then headed back. One the way back I picked up an Ironman teeshirt (dreaming) and Marie a blouse and some sarongs.

8010780617_29a076e2c5_c.jpg

8010780491_d4b64d10c4_z.jpg

Fresh bananas

8010780389_e724bca9f6_c.jpg

Great place to have dinner at sunset. I don't remember what the food was like but the view of the sun setting into the water was breathtaking.

8010785798_cb923a77af_c.jpg

8010785708_043941ef4e_c.jpg

8010780061_46c1219e19_c.jpg

I may be wrong but I think these are candlenuts.

We continued past the dock to make a stop at the Kona Brewing Company. The next tour was not till 3pm so we just got a table at the pub and ordered lunch. Marie had some fish tacos, I had a Cubano sandwich made with Kalua pork and a pint of Castaway IPA to wash it down. Now that was a little piece of heaven.

8010784782_96f288740f_c.jpg

8010779177_52f8e7742a_c.jpg

8010779063_3ecf0b40d2_c.jpg

8010784530_9c65bd37b2_z.jpg

Castaway IPA beer and a Cubano sandwich made with Kalua pork. Had already started on it when I remembered to take a picture.

8010778857_e1d9e05df1_z.jpg

Marie's fish tacos and a Diet Coke (designated driver)

8010778767_cb80b4b495_c.jpg

Hawaiian filling station

8010778693_2799384b1c_c.jpg

After that we headed back to the ship and made a beeline to the pool figuring it would not be crowded. We were right and Marie finally got some time in the pool while I enjoyed my kindle. Now back at the room where I am finishing up these notes while Marie naps. Tonight will be dinner at the Samba Grill, I hear its fun.

8010784196_3197f91233_c.jpg

8010784088_6dabfa562f_c.jpg

8010778435_8028a077e2_c.jpg

8010784519_18c02fe19d_c.jpg

Love the photos from Volcanoes National Park. We spent the night at Volcano House in 1982. I don't remember the lava tube (we would have loved that), but remember the steam rising at night. We have got to get back there!

Not sure if I would have got a good night's sleep there. Yeah I know nothing happens, but what if it did the night I was there. :eek::D

Love the photos from Volcanoes National Park. We spent the night at Volcano House in 1982. I don't remember the lava tube (we would have loved that), but remember the steam rising at night. We have got to get back there!

Volcano House closed in 2010 Joan. :(http://www.volcanohousehotel.com/

And the very last resident Jack Thompson in the Royal Gardens housing tract had to move out in March of this year, because of an active flow: http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/2012/03/jack-thompson-walks-his-lava-covered.html

On top spending your precious vacation time providing excellent, funny commentary and gorgeous photos, we readers also expect an education: You said ambutan are similar in taste to a lychee, but what's a lychee!!?? (and what's an ambutan?) No, I don't get out much....:o

Try and get some cat pics for Middle Aged Drama Queen, too; I seem to recall some of those in her review as well, if my terrible memory actually "serves"...

Lastly, what camera are you using to get those awesome shots? BTW - I, too, love the pic of the flower that looks like a spider! Throw it in again anytime you want!

On top spending your precious vacation time providing excellent, funny commentary and gorgeous photos, we readers also expect an education: You said ambutan are similar in taste to a lychee, but what's a lychee!!?? (and what's an ambutan?) No, I don't get out much....:o

Try and get some cat pics for Middle Aged Drama Queen, too; I seem to recall some of those in her review as well, if my terrible memory actually "serves"...

Lastly, what camera are you using to get those awesome shots? BTW - I, too, love the pic of the flower that looks like a spider! Throw it in again anytime you want!

First it is rambutan and like a lychee it is a tropical fruit. Here is some info (be glad Marie is taking her time getting ready for Samba Grill tonight :p)

http://knowandenjoytropicalfruit.com/chapters/lychee-rambutan-longan/

Most of the pictures is with a Nikon D3000 with a Tamron 18-270mm lens. It allows me to look like I know what I am doing. :D

I am enjoying following your cruise immensely. Our first trip to Hawaii will be this coming January. Thank you for posting all of this !

Do you happen to know the name of this little bird you photographed? - hopefully he will show in this message. He was the single gray bird with a puffin shaped head. In your post he was between the yellow birds and the dogs. I tried to use Google image search but nothing simular came up.

8010783135_9527bd8a10_c.jpg

So are you taking a cruise down under? I would love to go on one of them.

Yes we are doing the 14-night New Zealand tour. Normally i could not do a tour down under, because the airfare from Germany is really expensive.

But I am going to do a semester abroad in New Zealand, so it is a great chance for my girlfriend and me to do the tour :)

And when I see your pictures I am getting even more excited! :) We are also staying in an aft cabin, therefore I love your balcony pictures! :D