just returned, faster to the fun, and Platinum too

cruzn buckeye

Buckeye, I assume your daughter didn't have any problem in the "grandfathering" process? You stated that it was her 10th cruise. My wife and I have 9 and 10th was booked long before the changes. Our luggage tags say VIP and boarding info say Platinum. I think we are at 66 days. I had heard several people at the same point were having trouble with Carnival's system not recognizing them as Platinum.

It just seemed odd to me that our friends who we arrived with, boarded the ship long before we did, and that the person at the top of the ramp, let them go to the front of the line, (which they did pay for) but sent us to the end even after showing him our Platinum cards and telling him they we are supposed to get priority embarkation with the cards.

And that is where my concerns are:confused:

That's great to hear. We are doing the FTTF for our Liberty cruise next April. I think it's not that FTTF's are boarding before the VIPS, which I don't think that they are. It's just the timing of how many VIPS show up to board at the same time. I sure many VIPS were all ready on board. You are talking 100's of VIP's versus 20 or 30 FTTF's.

I'm certain that Carnival is doing their best to keep lines moving. They aren't going to wait until all VIPS show up before they start boarding FTTF's and others - that just would not make logistical sense.

And you know the numbers in each group how?

And you know the numbers in each group how?

We purchased the FTTF tickets for our upcoming Liberty cruise. There were only 15 tickets offered to begin with and when those were sold it was never reloaded with more. So, 15 cabins with 2 - 4 people in each cabin makes 30 - 60 people at the very most using this program, at least for our cruise.

Buckeye, I assume your daughter didn't have any problem in the "grandfathering" process? You stated that it was her 10th cruise. My wife and I have 9 and 10th was booked long before the changes. Our luggage tags say VIP and boarding info say Platinum. I think we are at 66 days. I had heard several people at the same point were having trouble with Carnival's system not recognizing them as Platinum.

I have read about others having problems too. She was fine though. When we looked at our cruise online it showed me as Platinum and her as Gold. When I printed luggage tags, they both showed Platinum. But always did because I have been Platinum since the program begun and all in the cabin will show Platinum VIP. So, I was concerned that she may not get her Platinum card. Her sail and sign card was Platinum... all was well...

You may want to print off your cruise history page, just in case. I would also print out the page on Carnival that talks about getting Platinum status as long as you take your 10th cruise before dec. 2013.

Exactly what Carnival said would NOT happen! I have begun to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

What about luggage and having your cabin ready? Did both you and your friends get your luggage and cabin early?

We were able to go straight to our cabins. Our luggage arrived very shortly after.

We just debarked yesterday from the Liberty and would like to share our experience for those wishing to purchase the faster to the fun...

I say do it!

My daughter and myself are Platinum, her on her 10th cruise, and it was my 24th. We have three friends that cruised with us that are not Platinum. As soon as I heard about the faster to the fun pass, I called them and told them to purchase it. Personally, while I did not like the fact that others could just buy into perks that we have earned, over many cruises with Carnival, I just thought ... well if others are doing it, why not them??

Our plane was scheduled to arrive at Miami at 10:40. We arrived early... 10:20. We shared a cab/van for the ride to the port, with a quick 10 minute stop to purchase cranberry juice to mix with the vodka that we ordered from room service... that worked out very nice by the way.

After arriving to the port, our luggage and their luggage was put in a different area that those that are not Platinum, Diamond or faster to the fun. We went together through the security line. Our friends asked us to wait for them after getting checked in, because they wanted our embarkation pic taken together. We went to the front of the line where they were taking faster to the fun and vip guests, including Platinum.

The security line for us was very fast, then they sent our friends to the faster to the fun line, and us to the Platinum vip lounge. Our friends were boarding immediately, us... not so much. Our friends kept calling us to find out where we were... well... we were sitting the the lounge waiting for them to call our names. Finally, when we get done getting checked in, and standing in another short line, for our sail and sign money to be applied, we headed to the line for boarding. Got to the top of the ramp, sorry we were told... you have to go to the back of the line ( a very long line by the way ). I showed him my card and told him we were supposed to get priority embarkation,... he said go to the back of the line... so we did.... Our friends had already boarded and eaten their lunch at the buffet by the time we got onboard... and were waiting for us... It actually took us almost 55 minutes from the time we arrived at the ship to the time we boarded. While it doesnt seem like much, we were told that the security cameras show us boarding 28 minutes after our friends... yes, they have good security when they can actually go in and look at the time you boarded by the camera.

Anyway, faster to the fun worked great for them! Onboard within 27 minutes after arriving.... I was happy for them... but we would have been onboard faster if we had paid for that instead of with our Platinum card. We were told at the guest service desk that the idea of Platinum boarding is so you can sit and not wait in the line. I always thought it was to get you on faster. I would have preferred that they put us all through the same line if this is how it is. Instead, we were sitting in a room with about 20 others, with empty lemonade pitchers. Oh well... to those thinking of booking faster to the fun, do it! It worked out great for our friends...:D

This is confusing to me. I thought the FTTF folk were only to be allowed to board after the VIP were.

At least, that's what we were assured.

I knew this would happen al a cart for everyone. No pay no play Yea Carnival!!! Still the cheapest cruise on the market. :) Very classy, and upscale, way to treat repete customers!! You get what you pay for!!! Cheap Cruise = Cheap Cruise.....meat loaf anyone no how about mac & cheese???? Class real class....

This is confusing to me. I thought the FTTF folk were only to be allowed to board after the VIP were.

At least, that's what we were assured.

That only makes sense for folks that arrive before boarding begins. Once boarding has started they can't stop boarding just because a VIP entered the terminal. Once boarding has started folks board as soon as they are done with the check in process, and in this case it sounds like the FTTF check in was faster than the VIP check in.

That only makes sense for folks that arrive before boarding begins. Once boarding has started they can't stop boarding just because a VIP entered the terminal. Once boarding has started folks board as soon as they are done with the check in process, and in this case it sounds like the FTTF check in was faster than the VIP check in.

Which I want to know why? What is different about the two processes? If VIP already boarded, why would a late VIP even be seated?

We were also on this cruise and purchased FTTF. We were at the Port before embarking began, and the VIPs that were there boarded before we did. It must have just been due to the time you arrived, but even still you should have been able to board.

We did not get a zone card. I was told that boarding begun just a short time before we got onboard. We were sent to the vip lounge. Faster to the fun was sent to their line, and the other passengers were in their long winding line, getting checked in. I did not expect to be put ahead of anyone already there, that would be silly. It just seemed odd to me that our friends who we arrived with, boarded the ship long before we did, and that the person at the top of the ramp, let them go to the front of the line, (which they did pay for) but sent us to the end even after showing him our Platinum cards and telling him they we are supposed to get priority embarkation with the cards.

Also, we were not in the normal terminal. It did not have the seating like last year when we boarded. And the vip lounge was totally different. I think it was a temporary thing due to construction.

Well that makes more sense! I know when FTTF was announced some VIPs wondered if FTTF would be in the VIP lounge with them. When we got to the port and saw the lounge I wondered what the big deal was, and actually preferred where we were sitting!

We purchased the FTTF tickets for our upcoming Liberty cruise. There were only 15 tickets offered to begin with and when those were sold it was never reloaded with more. So, 15 cabins with 2 - 4 people in each cabin makes 30 - 60 people at the very most using this program, at least for our cruise.

We purchased the F2F tickets for our cruise also. There was 15 tickets offered then those were sold out and they offered 15 more and then they were sold and a couple of weeks ago they put 5 more up for sale and they're all gone. Most of them were purchased by people on our roll call.

VIP boarding has always been slow IMHO but you get to sit on a couch. But instead of 25 agents to check you in you have maybe 4.

I have had my non VIP friends check in faster then me on numerous occassions. Don't think you can blame the new program?

Only time I ever found VIP to be a real perk is when there are long security lines.

Or on our last cruise out of NOLA 1 agent for the VIP lounge. We took our cards to a regular agent and got on 7 couples ahead of the wait in VIP.

So this group arrives shortly after boarding has begun, the F2F's go to their line and VIPS go to their line. In this case the F2F's were given a priority over the VIPS which arrived as a group. A few minutes would be no problem, but the F2F's were on board 58 minutes (if I understand CruznBuckeye) before her VIP group. Thats no advantage at all. They were sent to the back of the line. I hope CruznBuckeye posts her story to JH blog or FB page and asks for a response from him. Like to see how he will spin in.

So this group arrives shortly after boarding has begun, the F2F's go to their line and VIPS go to their line. In this case the F2F's were given a priority over the VIPS which arrived as a group. A few minutes would be no problem, but the F2F's were on board 58 minutes (if I understand CruznBuckeye) before her VIP group. Thats no advantage at all. They were sent to the back of the line. I hope CruznBuckeye posts her story to JH blog or FB page and asks for a response from him. Like to see how he will spin in.

They were on 27 minutes after the F2F friends as per camera footage OP mentioned.

So, VIP has a specific line/counter for check in...they go to that and then sit in VIP lounge and wait for S&S cards (why don't they get the cards at counter?). Then, since boarding has already begun, they can get in line to board. They thought they could go to the front of the line, but were told to go to the back. Meanwhile, F2F went to their designated counter to check in and got their S&S cards and then proceeded to the line to board and got on the ship 27 minutes before VIP friends. They say they were allowed to go to the front of the line. VIP check in line took longer than F2F check in line...maybe there were more VIPs in line...no way to control that. The only problem I see is that VIP folks could not go to front of line to board, but their F2F friends could. Since boarding had already begun...I would have thought that EVERYBODY would just get in line to board...no cutting to the front for VIP or F2F (they just don't have to get a zone # and wait to be called...which I assume that shortly after boarding has begun they are still giving out zone cards).

While it doesnt seem like much, we were told that the security cameras show us boarding 28 minutes after our friends... yes, they have good security when they can actually go in and look at the time you boarded by the camera.

Anyway, faster to the fun worked great for them! Onboard within 27 minutes after arriving.... I was happy for them... but we would have been onboard faster if we had paid for that instead of with our Platinum card. We were told at the guest service desk that the idea of Platinum boarding is so you can sit and not wait in the line. I always thought it was to get you on faster. I would have preferred that they put us all through the same line if this is how it is. Instead, we were sitting in a room with about 20 others, with empty lemonade pitchers. Oh well... to those thinking of booking faster to the fun, do it! It worked out great for our friends...:D

They were on 28 minutes after their friends, but 55 minutes after arriving at port...or close to that.

OP- If your friends initially asked you to wait for them so that you could board together and get embarkation photo together...then why didn't they wait for you?

I still have a problem understanding this. Boarding had started when the entire group (Platinum/VIP and FTTF people) arrived at Terminal. FTTF got their check in and boarded in front of line, but Platinum sent to rear of line. If boarding had started, why say Platinum had to wait, but not FTTF who arrived at same time?

CCL dropped the ball on this, as Platinum are to have priority boarding. My problem is they all arrived at the same time.:confused::(

I still have a problem understanding this. Boarding had started when the entire group (Platinum/VIP and FTTF people) arrived at Terminal. FTTF got their check in and boarded in front of line, but Platinum sent to rear of line. If boarding had started, why say Platinum had to wait, but not FTTF who arrived at same time?

CCL dropped the ball on this, as Platinum are to have priority boarding. My problem is they all arrived at the same time.:confused::(

Exactly. If I get to the terminal at the same time as ANYONE, my expectation should be I will get on board before everyone else, unless someone else is VIP arriving at the same time.

We did not get a zone card. I was told that boarding begun just a short time before we got onboard. We were sent to the vip lounge. Faster to the fun was sent to their line, and the other passengers were in their long winding line, getting checked in. I did not expect to be put ahead of anyone already there, that would be silly. It just seemed odd to me that our friends who we arrived with, boarded the ship long before we did, and that the person at the top of the ramp, let them go to the front of the line, (which they did pay for) but sent us to the end even after showing him our Platinum cards and telling him they we are supposed to get priority embarkation with the cards.

Also, we were not in the normal terminal. It did not have the seating like last year when we boarded. And the vip lounge was totally different. I think it was a temporary thing due to construction.

That's the thing that confused me. I wondered why they made VIP go to the back of the line. I can understand letting FTTP go first if they were already checked in, but Vip should have gone to the front of the line after they were checked in as well. Not sent to the back, unless those in front of you were also all VIP.

Archived