just returned, faster to the fun, and Platinum too

cruzn buckeye

The line I am talking about is when you walk across the ramp to actually board the ship and you reach the top of the ramp, you then join the line that runs along the deck of the ship... and it was a long line... we should have been told to go ahead and have been let to enter the line where the ramp met the deck, which others, including our friends, did.

Hmm, I'm not trying to push things further here, but when I think priority boarding I don't think about once I get on the ship (the line across the bridge that you speak of). I just always thought priority boarding meant that you got to cross over to the ship faster. I would never expect to by pass all those other passengers waiting to "ding" their card for the first time if I was P/D or F2F. I've never heard of anyone getting to "skip" this line, no matter their status.

If you were on this part of the process, there could have been indeed a misunderstanding and probably not on your end, but on your friend's end.

Just curious, but was the person who told you to go back to the end of the line wearing one of those "Ask me" shirts or a ship board uniform vs. what they wear in the terminal? My point being, it could have just been a ship board crew member who wasn't familiar with new processes or confused (language etc.).

Can other P/D members attest to being able to "skip" the line at this point in the boarding process b/c of your status?

I'm really just curious.

There are always exceptions to the rule. This was an exception. Usually wont happen that way nut it cam I guess due to timing. If a lot of platinums show up at the same time and just a couple of FTTF, then FTTF will het on first. Should they just hold ip those folks until the VIP room is empty?

To the person that said Carnival lied, what did they lie about? FTTF is part of platinum. You get to go straight to your room.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

FTTF is not part of or have anything to do with Platinum.It is designed to sell part of the Platinum perks, to those not already eligible.

Now that really pizzes me right off! They said that Platinum/VIP would board first! I've already paid (via many expensive cruises) to get that service...I'm certainly not going to pay EXTRA for it.:mad:

I'm with you. I really don't care how many people they selll priority boarding to as long as that boarding takes place AFTER platinum and diamond passengers but if they are not going to enforce that then they will make the platinum and diamond VIP status meaningless.

I'm with you. I really don't care how many people they selll priority boarding to as long as that boarding takes place AFTER platinum and diamond passengers but if they are not going to enforce that then they will make the platinum and diamond VIP status meaningless.
I think many of you need to see the writing on the wall - this is all about $ - it is the way of the world we live in. If the cruise line can get people to pay for the perks that only the platinum and diamond used to have - then that is what they will do and so in the end the paying customer will eventually edge out the perk customer. These cruise line loyalty programs give people a false sense of status and entitlement - just as the frequent flyer miles programs do. I have no status on a cruise line - but I do on an airline and I'm telling you - that if you are willing to pay for 1st class - then I won't be upgraded and I'll sit in the back. A perk is just that - a reward, a freebie, a nod to your loyalty but nothing says that is is a guarantee for life - you just have to bump and roll with it.

And what happens when a FTTF shows up at 11 and a Platinum shows up at 12? Hold that FTTF person until all Platinums have showed up and boarded?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is the problem I see happening. Not enough agents to check-in VIP where FTTF are going to a different counter where there are many more agents so they are getting processed sooner. Makes me think on my next cruise, I'll just go where the FTTF people go cause it's faster! :eek: Not suppose to be that way, but as Linda says, Carnival can mess up toast! They have a track record for instilling new programs and then not being able to meet expectations.

Pat

There was only one line for FTTF on my recent Liberty cruise and only 2 agents checking people in, so there were not many more agents, not sure how many agents they have checking in V.I.Ps, but like I stated there were only 2 for FTTF for my cruise.

I think many of you need to see the writing on the wall - this is all about $ - it is the way of the world we live in. If the cruise line can get people to pay for the perks that only the platinum and diamond used to have - then that is what they will do and so in the end the paying customer will eventually edge out the perk customer. These cruise line loyalty programs give people a false sense of status and entitlement - just as the frequent flyer miles programs do. I have no status on a cruise line - but I do on an airline and I'm telling you - that if you are willing to pay for 1st class - then I won't be upgraded and I'll sit in the back. A perk is just that - a reward, a freebie, a nod to your loyalty but nothing says that is is a guarantee for life - you just have to bump and roll with it.

I agree. I have no feelings of entitlement other than being entitled to the same options as ALL other Carnival passengers. But tell me this. Although your airline does not move you to first class based on your frequent flyer status, does your airline forbid you from buying a first class ticket because of it? My concern is that Carnival won't allow me to book the FTTF because they say Platinum passengers already get this service. So I AM concerned if I DON'T receive the service since I am not permitted to BUY the service like other people! If Carnival books 100 people on my cruise for the FTTF "tour" but does not allow me to book it, and does not board Platinum and Diamond FIRST, then they are effectively making my platinum status a disability rather than an advantage.

To the person who asked what I expect them to do if FTTF guest arrives at 11 and Platinum guest arrives at 12 noon? I expect them to send that platinum guest to the front of the line when they arrive to only be preceded in line by any diamond passengers or other platinum passengers who arrived sooner. When I go to the airport there is a check in line for 1st Class and a line for all others. The first class line may be empty and there can be 50 people in the other line but if 1 first class passenger steps into the first class line. That person is the next one called to the counter to check in. Thats how it should be for Diamond and Platinum passengers. If it is not handled that way then why don't they allow Platinum passengers to purchase FTTF?

Hmm, I'm not trying to push things further here, but when I think priority boarding I don't think about once I get on the ship (the line across the bridge that you speak of). I just always thought priority boarding meant that you got to cross over to the ship faster. I would never expect to by pass all those other passengers waiting to "ding" their card for the first time if I was P/D or F2F. I've never heard of anyone getting to "skip" this line, no matter their status.

If you were on this part of the process, there could have been indeed a misunderstanding and probably not on your end, but on your friend's end.

Just curious, but was the person who told you to go back to the end of the line wearing one of those "Ask me" shirts or a ship board uniform vs. what they wear in the terminal? My point being, it could have just been a ship board crew member who wasn't familiar with new processes or confused (language etc.).

Can other P/D members attest to being able to "skip" the line at this point in the boarding process b/c of your status?

I'm really just curious.

I have been platinum for a while - way before FTTF program. On my first platinum cruise, I wasn't sure if the priority embarkation allowed me to skip the long "deck line" after the ramp to ding the card for the first time and enter the ship. The Carnival line-handler I asked when we reached the top of the ramp said we had to go to the end of the long line. I did as instructed. I do think there was a language barrier because when I asked him the question he really just nodded his head and pointed to the end of the line, but I didn't push it. I would also like to know what others have experienced at this point in embarkation.

I hadn't read that Platinum people couldn't buy FTTF?? Actually, I thought on the original thread about FTTF that someone said, "I'm Platinum and I still bought FTTF" or something like that.

Maggie

Nope. If you try to book it the site will say its already included for platinum passengers and won't allow you to buy it.

I have been platinum for a while - way before FTTF program. On my first platinum cruise, I wasn't sure if the priority embarkation allowed me to skip the long "deck line" after the ramp to ding the card for the first time and enter the ship. The Carnival line-handler I asked when we reached the top of the ramp said we had to go to the end of the long line. I did as instructed. I do think there was a language barrier because when I asked him the question he really just nodded his head and pointed to the end of the line, but I didn't push it. I would also like to know what others have experienced at this point in embarkation.

Yes, I'm not P/D, but I think its a valid point and question that people keep by passing to continue their arguments. The argument is moot if at this point in the process your "status" doesn't matter. But more importantly, its good information for people.

Nope. If you try to book it the site will say its already included for platinum passengers and won't allow you to buy it.

I guess it is good that the computer recognizes that. I'm sure there would be some complaining if a Platinum ended up buying that and then found out that they got the same features for free.

Maggie

HAHaha - $50 for FTTF (or $100 for 2?) and they get boarded 28 or so minutes earlier? Nearly $2 a minute? That'd buy several DOD's! I'd wait. :p

Hahaha, a comment by someone that doesn't know what they are talking about:D

It is per room and also allows you access to your room as soon as you board, instead of lugging your hand luggage around. A real bonus with kids - which is why we are giving it a try in 10 days.

• 4 months later...
This is outrageous.

why is it outrages? so what you stick with the same cruise line, and expect to be above people. Its a business not charity. Im a first time cruiser never thought about going on one until my older brother showed me a bunch of cool pictures and great stories. If I have to pay a little fee to get on early great. I can be on 50th cruise ,and wont expect anything free. This is what's wrong with America. Society always expecting companies to give free stuff. Just because you purchase something doesn't entitle you to something free or make you more special ,because you a repeat. Stop it!

We just debarked yesterday from the Liberty and would like to share our experience for those wishing to purchase the faster to the fun...

I say do it!

My daughter and myself are Platinum, her on her 10th cruise, and it was my 24th. We have three friends that cruised with us that are not Platinum. As soon as I heard about the faster to the fun pass, I called them and told them to purchase it. Personally, while I did not like the fact that others could just buy into perks that we have earned, over many cruises with Carnival, I just thought ... well if others are doing it, why not them??

Our plane was scheduled to arrive at Miami at 10:40. We arrived early... 10:20. We shared a cab/van for the ride to the port, with a quick 10 minute stop to purchase cranberry juice to mix with the vodka that we ordered from room service... that worked out very nice by the way.

After arriving to the port, our luggage and their luggage was put in a different area that those that are not Platinum, Diamond or faster to the fun. We went together through the security line. Our friends asked us to wait for them after getting checked in, because they wanted our embarkation pic taken together. We went to the front of the line where they were taking faster to the fun and vip guests, including Platinum.

The security line for us was very fast, then they sent our friends to the faster to the fun line, and us to the Platinum vip lounge. Our friends were boarding immediately, us... not so much. Our friends kept calling us to find out where we were... well... we were sitting the the lounge waiting for them to call our names. Finally, when we get done getting checked in, and standing in another short line, for our sail and sign money to be applied, we headed to the line for boarding. Got to the top of the ramp, sorry we were told... you have to go to the back of the line ( a very long line by the way ). I showed him my card and told him we were supposed to get priority embarkation,... he said go to the back of the line... so we did.... Our friends had already boarded and eaten their lunch at the buffet by the time we got onboard... and were waiting for us... It actually took us almost 55 minutes from the time we arrived at the ship to the time we boarded. While it doesnt seem like much, we were told that the security cameras show us boarding 28 minutes after our friends... yes, they have good security when they can actually go in and look at the time you boarded by the camera.

Anyway, faster to the fun worked great for them! Onboard within 27 minutes after arriving.... I was happy for them... but we would have been onboard faster if we had paid for that instead of with our Platinum card. We were told at the guest service desk that the idea of Platinum boarding is so you can sit and not wait in the line. I always thought it was to get you on faster. I would have preferred that they put us all through the same line if this is how it is. Instead, we were sitting in a room with about 20 others, with empty lemonade pitchers. Oh well... to those thinking of booking faster to the fun, do it! It worked out great for our friends...:D

Exactly what I was looking for ,thanks for the review. I just purchased mine.

• 2 months later...

My post is kinda late for the discussion but...

I wanted to say that even though I purchased this pass, I also think that it's terrible that all you platinum+ cruisers are being treated like second class VIP because of this program. You have EARNED your perks(as well as paying tons on money on your trips)and your loyalty IS more important than someone's $49.99!

My post is kinda late for the discussion but...

I wanted to say that even though I purchased this pass, I also think that it's terrible that all you platinum+ cruisers are being treated like second class VIP because of this program. You have EARNED your perks(as well as paying tons on money on your trips)and your loyalty IS more important than someone's $49.99!

That's all I have to say, just thank you!

FTTF people also get prority tender and their own line at guest services just like platinum diamond per carnivals website. On our last sailing in the Sensation the FTTF guest services line was the same line as the platinum diamond vip. Is it safe to assume that the FTTF tender line is the same as platinum diamond. Can anyone confirm this?

We were assured that platinum diamond will board before fttf which i am ok with because the platinum diamond wont be affected. If true this means that means FTTF are allowed to go before platinum diamond by just paying for the perk and platinum diamond are being pushed back and affected. A platinum diamond could be pushed back behind 30 to 60 FTTF people when trying to board a tender or at guest services. What is everyones thoughts?

FTTF people also get prority tender and their own line at guest services just like platinum diamond per carnivals website. On our last sailing in the Sensation the FTTF guest services line was the same line as the platinum diamond vip. Is it safe to assume that the FTTF tender line is the same as platinum diamond. Can anyone confirm this?

We were assured that platinum diamond will board before fttf which i am ok with because the platinum diamond wont be affected. If true this means that means FTTF are allowed to go before platinum diamond by just paying for the perk and platinum diamond are being pushed back and affected. A platinum diamond could be pushed back behind 30 to 60 FTTF people when trying to board a tender or at guest services. What is everyones thoughts?

FTTF definitely boarded before us when were were in Miami for the Breeze in February. We were all the the same lounge - and taken as a group - there was no effort made to assist the Diamond or Platinum cruisers first.

I'm a little confused about the boarding. The boarding had already begun before you got to the line, right? Did they not give you a VIP card or were they no longer using zone cards for boarding? We were platinum on our last cruise and boarded right after the weddings before they started calling zone numbers. I thought VIP would go to the front of the line for boarding regardless of when they arrived.

I believe that this is something that Carnival really needs to look into. While I will purchase FTTF for DH and I when we sail next year, I can appreciate other cruisers who have cruised before and are diamond/platinum and cannot board early. Because FTTF is still new, I would think that this is something that will be looked into and hopefully changed. Since I've been reading the posts, I've thought that wedding parties, diamond/platinum are boarded first. Be patient, Carnival is probably still working this out. Whatever the outcome at least we still get on the ship, right?:D

I believe that this is something that Carnival really needs to look into. While I will purchase FTTF for DH and I when we sail next year, I can appreciate other cruisers who have cruised before and are diamond/platinum and cannot board early. Because FTTF is still new, I would think that this is something that will be looked into and hopefully changed. Since I've been reading the posts, I've thought that wedding parties, diamond/platinum are boarded first. Be patient, Carnival is probably still working this out. Whatever the outcome at least we still get on the ship, right?:D

This thread is from back in September when the program first started, I'm sure most of the kinks have been worked out be now.

Archived