Ratings - Do People Just Not "GET IT"?

ilovetexas

What's so difficult about a five star rating system? One=you hated it, 5=you loved it. I'm thinking about another cruise on Monarch and knowing that she's leaving the fleet, I wanted to see if things are up to par lately. I ran across this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=108813

He/she gushed about how great everything was and gave just about everything a 1. Except for dining. He/she said the food was just average but loved their server and they gave it a 3. This sort of nonsense skews the ratings for ships; I've seen it several times.

DRIVES ME NUTS! Cruise Critic needs to come up with a way to either contact the member and allow them the opportunity to change the stars to match their review or simply delete the review altogether. Poor little Monarch of the Seas!

What's so difficult about a five star rating system? One=you hated it, 5=you loved it. I'm thinking about another cruise on Monarch and knowing that she's leaving the fleet, I wanted to see if things are up to par lately. I ran across this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=108813

He/she gushed about how great everything was and gave just about everything a 1. Except for dining. He/she said the food was just average but loved their server and they gave it a 3. This sort of nonsense skews the ratings for ships; I've seen it several times.

DRIVES ME NUTS! Cruise Critic needs to come up with a way to either contact the member and allow them the opportunity to change the stars to match their review or simply delete the review altogether. Poor little Monarch of the Seas!

quite a few surveys have 1 as the highest ranking and 5( or 10) being the lowest. if you do not actually read/pay attention to the system as it is described I can easily see that happening.

quite a few surveys have 1 as the highest ranking and 5( or 10) being the lowest. if you do not actually read/pay attention to the system as it is described I can easily see that happening.

Ah, but who can be expected to pay attention or even read these days? If it's longer than a standard text message, it's probably "too long". Spelling? Y bother? Grammar? U dont need it.

Exactly. It happens all the time on TripAdvisor too and drives me mad, but I think most of the time it is just down to plain old not reading the instructions.

If I had went by the reviews I read about Sovereign of the Seas which was my 1st cruise ship, I would not be cruising today. Most of the reviews I had read were terrible, but I decided to take a chance on it anyway and had the most enjoyable vacation ever. Most of the supposedly really terrible stuff about the ship, I never did experience. Now I take whatever negative reviews I read about a ship that I am going to cruise on with a grain of salt!

The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves!

Like ;)

I read all reviews, and love them, but that's why I don't take the stars into account. Someone might say they hated a place because there was no shopping and give it 2 stars, I'd find that appealing about a place and would give it 4. So only by actually reading people's reviews can you learn if in fact the place/cruise/vacation meets your needs. That's one of the reason I like detailed reviews and not " it was great, I loved it" That's wonderful but unless I'm your best friend, it means nothing to me!

Also, if you read a lot of them you see trends...If one reviewer says the Royal Carribean shows are terrible dreck, it just doesn't square with the 50 other reviewers that say they love the shows. ( even though I'd still prefer them to say why!

That was a strange review. I don't know how people get that confused ... Wonder if they stayed at the 5 star budget in the night before?:rolleyes:
Maybe I was doing something wrong but I tried to search for the member cruiser4evur and got no results. I then went through the members list and could not find the member either. I though this was strange.

Exactly. It happens all the time on TripAdvisor too and drives me mad, but I think most of the time it is just down to plain old not reading the instructions.

one of my faorite teachers in Highs chool( Social studies/History) had this brilliant way of showcasing this.

the first line of the test said: Write your name at the top and read all the questions. Do not answer until you read the last question.

what follows is about 25 easy peasy general history( columbus discovered America in what year easy)

the last question says: turn the paper in with only your name at the top, do NOT answer any of the questions.

I was the ONLY person who passed.( I cheated, I read the last question first)

It's amazing what some people will write on some of these review website.

I was reading a review for this all inclusive resort which had an open area buffet overlooking the ocean. The reviewer wrote that the buffet was worthless because the ocean views and sounds were too distracting. :confused:

I agree with the "it drives me nuts comment." I read that same review and couldn't figure out why all the one ratings. it is too bad as if other people don't actually read the review, they will think this trip stinks. It doesn't and to prove it I am taking that same ship and trip for the second time in four months.

Sounds like the reviewer had her stars reversed.

Yup

Spend time to read the words. Ignore the actual stars or numbers or whatever.

I usually only ready the negative and then determine the silliness of them. It is always amazing on most sites the 1-2-3 rating never mean much. Every cruise is completely up to that person to figure out. Not every line is for every person. Same with things like phones and tv's.

It's not just cruise reviews. I was just talking to someone about how bad the ratings on products on Amazon.com can be. A reviewer will say the product is good, exactly what they wanted but the UPS guy left it in the bushes and the box got damp.....1 star!! Drives me nuts!!

Archived