rosacea

GORDONCHICK

I've developed rosacea along my jawline and it appears to be moving up toward my cheeks. Has anyone found anything that helps lessen it? I thought make-up made it worse, but this summer I've been able to go without anything on my face for days but saw no difference.

Any words of wisdom?

I have it too, though mine is around my mouth and nose.

A dermatologist can give you a creme that will work very well. I started with MetroGel in the mornings and Fenacea cream in the evenings, but now I use the Fenacea for both. Coupled with moisurizer, mine is usually under control. I also have Eczema.

Make up doesn't affect the condition, but several companies make a foundation make up with a blue undertone that helps to conceal it. I use Clinique. Avoid pinky-pink blush or lipstick.

Drink plenty of water. That's just good advice on several fronts. Some people say that diet affects Rosacea, but I personally haven't figured out any triggers for my condition.

One last thing, from me, not my dermatologist. A little bit of self- tanner helps me a great deal, but that may be because I am naturally pasty white and have never had really great skin anyway.

I have it in the areas that would be covered if you had an oxygen mask on. Metrogel helps a little, but I haven't heard of the other medicine mentioned. I'm going to Dermatologist on Friday and will ask. The thing about the type of rosacea I have is that my face gets very dry and looks chapped. Luckily, I don't have the "breakouts" that many have with the condition. It does get redder with consumption of wine. :(

The problem I have with make up is, because my skin is so dry, it cracks and the make up just accentuates the problem. If I use foundation, it's a mineral powder, not a liquid. The caveat is that the powder dries my skin even more than it already is. :rolleyes:

The problem I have with make up is, because my skin is so dry, it cracks and the make up just accentuates the problem. If I use foundation, it's a mineral powder, not a liquid. The caveat is that the powder dries my skin even more than it already is. :rolleyes:

I also have that problem...Now I use a moisurizer right before I apply the foundation...And I use a mousse foundation.

I have rosacea, too. It can be annoying because you think you're doing everything right, avoiding triggers, etc. yet it still can flare up at times. You don't mention if you are seeing a dermatologist, but as noted above, there are prescription creams that can be a huge help (plus a new oral medication; I don't have any experience with it though). Also the right cleanser and moisturizer will make a huge difference. My doc recommended Cetaphil products and it makes a huge difference for me -- plus it is very inexpensive. Usually tucked away on a low shelf at the drugstore, white bottle. Just make sure you wait 5-10 minutes after washing your face before applying any prescription creams.

I have rosacea too. Mine is on my cheeks. I use the generic brand of Metrolotion and than (plus avoiding triggers) keeps it under control.

I use a liquid foundation and it has never bothered it but it evens out the redness very well.

Some common triggers include: sun, alcohol, stress, spicy foods, exercise. You kind of have to figure out what your own triggers are. Anything that makes you blush or flush is bad. I've never had a problem with spicy foods or alcohol (except maybe wine) but I turn beet red if I exercise too hard. My rosacea flared up when I was training for a 10k. Now I just exercise less and that works for me. :)

I am based in the UK and suffer. I get a very mild antibiotic from the doctor-tetrocycline??. I only take them when a breakout is bad, otherwise nothing. I don't wear makeup anyway. I have just learnt to live with it when my face is a little red and spotty. curries and drinks can effect it. Otherwise it comes out when I don't want a spotty face-going on a cruise etc...

Avene and Clinique both make green tinted moisturizers and sunscreens - the green neutralizes the redness a bit.

I personally find mine is worse when I don't wear makeup. Seems like the makeup helps keep my skin calm, if that makes sense. I use L.A. Minerals - they make a green base which I used for years but I've recently tried their yellow base and I find it nicer, I look a little more alive. If you use the veil step, the makeup stays put all day, even in and out of water (if you pat dry).

I've never found a product that takes away the redness though, I don't think it exists despite all the marketing claims. I've been told to try laser treatments but can't seem to get there. I live with the redness, and wear makeup when I'm going out anywhere worthwhile.

As for triggers, I think you have to take note of your flareups and try to find a pattern. I'm always red, but I can feel the extra flush when I eat peas of all things! :eek:

But no way I'm giving up red wine or spicy foods so I'll just keep covering it up when I'm out and about. I'm quite happy to avoid strenuous exercise though. ;):D

Avene and Clinique both make green tinted moisturizers and sunscreens - the green neutralizes the redness a bit.

I personally find mine is worse when I don't wear makeup. Seems like the makeup helps keep my skin calm, if that makes sense. I use L.A. Minerals - they make a green base which I used for years but I've recently tried their yellow base and I find it nicer, I look a little more alive. If you use the veil step, the makeup stays put all day, even in and out of water (if you pat dry).

I've never found a product that takes away the redness though, I don't think it exists despite all the marketing claims. I've been told to try laser treatments but can't seem to get there. I live with the redness, and wear makeup when I'm going out anywhere worthwhile.

As for triggers, I think you have to take note of your flareups and try to find a pattern. I'm always red, but I can feel the extra flush when I eat peas of all things! :eek:

But no way I'm giving up red wine or spicy foods so I'll just keep covering it up when I'm out and about. I'm quite happy to avoid strenuous exercise though. ;):D

My sister used the green tinted stuff and I kept thinking she had bruises on her face. Make sure you have good lighting and a good mirror if you use that! Clinique also has a line called "Redness Solution". The powder is yellow and does tone down the redness. I'm not convinced the other products in the line make any difference. :rolleyes:

Guest maddycat

I've had rosacea for several years. I control it by using Metro Gel 1% at night and Finacea both morning and night. I also use Cetaphil cleanser and Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 15. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible. When I do go out in the sun I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70. I also try to avoid cold winter wind, but when I can't I cover as much of my face as possible with a scarf. I've tried Clinique redness products but found that they irritate my skin. Good luck.

I've had Rosacea for years. I use Metrogel/Finacea, and it's been under control but the last year or so it has gotten worse. (Stress, I think. And no cruise since 2010! :eek:) The doc started me on an oral medication called Solodyn which works really well, but it is terribly expensive. I had to do their rx program which got it down to a $20 copay. It's beginning to help though. The redness is gone, but the breakouts are still happening a bit.

Robin

Two additional thoughts:

1. Be prepared for the prescription creams to be a little pricey. With my insurance, if I need an anti-biotic for strep throat or something similar, I usually pay $5-10. My husband pays nothing for his diabetes meds. In contrast, my prescription creams are $25/2-month tube. It's worth it, of course, but since they are deemed "cosmetic", they cost more.

2. Another rule from my dermatologist: Alcohol must never, never, never touch my face. I forget if this is for the Roseacea or the Eczema, but -- regardless -- the two often go together, so it's probably good advice for you too.

I have it in the areas that would be covered if you had an oxygen mask on . . . The problem I have with make up is, because my skin is so dry, it cracks
An oxygen mask -- that's exactly where my problem areas lie too.

The dryness and cracking sound like Eczema. At my worst, I had big flakes of skin rolling off my face. It can be really painful, and I have another cream for it. It's something like Eldol. At first that was a lifesaver, but now that I have the evil dryness under control, I'm able to keep it at bay with a good moisturizer (VaniCream, recommended by my dermatologist). When I get lazy and go a day without the moisturizer . . . I need the Eldol again. I prefer not to use it because it does include a cancer warning in the fine print.

1. Be prepared for the prescription creams to be a little pricey. With my insurance, if I need an anti-biotic for strep throat or something similar, I usually pay $5-10. My husband pays nothing for his diabetes meds. In contrast, my prescription creams are $25/2-month tube. It's worth it, of course, but since they are deemed "cosmetic", they cost more.

My insurance covers my prescription. I used to pay $30 for the Metro Lotion but now that there's a generic version, it's only $10.

I think the lotion lasts longer than the cream or gel. But it's best to get the kind for your skin type. Cream is better for dry skin. My skin is too oily for cream but the lotion works great.

I also suffer :(

I use Avene Redness Relief Soothing Cream with SPF 25 as my daily moisturizer and then Avene's Antirougeurs FORT Relief Concentrate cream at night. Both are non perscription and they seem to help me quite a bit.

As far as make up goes, I use MAC water based or mineral based products on my face. I have heard that Bare Minerals brand makeup is good for people with Rosacea, but I have not tried them.

Thanks to everyone for sharing! :D

I have rosacea but have kept it under good control for about the past 5 years.

When I was first diagnosed my doctor gave me Metrogel, but I hated the way it looked on my skin. It didn't work well with foundation (caked), which made me put on more foundation, which made me appear to be wearing a mask. So out went the Metrogel.

Then my derm put me on a low dose antiobiotic (as another poster mentioned). That stopped the worst of that flareup and brought to a baseline of "minor" rosacea.

Then we moved to Florida. The heat made the flare ups SO much worse. So I had to figure out what would work for me.

- I keep my face out of the sun, and if I start to have a flare up, I avoid hot places at all costs (no sun bathing or sitting on an outdoor patio)

- I use only lotions and potions for sensitive skin. Some products, like Neutrogena, cause a flare up in about 48 hours. I used Arbonne for several years, but now use Kiehl products. Super gentle and oil free.

- I'm very careful about which sunscreens I use because many of them seem to cause a flare up. Try some very gentle ones until you find one that works.

- For makeup I use a liquid (Chanel these days - with a brush as that seems to provide better coverage without using too much foundation). I tried Bare Minerals several times but it just got caked in the large pores that come with rosacea.

- I have been using some Jurlique products lately and they are quite soothing. You may want to check out what they offer.

- Avoid hot/spicy foods and caffeine until you figure out what causes your flare-ups.

- Use cold compresses on your face if you're really having a bad time.

- I tried the green stuff but it never really worked that well for me. It was just too heavy on my oily, puffy skin.

You can definitely get it under control, it just takes some time and finding out what causes your flare up.

Thanks everyone for all of your info and experiences. I've not seen a dermatologist about the rosacea yet. Since DH is the only one working at this time and it's just really starting to be annoying, I've not ranked this as a priority at this time. But it has been informative to read about triggers and your experiences with different products. Thanks for all the input!

I don't have many flare ups and break outs, but my skin will definitely rebel with product that has dyes and fragrance, even lipstick will make my skin red.

The best thing I have ever done is to stop using a washcloth on my face, I only cleanse using my fingertips. I never exfoliate as that seems to irritate my skin a lot. I use Purity by Philosophy to cleanse, Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer gel (not the lotion), Clinique anti-redness green creme for SPF and their yellow powder, Bare Escentuals mentioned above made my skin feel like it was on fire. And, I try to keep my hands off of my face.

I also noticed Proactive mentioned, but those products are typically so drying, my kids couldn't even use that stuff when they were in their teens.

We're all different and what works well for some is a disaster for others. The down side is all the money spent until you find the products that work for your own skin regardless of what works for other people. I don't vary from the tried and true products for my skin...I finally got control of it and don't want to monkey around any longer.

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist, if you haven't already. There are good prescription products that end up costing less than experimenting with a bunch of over-the-counter stuff (and your doctor may be able to provide you with free samples). Plus you may have a condition that causes your skin to be red which is not rosacea. I have used Finacea with good success, but it may not be the best for you.

You should check out the rosacea forum (just google that). I am convinced that the moderators there know way more about rosacea than a lot of dermatologists!

I used to use metrolotion, now I keep my rosacea under control with seabuckthorn seed oil (not the berry oil, although it is great for anit-aging). I must avoid anything with even the slightest bit of fragrance.

I don't have many flare ups and break outs, but my skin will definitely rebel with product that has dyes and fragrance, even lipstick will make my skin red.

The best thing I have ever done is to stop using a washcloth on my face, I only cleanse using my fingertips. I never exfoliate as that seems to irritate my skin a lot. I use Purity by Philosophy to cleanse, Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer gel (not the lotion), Clinique anti-redness green creme for SPF and their yellow powder, Bare Escentuals mentioned above made my skin feel like it was on fire. And, I try to keep my hands off of my face.

I also noticed Proactive mentioned, but those products are typically so drying, my kids couldn't even use that stuff when they were in their teens.

We're all different and what works well for some is a disaster for others. The down side is all the money spent until you find the products that work for your own skin regardless of what works for other people. I don't vary from the tried and true products for my skin...I finally got control of it and don't want to monkey around any longer.

It's funny that washcloths are a no-no for you. I find that rubbing lightly with a washcloth is a postive for me -- but, then, I have Rosacea AND Eczema.

I agree that it's frustrating to spend money on various products trying to find "your cocktail". Before I realized what I had, I tried SO MANY things. Some cheap, some expensive. Mostly I tried acne products because, for me, I got the acne-portion of Rosacea before I got the redness; thus, I mistakenly thought it was adult acne, so I was trying teenaged-acne products. Almost all of them worked GREAT -- for a week or two, then I'd be right back to where I'd been. In contrast, the stuff the dermatologist recommended hit the bullseye immediately, and -- like you -- I won't change a thing now that I know what works for me.

I went to my Dermatologist last week and was very surprised when she prescribed Retin A! She said that a lot of my problems stem from clogged pours. I don't scrub because that enhances the redness, but she said the retin a would cause the skin to exfoliate without scrubbing. She's a big believer in it and uses it herself and for her mother! BTW, she is an assistant professor in dermatology at Eastern Va Med School, so is aware of the latest "studies", trends and recommendations of current publications.

As for make up, she recommends a good tinted moisturizer rather than foundation or mineral make up.

Archived