Looking for advice on lodging at Denali for 5

JustThinking23

Hi,

I am planning a first trip to Alaska for my family in mid August. I have been using these boards for information for a DIY land tour pre-cruise.

My first trouble is finding a place to stay near Denali, where all 5 of us can stay in one room. Of course rates are expensive, supply and demand, short season, height of season and all of that.

I will be traveling with my wife and 2 teens and 1 tween. Usually we book rooms in "suite" type hotels, not always large chains though. Kinda hard to fit into a "normal" size room especially with all the luggage we will have.

We are looking for 2 or 3 nights. We also do not want to be too far from the park. I am having trouble as it is convincing DW that 8 hours on a school bus on unpaved roads fits into her idea of a luxury cruise vacation! Adding a half hour to an hour extra on each end will not help me.;)

Looking at on-line reviews makes me think everything is bad!

I'm sure that someone here has been in "been in my shoes!"

Thanks!

Consider a cabin in Healy, which is about 15 minutes from the park entrance. There are several cabins with 2 bedrooms, like Ridgetop Cabins, Healy Heights, Denali Cabins .... check out the Denali Chamber of Commerce web site for others:

http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

or this site:

http://www.alaskaone.com/healy/

A cabin is nice because it gives your a little more space and privacy. Plus a kitchen for snacks, drinks, or full meals Since you have a car, buy a cheap cooler and pick up a few supplies in Anchorage or Wasilla.

Healy is only about eleven miles north of the entrance to Denali. The road is paved and the scenery quite nice.

We have stayed at the McKinley Chalets (located in Glitter Gulch), and both times the building we were in was comprised of two room suites. The main bedroom had a queen (or was it a king?) bed with a second single (or was it full?) sized bed. The front room had a folding sofa bed. Would that work for your family?

We stayed at McKinley Chalet Lodge and it was perfect for us. I don't know the kind of rooms they have or the cost, we were on RCCL cruisetour and did not book it ourself.

As far as riding the school bus for 8 plus hours, do it, it was worth it. We were there earlier this month and the fall colors were gorgeous, not to mention we saw bears, moose, eagles, sheep and one coyote! We went 62 miles into the park. I think the 4 hour tour goes 15 miles into the park. The farther you go, the prettier it gets!

I loved Denali!

I will check out the cabins in Healy and the Chalets.

I haven't fully decided if I am driving or training from Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage. I actually have a car reservation (fully cancelable) and know that would be way cheaper for 5, but part of me feels that the train could be fun.

I did just see that the coupon book discounts are only good for the "standard" fare, where the dome cars look to me like the best part!

Trixie, I am convinced of the 8 hour trip. Still working on DW.:D

Thanks again

We just got back a couple of weeks ago from our trip. We stayed at the McKinley Chalets, too.

1-1.jpg

another view.

2-2.jpg

This is a view from inside the train. It is very comfortable seating. There is a bar in each car and the lower level is for eating. I took some pictures from the open platform at the front of the car. It was a highlight for us. We got great views of scenery and Denali!!

P9090040.jpg

As you can see the mountain was behind a lot of clouds on the day we did the Tundra Wilderness tour--but, it was still awesome.

10-1.jpg

On our tour we saw 4 grizzly bears, 3 moose, a golden eagle, an arctic squirrel, a grouse, and more dall sheep (look like spots on the hill) thsn anyone wants to see. It snowed as we left the park.

8.jpg

It did not seem that it was that long.

http://denalinationalparklodging.net/

The luxury suite at the denali salmon bake is in Glitter Gulch (right at the entry of Denali National Park) and sleeps 6 with a kitchen, dining etc. at a reasonable price. Worth looking at. We haven't stayed there (check reviews on trip advisor) but it was great value compared to everywhere else I looked at including Healy (which is a fair distance from Denali).

The Homer area cabins seem to run about $150 to $200 a night. Pay attention to the fine print. Some cabin prices are based on double occupancy (others quad) and most charge $15 to $20 per person per night for above the quoted number.

Of course some are closer than others, some are further off of Park Hwy, a couple have breakfast, most do not. I still need to work up the spreadsheet with all of the relevant info to figure out which ones would be best for my family and then see about availability...

The McKinley Chalets mentioned on their website their mini-suites, but on the on-line booking, they never seemed to show up, even when I tried very early or very late in the season. Perhaps the cruise ship have a lock on these. I could call but the prices for their standard size "Cottonwood" rooms were $360 to $400 depending on the view, so I just don't think the min-suites would be worth my money.

I also looked into the cabins at the Salmon Bake. The "luxury" one looks more like an apartment. Cost is $250 a night. According to their online calendar, every night in August 2013 is available...

I looked up the tripadvisor ratings as suggested. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g143022-d290608-Reviews-Denali_Park_Salmon_Bake-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

Some of the reviews are about their resteraunt, most about their "cabins". The only one I saw about the "luxury" cabin was this one. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g143022-d290608-r138841208-Denali_Park_Salmon_Bake-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

The reviews do give me pause regarding unhelpfulness of staff, uncleanliness and a noisy location.

So, I think right now I am leaning towards a cabin in Homer, but not sure which one.

Thanks for your help!

The Homer area cabins...

I hope that was a typo since Homer is nowhere near Denali :)

If your wife wants a 'luxury' vacation maybe you should take her somewhere else. If the room has a flush toliet I'd consider that luxury. Alaska is about natural beauty not foo foo stuff. Good luck.

Honestly, that was my first thought when I first read the initial post. So many people in the lower 48 are used to Hyatts, Hiltons, Sheratons, etc. You barely get those even in Anchorage, much less in the rural area of Denali NP. Maybe this person is not wanting to see what so many others post about the "real Alaska" (whatever that is!).

We've stayed at cabins in Healy. Aspen Haus B&B. We stayed in their family cabin which if I recall correctly, had one room with a double bed and another room with 2 singles and a double.

I found the cabin to be clean, comfortable and reasonably priced.

OP , we are staying at healy heights next june :)

for 150 per night , we will be away from the ratrace of tourists , have our own full kitchen , bbq on the deck , tv , and some hopeful peace & quiet ;)

look into it , i think for us it made the most sense , perhaps it will for you too:cool:

dave

The Homer area cabins seem to run about $150 to $200 a night. Pay attention to the fine print. Some cabin prices are based on double occupancy (others quad) and most charge $15 to $20 per person per night for above the quoted number.

Of course some are closer than others, some are further off of Park Hwy, a couple have breakfast, most do not. I still need to work up the spreadsheet with all of the relevant info to figure out which ones would be best for my family and then see about availability...

The McKinley Chalets mentioned on their website their mini-suites, but on the on-line booking, they never seemed to show up, even when I tried very early or very late in the season. Perhaps the cruise ship have a lock on these. I could call but the prices for their standard size "Cottonwood" rooms were $360 to $400 depending on the view, so I just don't think the min-suites would be worth my money.

I also looked into the cabins at the Salmon Bake. The "luxury" one looks more like an apartment. Cost is $250 a night. According to their online calendar, every night in August 2013 is available...

I looked up the tripadvisor ratings as suggested. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g143022-d290608-Reviews-Denali_Park_Salmon_Bake-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

Some of the reviews are about their resteraunt, most about their "cabins". The only one I saw about the "luxury" cabin was this one. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g143022-d290608-r138841208-Denali_Park_Salmon_Bake-Denali_National_Park_and_Preserve_Alaska.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

The reviews do give me pause regarding unhelpfulness of staff, uncleanliness and a noisy location.

So, I think right now I am leaning towards a cabin in Homer, but not sure which one.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for posting this. I had started to think that these would be a great place for my family and I to stay, but after reading the reviews I think I'll pass. We will probably end up using a TourSaver coupon for a 2-for-1 at the McKinley Chalet. Actually would work better for us anyway since we are planning a rafting trip and an ATV trip in addition to heading into the park. And at 2-for-1, it will probably work out cheaper than the cabins.

Healy is only about eleven miles north of the entrance to Denali. The road is paved and the scenery quite nice.

We have stayed at the McKinley Chalets (located in Glitter Gulch), and both times the building we were in was comprised of two room suites. The main bedroom had a queen (or was it a king?) bed with a second single (or was it full?) sized bed. The front room had a folding sofa bed. Would that work for your family?

We stayed at McKinley Chalets on our recent cruisetour. While our room did have 2 separate rooms, the "bedroom" had a double bed (yes a regular double bed) and a twin, While the "sitting room" had a double hide-a-bed couch (which when open actually hit the desk on the other side of the room. And the bathroom was about 5X5 (real small).

So, while technically able to sleep 5, I wouldn't book 5 in there.

:)

We stayed at McKinley Chalets on our recent cruisetour. While our room did have 2 separate rooms, the "bedroom" had a double bed (yes a regular double bed) and a twin, While the "sitting room" had a double hide-a-bed couch (which when open actually hit the desk on the other side of the room. And the bathroom was about 5X5 (real small).

That is exactly the beds we had in our room at the McKinley Chalet. I agree that it is too small for 5. (particularly since they are teens--space is important with teens :))

I do not know if they have larger rooms/suites. I would check to see if they do. Your 2 for 1 coupon should help.

Here's a couple of pictures:

First room:

2pqq80m.jpg

Second room:

333lchs.jpg

Archived