HAL live cams

JudyO

I've been looking at the live web cams and can't find any for HAL ships. I have a friend on the Amsterdam this week to Alaska and thought it would be fun to see where the ship is. If you know of a site will you please post it. Thanks, Judy

The only cams on HAL are 'view from the bridge' that can be seen on cabin tv's when we are aboard the ships.

Folks in Inside Cabins really like the cam so they can see what the weather is when dressing.

:) Thanks for the info. I thought it would have been neat to take pictures from the web cams for my friend on the cruise. She just called me an hour ago from Seattle. they leave tomorrow. I'm going on the Princess Diamond June 11.

Having just been on the O'Dam, I want to add that we had a bow cam AND stern cam while onboard. All announcements were put through on the stern cam channel, interrupting the music which accompanies the video. Neither is on the internet, however.

David

I still don't know why HAL doesn't put these bridge camera shots up on their website. Lots of us would like to look in on them from time to time.

I agree. I know I would be checking them out quite often! It's too bad.

• 10 months later...
I still don't know why HAL doesn't put these bridge camera shots up on their website. Lots of us would like to look in on them from time to time.

My guess is that they don't want to burn valuable bandwidth on what is, at best, a "gee whiz" item like this.

A better question would be why HAL is still using antiquated ship-to-shore and internet technology (I don't know--are all the cruise lines so slow and expensive??). It seems they are on INMARSAT whereas DirecWay with VoIP would solve both problems at once.

My guess is that they don't want to burn valuable bandwidth on what is, at best, a "gee whiz" item like this.

A better question would be why HAL is still using antiquated ship-to-shore and internet technology (I don't know--are all the cruise lines so slow and expensive??). It seems they are on INMARSAT whereas DirecWay with VoIP would solve both problems at once.

HAL seems to have problems with computers, just look at the various complaints here about HAL's website, so it's not surprising that they are using older technology. The real question, to me, is if it is a problem of HAL not feeling that computers are a priority or not finding the personnel that can bring them into the 21st century?

HAL seems to have problems with computers, just look at the various complaints here about HAL's website, so it's not surprising that they are using older technology. The real question, to me, is if it is a problem of HAL not feeling that computers are a priority or not finding the personnel that can bring them into the 21st century?

I doubt they loaded the Noordam with a bunch of 486 systems :D

I was on the Oosterdam last week and we had a Cruise Critic Q&A with James Deering the Hotel Manager. The web cam question came up and he admitted to having no idea when HAL would have web cams available.

Here is the address of the San Diego port:

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/sandiego&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1090821196990&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&preset=SEE%20San%20Diego1/Cruise+Ship+Terminal

I would like to put such web cams on my home page. RSS is very cantankerous. It is blasted with advertisments, and runs on pirated software. The source code is typically lost or unavailable. No one knows how it works. That doesn't stop them from selling it. That is why HAL sticks with what works and what they can control, I think. The weather is too nice today to fight putting RSS on the home page.

Archived