AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

quote-

So what is wrong with being number three behind Regent? Or does he aspire to be number one?

The "new enhancements" and promised price increases are more likely to send Azamara back down the rankings.

I have just read an interesting article on another site, and it specifically mentions "bordering on luxury", Regent, and that azamaras offer is now better than oceania.

I am beginning to come round to the idea that azamara has made this move to try and eat into the market share of regent, and in turn hike the price. The typical regent customer is used to paying more than azamara, expects certain standards and service, and is willing to pay for it. It would seem, that if my assumption is correct, and it is an assumption, azamara are willing to jettison us as a consequence. Risky. Very risky.

Unless Azamara can figure out a way to increase stateroom size by 50% without reducing passenger capacity of its ships:rolleyes:, it's not just risky, it's ridiculously stupid.

Unless Azamara can figure out a way to increase stateroom size by 50% without reducing passenger capacity of its ships:rolleyes:, it's not just risky, it's ridiculously stupid.

YOu took the words out of my mouth!

And the Regent passengers don't want to drink the low tier free spirits.

Azamara has an identity crisis. It does not know who it is. It is does not understand its target customer.

YOu took the words out of my mouth!

And the Regent passengers don't want to drink the low tier free spirits.

Azamara has an identity crisis. It does not know who it is. It is does not understand its target customer.

I agree. Azamara does not know what it wants to be. This is the third change that I have seen since I started sail with them. And now they lost me! Which by the way I believe they wanted too.

Lately, it seems like the Marketing Department is making quite a few changes (mistakes)....but, who is asking for them? Have there been any consumer/customer focus groups? Are there a lot of people out there that said they would pay much higher prices just to have an evening event with over 600 of their closest friends? People that requested to have a non functional web site that would not show availability,pricing or allow you to make a booking? Remove Elemis and create the very strong fragrance, About Rose. I won't even touch the Bespoke coffee topic.

When the changes were announced, I felt like I lost a friend and a place I wanted to visit several times a year. After our current booked cruises we will take our business elsewhere.

Despite the naysayers there are those of us who really appreciate all-inclusive cruises and I'm happy the wonderful Azamara ships are heading in that direction. Some of the non-drinkers may drift away but many other all-inclusive fans who currently sail Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, etc. may come over to Azamara for the same amenities that they prefer but at a better price point. Makes sense to me and many thanks.

We will happily come over to Azamara from Regent. I especially like that shore excursions are not included. There are many on Regent who do NOT drink, even though it is included. And those who do, are not drinking excessively. I would imagine the same on Azamara.

I think the idea of spending more days in a port is going to attract a lot of well traveled people who have been everywhere, but now will be able to explore ports in depth. Sounds smart to me!

It might be useful to point out that this is not the first time that Azamara has appeared to change its focus.. When RCCL first transferred the two Ships from Pulmatour in 2008, they were, as I understood it, intended to be a small ship division of Celebrity, with comparable levels ( or better) of food and service. However, shortly after they were re-assigned, Azamara was created as an individual division of RCCL. Food and Service remained on a par with Celebrity but with the more user-friendly experience that usually goes with the smaller ship and that everyone has truly enjoyed since just about Day 1. By our May 16th, 2009 sailing on the Quest's Best of Italy Itinerary, Azamara had begun to create a very strong, diverse customer base who were exceedingly loyal to the Brand.

Then came 2010 and Azamara Club Cruises, increased advertising and hype, significantly higher priced and what appeared to be a re-targeting of the desired clientèle. A number of the previously loyal base were discouraged by either the pricing, the "new" focus, the deceptive marketing ( that was the one that got me), and a lot of other changes in general. For a while there certainly appeared to have been a significant erosion of the Base. It also appears that there has been expansion of that base and that the line is now highly regarded by its passengers again.

Now we have the current situation which I would interpret as another change in direction for management. I wonder if this time this is not a lot riskier. It seems to me that Azamara is still unclear about who its customers are and who it wants them to be. Certainly the above mentioned price increases are going to make prospective clients look a lot more closely at what they are buying, and I submit that the current base is not going to be happy about these changes as evidenced by the responses in this thread.

To me, Azamara management has been and continues to be "fuzzy" as to it's identity and goals. The ships continue to receive well deserved rave reviews, but the website still has issues and customer service is very much hit and miss. Perhaps what is needed is less grandiosity and more attention to the mundane. In other words, fix the things that are not working before you pat yourself on the back.

We have loved our Azamara cruises, we are very much looking forward to returning to the Journey on October 15th. But after that, the issue is very much in doubt.

We will happily come over to Azamara from Regent. I especially like that shore excursions are not included. There are many on Regent who do NOT drink, even though it is included. And those who do, are not drinking excessively. I would imagine the same on Azamara.

I think the idea of spending more days in a port is going to attract a lot of well traveled people who have been everywhere, but now will be able to explore ports in depth. Sounds smart to me!

Somehow I do not think you are going to find that Azamara is "Regent without the included excursions." Many Regent cruisers turn their noses up at Oceania or at best will consider only the newer more luxurious Oceania ships.

I do not think you are representative of the Regent cruisers I know. Most won't consider anything but Regent, Crystal or Seabourn -- drinkers or not.

Hi Bill,

thank you for responding. I am sure that you will be preparing a response to our reactions.

A key issue appears to be the dropping of the 50% discount for shore excursions.

We booked our June 2013 cruise this June & I was sure at the time that the 50% LDS would apply to our cruise. I have been searching these forums as I was unable to obtain a brochure at the time & I have found this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656049 I cannot see any response from yourself or anyone else representing Azamara that this was about to change. Obviously the page linked to on the website is now gone (how convenient!).

Does anyone have a copy of the page or previous version of the 2013 brochure? The one I now have is dated August 2012 i.e. AFTER we booked.

Bill, I notice (in the thread referred to) that in July 2012, you did state:

"Also, to put your mind at ease, our new 2013 Destination Guide (US and Canada) includes the "50% Land Discoveries" savings program on pages 96 and 97. "

Please can you explain how Azamara can justify this?

I have a 2013 Destination Guide which from memory I picked up on board shortly after the 2013 itineraries were released. It does mention the 50% off Land Discoveries in several places, firstly on the inside front cover where, under the heading “Straightforward value”, it says “For those who book early, we offer up to 50% off brochure rates, and 50% off Land Discoveries booked online at least four days prior to sailing.” There is a second reference on page 97 under the heading “Great savings opportunities” and this is basically a repeat of the first but with the mention that the offer is not available once you board the ship. Lastly, on page 105, under the heading “About Your Voyage” there is quite a long paragraph giving details about how to book, and giving exclusions to the offer, but which also says “Land Discoveries Savings offer (“LDS”) applies to Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest 2013 voyages”.

In my view, if at the time the 2014 itineraries were released they had also announced that the 50% off Land Discoveries offer would not be available then fine, people booking knew from the start that they needed to factor this into their decision, but to allow people to book 2013 thinking that the offer was available (as we did), and then announce it was being removed is, in my opinion, very unfair.

I have a 2013 Destination Guide which from memory I picked up on board shortly after the 2013 itineraries were released. It does mention the 50% off Land Discoveries in several places, firstly on the inside front cover where, under the heading “Straightforward value”, it says “For those who book early, we offer up to 50% off brochure rates, and 50% off Land Discoveries booked online at least four days prior to sailing.” There is a second reference on page 97 under the heading “Great savings opportunities” and this is basically a repeat of the first but with the mention that the offer is not available once you board the ship. Lastly, on page 105, under the heading “About Your Voyage” there is quite a long paragraph giving details about how to book, and giving exclusions to the offer, but which also says “Land Discoveries Savings offer (“LDS”) applies to Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest 2013 voyages”.

In my view, if at the time the 2014 itineraries were released they had also announced that the 50% off Land Discoveries offer would not be available then fine, people booking knew from the start that they needed to factor this into their decision, but to allow people to book 2013 thinking that the offer was available (as we did), and then announce it was being removed is, in my opinion, very unfair.

Your booking is a contract. You promise to pay and they promise to deliver. I do not see how they can unilaterally change the terms of the contract (except for exigent circumstances). Their only "out" would be if the 50% off Land Discoveries package was advertised as "subject to change" or "only available on some sailings." I have not read the literature as I do not do ship excursions but you should look at the precise wording of the promotion. Were these promised as an amenity on every sailing with no end date to the promotion? Or were they advertised as "currently" "for a limited time" or "right now."

As a member of the original "Azamara Cheerleader Squad" it pains me to see the comments of the people who cheered along side me for many years about the Azamara experience.

We never cared for the "shoreside experience" and although much has been done to increase the positive precruise experience (read: the addition of a Chief Blogging Officer) - it does seem to me that changes are being made to the wrong areas of product. Loyal followers who thought themselves as Azamara's target market are now feeling "abandoned and confused".

Recently I planned a trip to the Baltics with a large group of friends that I met onboard various Azamara sailings - we total 8 cabins. Normally I would spend in the neighbourhood of 8K for a 10-12 day sailing - not peanuts for a single in this economy - so imagine our shock and horror when Azamara was outdone pricewise by BOTH Oceania and Seabourn!! OUCH :eek:

Azamara lost 8 cabins of totally devoted patrons, to Oceania - I have yet to grasp why it had to be so. :confused:

Margaret Thatcher had said it best when she commented that the issues facing the world will be solved by "thought" and not by "feelings". Those of us who have "felt" our Azamara bookings in the past because we loved our on-board experience are not immune to "thinking" about the "perils of the pocketbook" when making decisions about our own personal little economic empires.

Azamara executives - take note - we loved the space you created for us and now feel a little abandoned as you leave us for greener pastures. Rethink.

As a member of the original "Azamara Cheerleader Squad" it pains me to see the comments of the people who cheered along side me for many years about the Azamara experience.

We never cared for the "shoreside experience" and although much has been done to increase the positive precruise experience (read: the addition of a Chief Blogging Officer) - it does seem to me that changes are being made to the wrong areas of product. Loyal followers who thought themselves as Azamara's target market are now feeling "abandoned and confused".

Recently I planned a trip to the Baltics with a large group of friends that I met onboard various Azamara sailings - we total 8 cabins. Normally I would spend in the neighbourhood of 8K for a 10-12 day sailing - not peanuts for a single in this economy - so imagine our shock and horror when Azamara was outdone pricewise by BOTH Oceania and Seabourn!! OUCH :eek:

Azamara lost 8 cabins of totally devoted patrons, to Oceania - I have yet to grasp why it had to be so. :confused:

Margaret Thatcher had said it best when she commented that the issues facing the world will be solved by "thought" and not by "feelings". Those of us who have "felt" our bookings in the past because we loved our on-board experience are not immune to "thinking" about the "perils of the pocketbook" when making decisions about our own personal little economic empires.

Azamara executives - take note - we loved the space you created for us and now feel a left behind as you leave us for greener pastures. Rethink.

Magnificent post. That says it all. I do hope the folks at Azamara are paying attention.

Very sorry to say this but I have to agree, our Dec cruise will probably be the last with Azamara.

Eric, I tend to agree with you. It will probably appeal to the wrong sort of people and turn what we like about Azamara to something More like the Bahamas Booze Cruises.

We cant do december as Cancer hit our family after the NYC Rouen cruise.

I hope they revisit this idea. I hope they are not grasping at straws to get more market share.

Hope your home stayed dry under the recent floods.

Your booking is a contract. You promise to pay and they promise to deliver. I do not see how they can unilaterally change the terms of the contract (except for exigent circumstances). Their only "out" would be if the 50% off Land Discoveries package was advertised as "subject to change" or "only available on some sailings." I have not read the literature as I do not do ship excursions but you should look at the precise wording of the promotion. Were these promised as an amenity on every sailing with no end date to the promotion? Or were they advertised as "currently" "for a limited time" or "right now."

As I and others have said before, you are correct;) Only possible clause I can see is the words 'up to' 50% off. It's a standard get-out marketing clause, hope I am wrong because it is just so off, people buy a whole product, not bits of it!

Somehow I do not think you are going to find that Azamara is "Regent without the included excursions." Many Regent cruisers turn their noses up at Oceania or at best will consider only the newer more luxurious Oceania ships.

I do not think you are representative of the Regent cruisers I know. Most won't consider anything but Regent, Crystal or Seabourn -- drinkers or not.

I am going to take that as a complement, because I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at Oceania. And, I am not a snob! From my take on their boards, lots of them do cross over to Oceania. What makes many stay with Regent are the large standard cabins and huge marble bathrooms, no formal nights and strict smoking policy. We found (on the ships) the Regent cruisers to be very down to earth. I think that sets them apart from Seabourn, which strikes me as more elitist. There are lots of people new to Regent who are baby boomers wanting a more luxurious experience than on the mainstream lines. I can easily handle the smaller cabin for a cheaper price. To be honest, Regent isn't THAT much better or different than HAL Prinsendam, one of our favorite ships! As long as the Azamara ships are in better shape than Ocean Princess--of the same original fleet, I'd be happy!

Hello Azamara "New Inclusion" Commenter's -

I want to inform you that I'm still waiting for information and confirmation from our department managers so that I can ensure that my responses to your questions are accurate. On Monday and Tuesday of this week, they participated in our sales meeting introducing these new inclusions and programs to our global sales and management team. Now that it is completed, they will be able to review the content of my responses so that I'll be in a position to respond to your questions on late Thursday and Friday.

I'd be brain-dead not to realize that many of you have reacted negatively to our decision to include call brand spirits/international beers and an AzAmazing Evenings tour. I understand your concern not only about the impact it has had on increasing our tariffs, but also about the potential risk it represents in compromising the onboard atmosphere that you value, appreciate and want to endure. At this time, I realize that I can't change your first-impression about the news of this change but I do believe that if I can provide you with more factual information about these changes that I might be able to open your mind with a better understanding about our decisions. By doing so, then you can make an informed decision before you decide to "jump ship" to another brand.

Remember, I'm tracking and categorizing your attitudes about our decision along with your comments and opinions about 1) discontinuing the 50% Land Discoveries Savings; 2) adding the AzAmazing Evenings program; and 3) including call brand spirits/beers so that I can report them in an objective and quantifiable way to our executive team. As our loyal past guests your opinions are important and valued since your continued patronage is critical to our long-term success. As I prepare this message at 12:45 AM (PDT), there are 228 posts from 90 individual members with 9,672 "views." So my task to assess your comments will be time consuming.

At the same time, we'll be monitoring our booking levels since our goal to generate more "new" Azamara guests to vacation with us now and in the future to keep pace with our growing base of valuable past-guests whose positive word-of-mouth and objective statements about our exceptional onboard experience and compelling value-proposition have contributed to our success.

Our strategy is to grow our brand and to do so, we must grow our new-customer base and these new inclusions will provide us with the opportunity to present a more compelling value-proposition and a tangible demonstration of "destination immersion" through our custom-tailored evening event.

The challenge ahead is provide you with more facts about the new programs that will illustrate that "your" newly soon to be refurbished Azamara vessels will continue to deliver its outstanding and memorable onboard experience with enhanced amenities and with a crew who will be energized by the significant upgrades and enhancements that will be added to their area, since they are our most important asset.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I do hope these decisions are made before I book our 2013 Mediterranean cruise. We were so happy with Azamara and it was our very first cruise...crusing definitely got in our blood and we were so excited to book another cruise with Azamara....in fact, I recommended Azamara to at least 16 people at a recent get together...some of them already have their brochures.

I am actively getting prices and checking other cruise lines, and sadly, I had one on the Journey chosen for September 21, 2013. I don't mind the added alcohol...(we are all adults and drink packages are available, which many chose) people acted responsibly no matter what or how much they drank. I did not see anyone "falling down drunk". What has me the most upset is the 50% off excursions, since we did book 7 of them on our last cruise.

As for people who booked excursions on upcoming cruises, I don't understand how those can be changed.....are they things that are also considered "subject to change"?

I am an outsider looking in. I am cruised only once before, on the Oceania Marina last year, but am booked on a spring 2013 Azamara cruise because of the unique itinerary. I am not going to book multiple cruises or even one cruise each year. If we enjoy our 2013 cruise, the next cruise might be three years later.

It seems obvious that Azamara, which has a passenger capacity of a tad less than 1,400, is trying to increase its profit margins. Based on what I have read, it is selling small ships, destination-focused cruises, happy crews and customers, and a country club casual dress code. Everything else is icing on the cake, though the alcohol-included policy may appeal to those paying even higher fares on the luxury lines.

The Azamara fares have certainly gone up. But the fares are not going up because of the alcohol and special evening policies. They are going up because of profit margin issues. The new offerings are just selling points for fares that were going to go up substantially regardless. Azamara is testing the market. If its cruises sell, the pricing will stay. If the cruises don't sell, the pricing will be adjusted downward.

And what will Oceania do? If Azamara's alcohol-included policy is well received, Oceania will follow suit. But again, Azamara is aggressively testing the market.

Oceania will NOT follow suit with all inclusive liquor..they have the packages and Regent is all inclusive..and last but NOT least Frank Delrio is not a follower

Jancruz1

If you look at the Azamara website, it states that anyone who PREBOOKS excursions for 2013 cruises by March 13, 2013 will get the 50% off fee.

I hope you are correct but in reading Bill email this is what he wrote

In the meantime, the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program will be available for guests who book their Land Discoveries online at least four days prior to the 2013 sailing dates on following last voyages:

§ Azamara Quest - March 14, 2013, 13-night "Florida & Seville" Voyage

§ Azamara Journey - May 1, 2013, 14-night "The Highway from India" Voyage

I am taking it as March 14 for the for the Quest and May 1 for the Journey as the last time the 50% can be used..But I will go back to the website and take a look and as I said I do hope your right.

My hazy recollection is that Azamara previously committed to offering 50% off on all 2013 land discoveries (shore excursions) booked in advance.

Here are a couple of excepts:

From Bill Leiber post: "Also, to put your mind at ease, our new 2013 Destination Guide (US and Canada) includes the "50% Land Discoveries" savings program on pages 96 and 97. "

From Host Andy: "The good news is - the program will return for 2013. I truly hope it will be applicable in your case. Good Luck ! "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656049&highlight=2013+land+discoveries+leiber

Can someone send me a pdf file of pages 96 & 97. My copy seems to be a victim of my most recent clean up. taxjam@aol.com

As background this would not be the first time Azamara attempted to unilaterally cancel its promised 50% off land discoveries program after inducing people had booked. For anyone interested, here is a link to discussion of Azamara's handling of the 2011/2012 Program cancellation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1397821

My hazy recollection is that Azamara previously committed to offering 50% off on all 2013 land discoveries (shore excursions) booked in advance.

Here are a couple of excepts:

From Bill Leiber post: "Also, to put your mind at ease, our new 2013 Destination Guide (US and Canada) includes the "50% Land Discoveries" savings program on pages 96 and 97. "

From Host Andy: "The good news is - the program will return for 2013. I truly hope it will be applicable in your case. Good Luck ! "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656049&highlight=2013+land+discoveries+leiber

Can someone send me a pdf file of pages 96 & 97. My copy seems to be a victim of my most recent clean up. taxjam@aol.com

As background this would not be the first time Azamara attempted to unilaterally cancel its promised 50% off land discoveries program after inducing people had booked. For anyone interested, here is a link to discussion of Azamara's handling of the 2011/2012 Program cancellation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1397821

Here's a link to page on Azamara website where you can see the entire 2013 Destination Guide.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/booking/download-our-brochures

Doug

When the first changes for Azamara Club were announced in 2009, we stated we would return, perhaps less often in view of the price increases at that time.

As it turned out, to date we have managed to select cruises that have allowed us to return a more frequently than we anticipated. We hope this will happen again going forward and we will continue to cruise with Azamara.

Based on our experience, we do not share the conjecture of some who have posted here that we as loyal "Azamarians" are no longer desirable clients.

We sincerely hope that Azamara is successful in sustaining itself, revitalizes Journey and Quest and perhaps builds or acquires additional vessels.

Here's a link to page on Azamara website where you can see the entire 2013 Destination Guide.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/booking/download-our-brochures

Doug

Doug: Thanks, the 2013 brochure clearly states:

Save 50% on Land Discoveries® booked online no later than four days before sailing. Plan ahead and save half by booking Land Discoveries shore excursions online at AzamaraClub ************/LandDiscoveries at least four days prior to departure. This offer is not available once you board the ship.

Is this a case study on how to not treat customers?

I can say without any doubt that this language about "suits" will, without any question, keep us away from Azamara in the future if it isn't rescinded. This is one of the principal reasons why we choose to sail with Azamara: the relaxed dress code. We will go with any line that attracts sophisticated and intelligent passengers who prefer to relax, and that doesn't nickle and dime its passengers for everything. If Azamara wants no longer to be that line then there's a real niche for another company to fill. We'll gladly choose them. Who ARE these folks in Miami dreaming up this nonsense? Seriously...

Doug

Thank you for that. You can download a PDF of the brochure from there.

This is the brochure that was in force when I booked my 2013 cruise. References to the 50% Land Discovery Savings for 2013 cruises are inside front cover, pages 97, 99 and 104. I cannot see any mention of 'subject to change'. I have paid the deposit for the cruise and in the UK this is lost if we choose to cancel.

Bill, I do hope that you will also be reporting back to us on how Azamara thinks that they can get out of this one.

Thank your for your post as it saved me some time typing. Agree with your views 100%

No more 50% discounted excursions: Just do not understand this when Azamara prides itself on being destination focused. We are usually DIY tourers but on our last 2 cruises have taken advantage of this deal. Excellent value particularly in Scandinavia. This change now adds considerable cost if touring is important to you.

Price? This is the big question. For us Azamara occupied a niche and so we didn't consider other lines. We are now looking at the luxury lines again to draw comparisons. We love Azamara and are looking forward to our next cruise in Feb-hopefully it won't be our last.

One final thing-why is Azamara such a big secret? Lots of our friends cruise and yet it is very rare that anyone has ever heard of Azamara. Is this just in the UK? We never receive emails (despite signing up many times) brochures or mailings but are deluged by other cruise lines. I have never been able to get an Azamara brochure in a travel agent. Wouldn't work on this and providing a decent UK website go some way to helping brand awareness and loyalty?

Totally agree - in the UK Azamara is still unknown and it's almost impossible to get a brochure from a travel agent, or even via the website as I have tried on numerous occasions and nothing arrives! We can only get them on ship but they obviously show cruise only fares in dollars. Would be good to get a UK version with prices for cruise only and including flights in British pounds.

Archived