AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

just read through all posts. obviously, the 'enhancements' are not being received as such by many/most loyal AZ customers. also, obvious is that AZ needs to raise prices, poss. even to remain in existence...and doesn't seem to me that anyone (except competitors, that is..) would be happy if they go under (no pun intended, really!). a price increase is inevitable, that seems to be a given, although we dont' know yet by how much.

seems that what AZ was attempting to do pre-price increase announcement (can insert BIG anywhere in those previous 3 words, as likely will apply..) anyway, seems what they were trying to do was make this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT about what the 'trade-off' would be, to make the upcoming price increase more 'palatable' - even if the alcohol brands being offered aren't! - but seems that back-fired, and totally unnecessary, too, imho...they could have/should have just come out with new prices, along with added amenities - all at same time because that's all that's really at issue here: a necessary price increase.

I maybe giving more credit to marketing dept than what is due, but makes me think that maybe, just maybe, this was some kind of 'marketing strategy' to see how these proposed new 'enhancements' would be received. seems not so well...

maybe we can start thinking about what would make a price increase 'more palatable' and keep AZ afloat, figuratively and literally, now, pun intended). not unlimited cheap brand alcohol, not an Azamazing mandatory attendance or get penalized event. IF not these, then what? keep the 50% off LDS/excursions? don't know when they started that discount, but wasn't all that long ago...they should have saved that for now when that kind of offer, if econ. feasible, might be perceived as a true enhancement/trade-off for overall price increase. instead, now that's being taken away... maybe accounting and marketing depts. don't talk to each other...?

stopping here. but might be good to think about and post what, within good econ. reasoning, would be considered an amenity/enhancement/trade-off for the inevitable price increase. AZ nrs. people could then figure out what will work and what won't. keep co. solvent and customers happy. so far, seems they've missed the mark.

I have now had more thoughts regarding the punitive cancellation charges for the so-called Azmazing evening excursions. Even if the actual excursion is of interest, we are unlikely to sign up.

Our cruise in 2013 is port intensive with no sea-days. With no 50% LDS we will be DIY-ing in every port. How do we know at 10 pm the previous day how we're going to feel the following evening? Possibly pretty tired & my back may have given up. How can we risk being CHARGED 300 USD (for 2 of us) if we are unable to attend?

I appreciate that Az do need to have some assurance that people will turn up for a pre-booked tour but to charge 150 USD pp is unacceptable. :mad:

OK to clarify, if you book a normal excursion and feel a bit tired or your back hurts, do Azamara give you a refund? Only ask because I have seen many complaints about people not getting refunds from many other cruiselines, some with existing problems who have been told to claim it from their own insurance. I expect the best thing to do is not sign up for the evening one unless you are sure you want to go. You can sign up when you get to the ship and cancel up to a day before, I think I read somewhere.

I understand that the 50% offer is valid on Quest sailings up to mid march and Journey up to April. They are apparently 'phasing it out'.

Below is my little addendum to all this discussion, not aimed at anyone just saving on posts.

First the increase in prices is the real issue and it has been mentioned that, with refits, the fact they are not making a profit, something had to give. It is also a fact that special events cruises sell out fast eg Monaco GP, only suites left for 2013 and they are putting the Journey and Quest in the area in 2014 to meet up for the event. So Azamara are moving around 'events' to increase numbers of pre booked. From a business perspective getting as many people as possible to book as far as possible, makes a case to keep a business going, bums on seats! So TA's will now, regardless of what anyone thinks, be reserving their botties off and pushing Azamara for this month, possibly with incentives.

All the objections to open bar, evening excursions, are relative to an individuals situation. Personnally, I could object to evening entertainment as we never go, ever! Random music around the ship is nice. Childrens facilities (not Azamara I know), free tenders, if you don't use them, all that meat if your a veggie, in my case free wine, don't like it much. Nor do we do official tours, although the idea of a ship wide event is fine, because that is all it is, but based ashore at a real local happening. I could also object to loyalty clubs giving regulars free drinks, money off, all the whatevers etc. that comes with the deal, because everybody pays for them to have special treatment. So unless we are all going to start living in a true communist state, when all is truely equal, we have to accept that sometimes it's just not fair! So what! swings and roundabouts, that's life;)

here's a start: recently returned from Quest sailing, we had one night grand buffet (may have been called 'white-night') - it was great! very nice affair. maybe AZ can do a couple of those per cruise, nr. dep. on length of cruise, where there is an open bar - and, OK, w/limited brands. those who want premium, pay a little more. bring aboard good, local cultural entertainment group, feature local cuisine - this is what was done, all beautifully done, incl. beautiful bar set-up - but was not open bar on that cruise. everyone I talkd to, thought it was a great evening! so, maybe ido this more often - WITH open bar. would consider that a nice amenity! probably/possibly even less costly than total AI and quite sure, much less costly to bring aboard GOOD local entertainment vs. taking 700+ passengers off-ship to some local event that not everyone is going to like or want to do. Plus, being onboard, passengers can participate however much they want - at their choosing. pay upcharge (small, please!) for premium brands, that's what you want, drink or don't drink, stay for entertainment or not. could be done at lunchtime on sea day or dinner, any time. just an idea.

(btw, I am in favor of the AI concept w/brands as mentioned OK - but w/allowance, small upcharge for premium. AND, I am not 20, 30, 40, or even 50yrs old - nor am I a drunk, alcoholic, either! just enjoy a cocktail or 2 poolside, as well as evenings. I'm in favor of the AI concept, but willing to 'give that up' if it would mean less in cruise price increase). would willingly 'give up' the Azamazing Evening Outing, without hesitation - stupid idea overall, imho.

I had a day to think this over and have not changed my mind but I do need to say we all want to keep Azamara profitable and I believe most would understand a price increase costs go up. What I saw in Azamara price increase from 2013 to 2014 was a drastic increase and this is even going to rise again next month because of the new so called enhancements. It is at this point I said to myself this is no longer a value regardless of what AZ offers I accept that it is now out of my price range. I would not of had a problem with a $300 -$400 increase from one year to the next but AZ shot passed that.

I first started to cruise on Az last November and in looking at all the luxury lines they were either to expensive or including things I did not want to pay for in the price and then I found Az which was a perfect fit and offered us value, a much better cruise experience then a mass market line and the best service I ever had on a cruise ship...By the time we finished our first cruise we were hooked and quickly booked another cruise in 2013. I do not expect AZ to come down in price they might tweak the so called enhancements but I am a realist and now accept that I had one wonderful cruise and another one coming up and take it at that and move on.

I have read some posts here that say Azamara needs to increase their prices poss. even to remain in existence. I would like to know where I can find this info about Azamara being in the red or close to it?

You would have to dig around in RCCL results,

they tend to lump RCI,X,ACC and the others in the main stuff.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-irhome

I maybe giving more credit to marketing dept than what is due, but makes me think that maybe, just maybe, this was some kind of 'marketing strategy' to see how these proposed new 'enhancements' would be received. seems not so well...

The marketing department continues to make bad decisions (based on the fact the company is not profitable with many cruises not selling out), yet there seems to be no consequences. HAL's Veendam recently failed a CDC inspection (after having a great one when we disembarked earlier this year), and as reported apparently the consequences were swift with high level officers being relieved of their duties.

I had a day to think this over and have not changed my mind but I do need to say we all want to keep Azamara profitable and I believe most would understand a price increase costs go up. What I saw in Azamara price increase from 2013 to 2014 was a drastic increase and this is even going to rise again next month because of the new so called enhancements. It is at this point I said to myself this is no longer a value regardless of what AZ offers I accept that it is now out of my price range. I would not of had a problem with a $300 -$400 increase from one year to the next but AZ shot passed that.

I first started to cruise on Az last November and in looking at all the luxury lines they were either to expensive or including things I did not want to pay for in the price and then I found Az which was a perfect fit and offered us value, a much better cruise experience then a mass market line and the best service I ever had on a cruise ship...By the time we finished our first cruise we were hooked and quickly booked another cruise in 2013. I do not expect AZ to come down in price they might tweak the so called enhancements but I am a realist and now accept that I had one wonderful cruise and another one coming up and take it at that and move on.

I feel the same way. As costs (fuel, food, labor, etc.) go up, I can accept that fares have to go up. [i don't buy that I should pay more because a cruise line has to repaint a ship or replace a carpet. Regular maintenance is a cost of doing business, whether you're a cruise line, hotel, restaurant, liquor store, or whatever.] What I think people find objectionable is the shell game of giving an event that many don't want while taking away a discount (shore excursions) that many took advantage of, and then using that as an excuse to raise prices significantly. The other so-called enhancement purportedly justifying the big price increase is the free bottom-shelf liquor which does little or nothing for many of us, and for some is perceived even as a negative.

Probably the dumbest thing was all the hype to promote the big, grand, wonderful announcement only to find it was as much a takeaway (no discounted excursions; much higher prices) as an enhancement. All the "bespokes" out of Edie's mouth are not only not going to convince many of us to the contrary and, worse, are now easy targets of mockery.

Exactly. I don't think Azamara believes that these new enhancements justify a huge price increase. Rather, I think Azamara was looking for a way to raise prices as I suspect they are under pressure to improve (or create) profitability

This is obvious, but the marketing strategy (including the continual "50% off of brochure rates") is treating passengers/clients like they are stupid and do not realize this.

I have read some posts here that say Azamara needs to increase their prices poss. even to remain in existence. I would like to know where I can find this info about Azamara being in the red or close to it?

Ok I can't find the base doc I read but, inflation is approx 3% and fuel has increased by 30% (only US subsidises fuel), commodities/food has increased by about 20% and an expected shortage in many areas caused by freak weather is expected to put the prices up further.

I agree that increases of the amount that is being talked about is extreme, has anyone looked at how much all other lines have increased by.

However, the cheapest you could get my OV Monaco for in pounds, was £1,190 GTY, approx up to £1,300 with some agents. The current prices if you book now for 2014 are $2,049 which is £1,272. No change of any interest that I can see, just added benefits with the new scheme. I have not worked it out properly but its either an increase of approx 6% (2 years in line with inflation averages)or a decrease depending on where and when you booked.

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/find-voyages-by-port/sttropez-france_LTT?num_records=10&sort_by=price-asc

I feel the same way. As costs (fuel, food, labor, etc.) go up, I can accept that fares have to go up. [i don't buy that I should pay more because a cruise line has to repaint a ship or replace a carpet. Regular maintenance is a cost of doing business, whether you're a cruise line, hotel, restaurant, liquor store, or whatever.] What I think people find objectionable is the shell game of giving an event that many don't want while taking away a discount (shore excursions) that many took advantage of, and then using that as an excuse to raise prices significantly. The other so-called enhancement purportedly justifying the big price increase is the free bottom-shelf liquor which does little or nothing for many of us, and for some is perceived even as a negative.

Probably the dumbest thing was all the hype to promote the big, grand, wonderful announcement only to find it was as much a takeaway (no discounted excursions; much higher prices) as an enhancement. All the "bespokes" out of Edie's mouth are not only not going to convince many of us to the contrary and, worse, are now easy targets of mockery.

Have you watched any of the online destination videos, and what did you think?

From Oceania new itineraries thru May 2014 (not out yet but I have them)

For the first time in our history, Oceania Cruises is offering FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities to all of your clients who book any of our new winter cruises by December 31, 2012.

A very interesting discussion. The comments have been very interesting.

On a positive note, hats off to Larry Pimentel, and our very special Bill Leiber, for creating such a strong sense of loyalty to the ACC brand. Obviously many posters really do care about the experience on board.

In a perhaps saccharine sense, the ship-board term "welcome home" really had meaning for us. Concerning the present issue, unfortunately for the cruise line, the term "home" also engendered a certain amount of nostalgia for a cruise line whose services really matched what we wanted. Thus, for us personally, we feel almost viscerally disappointed when they are changed.

However, ACC must run as a business and, given the positive reviews, it is no surprise that the law of supply and demand would come into play and that prices would rise. Unfortunately, as some suggest, it feels like the "enhancements" are simply a cover for said increases and, as I stated, we preferred things the way they were.

A final comment, although Oceania appears to be the obvious substitute, we stll find itineraries on ACC that simply aren't matched. Where the itineraries seem rather generic, as in the Baltics, the choice of ACC is more questionable on a purely rational basis. But my reaction to the "enhancements" suggest emotions are playing a role here as well.

Sad to say, but, after walking away from Oceania (Az's main competitor IMHO) some years ago because we prefered Azamara due to warmth of crew AND price, we are now reconsidering Oceania as the cost will be about the same. Oceania may even be less when we hear about the full 2014 increases on Az.

I feel like we have been tossed a crumb (if the wine wasn't enough and we thought it was, booze was already abundant with all the AZ returning-guest parties and the 50% excursions were reasonable) in exchange for huge price increases and losing our main reasons for choosing Az. Waiting to see how this goes. ddcruiser

From Oceania new itineraries thru May 2014 (not out yet but I have them)

For the first time in our history, Oceania Cruises is offering FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities to all of your clients who book any of our new winter cruises by December 31, 2012.

How do their prices look compared to the 2013 itineraries?

Do you know when the rest of 2014 are set to be released?

Do you know when the rest of 2014 are set to be released?

I really l have not taken the time to compare. Remember, they include air (which we always decline) and the deduction varies by itinerary.

I believe you have to wait for March to get the rest of 2014. Azamara releases itineraries further in advance than does O.

Everything will be on O's website on 10/10. The free gratuities is a first for all bookings and is combinable with anything else your TA will give you.

Figure I would put in my 2 cents...

Overall I do not see any value for me or DH in the new enhancements.

AzAmazing Evening events ashore: neutral to slightly negative

I would only attend if I am interested. DH probably would skip.

No more 50% Land Discovery savings: negative

I am a planner and always book excursions ahead and can enjoy the 50% savings. Even with the 50% off, Azamara is a few dollars more expensive than private tours, but I still book with Azamara because it offers me the convenience of not having to arranging things on my own. I will continue to price compare ship vs private tours, but since with 50% off the price of Azamara is similar to private, what are the chances that at 100% Azamara would be competitively priced?

Expansion of complimentary beverages: neutral

While DH would now change from having a glass of wine with dinner to having a beer, it would not change our drinking habit. We are not big drinkers and just because drinks are free won't change that. Besides I would rather "spend" the calories on food instead of alcohol.

Price increase: negative

Well, since the new enhancements are of little value to me, any price increase would not be worth it to me. I value port immersions and will continue to trade off base on ports and duration in ports between Azamara and other cruise lines, but not sure where the breaking point is at this time. We will see after the price increase takes effect on November 1.

When I told DH about the enhancements/changes, his reaction (playfully) was that Azamara must not want us "riff-raffs" to cruise with them anymore.

Wow - I just compared prices on one March 2014 cruise - 21 days Rio to Miami. Price is less than 2013 and gratuities are included to boot.

I do not know if that is true across the board

Everything will be on O's website on 10/10. The free gratuities is a first for all bookings and is combinable with else your TA will give you.

But only included if you book by a certain date. It is not yet available to everyone on every cruise whenever you book, a la Azamara.

here's a start: recently returned from Quest sailing, we had one night grand buffet (may have been called 'white-night') - it was great! very nice affair. maybe AZ can do a couple of those per cruise, nr. dep. on length of cruise, where there is an open bar - and, OK, w/limited brands. those who want premium, pay a little more. bring aboard good, local cultural entertainment group, feature local cuisine - this is what was done, all beautifully done, incl. beautiful bar set-up - but was not open bar on that cruise. everyone I talkd to, thought it was a great evening! so, maybe ido this more often - WITH open bar. would consider that a nice amenity! probably/possibly even less costly than total AI and quite sure, much less costly to bring aboard GOOD local entertainment vs. taking 700+ passengers off-ship to some local event that not everyone is going to like or want to do. Plus, being onboard, passengers can participate however much they want - at their choosing. pay upcharge (small, please!) for premium brands, that's what you want, drink or don't drink, stay for entertainment or not. could be done at lunchtime on sea day or dinner, any time. just an idea.

(btw, I am in favor of the AI concept w/brands as mentioned OK - but w/allowance, small upcharge for premium. AND, I am not 20, 30, 40, or even 50yrs old - nor am I a drunk, alcoholic, either! just enjoy a cocktail or 2 poolside, as well as evenings. I'm in favor of the AI concept, but willing to 'give that up' if it would mean less in cruise price increase). would willingly 'give up' the Azamazing Evening Outing, without hesitation - stupid idea overall, imho.

They have have the "white night" parties for a long time now. They are great and well attended.

We were planning a trip in March 2014 with some friends from the US who we met on Azamara. We love the line, the fellow passengers, the itineraries and crew. We just love the whole thing.

I cannot begin to tell you how crestfallen we are, and are totally confused by this "announcement". There is no upside.

I am keen for Azamara to make profit, but in making this decision, they will potentially destroy a large part of their core customer base who simply cannot afford the price. The hike, even taking into account increasing fuel cost, port charges, salaries etc. is way beyond reasonable, and although we both drink, we would not subsidise others if we didnt out of principle. That is the plain fact in my eyes. The price hike doesnt seem reasonable.

We will have to re-think this now, as a balcony cabin on the cruise we want is $6657 each. Nearly £9000 excluding flights, hotels and spend.

Please Bill, go back to Larry and tell him this is not going to work for a lot of folks. There has to be another way.

David

"However, the cheapest you could get my OV Monaco for in pounds, was £1,190 GTY, approx up to £1,300 with some agents. The current prices if you book now for 2014 are $2,049 which is £1,272. No change of any interest that I can see, just added benefits with the new scheme. I have not worked it out properly but its either an increase of approx 6% (2 years in line with inflation averages)or a decrease depending on where and when you booked"

Hi HudandPug

All the prices I've seen so far in the UK are "cruise only" for 2014, compared with fly/cruise prices in the past. Are you comparing like with like? Adding on return air fares and a probable overnight hotel stay would make a big difference. You also seem to be converting your dollars to pounds at a rate of around $1.6 to £1 - I suspect that it is unlikely that Azamara would convert at that rate.

For an oceanview cabin on the 4 night Monaco cruise in 2014, cruise only, the lowest price I could find from a UK TA was £1374. Adding on flights and a hotel would increase this by several hundred pounds. [unless a LoCo airline is used which rather defeats the object of an upmarket cruise!] :)

With the pre paid gratuities change, it looks to me like they are "following":)

Not really. Included gratuities are not new for Oceania. Certain TAs offer them routinely as they get the perk from O. As i posted earlier, I have never paid extra fro gratuities on O.

The free gratuities here is a limited promotion (you have to book by 12/12) and it will then go away. They could just as easily have said $300 off or $500 additional discount for booking early (the way the river cruise lines do).

Archived