AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

We have done 7 AZ cruises, have 2 booked for 2013 and 2 open passages. Following are our thoughts on the pending changes:

1. Complimentary night tour: Negative

Firstly I do not regard this as “complimentary” since I will have paid for it in my cruise fare and have no choice about that. From what I have seen on other posts, and Azamara’s own announcement, the suggested tours hold little interest for us – the Florence concert might be OK but I have no interest in spending the afternoon in leather and balsamic vinegar factories. After spending a long day sight-seeing, the thought of being herded on to buses to go to something we are less than enthusiastic about is unappealing. If AZ is convinced that these tours are so great that everyone will want to attend, why not take the cost out of the cruise fare and add it on as an optional shore excursion? At least that way people will have the choice about whether or not they want to participate, rather than going just because they have paid for it.

Secondly, in order to use up our open passages, we are looking at b2b cruises in the spring of 2014. Both of these itineraries visit Florence for two days. Does this mean we are likely to have the same event on both cruises and be expected to pay for it twice, when we are unlikely to want to go even once?

2. Charging penalty for non-cancellation: Negative

As other posters have said, how can you charge people a cancellation fee for not going to something they have already paid for. Effectively they are then paying twice. This is treating people like children and is frankly insulting.

3. Included extra alcohol: Neutral

We are unlikely to take much advantage of this, other than perhaps swapping a beer for the wine at lunch, and we do not think that most people will tend to overindulge - after all they could do that now with the wine and it is not something we have noticed. On the other hand, everyone’s wishes could be met by simply adding these extra drinks as a discretionary package.

4. Discontinuation of 50% off Land Discoveries: Negative

Now this really does make me mad!!!! We booked our 2013 cruises on the understanding that the 50% Land Discoveries would be available. On our last two cruises we only did a few excursions on our first cruise, but one nearly every day on the second. This was because the first went to ports where it was easy to get public transport, the second focussed on smaller places where it was more difficult to get where we wanted to go without organising private tours (something we do not want to do.) From the small number of people we observed at the shore excursion desk, compared to the number of people on the tours, it strongly suggests to us that the majority of people were taking advantage of the beneficial pricing by booking ahead of the cruise. Most people we spoke to commented that they felt the 50% off pricing was reasonable but the 100% pricing was very high and this was also our view. Our 2013 cruises come into the category of smaller ports and it was our intention to do excursions most days – if the pricing is to be at the 100% level then we will have to rethink this completely, something we are not happy about. If AZ is serious about its “destination immersion” then in our view they should provide the means of getting to the more out of the way places at a reasonable cost.

5. New pricing: Neutral at present

Until we see what these increases are, and how they compare to their competitors, it is impossible to make a judgement on what we will do in the future. For the moment we will complete our 2013 cruises, use up our open passages, but will not make any future bookings, nor will we purchase any further open passages.

Like many other posters on this board we have thoroughly enjoyed our AZ cruises, in part because we like the small ships, the people we meet on board and the places we go, but to a large extent because of the wonderful crew. We will truly miss them if we end up cruising with someone else in the future but there comes a point when the pricing is such that we no longer feel we are getting value for our money – in particular when something we felt was a good benefit is removed and things we don’t want are added.

We truly hope AZ will listen to its loyal repeat customers and rethink some of these decisions.

I have been waiting a few days for the dust to settle (if that is possible) and to see if there was any more updates on this. In this time, we have been doing some thinking about our 2014 plans as we have an Azamara trip coming up and we had planned two onboard bookings.

So where are we now in our thinking?

We have a finite budget for 2014, a bucket list of destinations and three windows of opportunity to cruise. We wanted to follow the pattern we have applied since last year, 2 cruises in Azamara in suites and a third shorter trip on Celebrity in Aqua each year, which we hoped would be our pattern over the next five years

Is this likely to happen now - I suspect not

Why?

Setting aside the cost increase due to inflationary pressures our budget is being pushed by a cost increase for other reasons

Biggest for us is the loss of 50% reduction in cost of the price loaded shore excursions. As others have said, ship excursions can remove pressures and in our very busy lives (busy = earning = cruise spends ) this has value to us. My calculation is based on our upcoming cruise there is an additional cost for a 10 night 8 port cruise of $800 min for the two of us with this change. Even if we remove the loading I highlighted previously, the cost addition is still not insignificant.

We are neutral about the extra free alcohol, we might partake we might not but as we are in a suite with the 4 half bottles, there is only so much we can drink and on the rare occasions I want a drink whilst sunbathing I either change location to sunbathe on our balcony or I buy a drink

I am also neutral about the Azamazing night, herded shopping experiences built into them do not appeal, however musical offering do, so this one could very easily tip to positive.

Price increases generally - the published brochure prices in the UK a few weeks ago had me at my tipping point, however, with the news that enhancements were coming along plus a recognition of inflation,I could rationalise these. However news that if I do not book before November there will be another (unspecified) price increase, well, the weight just tipped the scales.

Unlike those in the USA, once we book this month, penalties can start to kick in, we cannot book and hope to access a 2013 published price deal that involves flights perks, we are in and locked into that deal which at the moment for 2014 has no flight deals or anything. Business economics will say, well that's the way things are, my economics unfortunately say there is another way.

We will have three cruises, one might be in an Azamara suite, one is likely to be with Celebrity, the shorter third one might be in a lower category room with Azamara or we might experiment with another brand - and there is the biggest risk for Azamara and the wider RCI brands.

We have been Celebrity/Azamara cruisers since our second cruise and have placed a lot of dollars into the pension funds of many staff along the way. Our last few Celebrity cruises have been ok or good not great, so previously our intention had been to switch 100% Azamara. We had not previously thought about looking elsewhere -we had also taken friends to Azamara whom we had introduced to Celebrity and who were also not happy there now, they were going to book for 2014 but have already said they are priced out and are looking at other companies.

I appreciate Azamara may be very confident of their brand experience, yes life onboard is absolutely excellent and we personally also enjoy great service from the team in the UK, but friendly faces and feeling at home only has some value, not infinite value.

Personally, I also do not like how some of the changes have been communicated, as others have rightly said, Azamara, your target customer is the intelligent professional, so communicate with us on that basis and not through spin speak (Bill we appreciate you are only cutting and pasting in scripts issued to you)

Therefore the economics in summary are, despite your price increases, we expect our dollar spend with Azamara to reduce could be significantly or if you are very very lucky stay neutral (so no increased revenue stream for us as you probably hoped) and if we found another home, we could be gone in two years.

However, our door is open for this month....... Convince me, not onboard, but through economics and communicate to me as an intelligent professional not with fluffy spin but transparent honesty. Hey, if you had said to me, our prices are rising because of oil costs etc I would have understood, I might still have had to look at trading down rooms but you would still have had my 100% respect. But to dress it up and try and hide it, no sorry

Burma is on my Bucket list. Comparison of prices:

2012. 11n in V3 £1981pp

2013. 14n in V3 £3318pp but this is over Christmas so I accept a premium

2014. 13n in V3 £3256pp NOT over Christmas.

And this is before the price hike. No way. Drat wishing I had holiday left for this year as 2012 price seems like a steal.:cool:

Hello Azamara "New Inclusion" Commenter's -

I want to inform you that I'm still waiting for information and confirmation from our department managers so that I can ensure that my responses to your questions are accurate. On Monday and Tuesday of this week, they participated in our sales meeting introducing these new inclusions and programs to our global sales and management team. Now that it is completed, they will be able to review the content of my responses so that I'll be in a position to respond to your questions on late Thursday and Friday.

I'd be brain-dead not to realize that many of you have reacted negatively to our decision to include call brand spirits/international beers and an AzAmazing Evenings tour. I understand your concern not only about the impact it has had on increasing our tariffs, but also about the potential risk it represents in compromising the onboard atmosphere that you value, appreciate and want to endure. At this time, I realize that I can't change your first-impression about the news of this change but I do believe that if I can provide you with more factual information about these changes that I might be able to open your mind with a better understanding about our decisions. By doing so, then you can make an informed decision before you decide to "jump ship" to another brand.

Remember, I'm tracking and categorizing your attitudes about our decision along with your comments and opinions about 1) discontinuing the 50% Land Discoveries Savings; 2) adding the AzAmazing Evenings program; and 3) including call brand spirits/beers so that I can report them in an objective and quantifiable way to our executive team. As our loyal past guests your opinions are important and valued since your continued patronage is critical to our long-term success. As I prepare this message at 12:45 AM (PDT), there are 228 posts from 90 individual members with 9,672 "views." So my task to assess your comments will be time consuming.

At the same time, we'll be monitoring our booking levels since our goal to generate more "new" Azamara guests to vacation with us now and in the future to keep pace with our growing base of valuable past-guests whose positive word-of-mouth and objective statements about our exceptional onboard experience and compelling value-proposition have contributed to our success.

Our strategy is to grow our brand and to do so, we must grow our new-customer base and these new inclusions will provide us with the opportunity to present a more compelling value-proposition and a tangible demonstration of "destination immersion" through our custom-tailored evening event.

The challenge ahead is provide you with more facts about the new programs that will illustrate that "your" newly soon to be refurbished Azamara vessels will continue to deliver its outstanding and memorable onboard experience with enhanced amenities and with a crew who will be energized by the significant upgrades and enhancements that will be added to their area, since they are our most important asset.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hi Bill,

thank you for responding. I am sure that you will be preparing a response to our reactions.

A key issue appears to be the dropping of the 50% discount for shore excursions.

We booked our June 2013 cruise this June & I was sure at the time that the 50% LDS would apply to our cruise. I have been searching these forums as I was unable to obtain a brochure at the time & I have found this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656049 I cannot see any response from yourself or anyone else representing Azamara that this was about to change. Obviously the page linked to on the website is now gone (how convenient!).

Does anyone have a copy of the page or previous version of the 2013 brochure? The one I now have is dated August 2012 i.e. AFTER we booked.

Bill, I notice (in the thread referred to) that in July 2012, you did state:

"Also, to put your mind at ease, our new 2013 Destination Guide (US and Canada) includes the "50% Land Discoveries" savings program on pages 96 and 97. "

Please can you explain how Azamara can justify this?

Although I have been cruising for 20 years with over 10 different cruise lines, I have only just taken my first Azamara cruise. I found the ACC product to be just what I wanted from a cruise and purchased a future cruise deposit, which I am now begining to regret due to the severe price increases.

The so called 'enhancements' offer nothing for me. I enjoyed the wines with lunch and dinner and maybe with an open bar my husband might substitute wine for a beer at lunch and maybe I might have a cocktail in the evening and cut down on wine at dinner but there is no way I could consume any more alcohol.

The thought of a group excursion for 700 people fills me with horror.

I am not a fan of organised excursions but did look at the on-line prices (50% off) for my Azamara cruise and I found the prices to be similar to other cruises lines, but the book on board prices were simply a joke.

A couple of questions for Bill:

Will the open bar policy included "fancy" cocktails e.g. Singapore Sling, Margaritas, Mai Tai or just mixed drinks e.g. Gin & Tonic, Whisky & Soda etc?

Will there be only one evening excursion for all 700 passenger or will there be a choice of serveral throughout the cruise, thus reducing the numbers participating on each excursion?

In Europe it is relatively easy, with the help of the internet to do your own thing, but in some parts of the world excursions are a must due to various factors such as security, language, the distance from the port to the city etc. I was considering a Far East Cruise with Azamara in 2014 but now this not an option due to the increase prices for cruise and excursions.

Unfortunately Azamara Administration has failed to recognise the type of guests they are attracting. Those that return repeatedly,who with gusto by word of mouth advertise your brand. Attracting "like" folk to cruise with Azamara is our goal.As a result there is a great harmony amongst guests.

It is our goodwill which helps grow your brand. We offer this gladly in recognition for the wonderful service we receive from the wonderful staff and Crew that we hold close to our hearts.It is they that make your success and your administration fails to acknowledge this in the true business sense.

Your unique guests make up a large portion overlooked in the Travel industry which I had thought Azamara recognised. I was wrong.

The majority of Azamara guests whilst savvy of the modern world are certainly not "up market". We are not posh or flashy, we love your dress code.Neither are we loud or rude, we are polite and respectful and love good conversation.Extra alcohol is not for us, we can have great fun and laughter without it. We are gourmet's. We love the excellent food and the Sommelier's carefully chosen boutique wine followed by delicious Espresso coffee.

Otherwise our requirements ultra comfort, good itineraries and after a days sightseeing to have that feeling of warmth of coming back to our Azamara Home.

Our style is not of the Regent, Crystal Lines etc and that is not our wish for Azamara. Azamara has style and class which is understated yet creates a special atmosphere and appeal to a very discerning group of guests.

Please keep it that way and the costing proportionately likewise.

Why change a good thing when it is working well, up to this point there has been nothing but praise.

We agree wholeheartedly with the above.

Having just returned from August / September, back to back cruises, Venice to Barcelona on Quest and leaving behind once again all the wonderful guests and staff that we now call friends, it saddens me to think that what we truly believed was the greatest little cruise line in the world is now imploding before our very eyes.

Please don't let it happen as we want to be on the Black Sea Cruise in 2014 with many of those that we have previously sailed with.

It frightens me, that if we do turn up, we will be alone, not so much that there will not be other guests, just not the ones, who have grown to love Azamara for what it currently is and what the staff have worked so hard for.

That is, the best two small ships in the World as voted for by us!

Darryl and Joan, New Zealand.

The thought of a group excursion for 700 people fills me with horror.[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...me too!!

Who knows. Maybe they'll lay on free bingo and karaoke on the coach for the return to the ship

Thank you for your initial response to our many concerns Bill and I await your future comments with interest. Can I just add though, you say Azamara's goal is to generate more "new" Azamara guests. My husband and I are "new" Azamara guests, due to sail with you for the first time in November. We chose Azamara as a result of all the many great comments on this, and other, cruise forums and after reading in depth about the Azamara brand, we thought we had found the perfect cruiseline for us from all aspects, and hoped that our November cruise would, God willing, be the start of many happy holidays with you. Now however it looks as though you have just lost this "new" customer before she's even set sail :(

Zennor - we have a copy of the 2013 brochure which we got on our last cruise with Azamara in Jan/Feb 2012. I went into the website yesterday to checkout 2 cruises we would consider doing a b2b on in June and the prices have increased $600 and $500 per person!!

Koalapanda says it all!!!

Azamara has a loyal customer base --- you don't want to lose them!!

Bill,

firstly thank you for your reply, which as usual is well thought through and is written with a sensitive and sensible hand.

I understand from your post that you are compiling reactions and will present these to your line managers at Azamara shortly. In turn you will then come back to us with an update. I do feel though in reading your post that the tone is very much that the die is cast.

"......then you can make an informed decision before you decide to "jump ship" to another brand". That statement doesnt exactly fill me with hope that you will rescind any or all of the 'upgrades'. I pray that you do otherwise I am really sorry to say that I wont be back. I cant aford it, plain and simple.

In my previous post I may not have been clear on the three things you are tracking, so for clarity:-

1) discontinuing the 50% Land Discoveries Savings - This doesnt really bother me too much as I tend to do my own thing, even in far flung places.

2) adding the AzAmazing Evenings program - 101% not for us. I am also filled with dread at the thought.

3) including call brand spirits/beers - we drink, but as an example one of my friends from the US who we'd planned to hook up with on board is T total. Is this fair? This I believe is the biggest mistake by a considerable distance.

Look forward to seeing your response Bill.

David

A key issue appears to be the dropping of the 50% discount for shore excursions.

There is a longer standing problem, many excursions cancelled due to lack of interest/bookings.

This may be that at 50% they were OK price but at 100% once onboard to pricy to attract any new pax to the tours so if the pre booking failed to meet the numbers forget it.

Not every one like to pre book and with the number of tours on offer and the no of pax some ports the tours were spread too thin.

The trick to getting pre bookings up is to fill the tours so people begin to realize they have to pre book for their next trip.

pre booking finding a tour is cancelled just pushes people to DIY next time to save the risk of it happening again

Pricing is the key, for a well educated independant traveller you have to price at close to a DIY version with the premium/profit no so much that it encourages people to DIY.

As I said before the trick to higher revenues is discount less due to higher bookings.

Same with the shore ex, fill the tours and then start putting up prices.

Make sure that all the tours are quality to fill them.

If the dropping of the 50% program results in good pricing for both pre book and onboard booking then that will be fine, if the pricing just reverts to the 100% current prices might as well just drop excusions as more will DIY due to over priced shorex.

Allthough the intention seems to be to attract a new customer base that looks for more inclusive the way to get your existing pax to pay more than they are used to is to fill the ships with the new ones first so the discounting disapears.

There is a longer standing problem, many excursions cancelled due to lack of interest/bookings.

This may be that at 50% they were OK price but at 100% once onboard to pricy to attract any new pax to the tours so if the pre booking failed to meet the numbers forget it.

Not every one like to pre book and with the number of tours on offer and the no of pax some ports the tours were spread too thin.

The trick to getting pre bookings up is to fill the tours so people begin to realize they have to pre book for their next trip.

Precisely. We ended up having to book a Private tour as we didn't know if a ship excursion (that we had pre-booked at 50%) was going to run. But the there was very little publicity about the 50% LDS offline. I only knew about it via the forum. I didn't receive any emails or letters about it once we had booked reminding us to pre-book & get our 50% discount. I should think large numbers of passengers just didn't know about it.

Also, as numerous posts here show, there was lots of confusion about the pricing as the online system wasn't geared up for it. Excursions were often displayed in the downloadable PDF as 50%, & then initially online as 100% & only 50% when selected.

I still think it was a great promotion - just needed promoting to customers who had booked. :)

Zennor - we have a copy of the 2013 brochure which we got on our last cruise with Azamara in Jan/Feb 2012.!!

And does it mention the 50% discount on pre-booked excursions? I've just realised that the one I picked up last week dated Aug 2012 actually states (inside front cover) "All our voyages include a complimentary night event...." - it's the same that can now be viewed online on the UK site http://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/find-and-book-cruises/brochures/

Complimentary Night Tour - positive. I think a signature event sounds wonderful. I'm sure Azamara has considered the logistics and has designed events that can accommodate all passengers with ease. This won't be group touring. I expect that coaches will be used only to transport passengers to the venue and then the event will unfold. As mentioned previously, I think we got a little taste of something similar on our President's Cruise earlier this year when Azamara hosted a shore side event at an ancient fort in Manila. We were invited to explore the fort at our leisure and then to enjoy live theatre, dance performances, local "street" food, open bar and fireworks. Most passengers attended, nobody felt herded and everybody loved the experience.

Charging Penalty for No-Shows on Night Tour - negative. I think this is petty and greedy. Azamara will already have the cost of the signature event built into their new pricing, so charging a no-show will be a double hit. It's very disingenuous to invite a valued "guest" to a special event and then turn around to collect if they don't attend.

Included Alcohol - positive. We are mostly wine drinkers so we could easily be neutral here. DH enjoys Scotch and I will have the odd Lemon Drop Martini, but that's about it. But having sailed on luxury lines, we felt a certain ambiance with all-inclusive that doesn't exist otherwise. No, there are no crazy drunks and no ship-wide rowdiness. But there is a lively atmosphere, bars are full, people are socializing, staff are engaged. It's fun! Kinda like having Happy Hour or Le Club Voyage cocktails all the time. We very much enjoyed it.

Discontinuing 50% Land Discoveries - negative. This makes no sense to me. Why would a destination-driven cruise line charge inflated prices for generic tours that are available on mainstream lines for less? This is an area where I think Azamara isn't yet delivering. They seriously need to develop unique tours not available elsewhere that would justify a return to non-discounted pricing. Introducing a signature night tour is a step in the right direction but much work still needs to be done. Azamara is not the only cruise line offering longer stays and overnights, no matter what they advertise! I think they should stick with the 50% discount until they have better excursions to offer.

New Pricing - neutral. This is the great unknown. But I am a bit surprised that 2014 prices will be increasing, since they were only released last week and are already significantly higher.

Bottom Line - mostly positive. I still like most of what I see but I'll wait and reserve final judgement until all the details are in.

Thank your for your post as it saved me some time typing. Agree with your views 100%

Signature Event: We experienced the Tuscan Castle event on The President's Cruise and it was truly memorable so have no concerns about Azamara's ability to organise a wonderful experience. But to charge for a no show? Unpleasant.

Included Alcohol: We have experienced included alcohol on a luxury line and really enjoyed it even though we are not big drinkers. No bad behaviour on show but a very convivial atmosphere around the ship particularly during the evenings.

No more 50% discounted excursions: Just do not understand this when Azamara prides itself on being destination focused. We are usually DIY tourers but on our last 2 cruises have taken advantage of this deal. Excellent value particularly in Scandinavia. This change now adds considerable cost if touring is important to you.

Price? This is the big question. For us Azamara occupied a niche and so we didn't consider other lines. We are now looking at the luxury lines again to draw comparisons. We love Azamara and are looking forward to our next cruise in Feb-hopefully it won't be our last.

One final thing-why is Azamara such a big secret? Lots of our friends cruise and yet it is very rare that anyone has ever heard of Azamara. Is this just in the UK? We never receive emails (despite signing up many times) brochures or mailings but are deluged by other cruise lines. I have never been able to get an Azamara brochure in a travel agent. Wouldn't work on this and providing a decent UK website go some way to helping brand awareness and loyalty?

I just called my TA to look into pricing for an Azamara B2B we were interested in"before the pricing goes up at the end of October".

Each leg was $500 pp above the rate in the original brochure. Of course, there is no way for me to know when this hike took effect.

Bill,

I can hear the management discussions now, "Only the Cruise Critic fans are dissatisfied with the changes. We haven't gotten poor feedback from anyone else. " I want to point out that the email AZA sent out on Monday with subject "Upgrades for Everyone!" doesn't mention that 50% off excursions have been eliminated. Neither does the link provided in the email to "2013 Enhancements." Also, the link to view "2013 Destination Guide" still says there is 50% off excursion program. If you happen to click on "Value Pricing", you would see the bad news that the program has been eliminated. Also, if not for this forum, I wouldn't have any reason to believe that 2014 fares, which were just released, would already be increasing in a month. Most people would likely assume that 2014 rates would already be priced to include these "enhancements."

Doug

I posted early on this thread but now I've had some time to do some more thinking, and after reading everyone else's posts, I'm back. I appreciate Bill's position...he's trying to explain and justify a decision that has been made which is very unlikely to be rescinded. That being said, I don't think any explanation can and will sway those of us who are unwilling or unable to pay the significant fare increases. I agree that it is absurd to try to use the one free excursion (and I too have no desire to be dragged from one shopping venue to another as part of the Azamazing experience) and the cheap brand liquor as enhancements worth the fare increase. What bothers me a bit too is the stated desire for "up market" travelers and all the nonsense about "bespoke." What I love about Azamara is the very congenial atmosphere on board...the demographic seems to be savvy and appreciative cruisers. Azamara is not inexpensive right now (compared to the mainstream cruiselines) but I get the impression that corporate would like to change the demographic to a group for whom money is really no object. Remember, they talked about this a year ago when they added shorter cruises to attract "younger" exec types who could take only a week at a time. My concern is that with the changing demographic the atmosphere on board will change too and become more, shall we say, rareified. I'm not going to say "never again" for Azamara, but I'm not sure an Azamara cruise in the future will be the best and most enjoyable use of our travel dollars.

Bill,

I can hear the management discussions now, "Only the Cruise Critic fans are dissatisfied with the changes. We haven't gotten poor feedback from anyone else. " I want to point out that the email AZA sent out on Monday with subject "Upgrades for Everyone!" doesn't mention that 50% off excursions have been eliminated. Neither does the link provided in the email to "2013 Enhancements." Also, the link to view "2013 Destination Guide" still says there is 50% off excursion program. If you happen to click on "Value Pricing", you would see the bad news that the program has been eliminated. Also, if not for this forum, I wouldn't have any reason to believe that 2014 fares, which were just released, would already be increasing in a month. Most people would likely assume that 2014 rates would already be priced to include these "enhancements."

Doug

Slick marketing to the uninformed can work wonders.

I posted early on this thread but now I've had some time to do some more thinking, and after reading everyone else's posts, I'm back. I appreciate Bill's position...he's trying to explain and justify a decision that has been made which is very unlikely to be rescinded. That being said, I don't think any explanation can and will sway those of us who are unwilling or unable to pay the significant fare increases. I agree that it is absurd to try to use the one free excursion (and I too have no desire to be dragged from one shopping venue to another as part of the Azamazing experience) and the cheap brand liquor as enhancements worth the fare increase. What bothers me a bit too is the stated desire for "up market" travelers and all the nonsense about "bespoke." What I love about Azamara is the very congenial atmosphere on board...the demographic seems to be savvy and appreciative cruisers. Azamara is not inexpensive right now (compared to the mainstream cruiselines) but I get the impression that corporate would like to change the demographic to a group for whom money is really no object. Remember, they talked about this a year ago when they added shorter cruises to attract "younger" exec types who could take only a week at a time. My concern is that with the changing demographic the atmosphere on board will change too and become more, shall we say, rareified. I'm not going to say "never again" for Azamara, but I'm not sure an Azamara cruise in the future will be the best and most enjoyable use of our travel dollars.

Between the "bespoke" nonsensense and the "upmarket" nonsense it is about the most pretentious piece of marketing I have ever seen.

Azamara does not understand "bespoke." They don't come close to it.

I. What bothers me a bit too is the stated desire for "up market" travelers and all the nonsense about "bespoke." What I love about Azamara is the very congenial atmosphere on board...the demographic seems to be savvy and appreciative cruisers. Azamara is not inexpensive right now (compared to the mainstream cruiselines) but I get the impression that corporate would like to change the demographic to a group for whom money is really no object. Remember, they talked about this a year ago when they added shorter cruises to attract "younger" exec types who could take only a week at a time. My concern is that with the changing demographic the atmosphere on board will change too and become more, shall we say, rareified. I'm not going to say "never again" for Azamara, but I'm not sure an Azamara cruise in the future will be the best and most enjoyable use of our travel dollars.

I agree with Mare S. about concerns about changing the onboard atmosphere. I have pasted my post from another discussion thread because I think it speaks to the concern about Azamara wanting to attract a different demographic,

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinaro44 viewpost.gif

Scroll all the way to the bottom. Another appeal to so-called "up-market travelers?"

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/li...ning-and-wines

Very interesting that they now state " We recommend that men bring a sport coat or SUIT". I checked my 2012 Destination guide for shipboard attire and it says "...and a sport coat if desired (not required)." no mention of bringing a suit.

This does seem like an appeal to "up-market" the passengers. And is contrary to the opinions expressed on the thread about Azamara enhancement, where many have stated that they are comfortable with, and prefer, the existing atmosphere on board. I think the current resort /casual dress code is one reason some passengers choose Azamara.

Sorry Bill I have the up most respect for you but when I read what you wrote I am now even more convinced that Azamara is no longer the cruise line for us... New enhanced amenities? do you mean the included drinks that is not an enhanced amenity you raised your price to cover that. The included evening tour guess what you raised your price to pay for that as well and you took away a program that was truly an enhanced amenity the 50% excursion.

I am having a problem understanding where is the value in all of this. Azamara added two so called amenities took away one and raised the prices so high that it pricing some of us right out of the market. You cannot say Azamara value its repeat customers when everything that has been written is saying the contrary. Azamara is starting to sound like a politician who talks out of both sides of their mouth.

Between the "bespoke" nonsensense and the "upmarket" nonsense it is about the most pretentious piece of marketing I have ever seen.

Azamara does not understand "bespoke." They don't come close to it.

"Bespoke" is chartering a 150 foot yacht in Nice and cruising the Med for the summer with a few of your best friends, a three-star chef, and cases of Veuve Clicquot.

Archived