AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

We will never say never, but will just hope for a special sale as sailing dates get closer that will allow us to continue "coming home".

I think a lot of people (who can make last minute decisions) will be doing the same.

I meant pretty bad for Azamara, since I believe they consider the agents their travel partners.

My TA likes Azamara (he likes O a little better) and will certainly recommend it to some of his clients (perhaps as an alternative to Regent) but not to those of us who don't want to have cocktails and excursions included. It simply is not a good fit anymore/

My last Azamara cruise (2011) was to West Indies We payed $2699.PP and had a large OBC. The same cruise now is $4599. PP. That is $1,900 PP more for the cruise now. Like I said before don't need air and don't drink. I would NEVER pay the new price. Azamara I hope that your cruise line makes it. You have been changing your line too much. Yes you have a nice crew/staff and your food is OK. Our Azamara stateroom was nothing to speak of. I can get better value on another line.

Do the other upscaled cruise line have too many PAX? Are they sailing so full that the extra PAXs will jump over to Azamara? I don't think so. My cruise vacation doesn't rest on one cruise line. After almost 80 cruises on many lines, I have all ways enjoyed myself. Even when I did pick the wrong cruise line for me (MSC) I still had fun.

I agree that the onboard staff is wonderful and they provide a great cruise experience but, Azamara has been making too many changes and trying to fix something that is not broken.

The pricing no longer fits in our budget and if the rates go up again I am not sure who Azamara will attract. The ships are older and the bathrooms/cabins smaller. I did not mind paying a bit more for great onboard service (sorry, cannot say the same for the home office), but such a large increase for "enhancements" we never wanted or will ever use will send our business back to another line.

We are booked on the Black Sea cruise next year. When the pricing first came out (and it is in the 2013 Destination Guide) it was starting at $4,899 pp for a balcony. Demand was high and the prices went up several times. The same cruise in 2014 is starting at $5,899 pp for the same balcony cabin. That is a price increase of $1,000 per person and that is before the prices will change in November. I just cannot justify paying prices like that. I am sorry Azamara but after the 2 cruises booked in 2013 we will be cruising elsewhere. We already sailed with Azamara 6 times in less than two years. Will enough people pay the higher rates to make up the revenue of the customers Azamara will lose?

For what it’s worth, I just did a comparison of very similar back-to-back cruises on Oceania and Azamara. Both were fall of ’13 and both total 22 days (12+10) and the itineraries very similar...

Even ignoring the free drink differential it is a no-brainer to choose Azamara with their enhanced amenities, larger stateroom and a more intimate ship with half the passengers. Before one criticizes A for their recent enhancements, I suggest they do an apples-to apples comparison like I did rather than shooting from the hip.

Thanks for doing that comparison. But I'm not sure it really is apples to apples. You're comparing 2013 cruises, but pricing on those cruises was out long before the new Azamara announcements. It's true that people who now book those 2013 Azamara cruises (or who, like me, have already booked one) will "benefit" from the "enhancements" without "paying" for them. But it's the jump in prices for 2014 that are pushing people away from Azamara.

A fair comparison for 2014 won't be possible until Oceania releases its itineraries and pricing. And if Oceania's prices rise similarly, that doesn't mean VICTORY! for Azamara. It just means both lines will lose out on the niche that people like me are looking for - a higher end, more elegant cruise on a smaller ship for which I'm willing to pay a 25-35% premium over mass lines like X and Princess. I neither want nor will pay a large premium for included booze, "special" excursions or other "enhancements" that I'm unlikely to take advantage of.

And the idea that most people in the age 30s-40s market segment want alcohol included is nonsense too. I'm in that market segment, and I don't want it. And among two dozen or so friends of mine in that segment who cruise, I can count on one hand the number of them who would be attracted to endlessly flowing alcohol. The rest of us? Two or three drinks a night and we're done.

All cruise lines make adjustments to keep up with changing demands and different demographics. Crystal just went all inclusive for the first time this year. Crustal, Silversea and Seabourn have all relaxed their dress codes. Each line has different loyalty reward programs which are constantly adjusted. I think AI is a great improvement.

In this economic climate I am surprised that Azamara is introducing what could be classed as quite major changes and what may also include large price increases. From the first time we sailed with Azamara we have loved the whole experience and have recommended them to anyone who was thinking of cruising, for all the obvious reasons, exceptional level of service,the staff interaction with the passengers etc. I wonder what the staff think of these changes,or if their views were considered.Azamara has spoiled us from sailing with other cruise lines and I have always said I would rather take an inside cabin with them instead of a balcony on another ship but now I may have to ask if they will give me a cabin in the crew quarters instead!!!!!!!!!!! But I guess we will just have to see how things go and then make our personal choices regarding these changes.

Leonjo:mad:

We've never sailed on Azamara, but we're Elite on Celebrity, and Diamond on RCL. I've had Azamara on my wish list, mostly because of the rave reviews here on CC, and the loyal following of the the repeat cruisers. We now will wait until this settles out before booking Azamara.

I know you can't compare Celebrity to Azamara as if you're looking at apples to apples. I know tips are included in Azamara. I understand the aesthetics of a smaller ship and wonderful crew are a drawing card. But.......

A 12 night Black Sea cruise, balcony on AZ $5799, Cel $1799, a $4,000 difference per person. That's $8,000 more for the trip. Now I understand that's only ballpark, and the tips figure in there, but not $8000 worth.

We had convinced ourselves Azamara may well be worth extra money, but the chances of us booking on Azamara have gone from 50/50 to 0%, and with further price increases I'm afraid we'll just have to dream.

Since we're Elite, the open bar means very little to us because of the perks available. The ship wide shore party could turn out to be a real nice evening or a real disaster. That's no draw for us until we hear how it goes.

It appears to me that one of two things are at work here:

1. Azamara must increase prices to make it into the black, and have come up with a scheme to gloss over the prices.

2. Azamara believes, and maybe correctly, that they have established such a loyal customer base that although the increase will be met with resistance at first, their customers will stay with them.

I've seen many "loyals" say they won't be back, or will wait for special pricing, but there is another thing at work here, and that is folks like us who were considering giving Azamara a try, and now can't justify it.

Hello Azamara "New Inclusion" Commenter's -

I appreciate your time and effort to report your opinions about our decision to include the new complimentary AzAmazing Evening event and the introduction of complimentary standard spirits, wines and international beers throughout the ship during the bars’ opening hours.

I want you to know that I'm tracking and evaluating your comments, opinions (both good and bad), and will be reporting them to our executive team.

Many of you have asked specific policy questions, and in order to ensure that all thread readers have the opportunity to be informed, I'll be aggregating your questions and then addressing them in a separate response with the poster's name in my answer. They will be titled, "Answers to Your Questions" and I'm working on responding to your questions from Monday, October 1.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hi Bill

Thanks for offering to put together a set of answers to our questions on the "enhancements."

Two things that are obvious is that for some of us the "enhancements" will result in Azamara becoming a less desirable cruise line in terms of meeting our personal cruise interests and in terms of being a more costly cruising experience than it has in the past (by more than just the normal impact of inflation).

The specific concern is that many of us have purchased Azamara Passages certificates at a significant cost ($550 for me) which we will either no longer be interested in using or unable to use because the cost of an Azamara cruise has increased to a point of unaffordability for us.

So, the specific question is "What is Azamara going to do to make things right for those of us who can no longer use previously purchased Azamara Passages certificates? Obviously, a refund would be ideal; but converting them to Celebrity or Royal certificates of our choice would be a tolerable alternative.

Thanks.

Art

The specific concern is that many of us have purchased Azamara Passages certificates at a significant cost ($550 for me) which we will either no longer be interested in using or unable to use because the cost of an Azamara cruise has increased to a point of unaffordability for us.

So, the specific question is "What is Azamara going to do to make things right for those of us who can no longer use previously purchased Azamara Passages certificates? Obviously, a refund would be ideal; but converting them to Celebrity or Royal certificates of our choice would be a tolerable alternative.

Thanks.

Art

They are telling us no.

For what it’s worth, I just did a comparison of very similar back-to-back cruises on Oceania and Azamara. Both were fall of ’13 and both total 22 days (12+10) and the itineraries very similar:

O was Southampton-Barcelona-Rome on the Marina; and A was Southampton-Seville-Rome on the Quest. I had both cruises priced without air. For the O cruise, I looked at an A4 cabin at a total of 282 sq.ft. including veranda; and for A, I chose an N2 at 326 sq.ft. including veranda.

The O cruise was $10,400 and the A cruise was $11,233 before any TA added perks. Roughly $800 more BUT with A I get a 16% larger cabin, free drinks and included gratuities. A comparable drink package on O can be purchased for about $50 per day. For a 22 day cruise, that’s about $1,100. Now consider the gratuities for O and the difference swings more in favor of A.

Even ignoring the free drink differential it is a no-brainer to choose Azamara with their enhanced amenities, larger stateroom and a more intimate ship with half the passengers. Before one criticizes A for their recent enhancements, I suggest they do an apples-to apples comparison like I did rather than shooting from the hip.

FYI - for what it's worth, most good O TA's have deals with O and give free gratuities so it's really no different from A in that respect. I have never paid for gratuities on an O cruise. The R ships are virtually identical on both lines -- same number of passengers and same staterooms for the most part.

I think ACC have dropped a Bo***** as we say here in the UK.

You drive higher prices by delivering better products not by announcing you are putting prices up.

Fill the ships and put up prices by discounting less.

On our ACC TA there were loads that other cruise lines charge for but I never used, It was nice to know they were there so I could recomnend ACC to people that would use them.

The booze situation makes no sense, the included wine was available for many hours at any location that served food and was unlimited.

Other booze was 1/2 price wines all day and reasonable prices(and generous) for the rest as the service is included, problem is the guys have no work at the other bars because of the wine.

cost was not an issue, convenience maybe

eg: on the brunch days I could have had include wine but fancied the BM very nice but chargable.

Beer and cheap spirits must be cheaper than the wines so is it big deal to include them

I bet even with tips included the tips would improve.

The ACC packages prices did not reflect the included wine compared to RCL and Celebrity prices so I guess they failed to get taken up.

So we have gone with AI(longer hours not just meals) and price rises.

I think the AI brands are not matched with the packages what are the new package prices for those that want premium.

On a port intensive destination cruise you don't have the time to overdo it anyway.

I think a casual introduction to AI would have been better, offer the beer and spirit/cocktail as an alternative to wine during meals and then extend the hours.

Many regulars get extra anyway again extend those times

This keeps the regulars and word gets out quickly the product has impoved t no cost, bookings go up protecting prices.

IS cheap brand AI with price rises attractive to anyone?

On the shorex, when dealing with seasoned cruisers if the 50% was failing that says the offering was wrong, probably a combination of price and group size,

the only one I have experience of were the tours in Gib and at 50% they were good value being a little lower than the price on the pier pre booked localy(100% was a rip off)

I think the way to go is to be competative with the local/private offering with the cruise ship backup premium for those that involve travel away from the port, that way you might fill the tours make a little profit but keep the passenger loyal to the product. no one likes over priced tours.

This new evening offering is it include or not?

I have to pre book and if I cancell late I get massive penalty.

not trusting the guests before they board is this the right message?

If I order a drink and don't drink it do I have to pay for that as well?

A question for BILL

How many of the exec actualy take cruise holidays not as company guests?

(or try other lines?)

End of the day

the booze change increases the value for some but not by much and for many adds nothing.

the shorex, until the new pricing is known who knows if 50% was not selling they need to be chaper or better.

Announcing price rise was suicidal, pricing for cruises if fluid based on demand anyway.

Thanks for doing that comparison. But I'm not sure it really is apples to apples. You're comparing 2013 cruises, but pricing on those cruises was out long before the new Azamara announcements. It's true that people who now book those 2013 Azamara cruises (or who, like me, have already booked one) will "benefit" from the "enhancements" without "paying" for them. But it's the jump in prices for 2014 that are pushing people away from Azamara.

Right on! And I think even 2013 prices will go up in November, so any comparison using current Azamara prices is not valid even for 2013 after these so-called "enhancements" go into effect.

Seems to me the key to all these changes is tipped off by the last two words in Bill Lieber's title for this thread: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers. I read this to say Azamara is going after the Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas crowd, and prices are going to reflect that. The problem is, from my point of view, that those folks aren't going to bite.

We spent 25 days on Regent this past March and followed the Regent board closely here on Cruise Critic. Firstly, Regent regulars grumble about the size of the small standard veranda suites on Regent's Mariner, and these are 252 square feet. On Regent's newest ship, Voyager, they are 306 square feet--and this doesn't include balcony square footage. Does Azamara really think they will move down to 158 to 175 square foot inside, oceanview, or veranda staterooms on Quest or Journey? These R-ships have 42 Club Suites and the remaining 300+ staterooms are 158 to 175 square feet. I just don't see these being booked by former Regent, Seabourn, etc., passengers.

Secondly, from talking with many Regent passengers, my impression is that they feel that they've "made it" and deserve only the best, and have the means to pay for it. We heard so many times, when we mentioned that these were our first Regent cruises, passengers telling us that they'd never cruise with anyone but Regent. The feeling was something like: This is the best; I deserve the best; I can afford the best; why should I settle for anything less. And, by the way, Regent's all-inclusive offering includes everything Azamara offers (except the 600+ passenger Azamazing night event) plus free air, free excursions, free specialty restaurants, better brands of free alcohol, and attractive pricing for business-class air upgrades.

My point: I'm very pessimistic that Azamara is going to be successful in positioning itself in that "luxury" niche given the two twelve-year old R-ships, originally built for a mass-market cruise line and therefore having much smaller-than-average staterooms, that comprise its entire fleet. Instead, it should try to firm up its position in a cruise line category where its only significant competition today is Oceania, and not try to over-reach.

FYI - for what it's worth, most good O TA's have deals with O and give free gratuities so it's really no different from A in that respect. I have never paid for gratuities on an O cruise. The R ships are virtually identical on both lines -- same number of passengers and same staterooms for the most part.

Read my post again. The O ship was Marina- not an R ship. Hence the difference in passengers.

I purposely DID NOT include any TA perks such as gratuities paid for by the TA. TA's have and will offer similar valued perks for an A booking. The comparison was apples to apples, not oranges as you tried to justify.

Read my post again. The O ship was Marina- not an R ship. Hence the difference in passengers.

I purposely DID NOT include any TA perks such as gratuities paid for by the TA. TA's have and will offer similar valued perks for an A booking. The comparison was apples to apples, not oranges as you tried to justify.

You can't compare the O ships to the R ships. It's an entirely different experience (I dislike the O ships personally because of their size). One of the reasons I wanted to try Azamara was to have more R ship choices.

The gratuities of which I speak are NOT paid by the TA. They are paid by Oceania through TAs with high volume who are given groups of rooms.

The gratuities of which I speak are NOT paid by the TA. They are paid by Oceania through TAs with high volume who are given groups of rooms.

Yes, I've seen special deals on certain Oceania cruises offered by my TA with gratuities included, but I don't know that included gratuities would be available from these TAs for every Oceania cruise.

Yes, I've seen special deals on certain Oceania cruises offered by my TA with gratuities included, but I don't know that included gratuities would be available from these TAs for every Oceania cruise.

It all depends on your TA. I consider it routine. I have never paid gratuities on an O cruise. My TA is a high volume O TA and always can get me the free gratuities.

But our TA gives us great OBC + Azamara pays the gratuities so it is different - way better for us on AZ. On Oceania its one or the other plus you still have the smoking issue. Then add in $50 pp per day for the drink pkg.

But our TA gives us great OBC + Azamara pays the gratuities so it is different - way better for us on AZ. On Oceania its one or the other plus you still have the smoking issue.

First, as I posted earlier, O has one of the most restrictive smoking policies of all cruise lines. I do not understand what you think the "smoking issue" is. You may only smoke in a rear corner of the pool deck and a far section of Horizon's Lounge (which is walled off with glass on the newer ships). That's it.

Second, I guess some of us get OBCs and gratuities when booking O -- it is not one or the other. The gratuities come from O; the OBC comes from the TA. Plus, on top of all that, O itself gives you an additional OBC on your 5th cruise (it goes up in increments after that).

First, as I posted earlier, O has one of the most restrictive smoking policies of all cruise lines. I do not understand what you think the "smoking issue" is. You may only smoke in a rear corner of the pool deck and a far section of Horizon's Lounge (which is walled off with glass on the newer ships). That's it.

Second, I guess some of us get OBCs and gratuities when booking O -- it is not one or the other. The gratuities come from O; the OBC comes from the TA. Plus, on top of all that, O itself gives you an additional OBC on your 5th cruise (it goes up in increments after that).

On Azamara you are only allowed to smoke in a corner on deck 9...if you read the smoking information, it states there are two smoking areas but there are not.

My TA did not offer me any OBC's on Azamara...should I look for one who offers this...if so, who? Also, I've never gotten any perks from my TA and I've booked alot of trips through him.

I starting looking today at RCL and X both offering 12 days includes gratuities and OBC. Western Med cruise X is $1900 and RCL is $1300 both Balcony cabins. On X we get the breakfast at Michael with Espresso, both offer the cocktail hour for diamond on RCL and Elite on X. I know very little about Oceania but am starting to do my research now to see what I can learn about them.

I am not sure what Azamara is going to do and I have seen so many mixed messages from them over the last couple of months that I have now lost my faith in them. I will wait to see what Bill has to say and then make a decision on what we are going to do in 2014 but as of right now we are looking elsewhere.

My TA did not offer me any OBC's on Azamara...should I look for one who offers this...if so, who? Also, I've never gotten any perks from my TA and I've booked alot of trips through him.

Change TAs -- Most good TAs (high volume or those with connections to specific cruise lines) -- give excellent perks. On some luxury lines it can amount to more than a $1000 in OBCs

When booking your next cruise, shop around. Look for someone who advertises that they are "Azamara or Oceania or Regent or Celebrity specialists (or whatever line you prefer)" or "luxury cruise specialists." Make sure that they also have a reputation for excellent service. I carry my TA's cards with me when I cruise and give them out to fellow passengers who get nothing from their TAs -- it makes a big difference which TA you use.

There are also websites that let you compare TA offers but we are not permitted to post their names on CC.

Celebrity and Azamara are more stringent with absolutely no smoking inside the ship. Wonderful to be able to use the forward lounge without residual smoke smell.

So Oceania includes gratuities in the fare the same as Azamara?

Archived