AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

Eric, I tend to agree with you. It will probably appeal to the wrong sort of people and turn what we like about Azamara to something More like the Bahamas Booze Cruises.

We cant do december as Cancer hit our family after the NYC Rouen cruise.

I hope they revisit this idea. I hope they are not grasping at straws to get more market share.

Hope your home stayed dry under the recent floods.

Hello Keefy,

Judging by most of the comments on this forum many people will be saying goodbye to Azamara which is a real pity.

We really enjoyed all of our 7 cruises since Feb 2008 & will be sad to leave after our Dec cruise which is likely to be our last.

We had hoped that our paths would cross again in the future but it now looks unlikey unless on another cruise line.

Very sorry to hear about your family health problems, we hope that things are improving & send our best wishes.

The flooding came within a couple of miles from us but we were fine.

This year been one the wettest on record, it stared while we were on the Journey in April & has hardly stopped since.

Very Best wishes, Eric

Totally agree - in the UK Azamara is still unknown and it's almost impossible to get a brochure from a travel agent, or even via the website as I have tried on numerous occasions and nothing arrives! We can only get them on ship but they obviously show cruise only fares in dollars. Would be good to get a UK version with prices for cruise only and including flights in British pounds.

Hi Rose and Steve

The quickest way to get an Azamara Brochure is to email the UKCaptains Club at captainsclub.uk@rccl.com - they will help you out very quickly I am sure

A

When you went to wine,the prices went up. I do enjoy the included soft drinks and specialty coffees. Even though, I do not drink the wine, there was still some value to the increase. Including liquor and increasing prices does not work for me. I would not benefit from the the change. In fact, it would make me pay for a feature that I would not use. I will miss Azamara. Oceania has the edge now.

Oceania will NOT follow suit with all inclusive liquor..they have the packages and Regent is all inclusive..and last but NOT least Frank Delrio is not a follower

Jancruz1

Too funny, Jan. I responded with almost exactly the same words to this same post earlier in the thread.

I think FDR should be elated over this change in Azamara. O folks probably will not be interested anymore and plenty of loyal Azamara cruisers are looking at O.

MY APOLOGIES....I misread the website. Tours are only 50% off as stated above, until the March and May 2013 cruises!

Link: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/after-booking/book-land-discoveries

But this still contradicts the 2013 Destination Guide. I have contacted Azamara via the Captains Club querying this issue. If I hear back before Bill is able to post anything I will advise

We just returned yesterday from our first Azamara Club Cruise and thoroughly enjoyed being on the Journey around the French and Italian Riviera's. We like a to drink and have more than enough wine and good food during the cruise.

When we returned and read the Big Announcement we were very disappointed as we have already decided that it was a great product and that we would book again soon. We have now been put off and will have to think again. Why pay more for something you don't want.

Never mind we did it once and it was great.

But this still contradicts the 2013 Destination Guide. I have contacted Azamara via the Captains Club querying this issue. If I hear back before Bill is able to post anything I will advise

We are similarly situated. We booked back to back 2013 cruises in 2012 totaling 23 nights. The 2012 Destination Guide and comments on Cruise Critic by the LBO (Bill) and Host Andy indicated that we would be entitled to 50 off Land Discoveries (shore excursions). We do not think it is ethical for Azamara to unilaterally cancel the 50% off shore excursion program. This is not a trivial matter - if you assume 15 shore excursions at an increased cost of even $50 for 2 people, that amounts to $1,500 ($50x15x2). If you assume a $75 increased cost that would add an extra $2,250 ($75x15x2).

I shall be doing the same.

Meanwhile this page on the UK site http://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/news-and-offers/cruise-deals/ states

Redefine your cruise with Azamara Club Cruises®

Whether you prefer leisurely days at sea or enticing evenings where you’ll discover sophisticated destinations en route, we have an itinerary specially made for you.

Book an Ocean View Stateroom between 1st October and 30th November and you’ll enjoy free or reduced flights to Europe on selected 2013 sailings. What’s more,enjoy 50% off our fabulous shore and land discoveries, low price single supplements and savings of upto £300 per cruise when you book a back-to-back sailing.

Plus you take advantage of our even more inclusive cruises, from 2013, where you’ll enjoy additional benefits like:

• Inclusion of gratuities for all waiting staff, bartenders and housekeepers
  • Shuttle bus service to/from port communities
  • Open bars stocked with internationally branded beers, wines and spirits
  • An AzAmazing evening in port where you’ll enjoy longer and later stays.

And for the first time ever, we’ve guaranteed all our taxes and fees are included in the quoted price.

These incredible added extras will be available on all on Azamara Quest sailings from 27 March 2013 and Azamara Journey sailings from 15 May 2013.

The implication here is that new benefits are in ADDITION to existing benefits such as 50% LDS.

& weren't gratuities already included? :confused:

Good luck,

it might be a significant enough change (if shorex prices do go up)to get a full refund of the deposits.

Which email address are you using to contact them? Is it a UK one?

Thanks.

Thank you Uktog, I was going to call this morning but since you have I will wait and see what they say to you..

Which email address are you using to contact them? Is it a UK one?

Thanks.

I used the UK one, I have had an acknowledgement that it has been passed to the relevant people. I also included a query about the "change in dress code" aka the reference to gentleman might prefer to pack a suit for the evening events

One of our large TA is having an open house tomorrow they moved into a new building so they will have most of the cruise lines represented there. I was not planning on going but with the changes with Azamara I am now looking forward to find out what is out there and hopefully find another line to take Azamara place.

I am not a betting man but if I were I am placing my bet that the 50% will be reinstated. I do believe the liquor and the evening tour will stay as well as their new price structure. I have yet to compare them to Oceania since O 2014 prices do not come out until later this month. I know that O offers up all their restaurants and includes airfare and depending on the cruise gratuities are included. I do not know about the shore ex yet so I will have to do a side by side comparsion and see. I am not happy that I might have to go back to a mass market line but if it does not work out there is always land vacations.

I am going to take that as a complement, because I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at Oceania. And, I am not a snob! From my take on their boards, lots of them do cross over to Oceania. What makes many stay with Regent are the large standard cabins and huge marble bathrooms, no formal nights and strict smoking policy. We found (on the ships) the Regent cruisers to be very down to earth. I think that sets them apart from Seabourn, which strikes me as more elitist. There are lots of people new to Regent who are baby boomers wanting a more luxurious experience than on the mainstream lines. I can easily handle the smaller cabin for a cheaper price. To be honest, Regent isn't THAT much better or different than HAL Prinsendam, one of our favorite ships! As long as the Azamara ships are in better shape than Ocean Princess--of the same original fleet, I'd be happy!

Then I applaud your attitude. I hope there are enough Regent cruisers like yourself to make Azamara's attempt to woo them worth losing all its devotees.

One of our large TA is having an open house tomorrow they moved into a new building so they will have most of the cruise lines represented there. I was not planning on going but with the changes with Azamara I am now looking forward to find out what is out there and hopefully find another line to take Azamara place.

I am not a betting man but if I were I am placing my bet that the 50% will be reinstated. I do believe the liquor and the evening tour will stay as well as their new price structure. I have yet to compare them to Oceania since O 2014 prices do not come out until later this month. I know that O offers up all their restaurants and includes airfare and depending on the cruise gratuities are included. I do not know about the shore ex yet so I will have to do a side by side comparsion and see. I am not happy that I might have to go back to a mass market line but if it does not work out there is always land vacations.

I posted the Oceania itineraries on the O thread and they are now available to view on O's website

Dfishner,

For your information, last July, O did not hesitate to charge $ 70,00 for a simple walking tour, no other transport included. They charge 18% on drinks.

Their internet rates are also very high, they do not have perks for returning guests such as free internet minutes, free laundry bags etc.

On the O ships the guest laundry is not free, you have to buy tokens at reception.

Most misssed on O ships is the friendly and flexible staff.

I read the announcement with dismay. We are soon to take our 12th cruise with Azamara because we enjoy the product as it is but shall be looking for other options following these changes.

We did join an evening event in Tuscany which was complimentary (Presidents Cruise) - it was an enjoyable evening for us because we like Italian food and wine and opera but in future the Azamazing Evening will be a lottery. On a recent cruise a change to the itinerary resulted in a shorter stay in Bilbao than originally planned and the only way to visit the Guggenheim was on an 'Exclusive Tour' at around $115 (no 50% discount). Around 300 of passengers in groups of 25 queued around the building and exhibits - never again! This is how the evenings may turn out - not enjoyable, take it or leave it but pay for it.

I do not have any suggestions for how the company can be more profitable but I do know that is easier to retain customers than attract new ones - so believe this strategy is inadvisable.

Dfishner,

For your information, last July, O did not hesitate to charge $ 70,00 for a simple walking tour, no other transport included. They charge 18% on drinks.

Their internet rates are also very high, they do not have perks for returning guests such as free internet minutes, free laundry bags etc.

On the O ships the guest laundry is not free, you have to buy tokens at reception.

Thank you for the information I do appreciate it. I will be able to talk with O tomorrow since they are at the event and will ask what is included and what is not. You just gave me a head start:-)

Dfishner,

I love Oceania. BUT

Do not take a ship sponsored tour (we never do as we don;t tour with more than 10 or 12 others at most). The prices are outrageous. Arrange your own or join someone else's -- cheaper, better and more fun.

The cost of guest laundry is minimal - $4 a load. On board laundry prices are less than hotel prices and we usually send it out when we have no sea days. WHo wants to do laundry on vacation?

Internet is expensive and slow. Even the biggest O fans complain. Just find free WIFI when you are in a port.

Neither the laundry or internet costs should dictate which line you choose.

They do have perks for returning guests -- mostly OBCs and the more you cruise with them the more perks you get.

I think the service on O is exceptional. I cannot compare to Azamara since my first A cruise is not until August 2013.

I can say without any doubt that this language about "suits" will, without any question, keep us away from Azamara in the future if it isn't rescinded. This is one of the principal reasons why we choose to sail with Azamara: the relaxed dress code. We will go with any line that attracts sophisticated and intelligent passengers who prefer to relax, and that doesn't nickle and dime its passengers for everything. If Azamara wants no longer to be that line then there's a real niche for another company to fill. We'll gladly choose them. Who ARE these folks in Miami dreaming up this nonsense? Seriously...

Our sentiments exactly. We are two more Azamara fans who are now dubious about any further sailings with Azamara after our June 2013 Baltic cruise.

The "suits" thing is really baffling since the luxury lines are turning towards resort casual. Next year they will institute "formal" nights and mandate tuxedos and gowns. LOL

I think these marketing folks should start looking for new jobs.

The "suits" thing is really baffling since the luxury lines are turning towards resort casual. Next year they will institute "formal" nights and mandate tuxedos and gowns. LOL

Ditto....and I hadn't read about the suits before....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

These probably are their new jobs, Celebrity rejects? :o

Archived