Specialty Dining on the Island Princess

shofer

Wondering how good are the specialty restaurants? We did Sabatini's on the Coral with the old menu and it was ok but not great. What kind of menu is there in the Bayou Steakhouse? Are the steaks really good?

Thinking about trying it out on Embarkation Day. What is the charge?

Anyone have a menu to post for either place?

Thanks,

Sue

We've done Sabatinis and enjoyed it, but it all depends on the Exec chef and restaurant staff.

Our best 'specialty meal' on board was Ultimate Balcony Dining, but then also we had an excellent EC.

Wondering how good are the specialty restaurants? We did Sabatini's on the Coral with the old menu and it was ok but not great. What kind of menu is there in the Bayou Steakhouse? Are the steaks really good?

Thinking about trying it out on Embarkation Day. What is the charge?

Anyone have a menu to post for either place?

Thanks,

Sue

I've enjoyed the specialty restaurants but opinions of food are very subjective.

Here's a link to the Princess site with info on them including menus & hope you'll find something you may enjoy.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/specialty_restaurants/index.html

Thanks for the link. I had not found that on the Princess site. Crown Grill looks like a winner.

Sue

Unfortunately, Island doesn't have Crown Grill. We'll be trying both Specialty restaurants on Island later this month. Sabatini's looks great. We'll probably eat there on multiple nights. Bayou Cafe doesn't look as appealing to me, but we'll at least give it a try. The menu just doesn't say "upscale". Hopefully, the food is better than it sounds.

Unfortunately, Island doesn't have Crown Grill. We'll be trying both Specialty restaurants on Island later this month. Sabatini's looks great. We'll probably eat there on multiple nights. Bayou Cafe doesn't look as appealing to me, but we'll at least give it a try. The menu just doesn't say "upscale". Hopefully, the food is better than it sounds.

I enjoyed the Crown Grill more than the Bayou on the Island which we went to early in our cruise figuring we'd return later if we liked it but once was enough. It was a nice change but the Crown Grill on other Princess ships provides us with a meal we enjoy more.

My traveling partner is a rather picky eater. No seafood at all and she is loathe to try too many new items. We will have to check out the menus on both Sabatini's and the Bayou Cafe before we decide. Surf & Turf works for me.

Thanks for all your replies.

Sue

I just came back from 14 days on the Island and went to both Sabatini's and The Bayoue Grille. While the service at Sabatini's was excellent, I can't say their food was anything memorable - especially the "lobster trio." It was really a duo, not a trio, and wasn't really that good.

Bayou Grille, on the other hand, is excellent. I had one of the best filets I have EVER had - was so tender you could almost cut it with a fork. And the 12-oz lobster tail is a great buy at only $5.00 more (total of $25.00 cover charge). The tail is over three times bigger than those they serve in the main DR, and much better-tasting.

Also, on sea days they have a "Pub Lunch" at the Bayou with excellent fish and chips. I highly recommend, and there's no additional charge for this meal. :D

I just came back from 14 days on the Island and went to both Sabatini's and The Bayoue Grille. While the service at Sabatini's was excellent, I can't say their food was anything memorable - especially the "lobster trio." It was really a duo, not a trio, and wasn't really that good.

Bayou Grille, on the other hand, is excellent. I had one of the best filets I have EVER had - was so tender you could almost cut it with a fork. And the 12-oz lobster tail is a great buy at only $5.00 more (total of $25.00 cover charge). The tail is over three times bigger than those they serve in the main DR, and much better-tasting.

Also, on sea days they have a "Pub Lunch" at the Bayou with excellent fish and chips. I highly recommend, and there's no additional charge for this meal.

Thanks for the feedback. I had high hopes for Sabatini's. We were planning to dine there several evenings. I'm disappointed to see the food wasn't great. Lobster 3 ways is one of the entrees I planned to order. :(

I'm not a big fan of beef. Did anyone in your party have a non-beef entree at Bayou Cafe that you could recommend? How was the appetizers? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the feedback. I had high hopes for Sabatini's. We were planning to dine there several evenings. I'm disappointed to see the food wasn't great. Lobster 3 ways is one of the entrees I planned to order. :(

I'm not a big fan of beef. Did anyone in your party have a non-beef entree at Bayou Cafe that you could recommend? How was the appetizers? Any recommendations?

Lobster three ways is actually a lobster tail, lobster risotto and lobster bisque sauce. It wasn't my favorite, a little too fishy tasting for me, but my husband and I shared several of the appetizers, which were delicious. My husband enjoyed his entree and the desserts were yummy too. We will be going again soon. (See you on the Island, tarheelmjfan!)

Lobster three ways is actually a lobster tail, lobster risotto and lobster bisque sauce. It wasn't my favorite, a little too fishy tasting for me, but my husband and I shared several of the appetizers, which were delicious. My husband enjoyed his entree and the desserts were yummy too. We will be going again soon. (See you on the Island, tarheelmjfan!)

I can't wait. It's almost time! :D It sounds like I need to rethink the lobster 3 ways. Lobster risotto sounds so good though. It's too bad it isn't as good as it sounds. There are 4 or 5 more entrees that sound good to me. Maybe, I'll just get those instead. Did they allow you to order more than one appetizer each? If so, I may just have appetizers some nights. Which appetizers & desserts do you recommend?

I can't wait. It's almost time! :D It sounds like I need to rethink the lobster 3 ways. Lobster risotto sounds so good though. It's too bad it isn't as good as it sounds. There are 4 or 5 more entrees that sound good to me. Maybe, I'll just get those instead. Did they allow you to order more than one appetizer each? If so, I may just have appetizers some nights. Which appetizers & desserts do you recommend?

We ordered two appetizers each. The shrimp and white beans as well as the "lava" cheese were very good. (but I love mozzarella cheese) We also had the grilled marinated veggies and a salad. We shared all four and we liked them all. Then they bring you the pasta of the day course. I think my husband had the veal shank for his entree. For dessert I had the white chocolate mousse with the lemon liquor sauce and my husband had the pecan, almond and hazelnut napolean. I am usually a chocolate kind of girl but I thought the nut dessert was better than mine (my poor husband!). Oh my gosh! I am getting so hungry! Let the cruising and eating begin!

We ordered two appetizers each. The shrimp and white beans as well as the "lava" cheese were very good. (but I love mozzarella cheese) We also had the grilled marinated veggies and a salad. We shared all four and we liked them all. Then they bring you the pasta of the day course. I think my husband had the veal shank for his entree. For dessert I had the white chocolate mousse with the lemon liquor sauce and my husband had the pecan, almond and hazelnut napolean. I am usually a chocolate kind of girl but I thought the nut dessert was better than mine (my poor husband!). Oh my gosh! I am getting so hungry! Let the cruising and eating begin!

That's what I say! I've been planning all the things I'm going to eat for months. :D The napoleon sounds delicious. We'll definitely have that one night. The appetizers look good also. I didn't realize they served the pasta of the day along with an entree. I'll never eat that much food, but I'll enjoy trying. :p

Archived