Is American Airlines really in bankruptcy?

ckrobyn

I took a RCI TA to Spain this past April and I needed a ticket to fly back to the good ol' USA. It was cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than a one way ticket. Go figure.

Instead of issuing me vouchers for the unused return portion of my ticket, AA refunded me the money instead without me even asking for it!! Is that crazy or what. Nothing good like that ever happens to me. And I originally bought non-refundable tickets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whatever happens to AA, your money will more than likely be reimbursed if they go totally bezerk-o. Until that happens, you're going on that darn AA flight! I would think that the credit card bank should also reimburse you if they go bankrupt since AA can't fulfill their part of the business transaction.

Chicken_Lips

I am flying from MIA to SJU on the Friday before the cruise - I would never fly in the day of :o I figured that out pretty early on ;)

I'll definitely watch for schedule changes. Right now there are 5 flights from MIA to SJU on AA for that Friday.....

OK, let me throw some reality out here as an American Airlines Executive Platinum (highest status) who has flown many, many AA flights since bankruptcy, both short and very long. AA being in bankruptcy is not a big deal for the traveler. Most of the other major US airlines did it after 9/11...AA did not. List to me the number of terrible things that happened to United or Delta during bankruptcy? Good luck.

The issues now are the pilots and the mechanics. I wouldn't hesitate to fly AA tomorrow, safety wise. I did change a flight in a couple weeks from AA to Frontier because I have already been impacted by the pilot fiasco twice, and can't risk it on that trip (tight schedule, many meetings).

That being said, I did just book yet another AA ticket yesterday for busienss, and part of my honeymoon next summer is on AA so I have no concerns bringing my soon-to-be-wife on an AA aircraft, safety wise.

Yes, some seats came undone. Lets wait and see what the final verdict is before we go calling AA the worst airline in the history of the planet (too late?). Rumors have been flying around. It could be the AA mechanics trying to get back at the airline. It could also be the fault of TIMCO, a Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) facility that actually did the work on the seats recently that didn't put them back in correctly. Right now, everyone is blaming everyone else. It could be AA's fault, it might not be. AA will continue to outsource maintenance, both domestically and internationally (China, for example)...that's the way the airline maintenance industry is heading, and isn't limited to AA at all.

I have had great experiences on AA. I have also had some bad experiences on AA. But as a frequent traveler, I can say the same thing about United, Delta, US Airways, British Airways, Qantas, you name it...even the airline that so many on here think can't do anything wrong, Southwest. That's part of traveling - you win some, you lose some.

All you can do is be prepared - have your options in front of you, review them, and do what you think is best. Be flexible. If your flight gets cancelled, know what flights you can be re-booked on to expedite the process. Keep checking your reservation and be proactive. But as far as bankruptcy goes...it doesn't mean much to you as a traveler.

OK, let me throw some reality out here as an American Airlines Executive Platinum (highest status) who has flown many, many AA flights since bankruptcy, both short and very long. .

Yes, some seats came undone. Lets wait and see what the final verdict is before we go calling AA the worst airline in the history of the planet (too late?).

Here is a little reality, I don't see where anyone has called AA the worst airline in the history of the planet. In fact, most of the post regarding AA have not been very harsh. Maybe some of the posts are poking a bit of fun at them but that happens with most airlines.

AA tends to be my airline of choice. Unfortunately, lately their pricing and scheduling have forced me to look elsewhere. But your post in support of them is quite nice. Maybe it will help to drive up their stock price a couple of pennies.

Here is a little reality, I don't see where anyone has called AA the worst airline in the history of the planet. In fact, most of the post regarding AA have not been very harsh. Maybe some of the posts are poking a bit of fun at them but that happens with most airlines.

AA tends to be my airline of choice. Unfortunately, lately their pricing and scheduling have forced me to look elsewhere. But your post in support of them is quite nice. Maybe it will help to drive up their stock price a couple of pennies.

I meant it in more of a general sense. There are plenty of articles I have read where people are definitely doing so.

They will be, maybe as a merged airline but some form of the will be around. Don't worry too much, these re-orgs are common.

As far as the seats, the airline had put in new seats and as of tonight, they think they have found the issue with clips that hold the seats in tracks on the floor of the aircraft.

By February, all of this will be a distant memory.

I sure hope they've fixed the "seat" thing.....we're scheduled to fly to Hawaii tomorrow from LAX! Say a prayer for me! :)

It's TSA and they have absolutely nothing to do with aircraft maintenance. This thread is really much ado about nothing.

The OP is from Canada, may not have a clear understanding or much experience dealing with US companies that are in bankruptcy or how it works. All she knows is that she has reservations on a bankrupt airline. But hey, you are right, this thread is nothing compared to a really important dress code thread.

The OP is from Canada, may not have a clear understanding or much experience dealing with US companies that are in bankruptcy or how it works. All she knows is that she has reservations on a bankrupt airline. But hey, you are right, this thread is nothing compared to a really important dress code thread.

Well, we are aussies, and the first we heard of any AA bits was on here. We have AA booked for all our internal flights early next year. Due to the fabulous information/discussions on here, we now are NOT concerned at all. We now understand this Section 11, the pilots, maintenance etc. There has been absolutely nothing via media downunder.

So, a huge thankyou to those who have explained this situation to 'outsiders'. We believed AA is one of the best airlines in USA, and we are totally looking forward to flying with them....be it just AA or a merged airline.

Jen:)

Well, we are aussies, and the first we heard of any AA bits was on here. We have AA booked for all our internal flights early next year. Due to the fabulous information/discussions on here, we now are NOT concerned at all. We now understand this Section 11, the pilots, maintenance etc. There has been absolutely nothing via media downunder.

So, a huge thankyou to those who have explained this situation to 'outsiders'. We believed AA is one of the best airlines in USA, and we are totally looking forward to flying with them....be it just AA or a merged airline.

Jen:)

I'm glad the thread is of help to you. AA really is a very good airline especially for flying internationally.

I'm glad the thread is of help to you. AA really is a very good airline especially for flying internationally.

We are Qantas codeshare, flying into Dallas, then AA between our 3 cruises. Info re Dallas airport is priceless to us. Again, thankyou.

Jen

We did this same route last Feb, well after AA declared bankruptcy. In our case the ticket was on Westjet connecting to AA. We had no issues.... well one issue, AA left some of our luggage in Miami. The luggage appeared at our hotel the next morning. If your circumstances came to cancelled AA flights, I believe AC is responsible to reschedule you. Like the others that have commented, you have very little to fear except a major snow storm canceling your flights from Toronto. For us as for you, the big bonus is the direct flight home after the cruise. Very nice to not connect in the US for the return trip. Have a great trip.

We did this same route last Feb, well after AA declared bankruptcy. In our case the ticket was on Westjet connecting to AA. We had no issues.... well one issue, AA left some of our luggage in Miami. The luggage appeared at our hotel the next morning. If your circumstances came to cancelled AA flights, I believe AC is responsible to reschedule you. Like the others that have commented, you have very little to fear except a major snow storm canceling your flights from Toronto. For us as for you, the big bonus is the direct flight home after the cruise. Very nice to not connect in the US for the return trip. Have a great trip.

If OP booked a ticket using miles on AC from YYZ-MIA, and a separate ticket using money from MIA-SJU on AA, AC is only obligated to get OP from YYZ-MIA. They have fulfilled their obligation and have no responsibility to get you any further.

If OP booked a ticket using miles on AC from YYZ-MIA, and a separate ticket using money from MIA-SJU on AA, AC is only obligated to get OP from YYZ-MIA. They have fulfilled their obligation and have no responsibility to get you any further.

Absolutely true. I did assume that this was on one ticket. Ours last year was on a single Westjet ticket. Neither Air Canada nor Westjet fly to San Juan except Saturday and Sunday which requires travellers that want to fly in a day early to make a connection. In this case Miami. The return trip home is fine, non-stop from San Juan.

And, to take it a step further, if you're delayed and miss your flight from MIA-SJU, AA doesn't care that you had a problem earlier. As far as they are concerned, you were a no-show.

Buying two tickets seems so simple....and like many simple things, it has more pitfalls than you might imagine.

Good luck.

Putting passenger safety at risk is unforgiveable :mad:

So is making false accusations....hey?

Yet people in here think its okay to lay off thousands of maintenance workers.

Which leads one ( if of course they are intelligent enough and just don't have a bug bear about a democratic right to fight for your job) to ask;

Where all those thousands of maintenance workers just sitting around doing nothing for years and didn't actually do any maintenance or....

Where will the new maintenance be done - will AA try to string it out to the maximum time they need to do between jobs and only do the urgent stuff and eave everything else to later.

Basically you cut back that many then something has to give somewhere.......

Tell you one thing..after 4 flights with them last year I would never ever fly with the again.... I am not a nervous flyer but those planes looked very tired, and all but one flight had maintain e issues including one after take off from NYC where we circled because they couldn't get the pressurization to work instead of returning to NYC while they 'tried' to fix it.

Archived