Veendam cancelled to Bermuda

davetecsgirl

Tempting, but no (I do my TAs on QM2). The Prinsendam cruise I want to do is the one that goes to several ports in Iceland, but I couldn't find it on the 2013 schedule.

And with my luck, we'd miss Bermuda. That happened on my one and only Princess cruise. We had a 1-day stop in Bermuda, which is why I booked that trip (it was before HAL returned to Bermuda). It was too windy, so we headed down to the Bahamas early.

It better stop in Bermuda :eek: It's our only stop before we head across the ocean;)

I think you are looking for the North Cape Explorer cruise? it does Iceland. It is July 15th, 2013!!:D

As previously stated in this roll call the Veendam will be sailing the Canada routes and more importantly the Voyage of the Vikings cruise. This is a big money maker for HAL. Plus the Veendam has more passengers. We have sailed the VOV twice. For the 2013 VOV sailing inside cabins start at over $200/day; includes government fees. You can do the math.

But right now, considering the robberies, gang violence, traffic accidents, combined with inflated prices, growing indifference to tourists, - I'll say again that is up to the people of Bermuda to decide their future, and it has little or nothing to do with the Veendam.She has her own problems to solve.

Best wishes,

S.

Robberies, gang violence, traffic accidents etc etc..... all of that can be found in any place in the world.... and that gang violence has been learned from their cousins in the USA and Canada!

Inflated prices....not inflated but higher yes... but don't forget that EVERYTHING is imported. And part of the problem is the cost using New York as a homeport.

HAL did not make as much money as they hoped on the run because they lowered their fares to match NCL, RCI and then used a ship that cost so much more to operate than the big NCL ships. Had they kept their prices up and offered a better product than NCL/RCI etc I think they would have done much better.

As previously stated in this roll call the Veendam will be sailing the Canada routes and more importantly the Voyage of the Vikings cruise. This is a big money maker for HAL. Plus the Veendam has more passengers. We have sailed the VOV twice. For the 2013 VOV sailing inside cabins start at over $200/day; includes government fees. You can do the math.

It will be interesting to see how well the Voyage of the Vikings sells now that they have changed the ship to the Veendam. This trip is on our bucket list but I would be hesitant to book it on this ship. I like my sea view pool area:) A trip that sells for top dollar should have one of their best ships - but that's just my opinion:D

It better stop in Bermuda :eek: It's our only stop before we head across the ocean;)

I think you are looking for the North Cape Explorer cruise? it does Iceland. It is July 15th, 2013!!:D

Is that the usual itinerary for the Prinsendam's cruise that includes Iceland? When I did the search a while back, I didn't look at that cruise because of the name. We've done Norway (including Longyearbyen) twice. It's a lot of days and a lot of money for only 3 new ports. We've been to Rekjavik once and would like to go back and see more of Iceland. VOV looks really good but it's more time than we want to take, too. (I want the whole 35 days)

Is that the usual itinerary for the Prinsendam's cruise that includes Iceland? When I did the search a while back, I didn't look at that cruise because of the name. We've done Norway (including Longyearbyen) twice. It's a lot of days and a lot of money for only 3 new ports. We've been to Rekjavik once and would like to go back and see more of Iceland. VOV looks really good but it's more time than we want to take, too. (I want the whole 35 days)

sorry - that I don't know:o Looked like a nice itinerary though:D

Spring, Summer and Fall, 2013, Veendam will sail Canada/New England cruises (Boston to Montreal to Boston) with a 35 day interruption in July/August to do the Voyage of the Vikiings Cruise, Boston to Amsterdam to Boston.

No HAL ships will do a regular Bermuda cruise.

In the fall of 2013 and spring of 2014 the Veendam will be doing the San Diego-Hawaii run and the San Diego Mexican Riveral run.

Robberies, gang violence, traffic accidents etc etc..... all of that can be found in any place in the world.... and that gang violence has been learned from their cousins in the USA and Canada!

Bloods and Crips in Bermuda?? Say it ain't so Captain!:(

Here are 3 threads that discussed HALs leaving Bermuda:

10/24/11 start date -

Subject: No Bermuda in 2013 for HAL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1506446

11/16/11 start date -

Subject: HAL ending Bermuda Cruises after 2012

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518563

11/19/11 start date -

Subject: HAL decision on Bermuda

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1520129

SBtS

Inflated prices....not inflated but higher yes... but don't forget that EVERYTHING is imported. And part of the problem is the cost using New York as a homeport.

HAL did not make as much money as they hoped on the run because they lowered their fares to match NCL, RCI and then used a ship that cost so much more to operate than the big NCL ships. Had they kept their prices up and offered a better product than NCL/RCI etc I think they would have done much better.

Hi Topsham. Yes, that is true, the gobal economic downturn (which some might call a Depression) has left no country unscathed.

Frequenent passengers on cruise ships on various criuse lines have also noted the effect of downsizing crews and cost cutting.

Regarding Bermuda, however, the change has been more apparent perhaps because it is a small island, and as you said "everything is imported". Or maybe the issue is more complex then you suggested when stating that "gang violence has been learned from their cousins in the USA and Canada"

See http://bernews.com/2012/02/comeau-bermuda%E2%80%99s-gang-violence-problem/

Regards,

Salacia

Edited to add: Regarding price comparison between HAL, NCL, and RCI, my passage on the Veendam on two voyages (May and Aug of 2012) was much more expensive than other of the two other lines, so I don't accept your statement that HAL lowered the price to meet the NCL and RCI fares, but perhaps I just over-paid. No, I did over pay.

Oceana's REGATTA will be doing a one-time only rt. FLL to Bermuda April 13, 2013 and will dock in both Hamilton and St. George, with stops at Norfolk and Charleston on the way back to Florida. Total of 4 days in Bermuda. I'm booked on that as well as VOV next summer.

Bloods and Crips in Bermuda?? Say it ain't so Captain!:(

No, but there is a gang called 'Parkside' and another called "42nd Street" but the most pathetic bunch are called "MOB".... now please don't laugh, no one here seemed to know what "MOB" stood for until it was released in the newspaper...... 'Money Over Bitches'!!!!!!!

Time to bring back the birch!

No, but there is a gang called 'Parkside' and another called "42nd Street" but the most pathetic bunch are called "MOB".... now please don't laugh, no one here seemed to know what "MOB" stood for until it was released in the newspaper...... 'Money Over Bitches'!!!!!!!

Time to bring back the birch!

Time for the Bermuda Police Service to lower the hammer on these idiots

Hi Topsham. Yes, that is true, the gobal economic downturn (which some might call a Depression) has left no country unscathed.

Frequenent passengers on cruise ships on various criuse lines have also noted the effect of downsizing crews and cost cutting.

Regarding Bermuda, however, the change has been more apparent perhaps because it is a small island, and as you said "everything is imported". Or maybe the issue is more complex then you suggested when stating that "gang violence has been learned from their cousins in the USA and Canada"

See http://bernews.com/2012/02/comeau-bermuda%E2%80%99s-gang-violence-problem/

Regards,

Salacia

Edited to add: Regarding price comparison between HAL, NCL, and RCI, my passage on the Veendam on two voyages (May and Aug of 2012) was much more expensive than other of the two other lines, so I don't accept your statement that HAL lowered the price to meet the NCL and RCI fares, but perhaps I just over-paid. No, I did over pay.

Salacia,

Yes, there is more to it but CC is not the right place for such discussion but to a large degree the trouble WAS imported from the USA by a certain called Dr Brown who came back to Bermuda and became Government Leader. By stiring up racial trouble with young black males, in effect he and his party are able to retain power. His call... "A vote for the old opposition is a vote back to the plantation' did not help. The man should be locked up. He has one son in prison on serious drugs charges and his other son, a doctor in Los Angeles, is in prison for molesting female patients... 74 different counts! Charming people.

Anyhow... fares... I don't mean that HAL lowered theirs to exactly the same as NCL but they lowered them too much in an attempt to attract passengers and so they could not make money on the run. From the beginning they should have set the fares at the right level and maintained a higher standard of service that what can found on NCL, RCI.

Stephen

Time for the Bermuda Police Service to lower the hammer on these idiots

We need to go back to the old Bermuda Police FORCE! The Government is unlikely to come down hard on the 'idiots' because there is an election coming up and believe me, every single member of any gang here will be putting their vote ( if elegible) down for the ruling party!!!!!

We need to go back to the old Bermuda Police FORCE! The Government is unlikely to come down hard on the 'idiots' because there is an election coming up and believe me, every single member of any gang here will be putting their vote ( if elegible) down for the ruling party!!!!!

"Force" was apparently not "politically correct" - All the best Captain!:)

Actually, the Veendam will be doing Hawaii starting in Fall 2013 not 2014. As to who brainstormed sending the Veendam to warmer climes ... likely, the same creative mind that came up with the poolette (Retreat 1.0) and the tub menagerie (Retreat 2.0);)

Your right pms, I was off by a month, she starts in November of 2013.

I / we have never had one problem...can't say that about Jamaica or Nassau, St Thomas...neither of which I care to see ever again.

Bermuda has a certain cache and hopefully will again see better days...at this point the entire planet has had dark days recently ....poor St George and Front Street in Hamilton....we'll be back one way or another.

I hope all is well Captain!!!!

Someone did mention an April 3013 Bermuda cruise out of Miami...its on the Regatta w/ 3 days in Hamilton & a one day stop in ST George........fantastic..

Wow......

THAT sounds outstanding. Even we could be interested in that and, to date, no other cruise line has offered anything that would tempt us from HAL.

I'll be on the lookout to see if that cruise 'comes to be'. We love FLL and could combine a few day stay there with the cruise you describe. What would make it better would be for it to sail from FLL but not a big deal. That is what taxis are for. :D

Archived