Star Princess 4pm departure delayed due to Blue Angels and America's Cup

deadzone1003

The Star Princess is supposed to depart at 4pm, lucky they will leave by 7pm.

But the passengers were entertained by the Blue Angels as Fleet Week is in swing in the San Francisco Bay Area. Furthermore, the passengers with binoculars could see some of match races of the America's Cup. It is all the observers of both events that will delay the Star. There are literally hundreds of sailboats in the bay watching both events. Good Luck, Star getting around those pesky little boats.

During the day passengers were able to see an old Boeing 727 and a United Boeing 747 flying about 200 ft above the Bay. In fact, the 747 may have been the highlight for most flying buffs as it did a banked turn under 500 ft of elevation over the Bay. I thought the pilot was nuts for even trying. Heck, one of the Blue Angels appears to have flown under the Golden Gate Bridge, a no-no, but it was some kind of day in San Francisco.

The Blue Angels commentator stated that while it looks like the plane(s) might be flying under the bridge, it is an optical illusion created by flying in from the west.

I am promoted to look for a Fleet Week cruise for next year.

Fleet week is so fun! We came in on Star from Mexico this morning and made it home in plenty of time to get up on the roof of our building and watch the air show. Even if you're not cruising in/out of SF, it's worth coming here just to see the ships and air show. And, somehow, we always seem to have absolutely perfect weather on Fleet Week weekend despite cold and foggy weather on the front and back ends :eek:

The Blue Angels commentator stated that while it looks like the plane(s) might be flying under the bridge, it is an optical illusion created by flying in from the west.

I am promoted to look for a Fleet Week cruise for next year.

The pilot when told what the commentator has said, "Yeah. An optical illusion.. that's what it was...." :)

I was able to watch the show from the marina and my husband and I were so jealous of the Sapphire today! It looks like they had a great vantage point during the air show. From our perspective, it looked like one of the planes circled the ship, as if they were playing chicken with them.

Its not a great picture, but here's the Sapphire coming in today

image.jpg.d22af8f0559622b4536bfb8ec3da8f24.jpg

I sailed down to Mexico a number of years ago and also sailed during Fleet Week. It was great watching the Blue Angels fly, we also had the Red Bull Air races the same day. Because of all the traffic in the harbour we also sailed about 3 hours late at around 7pm instead of the scheduled 4pm. Fantastic way to start a cruise :)

Archived