Toothbrush

2ptu/000

Same for us.

I bring one charger for both our brushes. It isn't very large or heavy and the toothbrushes came with plastic cases that are perfect to protect during travel and take no space or weight.

We travel too many days a year to not use our electric brushes all those weeks. They really do a better job than manual IMO and I bring them with us.

(Sonicare)

Same here.

Just wanted to add that I always bring a spare unopened one with me. Just in case I drop it on the counter or on the floor. Yes, it happend once and since then I bring the extra.

I always leave a few unopened ones in my cosmetic bag. I cannot say how many times I have run to the dollar store to pick up one for a child who left at home. I actually also now keep a few in my glove box.

I guess it's a universal thing because we made two trips to get some at summer camp.

I have a hanging toiletry bag, so nothing gets left on the counter. Then the holder for my toothbrush is a tube with air holes that splits apart in the center. After use, I dry with a towel and place back in it's holder back in the toiletry bag. Never thought to use a splash of mouthwash, but that sounds like a good idea.

I've never mastered the art of using the electric tooth brush. Paid my oral surgen $150 for one and the first time I used it, had toothpaste all over me, the mirror and the sink. Tried a couple more times, but I find it difficult to keep my mouth closed as I'm brushing. Finally gave up and gave it to my daughter.

Wish I could find the little finger brushes (we got one once on a flight to Europe). It is sealed and looks about the size of a chicklet gum. Once you open it and put it on the tip of your finger, it acts as a toothbrush. A couple of sips of water, and it really refreshed your mouth after the long flight. I've looked at Walmart, CVS & the internet with no luck. It's more cloth than brush, but it was rough enough to work. Guess the airlines have access to things we don't.

Wish I could find the little finger brushes (we got one once on a flight to Europe). It is sealed and looks about the size of a chicklet gum. Once you open it and put it on the tip of your finger, it acts as a toothbrush. A couple of sips of water, and it really refreshed your mouth after the long flight. I've looked at Walmart, CVS & the internet with no luck. It's more cloth than brush, but it was rough enough to work. Guess the airlines have access to things we don't.

Look in the infant cdepartment. They sell finger brushes for parents to clean babies first teeth and they fit over an adult finger.

Even at home we never leave our toothbrushes out in the open bathroom. After working in infection control for over 20 years our toothbrushes are always in a cabinet only because of aeorsols from the toilet. Unless your toilet is in a seperate room with a door, there will be fine particles of toilet water from flushing (even with the lid closed) in the air in the bathroom. Studies have shown fecal contaminated toothbrushes that are kept on bathroom countertops. I also have a "thing" about homes that have towel racks in close proximity to toilets.

Over careful....yes...anal....possibly. But I take no chances and on our cruises we either put them in a glass in the medicine cabinet, if there is one, or put them in front of the safe in the closet across from the bathroom.

The kids have the holders with suction cups that attach to the mirror. Our son's is a monkey and daughter's is a ladybug. They always get comments from hotel staff and the room stewards so I take it that they think they are a good idea.

Our room steward wiped down the counter, polished the faucet and replaced any glasses we used every day. Our brushes and razors were lined up. I assumed every one got clean counters every day. That is why I tried to remember to put the stuff away so he could clean better. I liked having a clean counter each day.

Fresh cloths used for each cabin ???

Call me silly but Lysol wipes( plastic baggie) travel with me. Once over (after steward has been) once a day, makes me feel better about my bathroom.

Toothbrushes should be changed after any illness (ie flu or cold) ...splash of mouthwash helps in this situation as well. Also as cozy as a family's tooth brushes hanging together in a holder looks, probably not the best idea in cold season.

I also put a cap full of mouth wash in my Water Pik..helps to keep it sanitized...and fresher tasting than plain water.

How much fun is this sharing all our oral hygiene tricks.:D:D

I have a hanging toiletry bag, so nothing gets left on the counter. Then the holder for my toothbrush is a tube with air holes that splits apart in the center. After use, I dry with a towel and place back in it's holder back in the toiletry bag. Never thought to use a splash of mouthwash, but that sounds like a good idea.

I've never mastered the art of using the electric tooth brush. Paid my oral surgen $150 for one and the first time I used it, had toothpaste all over me, the mirror and the sink. Tried a couple more times, but I find it difficult to keep my mouth closed as I'm brushing. Finally gave up and gave it to my daughter.

Regarding the finger brushes -- are you thinking of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ORAL-B-BRUSH-UPS-TRAVEL-TEETH-DENTAL-CLEANING-/300794707378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4608c2fdb2

They were out a few years ago and i bought some. Now they seem to have been discontinued.

This is what I now use to "freshen up" after a long flight:

http://www.theonlinedrugstore.com/Colgate-Wisp-Mini-Toothbrushes-p/2507077.htm?Click=6348&gclid=CPfpw7G0irMCFQGFnQodTT4ARw

It's hard to tell, from the photo, how large they are, but each one isn't any longer than my ring finger and very small to slip into your purse.

As for the original question, I prefer to let my toothbrush air dry. Bacteria grow in a moist environment where the air doesn't circulate, so I avoid covering the bristles (e.g., using a cover) any time except when I am actually en route. I generally start with a new toothbrush and toss it when I get home. (I used to toss it before packing, but learned my lesson when a flight delay meant an unplanned overnight with no toothbrush!)

I bought a toothbrush holder at Bed Bath and Beyond that has suction cups on it and stick it on the bottom of the bathroom mirror. It is so much more convenient and don't have to worry about using too many glasses or anything like that. I love it.

Sharon I

Regarding the finger brushes -- are you thinking of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-ORAL-B-BRUSH-UPS-TRAVEL-TEETH-DENTAL-CLEANING-/300794707378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4608c2fdb2

They were out a few years ago and i bought some. Now they seem to have been discontinued.

I read an article in a marketing trade magazine about a year ago about P&G and the Oral B brush-ups. Apparently, it was a monumental flop and P&G lost millions on the product. They speculated that it was going to be "the next big thing" and poured a ton of money into an international marketing campaign including lots of expensive magazine and television advertising. The product failed miserably and was dropped in 20 months or something like that. It realized less than 1% of its target sales. So much for the next big thing.

I have to travel with a Water Pik and found that the children's size on weighs a great deal less and is much easier to travel with.

Yes, it is green.

Drugstore.com link. http://www.drugstore.com/waterpik-waterflosser-for-kids-ages-6/qxp359421

Sometimes you can find them in loca stores.

I use a child's size tooth brush when traveling and keep it in my hanging toiletry bag when it is not in use. I put the Water Pik out of the bathroom between uses.

Even at home we never leave our toothbrushes out in the open bathroom. Unless your toilet is in a seperate room with a door, there will be fine particles of toilet water from flushing (even with the lid closed) in the air in the bathroom. Studies have shown fecal contaminated toothbrushes that are kept on bathroom countertops.

Totally agree. Can't understand why anyone would leave a toothbrush in the same area as a toilet.

Our toothbrushes come out of their holders and go in one of 3 mugs from the buffet along with tooth paste. My husband's razor, shaving cream and maybe combs go in mug #2. Misc. stuff goes in mug #3. We don't use glasses for any thing but water. (Never seen even one bug on a cruise ship!)

Just started packing for our next cruise and found new toothbrush holders that I bought a while ago. Just wondering, what do you do with your toothbrush on a cruise? We usually put them in one of the glasses. These new holders have a suction cup on the back so you can stick them to the mirror.
I want this product!
Toothbrushes should be changed after any illness (ie flu or cold)
Alternately, you can run your toothbrush through the dishwasher (or boil it, if you don't have a dishwasher).

I only like one type of toothbrush, and it costs about five dollars -- if I've just bought a new one, I'd rather disinfect it than throw it away.

We stick 'em in a glass on the counter....why would you do anything different with a toothbrush on a cruise than you would do elsewhere???? (That's why you close the top of the toilet when flushing!!! 60+ years, and we're still kickin'!)

Archived