underwater camera

cutiepiefred

I bought a Samsung hmx w200. Works great. Actually takes better pictures than my digital camera. Drawbacks is that it takes micro sd card and you have to charge with computer or adapter which I use the charger for my iPhone. It does take good underwater pictures.

I am one of those that does tons of research before I buy and after all that I bought the Nikon Coolpix AW100, the best for the price I was willing to spend ($300 with all supplies). It uses a normal SD card and takes both pictures and video. I have had no problems with it and the pictures and video have come out great. The case is very well designed and no issues with water seeping into it at all. Either one of those you mentioned are good cameras and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

What do you guys recommend for a digital underwater camera. I'm looking at either a Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Waterproof, Shockproof or Nikon Coolpix S30 Shock & Waterproof Digital Camera. Or any other you would recommend thanks

I bought the "lower" version of the Stylus and been quite happy with it.

I had done extensive research and people said the time lag on the Nikon was a worry. Fish are not going to sit still while a computerized camera takes too long to compute!

I have the Olympus Tough TG-820 and love it. I haven't tested it under water yet but went to Niagara Falls this past summer and it got really wet with no problems.

I plan to give it a good test snorkeling at GSC next week. :D

We have the Olympus and have been very pleased. Used it at GSC, the hot tub, pool and no problems. It uses a normal SD card, the only downside is the only way to charge the battery is to plug it into a USB port unless you buy the charger separately.

I had done extensive research and people said the time lag on the Nikon was a worry. Fish are not going to sit still while a computerized camera takes too long to compute!

That's interesting, I have had no lag time with either of my Nikons. I will watch to see if anything changes. The Stylus is a brand that never came up as a recommendation when I researched. Will have to look into that brand if I ever need another camera.

I've had good luck with Sealife cameras... here's a link http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/camdig/SL330

The "SPY" mode offers a timed interval continuous shooting capability to when those pesky fish wont hold still.

Olympus is the pioneer in UW point and shoot cameras.

Now, all the major suppliers (canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax) make them.

I have an old Pentax and an old Olympus. Both are over 4 years old and still work fine. The biggest problem folks have with P&S cameras is setting them on "auto ISO" which causes the camera to shoot at very high ISO resulting in pictures with very high grain appearance.

There is not that much difference in the brands, just get the one for the best price.

Recently bought a Panasonic TS-20. It worked fine getting wet on a kayaking trip but haven't had it underwater yet. Pictures are pretty good for the price. Found it for 99.00 on Amazon. It doesn't take as good of pictures as our primary camera, just wanted something specifically for wet conditions.

Recently bought a Panasonic TS-20. It worked fine getting wet on a kayaking trip but haven't had it underwater yet. Pictures are pretty good for the price. Found it for 99.00 on Amazon. It doesn't take as good of pictures as our primary camera, just wanted something specifically for wet conditions.

Very good point.

A digital P&S UW camera should not be used as your primary camera (unless that's all you have). You are paying $$ for the UW and shock-proff housing, thus the actual camera image quality is not much better than an entry level P&S.

You are welcome and enjoy the upcoming cruise. We leave in 6 weeks for San Juan, combined with a 7-day cruise and stay on the SW end of the island.

Just remember to use forced fill-in flash in lieu of high ISO and your images will be OK. High ISO is a feature that belongs only on DSLRs.

We have used a canon d10 for about a year and a half. We've used it snorkeling and in the pool several times and been very pleased with both pictures and videos. My only knock on it would be that its a little bulky and doesn't fit easily in a shirt pocket. A true plus would be the ability to position the wrist strap on any of the four corners...convenient.

We just got a nikon aw100 and look forward to trying it out.

We also just bought the Nikon Coolpix AW 100 from Amazon.com, extra battery,

protective case and float wrist strap.

Also found a great deal on a 2 year Nikon extended warranty on Ebay for $9.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370666876680....m, 1497.l2649

After hours of research,this camera was the best value for me, without spending a ton of money. Time will tell.

Tom :cool:

• 2 months later...

Decent is relative. If you just want it for light snorkeling/splash protection, I would go with the designed UW cameras you can get new for about $200 or so. You can keep an eye on ebay as well. I was looking for a second underwater strobe and found a set on ebay for $300 that included a G10 with ikelite housing and D125 strobe (outdated, but still good). For diving, the key to remember is that lighting will cost more than the camera. A good strobe is key to good pictures.

Decent is relative. If you just want it for light snorkeling/splash protection, I would go with the designed UW cameras you can get new for about $200 or so. You can keep an eye on ebay as well. I was looking for a second underwater strobe and found a set on ebay for $300 that included a G10 with ikelite housing and D125 strobe (outdated, but still good). For diving, the key to remember is that lighting will cost more than the camera. A good strobe is key to good pictures.

thanks for your reply and I have been reading a bit over the internet and have come to the conclusion that I will need to probably pay closer or over 200 $ for a more decent UW camera. mostly want it for snorkeling..and it needs to be able to take video as well.

Most every P/S camera now will do video as well. Canon sells an underwater housing for most of their cameras if you already have the camera or can get one cheap. Most of the housing are ~$130 or so. Next higher end is an Ikelite housing, but many of those do not allow the use of the internal flash, which is important underwater.

thanks for your reply and I have been reading a bit over the internet and have come to the conclusion that I will need to probably pay closer or over 200 $ for a more decent UW camera. mostly want it for snorkeling..and it needs to be able to take video as well.

Check out the Fuji XP100. Bought one at Sam's last month for $179, saw it there yesterday for $149. It is freeze resistant, shock resistant, waterproof to 33', has several automatic underwater scene modes, scene recognition, 14 mp, 1080 high def video, one-button video, and a double lock system to keep you from opening it unintentionally. So far, great pictures. I am very pleased with mine.

Check out the Fuji XP100. Bought one at Sam's last month for $179, saw it there yesterday for $149. It is freeze resistant, shock resistant, waterproof to 33', has several automatic underwater scene modes, scene recognition, 14 mp, 1080 high def video, one-button video, and a double lock system to keep you from opening it unintentionally. So far, great pictures. I am very pleased with mine.

Hi Chalker Guy,

thanks for that. I also have been looking at these models; Canon PowerShot D20 , Nikon Coolpix AW100, Olympus Tough TG-1, and Panasonic Lumix TS4

anyone have any thoughts about any of the above camera ?

Archived