Allure Crew members arrested

Jimmel Thom was our cabin steward onboard Allure last September. Seemed like a nice guy. I guess you never can tell about someone...
He probably is a nice guy, generally speaking. Most mules are not a lot different than the average person, other than being susceptible to a "quick money" scheme.

Another "Black Eye" for Royal Caribbean...

And that is because no employee of any other line has been arrested for criminal activity? Please! :rolleyes: In any large corporation incidents such as this one are pretty much inevitable and to imply that RCI's eye should be any blacker than any other company that has employees who have been guilty of similar criminal behavior is just beyond the pale. Seems that in this situation it was RCI that discovered the illicit activity and reported it to the law enforcement authorities who arrested the miscreants. If that is the case, RCI deserves credit not criticism, but some will seize any opportunity to cast Royal Caribbean in an unfriendly light.

Last cruise coming back through Miami the drug dogs tagged me for some reason and customs searched me. They were very polite about it. They didn't search too thoroughly, I guess an older guy with wife and small kids in tow doesn't quite fit the profile.

Still don't know what excited those dogs.

I heard or read the following story somewhere (oh how the memory fades....). A couple were staying with friends in france. when they went to pack to go home they didn't have enough room for all their souvenirs. They borrowed a suitcase from their friends. When they arrived back in the states a drug dog went nuts by the suitcase. The dog wasn't giving off the normal drug signal but was really reacting to the bag. Customs agents opened the bag, found nothing and sent them on their way. They called their friends when they got back home and told them what happened - turns out their cat used to use that suitcase for a bed.

Why is anyone surprised about this? 2 people out of nearly 2400 people, that's about 0.08% of the crew. I'll bet there are at least 0.08% crooks in any profession: doctors, lawyers, teachers, car salesman.

Surely, you jest.:eek:;)

I took the OP comment to mean so sad that people feel a need to do this and mess with drugs etc. not so sad that they were arrested.

Lets see if she clarifies it for us - :-)

Yes I posted this because it is sad that this person felt the need that he needed to smuggle drugs for the money. I know that alot of the crew members are not paid well in their home country and that is one reason why they work on the ships. We have talked to crew on our other cruises and that is the main reason they leave their country to work on the ships. Yes, he did something illegal and was caught and arrested, he has messed up his and his family life.

I hate that and sad for his family:(! I am going to be on the Allure the week of Thanksgiving and looking forward to our cruise.

I always thought the dogs were there to sniffout stolen pool towels, but then they decided to charge for them instead :D

Every time I have been to Port Canaveral there have been several drug sniffing dogs hanging out. I can't imagine even trying to smuggle drugs in.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I'd guess that we'd hear more about drug smuggling crew members from Caribbean ports except that RCCL seems to direct their security screening resources to catching someone bringing on a bottle of wine or a pocket knife in their luggage.:eek:

First of all, crewmembers aren't the only ones that smuggle.

True, more of them ARE crewmembers, regardless of the cruise line. And it happens a heck of a lot more frequently than is publicized by the media! So whether the news is reporting more on RCCL over others, that's just bad luck, is all. But it happens A LOT. It is sad yes.

From another perspective though, I do remember from when I worked on ships, that some crew would jokingly say (in a mildly serious tone), that if you're going to get caught, you better hope to heck that it's in the US. Whichever port they get caught is the one that they go to jail in as the cruise lines would leave that person with the authorities to be dealt with there. Imagine doing that in a port like Columbia, Panama, or St. Lucia.

But to the point of my post, I distinctly remember one time a piece of luggage was never claimed at the Guest Relations Desk. You know, when they are distributing luggage and one loses it's luggage tag, it goes there to be claimed by the passenger missing their one peice of luggage? Well one cruise, a roll on peice of luggage was never claimed, and it sat there until the end of the cruise. Being a buys voyage, no one bothered to look inside (luggage lock). The standard practice is to relinquish the luggage back to the port authority at the home port. The Guest Relations Manager did just that, and the dogs went crazy. Turned out it was full of "organic" illegal drugs... lol. Wow! Did the Guest Relations Manager have to do some fancy talking for that one!

So you see, regardless of whether you work on the ship, or travel on one as a passenger, or wheter you are poor or not, it really could be ANYONE!:eek:

Archived