Why Cruise to ALASKA ????

Heirloom

I'm the opposite, I despise warm/humid weather and can't fathom having any fun on a warm-weather cruise. I'm the crazy girl from Michigan who wears a T-shirt out in the snow, so I guess Alaska is an ideal destination for me. For the record, we've never had cold or even cool weather on any of our previous cruises to Alaska. I always joke that if anyone wants warm weather and sunshine on their Alaskan cruise, book the week we're cruising. It never fails to be sunny and downright toasty. In 2009, it hit 90 degrees the day we were docked in Juneau. I think the heat just follows me wherever I go. :)

I have a link below to our 2010 Alaskan cruise. Not sure what happened to my prior cruise links, but that one is still available. Just a few pictures showing you the beauty of Alaska. This was the one cruise that we had slight drizzle one afternoon, otherwise it was warm and sunny.

People go to Alaska for the scenery, live a little of its history and the opportunity to see wildlife. However, I can also see the OP point of view, having now been to Alaska 17 times and the Yukon many more times than that I have reached the point in my life that I much prefer a warm weather cruise...but that is just me.

My husband and I just started cruising a few years ago. We had done 2 caribbean cruises. This August we went to Alaska for our 25th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday. I am still pinching myself as I can't believe we were there. I look at the 700 pictures in 3 photo albums a lot.

Most people think of Alaska as a once in a lifetime trip. We want to go back. When you read on these boards, most people have been there many times and are still planning the next trip.

How do I describe Alaska?

Supercalifragalisticexpealidocious........breath-taking......absolute peace.....I know this may sound weird but out of body experience......

It's something not capable of being described and you have to experience it for yourself.

I sure hope you get there some day!

Great posts. I especially like the one from A. Island Princess as I feel the same way. Yes, Alaska has also wrapped itself around my soul. I love the Caribbean and Alaska was never of much interest to me (mainly due to the weather) til I decided to give it a go. I have been back 8 or 9 times and going again next June and think about it every day! Alaska has definately stolen my heart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb

Well the other two options are drive or fly and it just doesn't compare. Having worked in northern BC and actually further Northern than most of the Alaska cruises go a cruise up there was on the back burner for when we couldn't fly or hardly walk anymore. Sun and sand for us for sure.

We did however end up with a great percentage off a cruise within a certain time frame and couldn't afford the Whole enchilada to go across to Fl. for another Caribbean Cruise.

Drove to Vancouver walked on and walked of 7 days later saying. "Going to do this again"......and we have a bunch of times. We can still go again when we are older :D

The scenery from the water and people and those AK Ports make it a great experience. Picking a ship with heated pools and hot tubs with big indoor facilities really helps too. But like others have said who knows about the weather. We got a tan in Ketchikan on one of our trips. Only a bit of drizzle on most others. But on one cruise it really really rained on two days.

Try it you will like it.

We like cruising to warm places in the Caribbean.

. . .

So while we haven't done Alaskan cruise yet.....somehow just can't seem to understand how a cruise ship matches up with such a COLD.....or at very least UNWARM environment.

. . .

So can't figure out...really.....what's the attraction of a less than tanning cruise on a cruise ship ? Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

That's exactly how I felt until I took my first Alaska cruise. A chair on the beach and a frozen beverage with an umbrella in it was my idea of the perfect vacation.

Then I found myself in desparate need of a vacation but hurricane season had started. Everyone I knew who had gone to Alaska raved about how beautiful it was. So, I threw caution to the wind and decided to see what they were all talking about.

I was completely blown away by the majesty that surrounded me. Alaska grabbed my heart and soul in a way that I never expected. I've seen numerous mountains, sparkling lakes and waterfalls in my travels, but nothing compares to the grandeur I experienced in Alaska.

It's nature at its best and, in my opinion, the most beautiful place on earth.

That's exactly how I felt until I took my first Alaska cruise. A chair on the beach and a frozen beverage with an umbrella in it was my idea of the perfect vacation.

Then I found myself in desparate need of a vacation but hurricane season had started. Everyone I knew who had gone to Alaska raved about how beautiful it was. So, I threw caution to the wind and decided to see what they were all talking about.

I was completely blown away by the majesty that surrounded me. Alaska grabbed my heart and soul in a way that I never expected. I've seen numerous mountains, sparkling lakes and waterfalls in my travels, but nothing compares to the grandeur I experienced in Alaska.

It's nature at its best and, in my opinion, the most beautiful place on earth.

I completely agree with your description......I don't know what expectations I had, but it was above and beyond anything I could've imagined. It stole my heart too.

Alaska is very different cruising comparing other itineraries. It is not for everyone. :)

My first trip in 1994 was to be an "only" trip. It was a specifically selected trip however, that I wished to tour. I have returned 31 times. I am fortunate to be able to do so, spending at least 4 weeks the last few years, per year. There is so much to see and do, and even with my repeative touring, it is always enjoyed by me. I can't get away from it, and I do find it alarming at times, due to the world being small and other touring areas of interest. :) Just can't fit them all in. I have added Hawaii, with the humpbacks:) every year for 3 weeks.

Look within yourself, your answers are there, it will be an easy decision to include Alaska or not. Do your homework, and read. Plenty of informative trip reports to consider.

I know you've already heard many answers but I want to add mine. I haven't cruised to Alaska yet, but I have it booked for next summer, and in my opinion, it seems like the perfect place for a cruise. In Alaska, you have wonderful views from the ship and full days in port (at least on the itinerary we chose), allowing you ample time to experience each port. I'm so looking forward to cruising the inside passage, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Again, just my opinion, yours may differ, but to me, that holds much more appeal than a typical sea day where no land is visible.

I've cruised the Caribbean, and while I enjoyed it, I much prefer land based vacations there and other island destinations. When I take a beach vacation, I want the sand between my toes. All the time, not just for a few hours, then rush back to the ship before it leaves in the middle of the afternoon.

DH and I are beach people, too. We love the sun and warm weather.That is a relaxing vacation.

Alaska is nt that tyoe of vacation. For us it was very high energy. It was port intensive and we sdded a land tour. Even on the ship we were frequently looking at scenery. A ship is the best way to see the panhandle of AK.

Before we booked an AK cruise we asked other cruisers about their experiences. We NEVER found one person that didn't like the cruise. Some talked about temp or rain--but, they all said they loved it and would do it again. So, we went on the last NB from Vancouver aboard the Radiance of the Seas. We had good weather, rainy weather and even snow in Denali on the land tour. We saw the mountain!! We will do it again in a couple of years.

The only negative is the cost of airfare/luggage fees to Vancouver and back from AK. [We took coats with hoods and used them--I told the DH that if I realized I would take almost all of my pics in my coat I would have brought one that was beter looking].:p

I've cruised the Caribbean, and while I enjoyed it, I much prefer land based vacations there and other island destinations. When I take a beach vacation, I want the sand between my toes. All the time, not just for a few hours, then rush back to the ship before it leaves in the middle of the afternoon.

I've only cruised to Alaska, and the above is why I don't "get" why people take Caribbean cruises. I haven't traveled much, but I've been to Hawaii and to an AI in Jamaica. Honestly, if I'm going to go to the beach, I want to just relax and enjoy it. I want to pick up my snorkel gear any darn time I want and just go, not wait until we are in port, stand in line to get off the ship, take a bus somewhere, etc.

To me, Alaska makes more sense as a cruise. You can't even get to most of the ports except by plane or boat. I am from the Seattle area, so the west coast convenience is part of it for me too. Also, I have used the pools and hot tubs on every one of my Alaskan cruises, and I have gotten sunburned twice. Remember, if you are sailing in/out of Seattle or Vancouver, that first/last sea day can be quite nice weather. This year I got sunburned sitting by the pool while we were leaving Ketchikan! Burned so badly that I wished I had aloe, and they don't sell it in the shops on Alaskan cruises. :eek:

Planning my 6th Alaskan cruise for July 2013....

I've lived up here for 36 years now. One Summer, many years ago, I was camping on the beach by the Kenai River. A family of Samoans (yes, from Samoa) were camping near by. One day over breakfast, we were chatting and I asked them why would they want to move up here from such a tropical paradise. I mean, Alaska is cold and has snow...

He told me that they came here because they were tired of Samoa and the tropics and were looking for a real change of place. They found it and loved Alaska.

So, there is your answer. Like you, they were board with the lounging on the beach stuff and were looking for adventure. They found it in Alaska. It is like no place else on earth. You have to see it to believe it.

Buy some warm clothes, stay in an inside room and drink lots of hot liquids-but come and see for yourself what captivated a family of Samoans.....

Most people that cruise to Alaska seem to agree that it's one of the best cruises of their lives. We'll find out in a few more months! :)

Cruising only in the Caribbean seems a bit limited. There are so many places in the world to explore, and thankfully you can reach many of these places by water!

Be open to new options, even if they take you away from your comfort zone. In addition to discovering the glaciers of Alaska, you could also discover Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, Australia, the South Pacific, South America, Asia, and more. ALL accessible on a cruise ship! :)

What date are you going to Alaska? We are booked on May 18 on the Jewel. Looking forward to a relaxing vacation!

One of my bucket list items is to spend at least a week in all 50 states. I wanted to be able to say "I've seen North America's tallest peak" (just hope I'm one of the 30% ers!). My oldest son graduates high school in 2014 and wanted to go on a cruise for his graduation present. Alaska seemed like a good fit- then I started researching and OMG I can't wait to get up there! I talked DH into an extra week so we could do a DIY land tour and I'm so excited! A couple of previous posters talked about AK grabbing their souls, well I feel that way and all I've seen are pictures!

It's so vast and there is so much to see, that this will not be our only trip. My youngest graduates high school in 2018 so we'll take his graduation trip in 2017. Right now he's talking about going on a Mediterranean cruise, but I'm hoping the cruise next June will change his mind and we'll be going back to AK!

I really want to cruise. DH really wants to see some of Alaska without spending a lot of time on land in cars/buses/trains. :rolleyes:

So an Alaska cruise is win/win. Will we see everything we could if I could get him on a train to the interior? No, but we will still get to experience some of what Alaska has to offer.

Im going to play a bit of a devils advocate here. But after two cruises to Alaska my wife and I both said we are "Alaska'd out". We certainly haven't done very sort of tour available. In fact all we have done is Harv and Marvs, the White Pass Railway and a Klingit tour of Ketchikan and the surrounding area.

I think alot of the excursions are extremely overpriced to very similar things in other parts of the country. I realise they have to make their money as they have a short lived tourist season, but as an example. I paid $165 per person with Harv and Marvs this year. Nice trip, saw some whales but not to many, though I know it was mainly due to the time of year.

But , we have been whale watching out of Barnstaple on Cape Cod at the exact same time of year, bigger boat, but masses more whales and paid $40 per person. Same length trip.

But I digress. Like anything else in the world, food, entertainment etc..its all subjective. My opinion will obviously not be the same as someone who has gone 10 times to Alaska. We love to experience different things, spread our wings when it comes to travelling and to me, cruising, is not the b all and end all for holidays. I like to spend days in cities, not hours like you will do on cruise excursions. I want to have the time to explore and wander off the beaten path, not be restricted to a strict time policy that I have to return to the ship by. Thats probably why we have only done two b2b cruises in 5 years.

The only reason we would return to do an Alaskan cruise would be to take my mother in law who has never cruised and if she was able to, this would be her choice.

The only other reason we would return to Alaska is to do a land holiday, drive the Alaskan highway etc. and not set foot on a ship!

Pete

Archived