New to Celebrity - Beverage package questions

Sutho

The packages are awesome - we get the premium, and we have found it to be a great deal!!

Is the "pay the difference" feature new? We've done two cruises on the Equinox with the premium package, and there was no option to pay the difference if the beverage exceeded the allowable limit. It was no big deal, and the only that would have been a factor was for wine by the glass above $13.00/glass. There were some decent selections at that price, so it wasn't an issue, but it would be nice to know for our next cruise on the Silhouette next year.

• 1 month later...

We are considering the premium package for our Solstice cruise next month but I am a little concerned with the upper limit as specified ($US12.00). The bar menus posted from Solstice last week on the Australia and NZ cruisers board show a cost of $11.50 per martini (or cocktail). If there is 15% gratuity on top then this will make the cost $13.25, over the amount. There would be no cocktails that would come in under the $12 even though Celebrity advertise the premium package as "In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving."

Anyone able to shed light on this - were cocktails included?

We are considering the premium package for our Solstice cruise next month but I am a little concerned with the upper limit as specified ($US12.00). The bar menus posted from Solstice last week on the Australia and NZ cruisers board show a cost of $11.50 per martini (or cocktail). If there is 15% gratuity on top then this will make the cost $13.25, over the amount. There would be no cocktails that would come in under the $12 even though Celebrity advertise the premium package as "In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving."

Anyone able to shed light on this - were cocktails included?

In my experience the listed price included the gratuity so you only needed to heed the listed price for the purposes of choosing a drink that would fit within the package.

I also notice that a few posters queried the $2.00 cost of my Martinis last year. Yes I was on the classic package and yes I only paid the difference between the cost that was covered by my package of USD$8 and the USD$10 cost of the drink. I signed off on a chit for $2.00.

In my experience the listed price included the gratuity so you only needed to heed the listed price for the purposes of choosing a drink that would fit within the package.

If the listed price includes the gratuity it is fine and the advertising makes sense. The chits I signed on the one nighter listed the gratuity separately (except for coffee on the departure morning which was shown as $5.25 on the menu and the chit. the day before it was listed as $4.40 plus the gratuity, making it the same cost). My wine in Blu was listed on the menu as $7.50 and when the chit came the 15% was added on top.

Hence my question about the price of cocktails (I am partial to the odd one before dinner).

By the way - $5.25 seems very expensive for a cappuccino especially as the going price on the beverage list posted elsewhere is $4.00. Celebrity seem to have put their drink prices up somewhat over 2012.

By the way - $5.25 seems very expensive for a cappuccino especially as the going price on the beverage list posted elsewhere is $4.00. Celebrity seem to have put their drink prices up somewhat over 2012.

.... And if our experience from last year is any guide they will be small coffees and not particularly well made. We noted on some days that the cappuccinos were made with UHT (long life) milk and there was no occasion on board where I was able to say "ah, that's a good coffee". However the alternatives available in the urns or coffee pots is so much worse.

Aussies are very spoiled with our coffee choices here.

I also notice that a few posters queried the $2.00 cost of my Martinis last year. Yes I was on the classic package and yes I only paid the difference between the cost that was covered by my package of USD$8 and the USD$10 cost of the drink. I signed off on a chit for $2.00.

That is correct - when you purchase the beverage package, they charge the gratuity on that, so you've paid one total price. So, when you are looking at your drink choices, you are only concerned with the actual cost of the drink - don't worry that the gratuity would push it over the limit.

Interesting that they now let you pay the difference for the drink. We've done the premium package twice, and it wasn't an option.

DW and I cruise a lot on Celebrity, but neither of us has ever bought any drink package. We'd be floating away just to get our money's worth, and the thought of having 5 or 6 hits a day is enough to dissuade us. We like a nip or two and wine with dinner, but we've always found the packages excessive to our needs, pricewise and "liverwise". But to each his own.

We're weighing up whether or not to get the Premium Drinks Package on our Solstice voyage March 2013. A big part of the appeal is that decent juices, assorted soft drinks/mocktails, coffee and sparkling waters are included, as well as a good selection of beers, spirits and wine. I think those non-alcoholic items are quite expensive, so even very moderate drinkers of alcohol could get their 'monies worth' by taking a Package it seems: And sometimes, especially on holiday, 'moderate' is a relative term! However, I agree absolutely - to each his own! Best wishes.

I just completed a Celebrity cruise and pondered the package and finally decided to go for the premium. My experience was very positive. First, since the package includes the gratuity, you should factor that out to the net cost of the beverages itself. I found that with a couple of premium waters (Pellegrino my favorite), a regular water, an ice coffee or two, a beer, one martini (one my definite limit), a glass of good wine and a nightcap (champagne, baileys after dinner etc.) per day, I was already on the plus side of the cost of the package. And anyone who thinks that it is hard to get service with the card, nothing could be further from the truth. All beverage service was prompt, efficient and always with a smile.

G'day, we are sailing with Sutho, the author of this thread. Our first Celebrity cruise, having done around 14 with Princess and a couple with other lines. We too have been discussing the classic package, re alcohol. For a couple the classic package would be around $85 per day. NOW: We drink the ship's own water. Don't buy 'special coffees' and drink on board as we do at home, generally one or two pre dinner drink(s) (cider or glass of house wine) and share a bottle of cheaper wine in the MDR at dinner, most times drinking all the bottle, a few times not, but finishing it next night. No after dinner drinking for us.

I have checked Celebrity's drinks list and found there are a few wines around the $30 per bottle mark or just under, which will do us. So I am thinking our combined alcohol bill per day will be around $50 per day or maybe even less. Not forgetting we will have our take on two bottles of vino, plus the complimentary one from Celebrity as we are in Concierge Class, correct? We would have a pre dinner balcony drink with these some days.

So the equation.. at this stage I think we will pay as we go on board, with the booze.

Whay say ye?

Edited by NSWP

G'day, we are sailing with Sutho, the author of this thread. Our first Celebrity cruise, having done around 14 with Princess and a couple with other lines. We too have been discussing the classic package, re alcohol. For a couple the classic package would be around $85 per day. NOW: We drink the ship's own water. Don't buy 'special coffees' and drink on board as we do at home, generally one or two pre dinner drink(s) (cider or glass of house wine) and share a bottle of cheaper wine in the MDR at dinner, most times drinking all the bottle, a few times not, but finishing it next night. No after dinner drinking for us.

I have checked Celebrity's drinks list and found there are a few wines around the $30 per bottle mark or just under, which will do us. So I am thinking our combined alcohol bill per day will be around $50 per day or maybe even less. Not forgetting we will have our take on two bottles of vino, plus the complimentary one from Celebrity as we are in Concierge Class, correct? We would have a pre dinner balcony drink with these some days.

So the equation.. at this stage I think we will pay as we go on board, with the booze.

Whay say ye?

That's the same conclusion I came to.

Even if we buy a more expensive bottle of wine at dinner - that wouldn't be covered by the package and none of the "by the glass" wines looked very interesting. Plus, we're in Aqua class and get bottled water and fresh squeezed juices included.

The all-inclusive packages sound interesting but they just don't add up financially to me.

Whay say ye?

Hi Les

That logic is quite sound and is exactly why the packages don't suit everyone. While a package suits us, my Mum who travelled with us last year did not and was quite satisfied with her arrangements.

NSWP, from your predicted drinking pattern, I would say PAYG would work out better for you. If you find you are drinking more than expected over the first few days, i.e. over $44, you can purchase the package onboard.

We had the premium alcohol package last year and PAYG for alcohol this year - we had the non alcohol classic package this time.

Loved the alcohol package but it didn't love us as we drank too much and felt unwell many mornings :( which is why we opted to PAYG this time.

We knew we would think twice before ordering another Martini. It's so tempting and they are delicious, but VERY strong.

It's a great deal, if you can manage the drinks without feeling unwell. We're lightweights. :rolleyes:

On PAYG we drank whatever we wanted: beers, carafe of housewine with lunch, the more expensive wines by the glass at dinner, e.g. Pouilly Fume and Pinot Noir, G&Ts, Martini and came out just under the classic package price for 12 days.

TBH we didn't make good enough use of the non alcohol package. I still used the ship's iced water on deck and we don't drink cans of soda. Couple of coffees and fresh O/J, bottle of water for the cabin (to share) and we were still under the $14, so won't bother with that again.

It wasn't an exercise to save money. One more drink a day would have taken us up to the Classic alcohol price. :)

NSWP, from your predicted drinking pattern, I would say PAYG would work out better for you. If you find you are drinking more than expected over the first few days, i.e. over $44, you can purchase the package onboard.

We had the premium alcohol package last year and PAYG for alcohol this year - we had the non alcohol classic package this time.

Loved the alcohol package but it didn't love us as we drank too much and felt unwell many mornings :( which is why we opted to PAYG this time.

We knew we would think twice before ordering another Martini. It's so tempting and they are delicious, but VERY strong.

It's a great deal, if you can manage the drinks without feeling unwell. We're lightweights. :rolleyes:

On PAYG we drank whatever we wanted: beers, carafe of housewine with lunch, the more expensive wines by the glass at dinner, e.g. Pouilly Fume and Pinot Noir, G&Ts, Martini and came out just under the classic package price for 12 days.

TBH we didn't make good enough use of the non alcohol package. I still used the ship's iced water on deck and we don't drink cans of soda. Couple of coffees and fresh O/J, bottle of water for the cabin (to share) and we were still under the $14, so won't bother with that again.

It wasn't an exercise to save money. One more drink a day would have taken us up to the Classic alcohol price. :)

Thanks for your advice and comments. We love a drink and I think if we took the package we would go over the top with the booze and like you, feel rather unwell. So PAYG for us is a 'control measure' as well.

The seas between Australia and NZ are often unkind. In fact I have been in 40 foot seas off the NZ south island on ye olde Regal Princess in 2007, not nice and glad I did not have a hangover then.LOL.

Edited by NSWP

After reading a bunch of posts I decided to buy the Premium Package for my wife and myself. The total cost was about $391pp. We are moderate drinkers but because we didn't have to drink just alcohol I figured it was worth trying. I did my best to keep track of what we drank and the approximate cost of each drink. The combined list is below.

Pros:

Drink whatever the heck you want

We drank bottled water constantly which helped us stay well hydrated

We brought bottles of water back to the room (this was great)

We had cappucinos at the coffee bar reguarly and they were fantastic

No signing or little receipts to deal with

If you go over the $12 limit you just pay the difference

Got to try many of the Molecular Bar cocktails

Cons

I'm a bit competitive so I probably had a few drinks when I

otherwise might not have. That said...I never even got tipsy at all.

Final count (give or take) we drank about $990 (including 15% gratuity)

Would I do it again? YES...mainly because it was "freeing" to just get what I wanted and not have to sign for anything. Coming out ahead was a plus.

Here's the list ($'s are close and are not exact) Please forgive spelling errors:

SATURDAYCorona5Corona5Corona 5Malibu orange 6 Double baileys10Large evian4.5Double baileys 10Grapefruit margarita6Large pelegrino4.5Small evian2.5Small evian2.5Prosecco7Cava7Conundrum white12Dry creek Zinfandel12Dry creek Zinfandel12Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5SUNDAYBloody Mary6Mimosa6Cappuccino4.5Piña colada6Piña colada6Mojito6Makers6Mint julep6Evian large4.5Red stripe5Red stripe5Evian large4.5Grapefruit margarita6Prosecco7Riesling8Pouilly8Pelligrino large4.5Pelligrino large4.5Chiarello cab12Red wine12Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5Stella6MONDAYbloody Mary6Mimosa6Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5Evian large4.5Evian large4.5Coke2Coke2Evian small2.5Evian small2.5Cappuccino baileys7Cappuccino frangelica7Molecular bar cocktail12Molecular bar cocktail12Molecular bar cocktail12Riesling8Conundrum white12Zinfandel Rutherford8Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5TUESDAYEvian large4.5Evian large4.5Rum punch6Mango rum smoothie6Double piña colada8Prosecco7Domain Chandon9Conundrum12Dry creek Zinfandel12Dry creek Zinfandel12Riesling dessert10Sauternes8Piña colada6Small evian2.5WEDNESDAYlarge Evan4.5Grapefruit juice2.5Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5Grapefruit margarita6Grapefruit margarita6Rum punch6Rum punch6Double baileys10Double baileys10Fancy cocktail aurora8White wine8Domaine Chandon brut8Domaine Chandon brut8Riesling8Pinot noir8Bordeaux10Sauternes8Tokaji8Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5Large Evan4.5Large pelligrino4.5THURSDAYbloody Mary6Bloody Mary6Cappuccino4.5Large Evian4.5Fancy cocktail Aurora8Piña colada6Domain Chandon brut8Domain Chandon brut8Dry creek Zinfandel12Conundrum12Cappuccino4.5Cappuccino4.5FRIDAYgwertraimar10Riesling10Riesling10Pelligrino4.5Pelligrino4.5Tokaji7Tokaji7Molecular cocktail12Molecular cocktail12Molecular cocktail12Molecular cocktail12Large Evian4.5Cava champaign7Merlot7Reisling7subtotal858.5included tip128.775total987.275

I have decided to go for the package for my upcoming cruise. I weighed up the options and figured that it would be more cost effective for me to purchase it.

1). I like fresh juice for breakfast and it is included.

2). I like soft drinks with lunch and snacks throughout the day.

3). With any alcohol I may have of an evening I calculated it would take me over the cost of the package considering I would have bought a few soft drinks earlier in the day.

It also had coffee and other sorts of non alcoholic drinks included.

Hi I was wondering if the inboard shied ice water tasted palatable ?

• 1 year later...
I am getting a classic beverage package on a celebrity cruise in March. Can I upgrade it to a premium package and how much will it cost?

Yes you can

The Classic Alcohol Pkg normally sells for $ 49 US + 15% Grats per day / night

The Premium Alcohol Pkg normally sells for $ 59 US + 15% Grats per day / night

If you have the Classic Alcohol Pkg in place under one of Celebrity's Recent Booking Incentives and wish to Upgrade to The Premium you can do so for the difference in price of $ 10 US + 15% Grat = $ 11.50 US per day / night *

You can call in your Upgrade before you cruise. Be sure & specify which offer you got the Classic under as the Reps have to punch in the correct code to just charge you the difference (ie 123Go Classic Alcohol to Premium Alcohol Upgrade)

know that some on CC have reported that there have been some issues with Phone Reps not knowing have all the relative Codes (ie 123Go - Pick Your Perk - All Inclusive)

For many, myself included... We will do it on the ship where the crew is very familiar with the process (lots of people upgrade). Can be done at Guest Relations or any Bar. Great way to use OBC too if you have some.

Just be aware...

* When Upgrading on the Ship... Your Upgraded Pkg will be effective immediately (they will put a Premium Sticker on your SeaPass Card) and the Upgrade Charge will be based on how many Nights still remain on your cruise. The Upgrade is not retroactive... So any charges that have already been accrued to your SeaPass Card will remain there. Your Pkg is then good thru to the time you finally disembark on the last day of your cruise.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

• 3 weeks later...
My husband and I bought each other the Premium Alcohol Drink Package for each other for Christmas... This is our first cruise... Is there a limit on the number of drinks (alcohol and non) you can have per day?

No limit, but if you plan to go to the bar to get two drinks, one for each of you, you will need both boarding passes. You can't get drinks thru room service unless you pay for them, or use drinks from the mini-bar in the stateroom unless you pay for them.

Thanks for the quick reply!! What if we wanted a carafe of coffee delivered to our room in the morning... Is that included in the package... or do we order each day and pay on our tab? I also dont mind tipping a little extra for our morning coffee...:)

The carafe of coffee is not an extra charge. It is part of room service and a tip is customary.

You can go to cafe al baccio on deck 5 ( if an s class ship) and use your drink package there for a specialty coffee.