Average cost

sweetcurves

Without including spending money, what would you say is the average cost of cruising (6-8 day, North American itinerary)?

We got a GREAT deal on our first cruise and now I'm researching for our second but with very limited dates (I'll be a full time student starting in January), I'm finding it MUCH more expensive than what we paid this time.

Just wondering if it's because of the dates I'm searching or because I got a STEAL of a deal on this last cruise that it seems like it's not so affordable now??

Just to give you an idea, we paid $379/pp (before taxes, grats, etc) for our oceanview, 6 day western Carribbean on Carnival Freedom. That was after one price drop of $40/pp. So the original, ES fare wasn't even that expensive.

So with three nights in a hotel prior to the cruise, a few excursions (not booked through Carnival), and our airfare, we paid just over a grand each for 9 nights away from home. And we spent less than $500 each above and beyond that (food, souvenirs, etc). Now it's looking like I'm going to have to spend at least a grand each just on the cruise and airfare (no extra days in a hotel prior or after the cruise).

Am I being uber cheap or did we really just get an amazing (and evidently unbeatable) deal?!

It does certainly look like the January Freedom prices are not in the neighborhood you paid previous. Since you're limited on when you can take vacation, I would certainly keep my options open as to departure port, itinerary and cruise line.

I see Carnival Destiny 5-night out of Miami (which is barely any distance from Fort Lauderdale) as low as $299 pp base fare for oceanview. The itinerary does visit different ports.

Without including spending money, what would you say is the average cost of cruising (6-8 day, North American itinerary)?

We got a GREAT deal on our first cruise and now I'm researching for our second but with very limited dates (I'll be a full time student starting in January), I'm finding it MUCH more expensive than what we paid this time.

Just wondering if it's because of the dates I'm searching or because I got a STEAL of a deal on this last cruise that it seems like it's not so affordable now??

Just to give you an idea, we paid $379/pp (before taxes, grats, etc) for our oceanview, 6 day western Carribbean on Carnival Freedom. That was after one price drop of $40/pp. So the original, ES fare wasn't even that expensive.

So with three nights in a hotel prior to the cruise, a few excursions (not booked through Carnival), and our airfare, we paid just over a grand each for 9 nights away from home. And we spent less than $500 each above and beyond that (food, souvenirs, etc). Now it's looking like I'm going to have to spend at least a grand each just on the cruise and airfare (no extra days in a hotel prior or after the cruise).

Am I being uber cheap or did we really just get an amazing (and evidently unbeatable) deal?!

It sounds like perhaps you aren't comparing apples to apples. I'm not sure where you went (or intend to go), as "North American itinerary" is somewhat non-specific.

Also, searching for a cruise using "very limited dates" is going to be more expensive if you are working around school dates. Bargains are out there, but your dates need to be somewhat flexible. :)

The airfare alone is probably what is jacking up the cost of your cruise.

There is a great fare of $384/pp on Valor for 7 nights the first week of Dec. if you want to cruise before you go to school full-time. Supply and demand will dictate prices if you're planning around school breaks after Jan.

When do you want to go?

I see you are from Ontario, so am I. We drove to Baltimore a couple of years ago and sailed from there. It was great!! We drove down the day before. It was an 8 hour drive but no airfare for the 3 of us and about 100.00 in gas, we saved a ton. We always fly in the night before anyway, so the hotel cost is a wash.

If you are interested in the Bahamas you could take a 7 night cruise from Baltimore oceanview for 479 plus tax or an 8 night out of New York (depending on where you are in Ontario it could be as little as a 6 hour drive there) starting at 449.00 for 8 nights. These rates are in November and December.

Another option to consider is Spirit Airlines. They have terrible flight times but are UNBELIEVABLY cheap. You can go to FLL from Niagara for under 100.00 return! There are lots of cruises right in the same price range you quoted but you have to get an inside.

Archived