Diamond Level

All rules WERE NOT meant to be broken.

Who said anything about breaking the rules? The concierge has the ability allow one to bring in guests. That is the rule. If someone was sneaking in, then I might see your point, but, not in this case. Besides, it may make good business sense for RCI to allow this. Two customers are happy, and for a relatively small cost.

So, let me get this straight. Being a Diamond member, if I cruised with my not quite Diamond adult daughters (in the same cabin with me), they are not allowed in the Diamond lounge? :(

As I understand RCL's vesting rules, if your "not quite diamond" adult daughters are over 18, then they only have the C&A level that they earned themselves, or the level you earned before they turned 18.

Who said anything about breaking the rules? The concierge has the ability allow one to bring in guests. That is the rule. If someone was sneaking in, then I might see your point, but, not in this case. Besides, it may make good business sense for RCI to allow this. Two customers are happy, and for a relatively small cost.

Oh that good old "makes good busines sense".......let everyone in and make everyone happy.:D Hey, I'm not even diamond yet.:p

I agree with what you are saying but Royal already extends benefits to those that haven't earned them. A spouse and children under 18 automatically are awarded the Diamond member's status. I think (but of course have no way of knowing for sure) that the logic behind the policy was to allow families to all enjoy the benefits when traveling together.

Shuold have clarified about spouse and dependent children.....oops.

For travelers that are not married and have no children, they are not extended the same privilege of having traveling companions join them. If Royal wants to make exceptions in these cases, and it appears they do, I think it is reasonable.

Reasonable to what point.........that is the question? There are always those who will abuse something and in the end, those who played by the rules lose when their earned benefit is no longer offered.

Yes, in fact I emailed RCCL about it prior to a cruise once. The response I received was to speak with the concierge after boarding. If there were not a large number of Diamonds on board, they would likely accommodate the non-Diamonds. If there were they would not. It seemed reasonable to me.

S

Reasonable to what point.........that is the question? There are always those who will abuse something and in the end, those who played by the rules lose when their earned benefit is no longer offered.

I guess that would be up to RCCL. Only they know how many exceptions are being made and to what degree it is affecting the program. I don't look at it as "rule breaking" since they would be following the instructions given by the cruise line which is to check with the concierge upon boarding.

Yes, in fact I emailed RCCL about it prior to a cruise once. The response I received was to speak with the concierge after boarding. If there were not a large number of Diamonds on board, they would likely accommodate the non-Diamonds. If there were they would not. It seemed reasonable to me.

Could you please post that email here and/or the name of who at RCCL signed it? My guess is that it never happened.

The Gold C & A benefits do not state "access to Diamond lounge when it's not too full."

Could you please post that email here and/or the name of who at RCCL signed it? My guess is that it never happened.

The Gold C & A benefits do not state "access to Diamond lounge when it's not too full."

I won't share the email but I would encourage you to pose the same question to RCCL and see what the response is.

I won't share the email but I would encourage you to pose the same question to RCCL and see what the response is.

I knew you didn't have the email nor a contact at RCCL who would verify it. First you posted at 8 something backing someone else up on the post about "just asking." Then two hours or more later you just happened to remember that you had emailed and asked this very question and were told (insert some nonsense).

I would never email RCCL to ask them to break the rules for me on this or any other of the subjects posted here where some of insist you receive unearned benefits for yourselves or those with whom you pick to sail. RCCL make the rules very clear in their C & A benefits and it's just sad that some folks think the rules do not apply to them and could care less that they are putting in jeopardy those very benefits for all those who have actually earned them.

I knew you didn't have the email nor a contact at RCCL who would verify it. First you posted at 8 something backing someone else up on the post about "just asking." Then two hours or more later you just happened to remember that you had emailed and asked this very question and were told (insert some nonsense).

I would never email RCCL to ask them to break the rules for me on this or any other of the subjects posted here where some of insist you receive unearned benefits for yourselves or those with whom you pick to sail. RCCL make the rules very clear in their C & A benefits and it's just sad that some folks think the rules do not apply to them and could care less that they are putting in jeopardy those very benefits for all those who have actually earned them.

Please can you post proof that you have never broken any rules on RCCL ?

Can you also justify your comments about people wanting to break rules? This was my thread and at no time did me or anyone ask or talk about breaking or bending rules (just as cigar king also noted).

Thanks

I would never email RCCL to ask them to break the rules for me on this or any other of the subjects posted here where some of insist you receive unearned benefits for yourselves or those with whom you pick to sail.

Who emailed RCCL asking them to break the rules? Sounds to me like people are just asking the question of whether or not it is OK. I didn't read anything that made me think people were asking RCCL to make this happen, just if it was OK or not.

And who is insisting that they receive these benefits? Again, sounds like people are just asking if its allowed or not.

There is a big difference between a non-Diamond member expecting to receive access to the DL, or trying to sneak in, vs simply asking if its OK. On my first RCI cruise I wasn't Diamond but my fiance at the time (now wife) was Diamond. We simply asked the concierge if it was OK for me to go to the DL with her (as she had no interest in hanging out there by herself) and he said no problem. Had he said no, I would have been cool with that as well.

Now to really stir the pot, once we were married I was able to upgrade my status to Diamond as well. Should I still not be allowed in the DL because I didn't "earn" my status? Heck, she only "earned" her status because her aunt took her on a bunch of cruises over the years. She never paid a dime of her own money to cruise, so what did she do to "earn" her status. Guess we should probably surrender our C&A cards.:rolleyes:

Who emailed RCCL asking them to break the rules? Sounds to me like people are just asking the question of whether or not it is OK. I didn't read anything that made me think people were asking RCCL to make this happen, just if it was OK or not.

And who is insisting that they receive these benefits? Again, sounds like people are just asking if its allowed or not.

There is a big difference between a non-Diamond member expecting to receive access to the DL, or trying to sneak in, vs simply asking if its OK. On my first RCI cruise I wasn't Diamond but my fiance at the time (now wife) was Diamond. We simply asked the concierge if it was OK for me to go to the DL with her (as she had no interest in hanging out there by herself) and he said no problem. Had he said no, I would have been cool with that as well.

Now to really stir the pot, once we were married I was able to upgrade my status to Diamond as well. Should I still not be allowed in the DL because I didn't "earn" my status? Heck, she only "earned" her status because her aunt took her on a bunch of cruises over the years. She never paid a dime of her own money to cruise, so what did she do to "earn" her status. Guess we should probably surrender our C&A cards.:rolleyes:

Good post. Thanks :-)

To the original poster,

Carnival has now introduced a program called FTTF. (Faster to the Fun) For $50 extra, anyone can now "purchase" all the Platinum Perks. Even if you're a 1st time cruiser, plunk down the extra bucks, and you're in. To me it's a slap in the face to all the people who spent $$$$ "earning" their Platinum status, but what do I know.

So hang in there for a little while, and you can probably buy your way in.

I'd love to be able to purchase some more perks.

I have been reading a lot on this and the arguments/debates are over it are really interesting. I wish I had the time and the money to cruise so much I could get some extra nice things, and since I cannot opting to pay a fee to get some nice extras would be the way to go (for myself). I don't see how that has to do with anyone else...no I wouldn't have worked my way up but if I paid a fee to have some extra attention or special events, I would consider that earned enough. I did "earn it"...I earned the money to be able to afford it.

Those who have earned Diamond Status or any type of special status aren't getting titles stripped away, others are just getting a chance to get some nice things and perks as well...but NOT for free, for a price. I'd be someone willing to pay, I wouldn't even mind if the status was named something different, as to not offend the true Diamond members. But Royal doesn't seem to offer this, so it won't be an issue. We will just be buying some packages to try and make our experience and trip customized and special!

RCCL make the rules very clear in their C & A benefits and it's just sad that some folks think the rules do not apply to them and could care less that they are putting in jeopardy those very benefits for all those who have actually earned them.

Of course a stickler for the rules like you must have proof the guests to the diamond lounge is putting it in jeopardy. Please post that proof, and the name of the RCCL rep who told that to you.

Of course a stickler for the rules like you must have proof the guests to the diamond lounge is putting it in jeopardy. Please post that proof, and the name of the RCCL rep who told that to you.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2009/Salutations/09014442-Adam_Announces_C&A_Changes/c&a_changes_update.html

Relevant passage:

We regret that the crowding in our Concierge Lounges prevents us from delivering the experience we intended. It also prevents us from being able to grandfather in Concierge Lounge access for existing Diamond level members.

True, it's not talking about the Diamond lounge, but it is proof that crowding has caused rules changes in the past. The official RCI policy is that only Diamond members and above are allowed in the Diamond lounge. Not friends of Diamond member, not relatives of Diamond members, just Diamond members.

However, the actual answer to the OP's initial query has already been stated above....

When you board the ship talk to the Diamond Concierge and ask if you may bring the other person in your stateroom. The answer will depend on expected crowds and how much the concierge is a stickler for the rules, but they may very well allow it.

I'd love to be able to purchase some more perks.

I have been reading a lot on this and the arguments/debates are over it are really interesting. I wish I had the time and the money to cruise so much I could get some extra nice things, and since I cannot opting to pay a fee to get some nice extras would be the way to go (for myself). I don't see how that has to do with anyone else...no I wouldn't have worked my way up but if I paid a fee to have some extra attention or special events, I would consider that earned enough. I did "earn it"...I earned the money to be able to afford it.

Those who have earned Diamond Status or any type of special status aren't getting titles stripped away, others are just getting a chance to get some nice things and perks as well...but NOT for free, for a price. I'd be someone willing to pay, I wouldn't even mind if the status was named something different, as to not offend the true Diamond members. But Royal doesn't seem to offer this, so it won't be an issue. We will just be buying some packages to try and make our experience and trip customized and special!

EW EW this is not right! I have paid several thousand $$$$ and became D+ the hard way......Well we all have......

The thought Of the overcrowding it would cause in the DL and CL is disturbing.

You want Diamond perks? Purchase a suite!!!!!!!!!!Then you'll have the very best RCi has to offer and enjoy the perks you want.But you'll pay as we have!

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2009/Salutations/09014442-Adam_Announces_C&A_Changes/c&a_changes_update.html

Relevant passage:

We regret that the crowding in our Concierge Lounges prevents us from delivering the experience we intended. It also prevents us from being able to grandfather in Concierge Lounge access for existing Diamond level members.

I'm sorry, I didn't see where it said the over crowding was being caused by the guests and not just the increased numbers of diamonds. What did I miss?

I'm sorry, I didn't see where it said the over crowding was being caused by the guests and not just the increased numbers of diamonds. What did I miss?

Umm... does it really matter where the crowding was coming from? Crowding, in the past, has caused policy changes. :rolleyes:

But, again, this really does not answer the OP's original query. As such I'll not contribute any longer to the digression. :)

Umm... does it really matter where the crowding was coming from? Crowding, in the past, has caused policy changes. :rolleyes:

But, again, this really does not answer the OP's original query. As such I'll not contribute any longer to the digression. :)

Really? Your kidding me.

Was it necessary to make this announement?:rolleyes:

Yes overcrowing is and will become an issue for several reasons.. and I am afraid RCi will most likely address the issue to our detriment (D+ freebees)

I can never understand why people would think a perk should be extended to someone who has not earned it. :confused: There is a thing called guilt by association but not perks by association.:p:D

I just think that if a Diamond is traveling with just one other person that is not Diamond then it makes sense to let that person in. Otherwise neither person will be able to use it. It isn't like the Diamond person will say see ya later, I am going to the lounge. Then they are both alone.

EW EW this is not right! I have paid several thousand $$$$ and became D+ the hard way......Well we all have......

The thought Of the overcrowding it would cause in the DL and CL is disturbing.

You want Diamond perks? Purchase a suite!!!!!!!!!!Then you'll have the very best RCi has to offer and enjoy the perks you want.But you'll pay as we have!

Over crowding? PLEASE....:rolleyes: Lol

Archived