Diamond Level

EW EW this is not right! I have paid several thousand $$$$ and became D+ the hard way......Well we all have......

The thought Of the overcrowding it would cause in the DL and CL is disturbing.

You want Diamond perks? Purchase a suite!!!!!!!!!!Then you'll have the very best RCi has to offer and enjoy the perks you want.But you'll pay as we have!

I always find it interesting when people say they "became D+ the hard way."

Next month, I will become D+. Yes, I have spent money on cruises; I feel I gotten great value for that money. Yes, I have spent time on cruises; I have had fun and had terrific service during those days. I have also received D perks during most of those days (those started early due to my X status). So far, nothing seems really "hard". If to earn my status they made me work the galley, wash dishes, scrub bathrooms, or serve meals to demanding guests, I'd likely consider that hard. Fortunately, they hire hard working people to do that.

Instead, I offer my thanks to Royal Caribbean's crew, officers and corporate staff for making my ascent to D+ a pleasure. An expensive pleasure, perhaps, but still a pleasure.:D

Now if Royal Caribbean wanted to do something nice for D/D+ cruising with those without status, the could let concierges offer one drink coupon per evening (or a BOGO) to be used in a bar (with recipient's cards marked so nobody double dips by going to the lounge as well).

Check back with me in a couple years...Maybe then I will learn more and will also be citing my rise to D+ the hard way.;)

I always find it interesting when people say they "became D+ the hard way."

Next month, I will become D+. Yes, I have spent money on cruises; I feel I gotten great value for that money. Yes, I have spent time on cruises; I have had fun and had terrific service during those days. I have also received D perks during most of those days (those started early due to my X status). So far, nothing seems really "hard". If to earn my status they made me work the galley, wash dishes, scrub bathrooms, or serve meals to demanding guests, I'd likely consider that hard. Fortunately, they hire hard working people to do that.

Instead, I offer my thanks to Royal Caribbean's crew, officers and corporate staff for making my ascent to D+ a pleasure. An expensive pleasure, perhaps, but still a pleasure.:D

Now if Royal Caribbean wanted to do something nice for D/D+ cruising with those without status, the could let concierges offer one drink coupon per evening (or a BOGO) to be used in a bar (with recipient's cards marked so nobody double dips by going to the lounge as well).

Check back with me in a couple years...Maybe then I will learn more and will also be citing my rise to D+ the hard way.;)

Ha ha ha - Excellent post !!

It needed to be said ! :-)

The "rules" have changed somewhat over time...

We used to cruise with our daughters all the time as they were growing up...

And my wife and I were Diamond cruisers well before our younger daughter hit 21 or even 18...

The last time we brought either daughter on RCCL with us was a few years back when we took only our older daughter...and she was categorized as "Diamond" based on our status...the younger daughter's college had a different Winter Break schedule, so she wasnt able to join us...

The older daughter cruised on Freedom of the Seas a few years back, bringing her college room mate for her first cruise...They were BOTH given Diamond benefits based on our daughter's status...They loved the nightly free drinks...

Well fast forward to the present...

We booked a cruise for the four of us on Mariner of the Seas for next on the...two cabins...

My wife and I, of course, bith showed as "Diamond"...So did the older daughter...

But our younger daughter was showing up as "Platinum"...

I asked, "Does this mean that when we all go to the Diamond Lounge for drinks each evening before dinner that our younger daughter can't go with the rest of the family?"

The answer came back "She can't go...she'll have to find something else to do"...

I said, "but, wait a second...we're Diamond members...almost Diamond Plus...We are separately Elite on Celebrity with even more points there...We've spent a lot of money with Royal Caribbean in the past and are on this cruise as well..."

The answer "Sorry"...

I hung up...

Then I called back about a week later and spoke with someone different...

I said, "Our family of four is booked on Mariner of the Seas...and three of us are listed as Diamond...but our youngest daughter is only showing up as Platinum...she's sharing a cabin with her sister, can she go to the Diamond Lounge with us?"

The person I spoke to this time said "No problem, I'll just change her to Diamond"...

Now, in all seriousness, she deserved to be Diamond almost as much as her sister...

RCCL accounting is not all that good...and they're missing some of her cruises...They're actually missing a couple of ours, but I never wanted to bother trying to jump through hoops to prove to them the cruises we took on the old Viking Serenade which don't show up on the website...

So, I have no moral problem with them "promoting" my younger daughter to Diamond...

It would have been very strange to go for pre-dinner drinks and leave one daughter in the cabin...and I would have been a little ticked off if we ended up with NONE of us going...

I just think that if a Diamond is traveling with just one other person that is not Diamond then it makes sense to let that person in. Otherwise neither person will be able to use it. It isn't like the Diamond person will say see ya later, I am going to the lounge. Then they are both alone.

What if a Diamond is traveling with two who are not, or three, or four, or......? Do you limit them to just one extra? Funny how something can make sense when it's something we would like to do.;) I was with a person who was entitled to something I was not. No way I expected to go with her....she went her way, I went mine. Rank has its privliges.:)

Over crowding? PLEASE....:rolleyes: Lol

Yes, distinct possibility.

Bruin Steve, your circumstance is completely different, since your daughter was missing cruise points, than those who just want to take someone who is not diamond.

And my wife and I were Diamond cruisers well before our younger daughter hit 21 or even 18...

The last time we brought either daughter on RCCL with us was a few years back when we took only our older daughter...and she was categorized as "Diamond" based on our status...the younger daughter's college had a different Winter Break schedule, so she wasnt able to join us...

The older daughter cruised on Freedom of the Seas a few years back, bringing her college room mate for her first cruise...They were BOTH given Diamond benefits based on our daughter's status...They loved the nightly free drinks...

We booked a cruise for the four of us on Mariner of the Seas for next on the...two cabins...

My wife and I, of course, bith showed as "Diamond"...So did the older daughter...

I asked, "Does this mean that when we all go to the Diamond Lounge for drinks each evening before dinner that our younger daughter can't go with the rest of the family?"

The answer came back "She can't go...she'll have to find something else to do"...

I said, "but, wait a second...we're Diamond members...almost Diamond Plus...We are separately Elite on Celebrity with even more points there...We've spent a lot of money with Royal Caribbean in the past and are on this cruise as well..."

The answer "Sorry"...

I hung up...

I said, "Our family of four is booked on Mariner of the Seas...and three of us are listed as Diamond...but our youngest daughter is only showing up as Platinum...she's sharing a cabin with her sister, can she go to the Diamond Lounge with us?"

The person I spoke to this time said "No problem, I'll just change her to Diamond"...

Now, in all seriousness, she deserved to be Diamond almost as much as her sister...

RCCL accounting is not all that good...and they're missing some of her cruises...They're actually missing a couple of ours, but I never wanted to bother trying to jump through hoops to prove to them the cruises we took on the old Viking Serenade which don't show up on the website...

So, I have no moral problem with them "promoting" my younger daughter to Diamond...

It would have been very strange to go for pre-dinner drinks and leave one daughter in the cabin...and I would have been a little ticked off if we ended up with NONE of us going...

I agree with you wholeheartedly but be prepared to chastised by many of the people who have already posted in this thread !

(Seems like they have nothing better to do - I think we need a thread about why we should try to use constructive criticism not just be negative and moan)

I am a Diamond and my freind who is sailing with me in the cabin is Emerald. If she can't use the lounge than I will not use it either. I wouldn't feel right going in there by myself. Same goes with any events. My husband is Diamond as well but he sailed with me only half of the time, but as my spouse he was granted Diamond status too, even though my friend who has earned more points than him does not get the same. Bottom line is I won't enjoy any of the perks, maybe freeing up my spots in the lounge can be enjoyed by others. I have never had and issue like this with Celebrity, so when I sail again with my friend it will be with Celebrity.

The answer "Sorry"...

I hung up...

I am not sure the rules changed. It sounds more like a clerical error. Assuming she lived with you, the younger daughter (like her sister) should have been D at 18 based on her parent's status. It only took two phone calls to recognize and correct that clerical error...ummm, could have been worse. I do not think any rules were broken when she was belated promoted.

I am glad your family will be together, but the passing of status might get complicated. Is it right that Royal Caribbean grant status based on somebody else's cruises and honors it when the grantee cruises without their "status sponsor"? For example, a wife picks up first husband's D+ status on first cruise, stays D+ after their divorce, sequentally passes the D+ status to husbands 2&3 on their first cruises, and those men pass D+ status to kids and future partners...that could be a lot of D+'s originally based on one cruiser's record.

When your older daughter cruised with her roommate, they presumably had the same address, so the roommate may have gotten your daughter's D status as her "partner". If so, that roommate may keep D status on his or her next cruise. Roommate's future spouses and children may become D on first cruises, all based indirectly on your record. That would seem overboard to me.

Umm... does it really matter where the crowding was coming from? Crowding, in the past, has caused policy changes. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I thought that since we were talking about guests, that comments germane to the discussion would in fact have something to do with guests. Now, if we were having a totally different discussion, say about over crowding in general, then your comments would have been spot on.

What if a Diamond is traveling with two who are not, or three, or four, or......? Do you limit them to just one extra? Funny how something can make sense when it's something we would like to do.;) I was with a person who was entitled to something I was not. No way I expected to go with her....she went her way, I went mine. Rank has its privliges.:)

Yes, distinct possibility.

Bruin Steve, your circumstance is completely different, since your daughter was missing cruise points, than those who just want to take someone who is not diamond.

First of all, I said one. Secondly, it isn't something that I have ever wanted to do and I doubt I ever will. I am a Diamond and always cruise with my DH who is also Diamond. No need for me to want to do it.

Blimey Blimey Blimey !!!

How my post has gone off on numerous tangents - ha ha ha

People always seem to get tied up and hot under the collar forget the point of the post :-(

That's the beauty of cruise critic, your initial question will be answered in the first few replies, but in most cases you have to wear a flame proof suit because it will get hot very quickly with the feelings expressed by many and their opinions :D oops better get my flame retardant coat on!

Blimey Blimey Blimey !!!

How my post has gone off on numerous tangents - ha ha ha

People always seem to get tied up and hot under the collar forget the point of the post :-(

LOL :D What was YOUR post again? <jk> :D:):D

...and the Elites are none to happy about that and the RCI Diamond interlopers getting Elite status.

End of Elite cocktail party?

Well, that cuts both ways, since Celebrity Elites get Diamond status, thereby contributing to the overcrowding in the Diamond Lounges and Events.

Those who have earned Diamond Status or any type of special status aren't getting titles stripped away, others are just getting a chance to get some nice things and perks as well...but NOT for free, for a price. I'd be someone willing to pay, I wouldn't even mind if the status was named something different, as to not offend the true Diamond members. But Royal doesn't seem to offer this, so it won't be an issue. We will just be buying some packages to try and make our experience and trip customized and special!

I used to think, the more the merrier, but one consequence of the explosion of Diamond members was that they were banned from the CL. Many CCers, myself included, think that the day is not far off when D+ will also be booted, perhaps once most of the ships in the fleet have Diamond Lounges.

But I still think that one should be able to share perks with one's cabin mate. Not an extended group, but one other person, anyway.

the main reason these stict rules of others with you sharing is only due to too many abusing it and the numbers ending up in the lounges

it affects not just use of the diamond and concierge lounge but also the rest of the passengers on the ship

we just need to understand that alot of these rules come into effect strictly due to the few trying to push boundaries and crossing the line in the process and complaining

so they ruin it for the rest

Well, that cuts both ways, since Celebrity Elites get Diamond status, thereby contributing to the overcrowding in the Diamond Lounges and Events.

I used to think, the more the merrier, but one consequence of the explosion of Diamond members was that they were banned from the CL. Many CCers, myself included, think that the day is not far off when D+ will also be booted, perhaps once most of the ships in the fleet have Diamond Lounges.

But I still think that one should be able to share perks with one's cabin mate. Not an extended group, but one other person, anyway.

It is the old slippery slope, isn't it? If one shares a cabin with a sibling, one'd want one guest. If one shares a cabin with two BFF's, wouldn't one want them both to come. Do you leave out the BFF's if you pay more to each have solo cabins? If D and D spouse are part of a group of six in two cabins, wouldn't one share your balcony discount and benefits by putting one D (on paper) in each cabin, hoping to get four "cabinmates" into the lounge?

Royal Caribbean's current rule is a lot "cleaner". Not the nicest, but clean. Again, I think it would be nice if they allowed a concierge to offer to sub a few drink coupons for lounge privileges when one has guests. Cost would be low and it would potentially encourage the C&A member and guest to go to the bars to spend time and money.

I'm going to be Diamond at the end of 2012.

If I cruise with a friend who is only gold next year will I be able to take them into the Diamond drinks hour or other Diamond things?

Thanks

First you say "a friend" then you say "them". How many friends are you talking about?

And while I understand how you do not want to leave your friend(s) behind so you can enjoy the benefits of being a Diamond Member I don't think it would be fair to us members who worked hard at coming to that level.

And yes some of us did work hard. We did without a lot (gave up movies, Starbucks, going out to eat several days a week, etc.) just so we could afford to cruise in a Jr. Suite so we would get our double points. Which as we know, gets us that much closer to Diamond Level.

BTW - my upcoming cruise in December will be the first time I cruise as a Diamond member. And I can't wait.

First you say "a friend" then you say "them". How many friends are you talking about?

And while I understand how you do not want to leave your friend(s) behind so you can enjoy the benefits of being a Diamond Member I don't think it would be fair to us members who worked hard at coming to that level.

And yes some of us did work hard. We did without a lot (gave up movies, Starbucks, going out to eat several days a week, etc.) just so we could afford to cruise in a Jr. Suite so we would get our double points. Which as we know, gets us that much closer to Diamond Level.

BTW - my upcoming cruise in December will be the first time I cruise as a Diamond member. And I can't wait.

While I was on the Monarch last month I talked to some ladies at the Diamond event and one of them was not a diamond member. I noticed that she paid for her drinks, while her friends were free.

While I was on the Monarch last month I talked to some ladies at the Diamond event and one of them was not a diamond member. I noticed that she paid for her drinks, while her friends were free.

I've seen that on Monarch too. It might be because it's a Diamond Event, and not a CL/DL that they are more likely to allow non-Diamonds to sit in the same area and pay for their drinks. In the Diamond Event, the bar servers are already set up to charge Diamond and above for drinks with the 25% discount, so it's probably little change for them to charge no discount to non-Diamonds.

Just get rid of the diamond lounge. No more problems or headaches:D

Sorry to all who have not reached Diamond and above but my status has cost my wife and I a lot of money so we have earned the perks we get.If Diamond Members start bringing in a friend then the rest of us end up without seating.

The only problem I see is the late seating coming to the lounge at 5 pm thats an abuse of privilege.

to all those that are working to the next level keep cruising and enjoy your holidays,the small perks we earn are not worth a fight.:)

Gerry

Sorry to all who have not reached Diamond and above but my status has cost my wife and I a lot of money so we have earned the perks we get.If Diamond Members start bringing in a friend then the rest of us end up without seating.

The only problem I see is the late seating coming to the lounge at 5 pm thats an abuse of privilege.to all those that are working to the next level keep cruising and enjoy your holidays,the small perks we earn are not worth a fight.:)

Gerry

You have your own "lounge rules" for other passengers that are qualified to be there? That's funny! :D:):D

The only problem I see is the late seating coming to the lounge at 5 pm thats an abuse of privilege.

to all those that are working to the next level keep cruising and enjoy your holidays,the small perks we earn are not worth a fight.:)

Gerry

If I go the DL at 5:00 and don't leave until my 8:30 Dinner time, why is that "abuse of privilege?

If I go the DL at 5:00 and don't leave until my 8:30 Dinner time, why is that "abuse of privilege?

It is when the early seating have to stand and it was meant to be there to enjoy a FEW drinks before dinner not 3 hours of free drinks.Maybe the different seatings should have different colour cards.

But I guess if the Diamond Lounge was bigger there would be less complaining.I guess for those who can get the free booze they will never agree with my point of view,but then agian I am a social drinker and there other perks beside the lounge.

Just my point of few make room for others thats all.

Archived