We Sail the South Pacific on HAL’s Newest Ship – the Queen Mary

SailorJack

In the age of sail tradition had it that those who had never before crossed the equator - known as pollywogs - had to be initiated by being tossed into the sea. Unfortunately, OSHA, the Coast Guard, and Insurance Companies have prohibited the tossing of cruise ship passengers over the side these days so the ship has a ceremony and tosses them into the pool instead.

In this picture, King Neptunes Court is being called to the pool in order to oversee the ceremony.

Donsvariouspics1367.jpg

Members of the King's Court make their entrance.

Donsvariouspics1369.jpg

The pollywogs and brought in -unfortunately chains have also been baned, so rope is now used!

Donsvariouspics1372.jpg

King Neptune's (our CD) court is ready.

Donsvariouspics1371.jpg

The first two pollywogs plead their case.

Donsvariouspics1373.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

I've kept your sailing in my mind. Now finally I had a chance to see if you posted/reviewed and hurrah!, you have!

I've canceled my plans today to read your review! (lol, really just delayed them =\)

Welcome back!

Edited by d4nigirl

I've kept your sailing in my mind. Now finally I had a chance to see if you posted/reviewed and hurrah!, you have!

I've canceled my plans today to read your review! (lol, really just delayed them =\)

Welcome back!

Hope you enjoyed it. It was good to be back... between our stays in Seattle and Sydney we were gone 30 days - our longest trip ever. Now I am busy shopping for jackets, mukluks, and thermal underwear for our Antarctic cruise in February.:D

In the age of sail tradition had it that those who had never before crossed the equator - known as pollywogs - had to be initiated by being tossed into the sea. Unfortunately, OSHA, the Coast Guard, and Insurance Companies have prohibited the tossing of cruise ship passengers over the side these days so the ship has a ceremony and tosses them into the pool instead.

GAAWD......they take the FUN out of everything.:D

Hope you enjoyed it. It was good to be back... between our stays in Seattle and Sydney we were gone 30 days - our longest trip ever. Now I am busy shopping for jackets, mukluks, and thermal underwear for our Antarctic cruise in February.:D

Oof! Don't forget the portable hand warmers!

...Then again, they might get too warm and you don't want to be the person who single-handedly changed the future of the world but slightly melting the area and contributing an additional inch of water to the planet. You might cover Long Island with that move. Then I won't be able to read your posts.

...no pressure though. ;)

Once the pollywogs are brought on deck they are put in "jail" until their sentence is pronounced. As you can see, even the ship's officers are subject to the judgement of King Neptune.

DSCN0804.jpg

Once found guilty of various crimes the assembled crowd starts to yell "Kiss the Fish!" - so they must do so.

Donsvariouspics1387.jpg

After kissing the fish the miscreants are covered with slime.

Donsvariouspics1388.jpg

And then led before the ship's officers for final punishment.

DSCN0807.jpg

Which consists of being thrown into the pool.

Donsvariouspics1378.jpg

Oof! Don't forget the portable hand warmers!

...Then again, they might get too warm and you don't want to be the person who single-handedly changed the future of the world but slightly melting the area and contributing an additional inch of water to the planet. You might cover Long Island with that move. Then I won't be able to read your posts.

...no pressure though. ;)

OK, you have me here. What are portable hand warmers and where do I get them!

GAAWD......they take the FUN out of everything.:D

Ain't that the GAAWD aweful truth!:D

Edited by SailorJack

And then led before the ship's officers for final punishment.

Which consists of being thrown into the pool.

The lucky ones get thrown in the pool. I've been there when some did, and others had to stay coated in that slime. I think that's worse! The slime drys on them, in that hot sun and must be a b**** to wash off later.

I remember the first time I went to that ceremony, and wished I could have participated. Too bad the passengers are allowed to take part. :(

I did manage to kiss the fish, though! :D

Thanks for the pics. Brought back some great memories.

The lucky ones get thrown in the pool. I've been there when some did, and others had to stay coated in that slime. I think that's worse! The slime drys on them, in that hot sun and must be a b**** to wash off later.

I remember the first time I went to that ceremony, and wished I could have participated. Too bad the passengers are allowed to take part. :(

I did manage to kiss the fish, though! :D

Thanks for the pics. Brought back some great memories.

This was our second crossing and on our first one it was mostly passengers that were "initiated." Each cruise line has its own ceremony, but I also would hate to see one where you had to wear the goop till it dried.:eek:

Who knew! I will pick up a couple of those for sure!:)

Jack

Hilo, Hawaii is noted for its black sand beaches - which come from the lava spewed forth from the volcanos. Here are few shots from the beach near Hilo.

Donsvariouspics1224.jpg

Donsvariouspics1226.jpg

Donsvariouspics1234.jpg

The beach has a number of inlets where you can watch green sea turtles feeding.

Donsvariouspics1237.jpg

Donsvariouspics1238.jpg

When we were in Hilo we rented a car and in the afternoon we came to this beach. We carry our own snorkel gear so we went in to swim around. While we were there the giant turtles came swimming up to us and stayed right with us. It was like a game to them to swim beside us, and it was quite an experience. Best of all, it was free!

Oh, very cool photos, SailorJack, especially the turtles. If I promise not to tell a soul besides the ten thousand people reading here, can you tell me which place you went snorkeling in Hilo and found the turtles? I am sure we will be back there and would love to go in the water where you had that experience.

FishJuju

Oh, very cool photos, SailorJack, especially the turtles. If I promise not to tell a soul besides the ten thousand people reading here, can you tell me which place you went snorkeling in Hilo and found the turtles? I am sure we will be back there and would love to go in the water where you had that experience.

FishJuju

Unfortuately I do not remember the name of the beach. However, it was not far from the downtown area. If CAC104 is still following this thread, perhaps she can remember the name.

I don't know if it is the romance of the South Pacific, or if it is just actually more beautiful in that part of the world - but here are a couple of pictures of the sunset the night before we arrived in Samoa.

Donsvariouspics1425.jpg

Donsvariouspics1413.jpg

The harbor for the small town of Apia, Samoa.

Donsvariouspics1435.jpg

The ship was greeted by Samoan dancers and singers.

DSCN0827.jpg

We were amazed at the number of churches in Samoa. It seems there was one every couple of miles. Most were very simple and served the small village in which they were located. There were also several theological colleges on the island as well. Below is just one of the many churches we passed on our tour of the island.

Donsvariouspics1441.jpg

Donsvariouspics1443.jpg

The island was simply beautiful... one of the most amazing islands we have visited. Below are a couple of shots of the coast line.

Donsvariouspics1444.jpg

Donsvariouspics1454.jpg

Donsvariouspics1451.jpg

LOVE......LOVE........LOVE your reviews. The photos are gorgeous. This trip is on our bucket list.

Did you by any chance write an article for AAA magazine several years ago? If not, someone stole your name, and I would certainly look into identity theft if I were you.

Keep up the good work.......entertaining as HECK...

LOVE......LOVE........LOVE your reviews. The photos are gorgeous. This trip is on our bucket list.

Did you by any chance write an article for AAA magazine several years ago? If not, someone stole your name, and I would certainly look into identity theft if I were you.

Keep up the good work.......entertaining as HECK...

Glad you enjoyed the review. And to answer your question, - no, I did not pen an article for the AAA magazine... but if it was a good one I will gladly take credit!:D

Here is some of the scenery that we saw on the way up the hill to the water slide.

Donsvariouspics1486.jpg

These kids did some very impressive jumps and then asked for $1. The show was worth the money!

Donsvariouspics1462.jpg

The entrance to the water slide.

Donsvariouspics1487.jpg

A final scenery shot. This island was certainly one of the most beautiful we have visited.

Donsvariouspics1457.jpg