We Sail the South Pacific on HAL’s Newest Ship – the Queen Mary

SailorJack

Glad you enjoyed it. Clearly you are a person with great perspective and motivational ability to be able to get action and not merely a roll of the eyes when asking "children" to get up and do something!:D

Alas, that ability was my father's, not mine...

Our last visit in Seattle before boarding the Oosterdam was the Space Needle - two views seen here. The lines for entry to the Space Needle were very long, but there is a ticket machine that allows you to get your tickets and avoid the lines. The views from the top were spectacular.

DSCN0691.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

This picture was taken from the top of the Needle and shows a HAL ship at Pier 91. I don't know what ship it was, but it departed Seattle on September 25 for (I think) an Alaskan cruise.

Donsvariouspics1132.jpg

Seattle as seen from the deck of the Oosterdam.

Donsvariouspics1151.jpg

That is Mt. Rainier looming over Seattle. Even though it is over 50 miles away it dominates Seatles background.

Donsvariouspics1147.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Sailor Jack: If you are not already a published author, you should immediately spend some time compiling a book of your cruise reviews, include pages previously left on the cutting room floor, and find a publisher. I don't know anyone who cruises who would not pay $19.95 for a copy of your cruise reviews. I see the book as a great gift for seasoned travelers and a wonderful introduction to crusing for those unfortunate folks who have yet to enjoy the pleasures of cruising. Plus the need for additional research material for sequeals gives you reason (as if you need one) to take more cruises.

Sailor Jack: If you are not already a published author, you should immediately spend some time compiling a book of your cruise reviews, include pages previously left on the cutting room floor, and find a publisher. I don't know anyone who cruises who would not pay $19.95 for a copy of your cruise reviews. I see the book as a great gift for seasoned travelers and a wonderful introduction to crusing for those unfortunate folks who have yet to enjoy the pleasures of cruising. Plus the need for additional research material for sequeals gives you reason (as if you need one) to take more cruises.

I agree 100% - I would gladly pay to read your cruise reviews in detail .... go for it Sailor Jack

I also heartily endorse this idea!

This picture was taken from the top of the Needle and shows a HAL ship at Pier 91. I don't know what ship it was, but it departed Seattle on September 25 for (I think) an Alaskan cruise.

I believe that must be Westerdam, who sailed Sept. 29. I believe you got on the wrong ship, because Westerdam DID go to Tahiti... EM

I agree 100% - I would gladly pay to read your cruise reviews in detail .... go for it Sailor Jack

I also heartily endorse this idea!

Yes, please, a book - please, please. And of course, your trips could then be tax deducations as legitimate business expenses. How good is that?? :cool:

Believe me, if I had the talent to write a book I would - I have given the tax write off idea a great deal of thought!:D However, I certainly appreciate your thoughts., but no book in the works.:)

Some final photos of Seattle. These are photos taken by SailorJill and the first one is a view of Seattle taken from atop the Needle.

DSCN0683.jpg

The area around the Needle had a lot of other attractions.

Donsvariouspics1142.jpg

These next two photos show the glass sculpures in the museum next to the Needle.

Donsvariouspics1140.jpg

Donsvariouspics1139.jpg

A final shot of the Needle.

DSCN0681.jpg

This was hilarious! I wish I knew your real name - I suspect you are a published author, playwright or screenwriter. Your article wad funny and extremely witty. Can't wait for you and Sailor Jill to go on another cruise so we can read about it. PS - if you aren't already published, you should be.

This was hilarious! I wish I knew your real name - I suspect you are a published author, playwright or screenwriter. Your article wad funny and extremely witty. Can't wait for you and Sailor Jill to go on another cruise so we can read about it. PS - if you aren't already published, you should be.

Glad you enjoyed it. Next cruise is in February - a 14 day cruise to Antarctica. Assuming enought interesting things occur to warrant a review the next review should be in late February.

Sunrise as we enter Vancouver's Harbor

Donsvariouspics1158.jpg

We sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Donsvariouspics1205.jpg

The Vancouver skyline. That is Canada Place (dock) to the far left.

Donsvariouspics1209.jpg

Canada Place. This is where we docked and it is right down town. Walk a few blocks and you are in the heart of the city. As many years as I lived here this is the first time I have seen Canada Place - pretty cool!

Donsvariouspics1202.jpg

Enjoyed your review. Started to read your past reviews and just love every word of them. You are a wonderful writer and I so much enjoy your perspective on cruising. Sounds like you and SailerJill have a lot of fun.

Glad you liked them..and you are right...we enjoy cruising.:)

Great pictures of Vancouver and Canada Place - love to visit Vancouver. Our cruises have been the opposite direction - out of there - different perspective ... thanks for the posting.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. I envy you as you get to fly into Vancouver which is even prettier from the air!

Jack

I lived in North Vancouver and in all those years never visited the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Here are a few photos of the bridge.

Donsvariouspics11612.jpg

Donsvariouspics1162.jpg

Donsvariouspics1165.jpg

This last photo of the bridge puts some perspective on it...that is SailorJill standing in the middle.

Donsvariouspics1167.jpg

You are right Sailor Jack Vancouver is a beautiful site from the air. We did the bridge and l really did not think I would make it across on first seeing it - however we took the plunge and decided if we had come all this way we had to do it. Amazing scenery and once we got started it was wonderful. The entire trek was wow wow wow .... envy you living so close to such a beautiful part of our country. Thanks for the pictures and reliving the experience.

SailorJack - I can understand why you haven't visited the bridge - I honestly don't know if I could cross it:eek: Great pics though;)

I din't think I could cross it either but with DH telling me there wasn't any thing to be afraid of and to get it together, away I went. Well, at a snails pace and holding on with both hands. There were a lot of people on the bridge that day so both hands were on the same side. Now when you meet someone coming back across and is as scared as you, well just picture it. Both on the same side scared to death to let go of the ropes, so we got very up close and personal with one arm each around the other and passing by that way. Guess what, you get to the other side and you do have to come back across. Coming back wasn't quite as bad as going over.

I was glad I did go across and I'm sure if you get the chance you would be proud of yourself and enjoy the experience as well. Across on the other side was a very nice interpretive walk.

Sailor Jack: thanks for writing your great review and the photos of Seattle and Vancouver have brought back many memories for me.

Helen :):):)

I din't think I could cross it either but with DH telling me there wasn't any thing to be afraid of and to get it together, away I went. Well, at a snails pace and holding on with both hands. There were a lot of people on the bridge that day so both hands were on the same side. Now when you meet someone coming back across and is as scared as you, well just picture it. Both on the same side scared to death to let go of the ropes, so we got very up close and personal with one arm each around the other and passing by that way. Guess what, you get to the other side and you do have to come back across. Coming back wasn't quite as bad as going over.

I was glad I did go across and I'm sure if you get the chance you would be proud of yourself and enjoy the experience as well. Across on the other side was a very nice interpretive walk.

Sailor Jack: thanks for writing your great review and the photos of Seattle and Vancouver have brought back many memories for me.

Helen :):):)

I agree with you...coming back is much easier! But it is quite an experience. We also injoyed the walk...the grounds were more than we had expected.

Thank you so much for such a hilarious review. It was just what I needed after an "expletive deleted" day at work. As Eastwood would say you "made my day".

I have had a few of those days myself...hope this week goes better for you.

The dam word in the dam ships actually means: Dyke, levvy. It's got nothing to do with bunny. That notwithstanding it is a funny review.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought "bunny" was a funny name to give a Ship!

Jack

The TreeTop Adventure was a stroll around the far side of the river and as much as 100 feet above the ground. Some of the trees are estimated to be more than 1500 years old Also..no trees were injured as a result of the walkway!

Donsvariouspics1175.jpg

Donsvariouspics1179.jpg

Donsvariouspics1181.jpg

This is the Cliff Walk...the walkway is attached to the sheer granite cliff by means of a cable. You are suspended out over the canyon on a very narrow walkway. That is the suspension bridge in the background.

Donsvariouspics1197.jpg