Hubbard Glacier Question

dorakk

Hi,

I'm sure these questions have been asked before, just that I have no luck find previous posts using the "search" function.

Anyway, we are booked to sail on X Millenium on May 17th, 2013 (RT Vancouver). Our port of call include Hubbard Glacier. Questions

1) On the itinerary, it said Hubbard Glacier (Crusing) Arrive 12pm, Depart 4pm. Cruising means a sea day, right? If so, why is there an arrival / departure time? Do they expect passengers to get off the ship to explore the port?

2) I read posts saying that May could be too cold for Hubbard Glacier. There is a chance that the ship can't sail thru (too much ice) and they need to skip Hubbard Glacier. Is it true? This will be very disappointing for us:(. If they do skip it, what is the alternative? Will it become a normal sea day? Or they will detour to other ports?

3) Not related to Hubbard Glacier, just a general question. As we are doing RT Vancouver, just want to know which day offer the best views? Day 2 (northbound) or Day 6 (southbound).

This is our first Alaskan cruise, so there are lots of question marks in our mind. Thanks in advanced for your assistance!;)

dorakk

I can answer the first question... yes it is a sea day.... but you arrive at the appointed time and the captain will make sure everyone has equal viewing time by turning the ship a few times...Sailing toward and away from are times to be at the bow and the stern. We were there in August on a picture perfect day with sun and I will tell you it is so hard to describe... but the naturalist on board will provide all kinds of information over the PA. Enjoy...

Hi,

I'm sure these questions have been asked before, just that I have no luck find previous posts using the "search" function.

Anyway, we are booked to sail on X Millenium on May 17th, 2013 (RT Vancouver). Our port of call include Hubbard Glacier. Questions

1) On the itinerary, it said Hubbard Glacier (Crusing) Arrive 12pm, Depart 4pm. Cruising means a sea day, right? If so, why is there an arrival / departure time? Do they expect passengers to get off the ship to explore the port? That is the time that you'll be cruising Hubbard Glacier

2) I read posts saying that May could be too cold for Hubbard Glacier. There is a chance that the ship can't sail thru (too much ice) and they need to skip Hubbard Glacier. Is it true? This will be very disappointing for us:(. If they do skip it, what is the alternative? Will it become a normal sea day? Or they will detour to other ports? There is no port at Hubbard Glacier for ships to visit.

3) Not related to Hubbard Glacier, just a general question. As we are doing RT Vancouver, just want to know which day offer the best views? Day 2 (northbound) or Day 6 (southbound).

This is our first Alaskan cruise, so there are lots of question marks in our mind. Thanks in advanced for your assistance!;)

dorakk

The captain will approach within 1000 ft of the glacier . He will usually slowly spint he ship 360 Degrees so that people on both sides of the ship get a good view. Also a Park ranger will be giving a narration and another will be wandering the deck to answer questions.

We have been to Hubbard Glacier 3 times in May. Got in very close twice and one time we moved slowly through the ice, but never got close at all. It was a disappointment. I still prefer to cruise in May to Alaska though. I like the snow covered mountains and cool weather. It is also supposed to be less rainy. We will be departing Vancouver on May 17th as well, but on Radiance of the Seas. I will be crossing my fingers for both of us.

Our visit to the Hubbard Glacier in July this year had to be aborted due to low cloud/fog (almost zero visibility) and a lot of ice in the bay. Very disappointing but that's Alaskan weather for you! I hope you have better luck.

There is no way to predict how "close" you will get to Hubbard, but in May you do have a higher chance of being farther away compared to later entries.

The "times' however mean little in my opinion. It can be of benefit to get out with a forward viewing early and enjoy the glacier views even from further away. Binoculars are an asset. :)

As for the "ship turning" comments- I never compromise my potential viewing and always move with the ship. IF you want the most chances of a calving highlight then do the same.

As for your first and last "sea days", these both are highlights for me, and neither better than the other. There is NO way to predict what you will see. If of interest, make the effort to get at a forward viewing area and enjoy it all.

The captain will approach within 1000 ft of the glacier . He will usually slowly spint he ship 360 Degrees so that people on both sides of the ship get a good view. Also a Park ranger will be giving a narration and another will be wandering the deck to answer questions.

Sorry, no. There is no "1000 foot" given with this glacier and no "park rangers" board- that is Glacier Bay. The commentary is usually done by the ship naturalist or lecturer.

May is a tricky month and no one can predict what the weather will be.

I have cruised mid/end May at least 10 times. This year was an exception with weather. (I sailed Aug/Sept this year) Overall, it is consistant for this May timeframe to be very favorable.

May is chancier however with access to Hubbard and Tracy Arm.

1. Your day at the Hubbard Glacier does constitute a sea day and the times are approximately the time you will see the glaciers, I say glaciers as there are about 4 glaciers that merge at the Hubbard Glacier. It is unlikely that you will spend all 4 hours close to the glacier.

2. There is no real way of predicting how close to the glacier you will get but often in May you can be a little further off then at other times of the season.

3. On day 2 and day 6 you are going to see pretty much the same scenery however you do have a chance of going through the Seymour Narrows during the day on you 6th day and that is something you don't want to miss.

1. Your day at the Hubbard Glacier does constitute a sea day and the times are approximately the time you will see the glaciers, I say glaciers as there are about 4 glaciers that merge at the Hubbard Glacier. It is unlikely that you will spend all 4 hours close to the glacier.

2. There is no real way of predicting how close to the glacier you will get but often in May you can be a little further off then at other times of the season.

3. On day 2 and day 6 you are going to see pretty much the same scenery however you do have a chance of going through the Seymour Narrows during the day on you 6th day and that is something you don't want to miss.

You'll be cruising the Canadian portion of the Inside Passage. You'll be going thru a ship channel that is less than 1 mile wide in places. You'll observe floating logging camps that onlt accessible by boat or float plane. The opening to the channel is called "Robson Blight " this is where many Orca's (Killer Whale , not a true whale)congregaye in the summer time to feed on salmon. The actual passage thru Seymour Narrows is at about 9PM .

Actually Seymour Narrows is about 1/2 mile wide at its narrowest and about 2 miles long between Discovery Passage and Johnstone Strait. Currents in the narrows can run to 16 knots and for that reason ships only transit the narrows on slack tide or with the current on their bow. To do otherwise could result in loss of steerage and a calamity. Looking at the tide predictions for late May 2013 it is likely that the OP will transit the narrows in the afternoon.

http://www.heritagebcstops.com/vancouver-island-tour/seymour-narrows

Sorry, no. There is no "1000 foot" given with this glacier and no "park rangers" board- that is Glacier Bay. The commentary is usually done by the ship naturalist or lecturer.

We did have Park Rangers on our 2011 HAL Amsterdam cruise when we made the Hubbard Glacier transit. I even spoke with one out on the bow.

Here is what our Daily Explorer stated: "Monday, August 15, 2011 - 2:30PM - Park Ranger Presentation in the Queens Lounge 4&5".

We did have Park Rangers on our 2011 HAL Amsterdam cruise when we made the Hubbard Glacier transit. I even spoke with one out on the bow.

Here is what our Daily Explorer stated: "Monday, August 15, 2011 - 2:30PM - Park Ranger Presentation in the Queens Lounge 4&5".

I believe you! There is a ranger station in Yakutat for Wrangell/St. Elias NP and my guess is that the ranger came from that office to board the ship.

We have been to Hubbard Glacier 3 times in May. Got in very close twice and one time we moved slowly through the ice, but never got close at all. It was a disappointment. I still prefer to cruise in May to Alaska though. I like the snow covered mountains and cool weather. It is also supposed to be less rainy. We will be departing Vancouver on May 17th as well, but on Radiance of the Seas. I will be crossing my fingers for both of us.

Oh darn it Lynn, I'm going on the 24th on the Rhapsody.

Sorry to miss you.

Hi,

1) On the itinerary, it said Hubbard Glacier (Crusing) Arrive 12pm, Depart 4pm. Cruising means a sea day, right? If so, why is there an arrival / departure time? Do they expect passengers to get off the ship to explore the port?

2) I read posts saying that May could be too cold for Hubbard Glacier. There is a chance that the ship can't sail thru (too much ice) and they need to skip Hubbard Glacier. Is it true? This will be very disappointing for us:(. If they do skip it, what is the alternative? Will it become a normal sea day? Or they will detour to other ports?

dorakk

You already received a lot of great advice, so I won't repeat... just wanted to say that seeing the Hubbard Glacier was truly one of the most memorable moments of my life. It is something else!! You will love it.

Archived