*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

• 1 month later...

The new terminal opened yesterday. I've been told they have shuttled from the port parking lots to the terminal, actually read that in a news article. EZ Parking took us to the terminal in March. Many independent lots have two prices, one if you drag your own bag, and one if you are shuttled to the terminal.

Here's the article:

Big news at Galveston today.

Galveston Cruise Terminal #2 Opening

By CHACOUR KOOP The Daily News | Posted 11 hours ago

The wait is over.

For the first time, passengers Sunday will board their ship through the $13.2 million expansion of Cruise Terminal No. 2, a facility built to accommodate the largest cruise ship to call at the Port of Galveston but marred by months of delays. Royal Caribbean Cruises’ Liberty of the Seas, a 1,111-foot-long ship with capacity for 4,200 people, will be the first vessel to welcome passengers through the two-story, 60,000-square-foot expansion.

While the project won’t be complete until late July, the port is using the new part of Terminal No. 2 so it can remodel the original part of the terminal, Port Director Michael Mierzwa said.

The expansion includes a check-in area, a large waiting room and a ramp for disembarking passengers, which will be more efficient than the previous exit route — an escalator prone to breaking down, officials said. The existing part of the cruise terminal will have a significantly expanded space for passengers to line up for screening and a separate baggage area for travelers to pick suitcases up after their trip.

The port is also rolling out valet service for the first time this weekend. Valet drivers will be available for passengers boarding at both cruise terminals on today and Sunday. In hopes of generating cash from 159 parking spaces at the Galveston Transit Terminal, the port entered a three-month trial period with Sovereign Services, a Houston parking company. Parking will cost $20 per day.

If the idea works, the port will put out a bid for valet parking services, Mierzwa said.

The cruise terminal expansion and other improvements, which total $16.3 million, has been delayed numerous times.

In January 2014, the port’s governing board approved a five-year agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises that would generate a minimum of $1.86 million in annual operating revenue for the public docks. The deal was predicated on the port making improvements to Cruise Terminal No. 2. Royal Caribbean said the agreement would mean more island sailings and promised a larger vessel — Liberty of the Seas — to replace its Navigator of the Seas.

Construction of the expanded terminal was slowed because engineers found problems. Without a substantial upgrade to the supporting piles, soil conditions would have made the foundation in a section of the building subject to considerable settlement. The expansion was supposed to be completed by the first sailing of Liberty of the Seas in November. The cost increased to $13.2 million.

To satisfy the cruise line, the Wharves Board of Trustees, which governs the port, approved rental of a 10,000-square-foot tent to keep waiting passengers inside. The tent cost $75,000 a month for the first three months and $35,000 per month after that. The port also bought a $48,000 portable restroom and parked it adjacent to the tent.

Renting the tent, which will be taken down after the Fourth of July weekend, cost $434,100, Mierzwa said.

Constructing three additional mooring bollards and dockage to secure the Liberty of the Seas was hampered by a search expedition for a 19th century Texas Navy Ship. In September, work on the $2.9 million project was delayed until archaeologists determined the site had no signs of the warship Zavala.

In 1842, the Zavala was run aground in a mud flat to keep it from sinking and then allowed to deteriorate, according to historical reports. Because the site is of historical interest, the state required the port to secure an antiquities permit and allow archaeologists to conduct surveys.

Contact reporter Chacour Koop at 409-683-5241 or chacour.koop@galvnews.com.

What's the current situation for parking in Galveston. I know it has changed since I last cruises and some lots can't get you to the terminal anymore but have to leave you outside.

Thanks for your help

Tucker in Texas

Where did you see hear that?

We live here and that would be all over on the street and forums.

Vip and park and cruise provide parking directly across street from terminals and you CAN walk directly over from those lots , but it is by your own choice to park there and walk.

Please provide the source of the information.

The new terminal opened yesterday. I've been told they have shuttled from the port parking lots to the terminal, actually read that in a news article. EZ Parking took us to the terminal in March. Many independent lots have two prices, one if you drag your own bag, and one if you are shuttled to the terminal.

Thanks since we live here , and do not use shuttles , we are unaware of this option and choice at the other parking lots.

Where did you see hear that?

We live here and that would be all over on the street and forums.

Vip and park and cruise provide parking directly across street from terminals and you CAN walk directly over from those lots , but it is by your own choice to park there and walk.

Please provide the source of the information.

Tucker is correct regarding the lot we used last time, Cruise Park. They do not provide a shuttle to the port, though they would pick us up outside the port if called.

From their website: "No shuttle to the terminal is provided. (emphasis mine) The parking lot is within walking distance to the terminals. The walk to the terminal takes about 5 minutes, more or less."

Tucker is correct regarding the lot we used last time, Cruise Park. They do not provide a shuttle to the port, though they would pick us up outside the port if called.

From their website: "No shuttle to the terminal is provided. (emphasis mine) The parking lot is within walking distance to the terminals. The walk to the terminal takes about 5 minutes, more or less."

EZ Cruise Parking is allowed to park in front of the terminal, as are others. They stArted charging them more for each load so that's why EZ offers either option. I think it's either 10 or 15 dollars difference in the two rates.

EZ Cruise Parking is allowed to park in front of the terminal, as are others. They stArted charging them more for each load so that's why EZ offers either option. I think it's either 10 or 15 dollars difference in the two rates.

And I think it's great that some lots, like EZ, offer options. Younger folks with no problems walking can save some $ that way! :)

However CruisePark, as I mentioned, does not offer the option of a shuttle directly to the terminals. But it does have good rates and very courteous personnel. And they do offer a shuttle from across the street in front of terminal 1 if you call them.

I think I should mention, for those sailing Royal Caribbean, "in front of the terminal" means only across the street from the front of Carnival terminal 1.

Whenever we have tried to walk, with our luggage, out the exit gate in front of the RCL terminal 2, we have been harshly told by port officers that we could NOT exit there, and must walk way up to the Carnival entrance.

(Others might have had better luck, but we have been yelled at every time.)

Not a terribly long walk for young people, but for us older folks dragging luggage, it might be a problem, especially in hot or rainy weather. Just thought I would mention that, if it's a consideration.

Maybe with the new addition to terminal 2, the port will change their rather odd traffic patterns here. One can only hope.:rolleyes:

Anyway, to Tucker and others looking at parking options, be sure to check the lots' web sites to see if they do actually offer shuttles directly to the terminals, if that is what best meets your needs. Not all of them do, as you said.

There are several good options, either way. On our upcoming cruise we are trying Lighthouse, as we have noticed their shuttles seem to come pretty frequently to terminal 2.

HTH! Jan

We always use Lighthouse. A little bit of a walk from the drop off/pick up point but not bad and definitely not as far down as the other terminal. I don't know what might have changed with the new terminal.

Thanks, Lou! Haven't used them before, so I'm glad to know you and Herb like them.

One of these days we need to get the Alamo Cruisers together again!

Jan

Don't know if you had it but there is a discount code "anysail". Herb just told me he would like to go in a day early this time so we may do one of the hotels with free parking if we decide to do that.

Appreciate that info, Lou, thanks! When are you sailing?

Don't know if you had it but there is a discount code "anysail". Herb just told me he would like to go in a day early this time so we may do one of the hotels with free parking if we decide to do that.

Anysail is the discount code for EZCruise Parking. Does another lot use the same discount code?

Anysail is the discount code for EZCruise Parking. Does another lot use the same discount code?

Karen, have read that Lighthouse will honor the EZ cruise coupons. Haven't tried it because we always use EZ Cruise, but think you have to book on line to use the EZ cruise coupon.

Carla

A couple of hours ago I watched Liberty head out to sea for the final holiday weekend sailing before we go! One more hurdle crossed.

Oops. I meant to post this on the roll call for Sept. 4 cruise. Can't wait for my new glasses to get here. [emoji849]